Best country to live in?

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Best country to live in?

Ok, i'm kinda hesitant to post this b/c of the push in society to be all ra ra ra patriotic, but I've never held any loyalties to governments or states and I am looking to leave the United States when I get out of college.  Does anyone know what countries would be most enjoyable for a liberal atheist ex-patriot to live in? I'm looking for a place with a bill of rights (a real one that isn't ignored by the government) ,a high acceptance of atheists, universal health care, and good schools. It can be anywhere, but preferably in Europe. Any ideas? I was thinking England, but I want to do more research. I know Sweden has the most atheists, but I already have to learn French, German, and Latin before I get out into the real world and adding another language to that list isn't what I want to do.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I traveled in Europe -

When I traveled in Europe - Italy and Germany - I didn't come across a single person that didn't know English. I know it's not a long term solution because you don't want to look like a tourist for the rest of your life but I wouldn't consider language to be insurmountable considering you could pick it up over time once you were there.

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Swedes, especially those

The Swedes, especially those in academia, are pretty good with English--they're required to take it, actually.  I've thought about heading there myself, given that and the fact that my birthday is their national holiday.

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: Ok, i'm

Medievalguy wrote:
Ok, i'm kinda hesitant to post this b/c of the push in society to be all ra ra ra patriotic, but I've never held any loyalties to governments or states and I am looking to leave the United States when I get out of college. Does anyone know what countries would be most enjoyable for a liberal atheist ex-patriot to live in? I'm looking for a place with a bill of rights (a real one that isn't ignored by the government) ,a high acceptance of atheists, universal health care, and good schools. It can be anywhere, but preferably in Europe. Any ideas? I was thinking England, but I want to do more research. I know Sweden has the most atheists, but I already have to learn French, German, and Latin before I get out into the real world and adding another language to that list isn't what I want to do.

I know Canada isn't in Europe, but it has everything you've mentioned, plus some other advantages:

- open immigration policy: if you meet the criteria, you're in (i.e., no country/region quotas).

- You already speak 50% of the national languages.

- Your average Canadian arch-conservative would be slightly left of center if s/he were in American politics.

- The place is huge and diverse; you'll be able to find a town/city in which you'd enjoy living.

- Roughly speaking, American educational degrees transfer directly, so if a job in Canada requires a Bachelor's degree, they'll take an American BS/BA without having to get your degree "certified" (but there are exceptions to this rule).

- There is a general "meh, who cares?" attitude about religion here. There are lots of churches and religious people, but public religiosity is much reduced over what you get in the States.

It's not all roses, though:

- many goods and services here are more expensive than in the US (sometimes for not apparent good reason): alcohol and cigarettes are heavily taxed. Cell phones are quite a bit more expensive here (this is one of the "no good reason" areas). As a counterpoint, you don't pay tax on most of your food (anything that is not single serving; so a can of pop or an entree in a restaurant would be taxed, but a loaf of bread is not).

- some services are reduced (no mail delivery on Saturdays, so if you don't get it Friday, you won't have it for three more days).

- gas is more expensive (currently $1.10/litre where I am; that's $4.15/gal).

- you'll have to get comfortable with metric (but you'd have to do that in Europe, too).

--
maybe if this sig is witty, someone will love me.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
While we're asking about

While we're asking about this stuff, if one were to go to Canada and get citizenship, then ex-pat from the U.S., would there be anything on the new Canadian VISA that would give me away as a former American?

(Supposing I wanted to move somewhere warmer that isn't friendly to Americans.)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: While

Hambydammit wrote:

While we're asking about this stuff, if one were to go to Canada and get citizenship, then ex-pat from the U.S., would there be anything on the new Canadian VISA that would give me away as a former American?

Other than being white and english speaking? ^_^ me no thinks so

What Would Kharn Do?

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
For me it's Canada all the

For me it's Canada all the way.

I love this place.

Every part of nature you could imagine.  Huge diversity in weather.

Our electoral system, which is far from perfect, is light years ahead of the US.  Our economy is strong, a social movement world leader.

Specifically, the Vancouver area is simply fantastic (as long as you don't mind a bit of rain).

A public health care system, gun laws, a ton of culural diversity.  All that and you can still shop in the US! =P 

shikko
User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

If you become a citizen, you won't have a visa anymore and can get a Canadian passport; the passport may or may not have info on its record about being an immigrant; I don't know.

Are you thinking of eventually ending up in the land of cigars, good rum and illegal American detention centres? You could probably do that with a Canadian passport.

--

User is offlineOffline

Hambydammit wrote:

A canadian passport does list your birth country on it. 

shikko
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist wrote: For me

Mr. Atheist wrote:

For me it's Canada all the way.

I love this place.

Every part of nature you could imagine. Huge diversity in weather.

Ha! Sometimes in the same province. BC has both rain forests and a desert. Summertime highs of 40C (that's ~103F for the Americans) vs summertimes highs of 18C (64F).

Quote:

Our electoral system, which is far from perfect, is light years ahead of the US. Our economy is strong, a social movement world leader.

I didn't mention anything about the economy, because I think that the whole North American economy is in for a drop. As they say, the US sneezes and Canada gets a cold.

Quote:

Specifically, the Vancouver area is simply fantastic (as long as you don't mind a bit of rain).

This is a good example of the much-vaunted Canadian sense of humour; in this instance, this is using understatement for humourous effect.

--

MyDogCole
MyDogCole's picture
User is offlineOffline
60 Minutes just did a report

60 Minutes just did a report on Denmark -- the happiest nation on earth:

User is offlineOffline
I think if you look at the

I think if you look at the past couple years you'll see the US dollar falling through a pit and out dollar going  from being in the range of worth 65 cents on the US dollar to being worth more than the US dollar recently.

There is still a lot of reliance there, but it has proven to stand strong in the wake of the softwood lumber dispute and the beef bans which are two of our biggest exports into the US historically.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: If you become a

Quote:
If you become a citizen, you won't have a visa anymore and can get a Canadian passport; the passport may or may not have info on its record about being an immigrant; I don't know.

I asked that kind of funky.  What I meant is that if I had a Canadian passport, would my travel VISA have my previous American citizenship on it.

Quote:
Are you thinking of eventually ending up in the land of cigars, good rum and illegal American detention centres? You could probably do that with a Canadian passport.

Not specifically, though it has its charms (apart from the American detention centers). 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: A canadian passport

Quote:
A canadian passport does list your birth country on it.

Well, fuck.

Anyway, I hear Vancouver is nice.  I just soooo want to retire where it's warm.

Books about atheism

DamnDirtyApe
Silver Member
DamnDirtyApe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Warmth, old age and the 21st

Warmth, old age and the 21st century don't mix, I'm afraid.  I'm not talking about global warming.  I'm talking about emerging tropical diseases.  Given how much we all generally hate metaphorical brain parasites, I can't imagine that will remain a popular choice for much longer. 

"The whole conception of God is a conception derived from ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men."
--Bertrand Russell