Will Nano Machinery mark the end for religion?

theevolvedone
theevolvedone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Will Nano Machinery mark the end for religion?

This exciting new form of technology that is reasonably close to being fully developed may mark the end of religion in my opinion.  Prayer continually thought to heal the sick which obviously does not if theists/god believers would look at statistics of prayer.  I once heard that a family kept a loved one on life support even though his/her brain had liquefied.  Their excuse was well god works miracles ....of course god didnt.  It sickens me to no end to hear christians/theists say that god pulls people out of life and into death.  if god pulls people out of life he is one sick bastard.  I knew a really nice girl once whos father, mother, and brother were all killed in the same year in car accidents.  So nanomachinery will have the ability to manipulate anything about our bodies we wish, so does anyone think that cheating death or becoming immortal will spell an abrupt end to religion?  This technology will be the real miracle of human civilization in my opinion due to its great potential to destroy diseases, repair bodily damage, grant immortality, eliminate famine, and many other things.  I suppose there is another use of it but whether it is ethical or not is another story.  Mind manipulation would be a real possibility as well if the mind was fully understood.  So perhaps people could have knowledge directly implanted into their minds.  Just some thoughts. Peace everyone

Doubt is the root of all wisdom. - Unknown

Knowing will come from the practice of understanding - Myself

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Simple answer ... no. There

Simple answer ... no.

There have been much larger things in the past that hit religion, some of which have only been accepted as true by the catholic church in the last 10-20 years and others that are still not being accepted despite being actively used productively for at least the last 10-20 years.  A round earth, medicine, astronomy, evolution, the list goes on. Nanotechnology is just building on these ideas, it's not a revolutionary new concept as they were.

There's other things being worked on as well that will have a greater detrimental affect on religion than nanotechnology in my mind - namely cloning and AI. 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Camelspider
Camelspider's picture
User is offlineOffline
personally i think that the

personally i think that the impact will be one of political and social unrest, caused by religion. at the worst this will strengthen religion, at best they will ignore it as just another scientific breakthrough. i can almost hear them now, screaming about how its a mark of the beast or a way for the big bad new world order to take over our fragile minds, and telling us all to never send them any more money.....hmmm maybe that is a good thing. Smiling

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
When nanotechnology is

When nanotechnology is developed to heal the body you can damn well bet that the gov't will be reasearching the mind control aspect.  Let's hope we don't have a bunch of jeebus phreeks running the country then.  We'll be a bunch of zombies in the christian army marching off to the new crusades in the new dark ages.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Camelspider
Camelspider's picture
User is offlineOffline
well if that happens then we

well if that happens then we wont care, so....i will take that chance. besides we can always say no....i hope

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

CircleK
CircleK's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "god of the gaps" will

The "god of the gaps" will always remain. As long as there is ignorance, there will be religion.

Camelspider
Camelspider's picture
User is offlineOffline
well you really have to ask

well you really have to ask yourself...how long will this particular "God Of The Gaps" reign. it couldn't be much longer...i hope.....and pray to the new un-named god of science...

oh yeah i forgot....science cant be god because science refutes god......

AlexTheAtheist
AlexTheAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah there are definitely

Yeah there are definitely people who will find ways to attribute nanotechnology to "God", or find a reason to fight it. The same goes for everything else scientific. Either they try to dismiss it, actively fight against it, or make it "God's" doing. Evolution is either "God's" work or the work of the "devil". Nanotechnology will be the same, unfortunately. It seriously hinders any scientific advancements.

Living life to its fullest, without the need for a "God" Laughing out loud
-
Becoming an Atheist has made my world make sense, but the people in it less and less so.

EveL
User is offlineOffline
I read this article on this

I read this article on this subject a few days ago: http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=18142

Quote:

(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- In a study conducted by Arizona State University, only 29.5 percent of the respondents thought nanotechnology was morally acceptable. That compares to 54.1 percent in the United Kingdom, 62.7 percent in Germany and 72.1 percent in France.

Nanotechnology is a branch of science that focuses on developing, designing and producing materials, structures, devices and circuits at the smallest possible scale. There are dozens of products that make use of this kind of technology already on the market.

Dietram Scheufele, Ph.D., professor of life sciences communication at University of Wisconsin-Madison presented the information at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science held in Madison, Wis., on Feb. 15, 2008. Dr. Scheufele who conducted the survey with colleague Elizabeth Corley, thinks the core of the difference between Americans and European attitudes is religion. “The United States is a country where religion plays an important role in peoples’ lives. The importance or religion in these different countries that shows up in data set after data set parallels exactly the differences we’re seeing in terms of moral views. European countries have a much more secular perspective,” Dr. Scheufele was quoted as saying.

Dr. Scheufele believes that Americans with strong religious convictions lump nanotechnology, biotechnology and stem cell research together as a means to enhance human qualities which to them is viewed as “playing God”. He also says these moral qualms are not rooted in a lack of understanding. The respondents were well informed about nanotechnology and its potential benefits.

“They still oppose it,” says Dr. Scheufele. “They are rejecting it based on religious beliefs. The issue isn’t about informing these people. They are informed.”

Dr. Scheufele thinks the scientific community needs to do a better job of placing technology in context and understanding the attitudes of the American public.

The study was done under he auspices of the National Science Foundation funded Center for Nanotechnology in Society at ASU.

I never understood what the Christians had against nanotechnology. These same people will go to the hospital when they are sick yet for some unforeseen reason, it is possible to do too good of a job keeping people alive.

theevolvedone
theevolvedone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting article. I am

Interesting article. I am not at all surprised by those statistics.  Little do theists know that science has kept them alive ie vaccines, medicines, transportation, food production, etc...  Nanomachines is just something to boost efficiency of things science has already done for us and them.  The world is in such a sad state of affairs it seems.  And yes religion/mysticism/supersticion has been a thorn in science's side for soo long....if it hadnt we might have enough knowledge now to even live on other planets and live as long as we wanted.  I was watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos the other day and saw a prime example of it hindering science at the library of Alexandria.  So much knowledge and understanding lost in such a short time and for what? Like he said its our responsiblity to see that it doesnt happen again.  With computers at least we have a fighting chance of preserving the wealth of knowledge and understanding that our species has accumulated over the years.  I guess what the real threat now isnt a mob of religious zealots but a few religious zealots who have the power to start a nuclear war. 

Doubt is the root of all wisdom. - Unknown

Knowing will come from the practice of understanding - Myself

pettman
User is offlineOffline
theevolvedone wrote:grant

theevolvedone wrote:
grant immortality
Can't be done, sooner or later you will die (if you live long enough you might die with the universe though).

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I never understood

Quote:
I never understood what the Christians had against nanotechnology. These same people will go to the hospital when they are sick yet for some unforeseen reason, it is possible to do too good of a job keeping people alive.

...Aren't a number of Christian faiths opposed to going to the hospital?

I'm not surprised by this at all. If you're going to die, why that's God's will! And what are abunch of rediculous machines in comparison to the will of the divine creator?

Besides - how are we supposed to visit His glorious kingdom if we're all duped into staying alive like a bunch of chumps by the sinister forces of 'science'?

The fact is, the high end of the medical field is a threat to the religious illusion. It's lifting the veil off of something that they just don't want to see. So, they bare their teeth and combat progress.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
If religous folk don't like

If religous folk don't like technology,they should live in the wilderness like their imaginary deity. I'll keep enjoying the benefits of an easier life,while they will live to the ripe old age of 31.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Camelspider
Camelspider's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: they should live in

Quote:
they should live in the wilderness like their imaginary deity

hey, i like living in the "wilderness" and i can tell you that no god lives here.....unless you are talking about me and then yes.i am after all god to my dog right?