The Bablefish Arguement.

Maytacera
Maytacera's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Bablefish Arguement.

The following is an except from "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"by Douglas Adams.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non existance of god.
The arguement goes something like this. "I refuse to prove that I exist" says God 'For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says man"The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exists, and so therefore, by your own arguements, you don't. QED"
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Alright. We know that Babel fish do not exist. Look deeper than that. Many times when I ask why god does not just appear before me if he wants me to believe in him, I am told that it is because he wants you to have faith...well, alright. In this case, wouldn't any evidence that is thought to prove his existance contradict his wish for faith, and disprove him as a being that demands faith?

Vesha
Vesha's picture
User is offlineOffline
God revealed himself all the

God revealed himself all the fucking time in the bible ,but for some reason he stopped doing that.  Is it because we can't understand the mind of god or is it because it was all bullshit? Hmm tough one I could go either way on this.

bluescat48
bluescat48's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vesha wrote: God revealed

Vesha wrote:
God revealed himself all the fucking time in the bible ,but for some reason he stopped doing that. Is it because we can't understand the mind of god or is it because it was all bullshit? Hmm tough one I could go either way on this.

Yes and only to one group of people. If he existed and was revealing himself, would he not have revealed himself to all since the Bible says that he created man.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maytacera wrote: Many times

Maytacera wrote:
Many times when I ask why god does not just appear before me if he wants me to believe in him, I am told that it is because he wants you to have faith....

That's got to be the stupidest fucking argument I ever heard. That's like telling people that you own an invisible car and the proof that it exists is that you can't see it.

Some theists are mentally qualified for handicapped parking.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?