Ordained Atheist Minister

CheshireCat9
CheshireCat9's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ordained Atheist Minister

Pretty new to the forum here, and i wanted to ask if any one else here is an Ordained Minister and an Atheist? I am going to be just as soon as I fill out the information on www.ulc.org

just for fun. i have a lot of religious family and i cant wait to tell them at christmas time.

edit: i just had to add that at that site you can also pick up your Jedi Knight Certificate! its official

well i used to stand for something
now i'm on my hands and knees
traded in my god for this war
and he signs his name with a capital g

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am!  Before I solidified

I am!  Before I solidified my stance, I liked the ULC's focus on "everyone finding their own path". Though the founder of the church is a rambling ex-Baptist minister. His stuff reads just like a fast-talking preacher. : ) But his collegues didn't appreciate his theory that Jesus was the anit-Christ.

-Triften 

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sweet, maybe I'll get 5

Sweet, maybe I'll get 5 different ones just to make sure I can piss off most of thw worlds population. Laughing out loud

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

CheshireCat9
CheshireCat9's picture
User is offlineOffline
lookie what I just

lookie what I just found.

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/atheist-minister-in-your-area/

I filled in the stuff, waiting for conformation.  Ill let u know what it says so everyone can join in the fun. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Wow, the only atheist

Wow, the only atheist minister listed in Texas lives in my town!

CheshireCat9
CheshireCat9's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is he an aggie too?   I

Is he an aggie too?

I cant think of a proper joke, ill get back to you. 

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, I just registered to be

Hey, I just registered to be ordained with the First Church of Atheism.  I wonder if I can get tax exempt status?

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote: Hey, I just

Bulldog wrote:
Hey, I just registered to be ordained with the First Church of Atheism. I wonder if I can get tax exempt status?

Absolutely, if you run a ministry. That's part of the point of the ULC and the FCA. They've handled the legal battles so anyone can run a ministry under the (in my opinion, ridiculous) protection of the law. Maybe you can start a weekly hanging out group and make it tax exempt. Weekly sermons on various video games (or what have you)... hmmm...

-Triften 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
A judge in Pennsylvania

A judge in Pennsylvania recently ruled that these aren't valid - at least in terms of performing marriages. There's a state law that in order to be considered ordained you have to either have a congregation or be part of an established church. There were stories about people getting their cats ordained and such.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I've got a bunch of

Well, I've got a bunch of fish that I know aren't too bright, they could be my congregation!  Or, do they have to be human, I know intelligence has nothing to do with it.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in California, land

I live in California, land of the warehouse churches.  I could put the Great Spaghetti Monster on my roof (pointed at the church across the street) and I've got a church!  I don't think CA has any laws about "established" churches.  Hell, I think we have more wacko sects in this state than anywhere else.

CheshireCat9
CheshireCat9's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am going to have to look

I am going to have to look into the marrage thing because the first person I told about being a Minister asked me to marry her and her boyfriend next summer.  I dont know how serious she was but I would totally do it, if I can.

If not Ill just go register through the ULC instead. 

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cheshire, it depends on the

Cheshire, it depends on the state (I've looked into it before). In some places you have to register with the county before you perform a service. I think ULC has a list to give some guidance.

-Triften

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
CheshireCat9 wrote: Is he

CheshireCat9 wrote:

Is he an aggie too?

I cant think of a proper joke, ill get back to you.

Probably.

(I'm NOT an aggie BTW.) :P 

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

pettman
User is offlineOffline
CheshireCat9 wrote: I am

CheshireCat9 wrote:

I am going to have to look into the marrage thing because the first person I told about being a Minister asked me to marry her and her boyfriend next summer. I dont know how serious she was but I would totally do it, if I can.

Marriage should have its "legal" part and ritual part separated, i.e. you can have 20 marriage ceremonies and still be married or the other way around (no ceremony but still get married).

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
CheshireCat9 wrote: I am

CheshireCat9 wrote:

I am going to have to look into the marrage thing because the first person I told about being a Minister asked me to marry her and her boyfriend next summer. 

I got this a few years ago. After I got it a couple of friends asked me to marry them. So I did. It seemed it all worked out ok. They paid me in beer. Smiling

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
So the nighr before I got

So the nighr before I got ordained on this site, my friends were talking about who they wanted to marry them and they decided they wanted me to marry them.

Without being aware of this, I became ordained and then I sent them an e-mail telling them as much and joking that they should think of me when they tie the knot.

Now they are super exited and want me to perform the ceremony for sure.  

So, what a cool coincidence! 

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
pettman

pettman wrote:
CheshireCat9 wrote:

I am going to have to look into the marrage thing because the first person I told about being a Minister asked me to marry her and her boyfriend next summer. I dont know how serious she was but I would totally do it, if I can.

Marriage should have its "legal" part and ritual part separated, i.e. you can have 20 marriage ceremonies and still be married or the other way around (no ceremony but still get married).

You can, you just have to be married by a judge or representative of the state. 

Anonymous1211111 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
different states have

different states have different laws. I have been ordained with the First Church Of Atheism for a while now and they will send you a letter of good standing as well as your ordaining papers which is all most states need to register to do weddings. I got mine as more fuel towards starting an Atheist "church" in my hometown, not tax exempt lol but we do get to talk about freedom FROM religion and seperation of church and state in an organized group. more of a discussion/study group lol. Now my group has left since i joined the military and began doing the same thing here in kansas. I have preformed two weddings with my papers. one in Georgia and one in Iowa...as i said different states, different laws. I hope this helps.

Joseph Kenneth K.
User is offlineOffline
I am

I am an Ordained minister! And an Atheist!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
But

Joseph Kenneth K. wrote:

I am an Ordained minister! And an Atheist!

Why, JK? Is the pension plan really that good?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been ordained through

I've been ordained through the ULC, CotSG, and UCTAA since 98. I hold a degree in Applied Apathy from UCTAA which I am especially proud of.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.