Women: I am one and I don't get them.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Women: I am one and I don't get them.

So today I was sitting on the floor of my kitchen cleaning my teakettle and thinking about women.

I am a woman, but for some reason I feel much more comfortable in the company of men. To tell you the truth, most women annoy me. I don't know why. Maybe it's the woo-woo or the gossiping or the mindless shallow chatter.

I am wondering if it has something to do with being of the more rational persuasion. The females I know tell me that I am too logical, too rational,and not emotional enough. My mom says, "You're just like your dad. When bad things happen you don't get all exited about it" - and by exited she means, for example, not freaking out when something bad happens.

I am also wondering if other women on this board feel the same way. Do women boggle your mind? do you have far more male friends than female friends, and are you far closer (mentally) with your male friends? Are you more apt to get into a deep and meaningful conversation with a male than a female? I sure am!

Edit: I wanted to add that I am glad I can come to this forum and say "most women annoy me" without fear.

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I'm a girl, and I

Yeah, I'm a girl, and I usually have stronger bonds with boys.  I have three older sisters, and when we're all together, I'm always the one rolling my eyes when they talk about makeup and letting my mind drift.  My best friend in the world is a guy, and most of my friendships with females seem to be fleeting.  I'm not a tomboy or anything; I just can't have a lot of conversations with girls.  I think women enjoy talking about other people and items a lot with other girls, and since I don't find that all that compelling, I'd rather be around guys.  Often their conversations are equally shallow, but I'd rather discuss Batman or interesting ways to kill people than who's dating whom. 

That said, I don't think men are more rational than women in general.  I just think the average man is irrational in different areas of life than the average woman.  Stereotypically, men will pigheadedly refuse to ask for directions when it would be most convenient to do so.  When it comes to swallowing one's pride, men are known to be a little irrational.  

Anyway, I know as many brilliant women as brilliant men, and as many idiotic men as irrational women, so I don't hold with your generalization.  I do prefer spending time with men, however, because I just find it to be more fun. 

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    I will go on the

I will go on the record to say I don't get them at all, however I DO LOVE WOMEN, I love everything about women.....even their irrationality. Yes I said, I love women. Even though they confuse the hell out me at times.

Jello
User is offlineOffline
can I go on record saying

can I go on record saying Woman rock the party hard, yall? on and on untill the break of dawn?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
BAH i refuse to ask for

BAH i refuse to ask for directions because I paid good money for my GPS it damn well better know how to get from point a to point b

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, first off let me say I

Hi, first off let me say I deleted Iamgods post because it was simply too fucking weird, that kid needs to start taking his meds again.

As for women, I don`t get annoyed by them, at least I try not to. I simply apperciate them as a slightly different speceis. Eye-wink 

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote: BAH i

latincanuck wrote:
BAH i refuse to ask for directions because I paid good money for my GPS it damn well better know how to get from point a to point b

Ha! I LOVE my GPS. Also, I don't think most of my male friends would refuse to ask for directions. I will take an informal poll today Smiling

A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is a good reason why

There is a good reason why we invented the GPS. Like you said, some men are to stubborn to ask for directions and don't want to be seen reading a map, but all guys love gadgets, so, logically, if you turn a map into a gadget it is guy-acceptable to consult it for directions. Eye-wink

But I dunno, I think its kinda 50-50 on the illogical-ness. I know some really illogical guys. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Would I be acting like a

Would I be acting like a guy if I went into problem solver mode and mentioned that there's strong evidence that aside from minor differences in a couple of kinds of reasoning, it appears that women's preference for lighter conversation is cultural, not biological?

Did you know that Mother's Day was originally a day where all mothers got away from their families, and got back to doing what good, civically responsible women should be doing -- politics and civil service?

Look it up.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Omnibus
User is offlineOffline
Meh, I'm a misanthrope. I

Meh, I'm a misanthrope. I avoid people and conversation unless it is brief (HATE small talk) and on my terms--usually.

I must say though, I have worked for and with men, and for and with women. In such instances I prefer men. I once had a job where everyone was a woman. It was the most viciously passive aggressive environment I have ever been in. Those women were cruel.

Too bad stupidity isn't poisonous.

Zan
User is offlineOffline
When I am lost I stop and

When I am lost I stop and ask directions at the first opportunity.  My wife not only won't do this but is terribly embarassed when I do it.  Go figure.

Maybe women are more emotional, as a group, than men. Mabye not.  Our culture tells us it is alright for women to display all sorts of emotions but "boys don't cry".   I sure as Hell do and I think it is good for a person to expunge stress this way.  Having always been an outsider I am probably far less sensitive what "everybody will think".  I have this trick I can do.  I can think of the final scene in either of two movies and my eyes tear up in about 5 seconds. A lot of actors wish they could do this.

I like the company of women or men about equally.  That is a generalized statement. 

One of the few things I dislike about women in general is the fact that most of them are manipulators.  I just hate being manipulated.  My wife is one of them.  Just try to get a straight answer from her about what she wants.  She always goes back to that old "make him think it is his idea" stuff.  I have heard women giggle to each other about doing this. GRRR!

Disclaimer.  This too is a generalized statement.  If you tell your trouble to a man he will usually start offering advice.  If you tell your troubles to a woman she will usually start offering sympathy.   

Yeah, I think it is mostly cultural and not only that but I think it is rapidly changing.  The lives of women have changed in the blink of an eye even by modern historical standards.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I tend to feel more

Well, I tend to feel more comfortable around men than I do women.  I think it has to do with the ridiculous competition or the fact that women seem to feel the need to put down one another.  Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying I don't act in the same annoying way that other women do.  I have my moments, my emotional, irrational breakdowns.  I just don't think they happen very often. 

As for deep conversations, I think my female and male friends are the same.  We all seem to contribute equally in conversations and everyone is able to hold their own.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Zan
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane I agree with

pariahjane I agree with you.  I can't tell any difference between the sexes as far as serious conversations are concerned. 

There is something very few of you girls know.  I'll bet you think we men "kiss and tell".  Almost none do.  Another strange thing is that you girls can have serious group discussions about sex.  Men never do. One on one is different.

If the subject of sex is mentioned the conversation immediately breaks down into bad jokes and nervous laughter.  I have some theories but don't really know why this is.

On my other forum I think they feel I am obsessed with the subject.  I am to a degree.  It is possibly the strangest area of human behavior... next to religion.

One thing I like about many women is that they have compassion for ugly people.  They will say that they would date some poor, unattractive schmuck if they weren't already married, dating some else, etc.  They probably wouldn't but at least they are kind enough to say it.  I have never heard men say this.  

One thing that might help you understand the behavior of some men is that a huge percentage of us are terrified of not being masculine enough (read being gay).  There may be a good reason for it.  Shrinks tell us that boys go through a phase when they feel other boys are attractive.  It really doesn't mean anything but it scares the Hell out of boys and they shut down even thinking of it.  That is why it is perfectly OK for girls to say they think another girl is pretty but men will die, go to Hell, and suffer the dammed for eternity before they will say they think another man is attractive.  Hope this helps.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
My family is matriarchal,

My family is matriarchal, and my most lasting friendships have always been with women.  I think that the major problem with "platonic" relationships is that they are rarely platonic.  Whether the two want to admit it, there is always one person who would be pleased if the relationship would go to another level. 

Really, it ends up being heart breaking.  Either, the relationship remains as it is, and someone appears to be the person longing for more.  Or, the relationship becomes something more, and we know how often that sort of relationship works out; so, a beautiful friendship is lost.  I have tried these hightened relations with two dear friends and will mourn the decision forever.

So, do you ladies who prefer the company of men as friends see what I am talking about, or am I an absurdly over-the-top romantic?

(For those who have seen me as only a misanthrope, if you prick me, do I not bleed?)

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Would I

Hambydammit wrote:

Would I be acting like a guy if I went into problem solver mode and mentioned that there's strong evidence that aside from minor differences in a couple of kinds of reasoning, it appears that women's preference for lighter conversation is cultural, not biological?

I have always found the stereotype that men go into problem solver mode and women go into sympathetic mode when presented with a problem amusing because I go into problem-solver mode. I have to work at being sympathetic and emotional. 

www.ziztur.com

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most of my friends happen

Most of my friends happen to be female, although I myself happen to have a Y chromosome (small, misshapen, but definitely still there).  I wouldn't say that women are necessarily less logical, but I do think that there are women out there who act like stereotypical 'women' do just for the sake of being part of the herd.

A perfect example:  my ex is a veterinary technician.  Works with animals, deals with blood, stool, all manners of grotesqueness.  She freaks out whenever there's a spider on the floor.

I love women.  I don't claim to understand them, and I'll begrudge them their irrationalities as long as they don't mind me screaming at the TV when something political or sports-related happens.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

heike6
SuperfanBronze Member
heike6's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with pariahjane, as

I agree with pariahjane, as well. Most of my friends have always been guys. The past few years, though, I have made a conscious effort to make more female friends. One thing I've noticed is that the less religious they are the easier to get along with they are as well. I met my best friend at an atheist meetup. Laughing

heike6
A single woman with no kids.

Teknison
Teknison's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Disclaimer.  This

Quote:
Disclaimer.  This too is a generalized statement.  If you tell your trouble to a man he will usually start offering advice.  If you tell your troubles to a woman she will usually start offering sympathy. 

When my lady friend is looking to be in distress I say "what do you want? sympathy, or solution?"

I only say it to try and lighten the mood because I think its funny how men and women react to problems.

It often results in me sleeping on the couch.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: When my lady friend

Quote:

When my lady friend is looking to be in distress I say "what do you want? sympathy, or solution?"

I only say it to try and lighten the mood because I think its funny how men and women react to problems.

It often results in me sleeping on the couch.

(chuckle)

My ex-gf was not exactly the most positive person in the universe, which is a large part of why she's an ex.  I used to tell her, "When you think I've said something hurtful to you, stop and think of all the possible ways I could have meant it.  Take the best one.  That's what I meant."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Wow. A friend of mine is

Wow. A friend of mine is EXACTLY like that, and I have said basically the exact same sentance to her many times.

www.ziztur.com

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
While I will admit that

While I will admit that guys are somewhat hard-wired to go for physically attractive women for the most part, there are some MAJOR exceptions to the rule.  Actually I wish I could figure out the opposite exceptions for men because I've never done that well with women.   ...but that's a whole different subject best left up to a qualified psychiatrist.

For one, I've known a lot of physically beautiful women that did not have...an attractive way of carrying themselves I suppose. An interesting personality or liveliness in some way. A much more average looking woman with an attractive personality is always more compelling to me.

At the far end of the spectrum I was at a birthday party a couple years ago where I was talking with a woman that I personally found very unattractive physically. We got into a conversation and she began discussing how she was taking part in a research study where they were pulling ancient sunken ships off the bottom of the mediterranean. Her job was to search through the planks of wood for minute traces of ancient pollen. After determining what design of the ship was and comparing the pollen found within the wood of the ship they could determine which ancient civilization was trading with which other ancient civilizations.

I wanted to kiss her so bad I could barely contain myself.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glad I am not the only one...

Quote: I am also wondering if other women on this board feel the same way. Do women boggle your mind? do you have far more male friends than female friends, and are you far closer (mentally) with your male friends? Are you more apt to get into a deep and meaningful conversation with a male than a female?

Women in general bother the hell out of me. I even bother me sometimes Smiling

I have a very hard time making friends with women, I am not sure if it is my "silver lining" attitude (makes it hard for them to constantly complain about the same thing) or my undying desire to solve every single problem a girlfriend brings up (makes it hard for them to Piss and moan about stuff for long because I solve the issue) I can't say that ALL women are this way but the ones I have met and hung out with are self-loathing, manipulative, complaining, whiny, prissy, fake and unable to control their tears at any sad story.

My friends are my husbands friends and they all happen to be men. I know women that consider me their friend but I consider them to be acquaintances as I do not desire to hang out with them for any extended period of time. 

Hmm... I wonder if I am the problem LOL

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Much like Watcher's story

Much like Watcher's story of the pollen finding girl, I find myself suddenly wanting to kiss ReneeObsidianwords' avatar.  I usually save my beliefs about childbearing for other venues, but every time I meet a woman who's dead set against having kids, it's a +5 on the Charisma roll.  (Yes, I know.  I'm a child of the 80s, so I still use those references sometimes.)

Oh, and Renee, don't tell me if you're not actually dead set against having kids.  Don't ruin my fantasy.

Books about atheism

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hi, first off let me say I

Hi, first off let me say I deleted Iamgods post because it was simply too fucking weird, that kid needs to start taking his meds again.

Really now ?

It's me again I AM ,  that virgin mary is a curse, me MOMMY explained it to me .... with milk filled breasts .....

here it is again for your rrs review. Whats the problem ?

" > From a male perspective, pfuck virgin mary hard, my mom hated that virgin shit, .... get over it girls, we are one, and viginas and wombs work hard. WE all need to get naked without guilt ..... Touch me , Feel me, Heal me< "

.... who would object ? 

?

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Heh. I am in the no kids

Heh. I am in the no kids boat. Babies are gross. I cannot imagine myself devoting 24/7/365 to another human being. Call me selfish.

www.ziztur.com

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
For whats it's worth, I

For whats it's worth, I spent most the day thinking about this thread (girls) ... so I googled a bit,

remembering .... mom use to do alot of ragging about the goody good girls, and prefered the company of men. The repressive influence of religion and virgin purity is huge. Women feel more free to be themselves around men. Women with women do often play the sad angry de-sexed role.

[ George Carlin and others have joked and cussed about this .... ]

I googled, virgin mary's effect on women, didn't find what I was looking for, but did find this, google the titles,

"The Virgin Mary is No Wonder Woman"

Compare and contrast for a moment the freeing empowering influence of Wonder Woman with what women have historically received from the Virgin Mary.

Is this a feminine role model that today's young women will or should follow? Hardly. Yes, Mary was a woman, but she was both de-sexed and de-humanized by a condescending and patriarchal hierarchy.---

"The Cult Of The Virgin Mary And Its Effect On Women's Sexuality" ... and roles ---

.... negative, harmful to the female , Virgin Mary is an assassination , a feminicide on women causing depressive symptoms, proneness to anxiety and anger, etc .....

googled, virgin mary sucks,

Origins of Feminism, Virgin Mary http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/95943/origins_of_feminism_hera_of_homers.html

The Vagina Monologues

Talking Vaginas

[ crazy ] Vatican warns that feminism is "lethal" to families… http://www.tldm.org/news7/feminism.htm

"Do you not recognize, My children, the signs of your times? Read and learn: 'Women will become unlike women. They shall go forth, and seven women will take hold of one man and say to him: Make me as you are. I wish to eat your bread.' [see Isaias 4:1]
"Know, My child, this simple lesson, that in these days of the latter times, women shall seek to cast off their role as mother and a woman. Woman will cast it off under the direction of satan, and murder her children. Woe to the woman who does not repent of this vile abomination! She has walked the road to eternal damnation and hell. Repent, O woman, or forever be lost!"
- Our Lady of the Roses, March 18, 1975

geeeeezzzzzzzzzzz ........ g e e z z z , I think I'll vote for Hillary ....

book, Feminist Christian Encounters: The Methods and Strategies of Feminist ... By Angela Pear -

Everyone's invited to my house to get naked and drunk , I am the father of a gorgeous 23 yr old daughter, who I raised as a single father, her mom freaked and ran at age 2, the two of them still aren't friends ???? ..... no my daughter won't be here, she lives happily with her lover boy friend , .....

uziyahuidf , Videos: 206 total , [ a cool jew ..!.. ]Virgin Mary: the Untold Story (Pt. 1) of 3, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyiQWKMZ8gk

- St Paul and Missionary Deception http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSRI2GYJ4Gg&feature=related

- The Virgin Mary? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM1twhNykmE

We are so beautiful, Hee Hee , Paul the False Apostle , 3 min This video will explain on why Paul is the false apostle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq8xvEGQNeo&feature=related

The Virgin Mary Sucks Cocks In Hell , 11 min, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIsnjiNj1A from superangrymonkey

RRS  R-O-C-K-S , we need some rich donating atheists here .... PR / $ / all for the kids, damn, we are almost dead ..... do ride a sea doo before it's too late ! .....

get along .... 

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Not_Your_Therapist

Not_Your_Therapist wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Ha! I LOVE my GPS. Also, I don't think most of my male friends would refuse to ask for directions. I will take an informal poll today Smiling

I took a poll. I asked 15 of my men if they would ask for directions if lost.

100% said yes, they would. Interesting! Smiling 

www.ziztur.com