Ben Stein is so stunningly retarded

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ben Stein is so stunningly retarded

How the hell can Ben Stein be so stupid?  He's got a movie claiming that to omit ID as a valid scientific hypothesis is BS.  Then puts on the false image of him being a "rebel".

Yeah, rebel against the minority by being on the same side as 90% of the people in your country.

<sarcasm>Damn he's such a daredevil.</sarcasm>

Holy crap.

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: Then puts on

Watcher wrote:
Then puts on the false image of him being a "rebel".

For the promo pics, he's wearing a suit and tie. I wouldn't give a rat's ass about that, but the pants are "short pants."

It works for Angus Young. For Ben Stein, not so much.

Also, as I've pointed out in another thread, this film (it's not good enough for me to call it a "movie" ) will be released on 12 Feb - Darwin's birthday.

Do you see what they did there?

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

Omnibus
User is offlineOffline
Despite my general pessimism

Despite my general pessimism regarding most people's judgement, I expect it to bomb--except as a fringe cult classic.

Too bad stupidity isn't poisonous.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Im sure that some fundy

Im sure that some fundy churches will promote this film as "proof" that they are being persecuted and that their "alternitive theory" has scientific merit, but that their voice is being crushed by Satan. Therefore anyone that is not on their side is on the side of Satan and is directly responsible for the increase in divorce, the climb in the unwed motherhood, crime, poverty and any other social ill imaginable that has occured since God got kicked out of the public schools in the early 1960's.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm still holding out that

I'm still holding out that this is a hoax. It has to be. Ben Stein is such a smart guy (his history has a speechwriter for Nixon aside). I loved his show Win Ben Stein's Money.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

joewhyit
User is offlineOffline
It's funny that I stumble

It's funny that I stumble across this post right now, since I received an e-mail the other day from my fundie mother containing something Stein wrote a while back, which I posted to my blog, along with my reply. I'll link to it, if y'all are interested. If not, that's cool, but either way, Stein should've stuck to the game show.

The blog post

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

film

What's wrong with films? Not that I'm serious exactly...  I usually refer to theatre released 'blockbusters' as movies, animations released in theatre as movies and everything else as a film and all foreign and Canadian films as films.  Actually, even when I'd expect to use movie, I use film interchangeably.  I like films.  Don't call Ben Stein's movie a film! Sticking out tongue

On Ben Stein, they do get stupider, but then not all stupid people make movies about ID.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   hey joewhyit, fuck yeah

hey joewhyit, fuck yeah ....

joewhyit
User is offlineOffline
Huh? What'd I do?

Huh? What'd I do?

Orangustang
Orangustang's picture
User is offlineOffline
O'Reilly and Stein feeding

O'Reilly and Stein feeding off each other.

Compared to a lot of the creationists I've seen, Ben Stein still seems relatively reasonable. He doesn't seem to be debating the age of the Earth or any stupid shit like that. He just wants to fill in the things we don't know yet with God rather than accepting the concept of 'we don't know yet'. He clearly lacks education on the Miller-Urey experiment, though. I would expect him to know about that since he made a movie on the subject.

I must say, I am very disappointed. I thought he was one of the intelligent Jews like Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I love Stein as an actor, game show host, and economist, but he seems to be kind of clueless about biology, and now he's publicizing his ignorance for others to consume. I might have to see if I can get my hands on this movie without supporting him somehow, just to see what the hell this is really all about. 

The great tragedy of Science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.
- Thomas H. Huxley

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
- Abraham Lincoln

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
joewhyit Posts:
joewhyit
joewhyit's picture
Huh? What'd I do?

Huh? What'd I do?

you pleased me, you rocked my world...  

joewhyit
User is offlineOffline
Oh. Cool. You're welcome.

Oh. Cool. You're welcome. Sticking out tongue

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oranustang

Oranustang wrote:
intelligent Jews like Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Trey Parker isn't Jewish. Intellient, yes, but not a Jew.

Quote:
I might have to see if I can get my hands on this movie without supporting him somehow, just to see what the hell this is really all about.

I'm sure sombody will get thier hands on the ISO right before the release date and post it one Usenet or something. That or old-school "camera in the hands of some random guy in the audience" bootlegging.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
If Stein is to be believed,

If Stein is to be believed, theists have gotten awfully soft. Ten percent of the population is "pushing around" 90% of the population, and he makes it sound like we're bending them over and sodomizing them with a broomstick.

Where is their backbone? If he thinks theists are getting pushed around now, just wait and see and what happens over the next 10, 20 years...

Other than that, his missive is littered with the usual strawmen and logical fallacies...

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually look forward to

I actually look forward to this movie generating debate and showing how stupid the entire ID arguement is. Call me an optomist. /me shrugs

Morte alla tyrannus et dei