Bible verses that encourage pushing/spreading "gospel"

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bible verses that encourage pushing/spreading "gospel"

Hey guys,

Just had a theist deny that the xian bible encourages pushing religion down peoples throat. Obviously it doesn't say that exactly, but it does promote people to push their beliefs. Does anyone know off hand, which passages talk about this. I seem to remember the bible addressing dealing with non-believers too, but I'm not sure about this. I'm going to do some research on this one when I get home, but if anyone could post any info to help me out I would much apreciate it. When I have more time I will post a link to the forum thread where we are debating.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your friend apparently has

Your friend apparently has never opened the book, or perhaps he has ignored the Gospels.  One of the basic doctrines of Christianity is the sending forth of the Disciples in Matt. 10, Mark 6 and Luke 9.  He sends them forth to preach repetance and the good news (evangellion = evangelize), that of which Paul talks about almost continually. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists. Books by Rook Hawkins (Thomas Verenna)

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
I believe that is a lot of

I believe that is a lot of shit Moderate Christians say to distance themselves from Fundies. Too bad they aren't following their religion that they claim to believe.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
2Tim 4:2 is the big one:

2Tim 4:2 is the big one: "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage with great patience and careful instruction." 

That alone should be enough to prove that the Bible charges Christians to preach. 

In addition, there are many verses that are used more or less in context to suggest that, because JC always sent people out to preach, that's what people should do.  For example: 

Acts 10:42 " And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God [to be] the Judge of quick and dead."

1Cr 9:16 " For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!"

Matt 28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Matt 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (With the 'light' represented as metaphoric of preaching the gospels.  This one is used as an excuse for preaching in public places.)

And there are others I can't locate offhand.

Also, this came up in another thread, Rev 3:16 is used as part of a doctrine that encourages Christians not to live and let live, but rather to try to convert people actively.  "So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

And then, as usual, there's a tradition that isn't entirely biblical of pressuring and brainwashing people to be pushy about it in certain demoninations.  In my Baptist Sunday school, we did role-plays where we practiced "witnessing" to "sinners" and we were told (I'm not making this up) that if we saw the opportunity to witness to somebody and didn't do it, and the person went to hell as a result, that the person's blood was on our hands.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
Raki wrote:

Raki wrote:
I believe that is a lot of shit Moderate Christians say to distance themselves from Fundies. Too bad they aren't following their religion that they claim to believe.

Unfortunately, from the stuff he has said I think he is a fundie. Their beliefs usually don't totally fit their religion. I've found them to be the most hipocrytical anyway. I'm gonna have fun owning this douchebag. He already resorted to namecalling, without much provaction, so the gloves are coming off.

Here's a link to the post:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304997&page=4

I'm TonyZXT in that forum too. He is StefanZ, you'll have to go back to the beggining of the thread to see what he wrote originally

Here's the one where he started name-calling (good christian values right there!)

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4590954#post4590954

edit: Textom thanks for posting those!  I may just copy and paste some of those into a post on the other forum since I got unexpectedly tied up tonight.

Anybody know of any more? 

"They always say the same thing; 'But evolution is only a theory!!' Which is true, I guess, and it's good they say that I think, it gives you hope that they feel the same about the theory of Gravity and they might just float the f**k away."

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
The two posts actually got

The two posts actually got kind of good. For entertainment value at least. You might get a kick out of seeing how thick headed this guy is. Although it can't be much different than the stuff the Theists here spout.

Thanks again to Textom for posting those verses!   

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
My pleasure. For me, these

My pleasure.

For me, these kinds of verses were the first steps to deconversion.  When you actually read the New Testament, you find that it very clearly says all Christians should abandon their families, give up all their material possessions and become full time homeless street preachers. There's no quesiton about that.

It was seeing how Christians rationalized away the Biblical injunctions--even to the extent now of "prosperity gospel" in which rich Christians somehow argue that God wants Christians to be wealthy--that first made me question what was going on and eventually led to my seeing the Bible as a tool used by deluded/selfish people to control other people's behavior.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

TonyZXT
atheist
TonyZXT's picture
User is offlineOffline
If anybody actualy read

If anybody actualy read those threads, and is interested, I ended the conversation (well my part anyway.)  I feel like I destroyed the guy, but of course he conceeds nothing.  Typical pig-headed fundie, I know. 

Anonymous101 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
For somone who doesn't care

For somone who doesn't care about or even believe in God, you guys sure do have fun smashing him.  What exactly is driving you?

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline
religion spread by force, the beginning

According to Flavius Josephus it started with Judah Maccabe imposing the Yahweh cult on Judah, aka Judea. His son and grandson, the priest kings of Judea, conquered Iodumaea, Galilee and Samaria forced them to adopt circumcision and Judean customs. The first two capitulated but there was only marginal success in Samaria.

This gives a different context to the story of Jesus the Galilean and his extreme dislike of the priests of Judea. It also why the apostate son of Constatine address the chrisitans as Galileans. It might also address why what Jewish records there are do not mention any false messiahs that coincide with Jesus as only a Judean could be any kind of messiah.

It most certainly explains the Judean hatred of the Herods as they were Iodumaeans. It is impolite for the conquered to turn the tables and rule.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymous101 wrote:For

Anonymous101 wrote:

For somone who doesn't care about or even believe in God, you guys sure do have fun smashing him.  What exactly is driving you?

Well, for all theists who follow religions which do not cause them to act violently, insist that others follow their religion, try to influence legislative bodies, or influence others with their religion in any other way, my signature explains what drives me to argue against the various different beliefs they hold. (Especially the various sects of Christianity that exist in America, because those versions of religion are the ones that affect me most directly.)

For religions practiced by all other theists. The answer is only partially contained in my signature. However, for these theists, I also am motivated by the fact that they are directly harming society through acts of violence, by creating unjustified laws motivated by religion, and their other intentional influences on the rest of the population.

I however, do not speak for other atheists and I don't represent the Rational Response Squad in any way. Other people may have different reasons.

edit: To summarize: the reason I care about the fact that people hold religious beliefs is because those beliefs and the actions they cause have negative effects on my life and the prosperity of the society I live in.

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

A saved Christain (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Any real Christain will

Any real Christain will spread the Gospel. God loves you and if you call upon his name you regardless of your sin you shall b saved.

Eliana (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
thanks!
  •  wow! thank you so much! this really helped! i have to write an essay about the responibilities of a christan and one of the paragraphs is about evangelism/ spreading the gospel. i was desprate for verses, so thanks! this really helped!     ~ eliana Smiling -12