An Atheist Register

Born_Atheist
Born_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
An Atheist Register

This is an atheist register, for anyone who may be interested:

http://www.atheistregister.com/modules/atheist-register/atheist-register-form.php

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
wtf

wtf

register? For what? For harassing phone calls and death threats? To get hunted down and beaten? Who's fucking web site is this?

People! Whatever you do don't fill out this form!

Oneandone
Private Registration
1&1 Internet, Inc. - http://1and1.com/contact 701 Lee Road, Suite 300
ATTN: atheistregister.com
PA
Chesterbrook
US
Phone: +1.8772064254

Why are they hiding their identity? 

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ummmm, no thanks. 

Ummmm, no thanks.  Generally, people who are a danger to society are registered.  Also, I seem to remember the Jew being forced to register in Germany. 

Born_Atheist:  Why would you suggest this?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
While it seems like a

While it seems like a legitimate site, I wouldn't recommend putting your actual name and town on there.  Call me suspicious, but it seems like a bad idea.  AiiA and Nero have stated why.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Woah!  I would be more

Woah!  I would be more than just careful... You don't even have to register on the site to see the full names and locations of individuals that signed up.  I saw one from my state - opened the phone book and, yeah - well, if I can do that any one can.

Besides, I don't feel like I need to have my name registered on a website to 'come out' as an atheist. 

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, no thanks.  It looks

Yeah, no thanks.  It looks like it might be legitmate, tho hard to tell.  Regardless as stated by others, I don't need my name on a website like that.  Theres plent of other ways that if someone wants to look me up they can. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still await a statement by

I still await a statement by Born_Atheist as to his motives for this thread.

Born_Atheist
Born_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
As I said, for anyone who

As I said, for anyone who may be interested. If not, don't register. I can understand why people would be leary and careful.

I had no 'motive' other than as an FYI. Sheesh.

Myself and some others from another atheist site signed it a few months ago, and as for myself I've not been contacted or harrassed in any way by any one. No one else I know who signed it has said they've been contacted or harrassed in any way, either.

BTW - I am female.

Keep your theology off my biology.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
No thanks.

No thanks.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
There sure isn't a lot

There sure isn't a lot going on there for it to have been up since May/June.

Only 48 people registered?

Also, it's clear from the writing that the Author is in Austrailia but the site is registered in the US.

I'm not pointing this out to single out this site - just to point out to the next person that reads this thread that they need to check into what they put their personal info on. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Born_Atheist wrote: As I

Born_Atheist wrote:

As I said, for anyone who may be interested. If not, don't register. I can understand why people would be leary and careful.

I had no 'motive' other than as an FYI. Sheesh.

Myself and some others from another atheist site signed it a few months ago, and as for myself I've not been contacted or harrassed in any way by any one. No one else I know who signed it has said they've been contacted or harrassed in any way, either.

BTW - I am female.

I did not intend any insult; however, we must be ever vigilant for theists masquerading as atheists.  A registry is an odd notion.  It was sure to raise some red flags.  Please do not let the reaction here have a chilling effect on your participation, Ms. Born_Atheist.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Lol. Wow. You guys sure can

Lol. Wow. You guys sure can get paranoid easy. I wouldnt put my name on such a list but Im sure Born_Atheist intentions were harmless. I kind of wonder what it is for though. Why we need to keep track of the atheists now? Tongue out

Born_Atheist
Born_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote:

Nero wrote:

I did not intend any insult; however, we must be ever vigilant for theists masquerading as atheists. A registry is an odd notion. It was sure to raise some red flags. Please do not let the reaction here have a chilling effect on your participation, Ms. Born_Atheist.

Absolutely not. Thanks. Wink

And no offense taken.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Born_Atheist wrote: and as

Born_Atheist wrote:
and as for myself I've not been contacted or harrassed in any way by any one...

... yet. 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Born_Atheist
Born_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
natural

natural wrote:

Born_Atheist wrote:
and as for myself I've not been contacted or harrassed in any way by any one...

... yet.

(Smile) As I've said, I certainly can't fault anyone for being skeptic or careful - that's one thing we atheists are known for, after all. And, you could well be right. Time will tell, I suppose.

I want to address the question some of you have posed about 'why' anyone would sign such a 'registry'. This is a question that was discussed by the other folks I know and myself who 'signed' it. It isn't often that I speak for anyone other than myself, but since this was a public discussion I see no harm in sharing the mutual conclusion those of us who participated came to: we're simply people who, as part of feeling that we have no reason to 'hide' who and what we are, saw no harm in participating and also felt that it was one of other steps that some of us have perhaps taken in being 'out' about being atheists.

Understand that as individuals, and as part of the discussions, we recognize that this kind of thing isn't something everyone would want to consider as part of being open about being atheist. If it's for someone, good, if not - that's good, too.

I would presume it goes without saying that 'coming out' is of no importance to some, or of varying importance to others, and also that some people don't dare take that step because of circumstances in their lives because they feel they could be jeopardized by doing so - in their family or work lives, for example. So naturally those things come into play anytime we think about if or how we show ourselves to the world as atheists.

There was also discussion about the fact that we were putting our personal info - names and places of residence out there for all to see, but that was our considered decision, and as Shelley pointed out, some people's information is readily accessable and isn't private information to begin with.

I find it odd, and a bit amusing, that being critical thinking people, some of you reacted to this post rather than just processing what I gave you, deciding what you wanted to do with it and then moving on. It's just a 'take it or leave it' kind of thing - not something that anyone needed to get heated up about. 

And certainly no offense was meant. Thanks to those of you with the decency to realize that.

Born_Atheist
Born_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:

aiia wrote:

wtf

register? For what? For harassing phone calls and death threats? To get hunted down and beaten? Who's fucking web site is this?

People! Whatever you do don't fill out this form!

Oneandone
Private Registration
1&1 Internet, Inc. - http://1and1.com/contact 701 Lee Road, Suite 300
ATTN: atheistregister.com
PA
Chesterbrook
US
Phone: +1.8772064254

Why are they hiding their identity?

Ah! A person after my own heart - say what you think, get straight to the point. I like that! That's my own philosophy as well.

Being un-friendly to new people on the forums - is that your own special touch?

You had something under your username that said 'Mod' before; does that stand for 'moody'? 'maltreat'? 'moderator'? Just curious.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not entirely sure whose

I'm not entirely sure whose posts have offended you but I highly doubt anyone intended them to.  You merely posted a link that some of us checked out and thought perhaps it wasn't a good idea.  I certainly didn't think it was a big deal. 

I don't understand why you think we don't have any 'decency' because we objected to signing the register.  No one thought you were being offensive and it seemed that was cleared up between Nero and yourself, yet you posted afterwards that you find it amusing that we're supposed to be critical thinkers yet we 'reacted' to the link.  It's a thinly veiled insult, but one nonetheless.  Can I assume this is directed to everyone who opposed signing the register? 

Born_Atheist
Born_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

I'm not entirely sure whose posts have offended you but I highly doubt anyone intended them to. You merely posted a link that some of us checked out and thought perhaps it wasn't a good idea. I certainly didn't think it was a big deal.

I don't understand why you think we don't have any 'decency' because we objected to signing the register. No one thought you were being offensive and it seemed that was cleared up between Nero and yourself, yet you posted afterwards that you find it amusing that we're supposed to be critical thinkers yet we 'reacted' to the link. It's a thinly veiled insult, but one nonetheless. Can I assume this is directed to everyone who opposed signing the register?

At no time did I say or insinuate that anyone is not decent, nor did I say that anyone is not decent for not signing the register. That is absurd, and you have misconstrued at least some of what I've said.

Perhaps you're taking my explanation as to why anyone might want to participate in this kind of thing as my being offended? Not so, although I can see why you might think my comment about people 'reacting' to my initial post as me being offended. I guess to me some of the responses came across as more reactionary than genuine attempts at discussion, but no, they didn't offend me. Certainly I've not seen your particular posts as offensive in any way.

And I did reply to the one post I had particular issue with.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Born_Atheist

Born_Atheist wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I'm not entirely sure whose posts have offended you but I highly doubt anyone intended them to. You merely posted a link that some of us checked out and thought perhaps it wasn't a good idea. I certainly didn't think it was a big deal.

I don't understand why you think we don't have any 'decency' because we objected to signing the register. No one thought you were being offensive and it seemed that was cleared up between Nero and yourself, yet you posted afterwards that you find it amusing that we're supposed to be critical thinkers yet we 'reacted' to the link. It's a thinly veiled insult, but one nonetheless. Can I assume this is directed to everyone who opposed signing the register?

At no time did I say or insinuate that anyone is not decent, nor did I say that anyone is not decent for not signing the register. That is absurd, and you have misconstrued at least some of what I've said.

Perhaps you're taking my explanation as to why anyone might want to participate in this kind of thing as my being offended? Not so, although I can see why you might think my comment about people 'reacting' to my initial post as me being offended. I guess to me some of the responses came across as more reactionary than genuine attempts at discussion, but no, they didn't offend me. Certainly I've not seen your particular posts as offensive in any way.

And I did reply to the one post I had particular issue with.

I questioned you to be sure that I understood what you were saying.  I tend to be cautious since sometimes what comes out isn't necessarily what is meant. And yes, I was under the impression that you were offended.  I take your word that you are not.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: Why

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
Why we need to keep track of the atheists now? Tongue out

For selective breeding of course! ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Danny
User is offlineOffline
Righto so I am the owner of

Righto so I am the owner of the afformentioned website, and sure I understand your hesitence but if you want the answer to why the site was created and why people should sign, well the answer is in all the posts above.

Why should we fear being known for our beliefs, to me that is just plain ridiculous a significant amount of the worlds population are Atheists yet we hide in our shells and fear theists and fear being persecuted for our beliefs. To me that is pure cowardace. As much as I hate to give theists and religous types any creedence, they do have a history of suffering for their beliefs. The difference is the suffering that you will face is suffering you have created in your head.

As an atheist you should be aware of the path you have chosen you should be learned on the topic of religions and you should also be aware of the works of your peers like Dawkins. Just imagine if Atheists came out of their hiding places and joined together. But instead we sit there and bitch and moan about religion and how naive theists can be, but we do not turn the mirror back upon ourselves to see the hypocracy that we create and live by every day.

To answer a few things that have been mentioned above.

1 - I am from Sydney Australia and the site is registered in the US: The reason for this is very very simple. It is far cheaper to register and host a site in the US than it is in Australia. I have plenty of sites but not one of them is located on Australian shores, it just isn't worth the hit to the hip pocket.

2 - Why would/should I sign? : Why should you, well you shouldn't if you don't want to, part of being an Atheist is having and making a choice, I am not there to make you do anything, however I am happy to provide a platform for those that are serious about their atheism and for those unaffraid of the consequences.  Why would you? Well are you sick of fearing repercussions of the theist community of being ashamed of your chosen belief system? Only united will your voice be heard.

3 - The site hasn't had much activity since May? Several reasons for that The biggest 2 being new relationship, new job and other major changes to my life and lifestyle. I just havent had the time ti dedicate it as much as I have for some of my other sites

I don't understand this deep ceded fear of being "outed" as a an Atheist. You believe it, but what are you, afraid of it?

Anyways, sorry for bumping an old thread I just got an email about the site and decided I would go back and do some "ego" searching of the site and found this.

Dan

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Danny wrote: I don't

Danny wrote:

I don't understand this deep ceded fear of being "outed" as a an Atheist. You believe it, but what are you, afraid of it?

Dan

Well Dan, here in north america, several people have been killed over the years for simply being an athiest and people still lose thier jobs over it.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zombie wrote:Danny

Zombie wrote:
Danny wrote:

Dan

Well Dan, here in north america, several people have been killed over the years for simply being an athiest and people still lose thier jobs over it.

Oh! speaking of which...

Dan! give me all you relivant data (full name, date of birth, location... you know, the stuff i need to easily track you down and kill you)

Seriously though, its for part of MY on going register (what are you? scared ^_^  )

PS: feel free to post it on this page, so i can pick it up durring my leisure time

What Would Kharn Do?