So I get my weekly Monster.com job links and for some fucking reason...they send me this.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
So I get my weekly Monster.com job links and for some fucking reason...they send me this.

I mean seriously, has it gotten this bad, that it's now advertised as a job? 

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=59485406&aid=11733490-10107&WT.mc_n=MKT000351

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
I've seen chaplain ads for

I've seen chaplain ads for a while now.

What do you think? Are they hoping to find people who are dedicated to their God and want to serve theri country also or are they just looking to press more poorly prepared "soldiers" on to the front lines?  

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to know what you

I'd like to know what you have on your resume that causes this to pop up.  Something you aren't telling us? Eye-wink

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:

shelleymtjoy wrote:
I'd like to know what you have on your resume that causes this to pop up. Something you aren't telling us? Eye-wink

Well, I need to change my religious orientation (I'm a fairly recent deconvert).

An serving atheist chaplain could be an interesting idea. He'd be telling his flock things like, "There is no afterlife. The life you have is the only one you've got. So do your damnedest to keep yourself alive to come back to your families, OK?"

No calls to sacrifice to a Cloud Being or a country, no promises of a world to come.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

AngelEngine
AngelEngine's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reminds me of  a quote my

Reminds me of  a quote my philosophy teacher told me:

"For every peaceful, loving mystic, there is an army chaplain convincing the armies that god is on their side" 

I'm infallible. I don't know why you can't remember that.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: I'd

shelleymtjoy wrote:
I'd like to know what you have on your resume that causes this to pop up. Something you aren't telling us? Eye-wink

Well I mean that's just it.  My resume tags are Biosafety, Laboratory Safety, first responder, etc... Not fucking Religious Chaplain,  I'm going to have to write to Monster.com to stop sending me bullshit like this. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, I was just teasing

Yeah, I was just teasing you. Larry.  The armed forces seem to be getting desparate for people these days.  I'm sure the navy reserves probably paid Monster to send it out to everyone in your state.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have the thought that

I have the thought that because (at least optimistically) that people are losing their religious faith, that also I think playes a role in the lack of people wanting to join the military.  Im sorry but I don't want to be involved in a group that one, a majority still believe in heaven and God so that death to them (and in that some token, those around them) does not mean as much as to someone who doesn't believe in heaven.  And I feel that I am probably not the only one (now before I get yelled out, im not saying that fighting for our country isn't a noble or good thing, however I do think that if you think that there is something after this life, you might be a little less concerned for yourself in the now than if you didn't think there is something after this).

uhlek
Silver Member
User is offlineOffline
humanists

Wonder if they accept humanist chaplains.  Sticking out tongue

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: Yeah, I

shelleymtjoy wrote:
Yeah, I was just teasing you. Larry.  The armed forces seem to be getting desparate for people these days.  I'm sure the navy reserves probably paid Monster to send it out to everyone in your state.

Yeah they're desperate.  They keep sending people to die in meritless, foreign wars.  Who wants to be a part of that garbage?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer