What are your trigger words/phrases?

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
What are your trigger words/phrases?

I hadn't really noticed this 'til the other night, when we were visiting some friends and someone used the phrase "well, evolution IS just a theory"  and I could feel every vein in body boil up.   One of those situations where I was the "+1" and don't really know the group too well, so was an excersise in self restraint that I didn't jump into the conversation I wasn't in and unload on these people.

Do you ever hear anything that gets you going like the red flag for a bull? 

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    That is my number 1

That is my number 1 trigger, and I have yet to restrain myself on that one, know them or not, i have to show them their complete ignorance and how stupid they really are. Next of course is "If there is no god then there is no reason to be good", "the bible is 100 percent true" and "evolution is a consipiracy" (the last one i try not to argue because the person tends to be complete imbeciles and tend to believe other outrageous consipiracies that ignore human nature) Oh and the last one that is a trigger for me is, YOU HAVE TO READ THE BIBLE, it saved/changed me and it will change you for the better (what there is something wrong with me, am i not happy enough?)

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
My triggers are "flotilla,"

My triggers are "flotilla," "cotton," and "Craftmatic."  When I hear any two of them in the same conversation, I cut up all of the mammals in the room and have to start over in a new town.  I suspect that these are conditioned responses, though.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: My triggers are

Nero wrote:
My triggers are "flotilla," "cotton," and "Craftmatic." When I hear any two of them in the same conversation, I cut up all of the mammals in the room and have to start over in a new town. I suspect that these are conditioned responses, though.

You just used all three of them in the same sentence, let alone conversation.  Does this mean you're going to cut yourself up?  Do I have time to make popcorn? :P 

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
When someone says "evolution

When someone says "evolution is only a theory" I feel like ripping their head off.  I felt that way even when I still believed in god.  I think I usually just start sweating and babbling incoherently while my eyes roll back into my head.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
thingy wrote:Nero

thingy wrote:

Nero wrote:
My triggers are "flotilla," "cotton," and "Craftmatic." When I hear any two of them in the same conversation, I cut up all of the mammals in the room and have to start over in a new town. I suspect that these are conditioned responses, though.

You just used all three of them in the same sentence, let alone conversation.  Does this mean you're going to cut yourself up?  Do I have time to make popcorn? :P 

Now, why would I cut myself up?  That would be crazy!  Please note the word "hear" as opposed to "read."  As for the popcorn, is it cheese flavored?  If so, yes, I will wait.  If not, then, I am going to set to chopping.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: I

stuntgibbon wrote:

I hadn't really noticed this 'til the other night, when we were visiting some friends and someone used the phrase "well, evolution IS just a theory" and I could feel every vein in body boil up. One of those situations where I was the "+1" and don't really know the group too well, so was an excersise in self restraint that I didn't jump into the conversation I wasn't in and unload on these people.

I get totally pissed when people insist that Hitler was an atheist.  It is apparently extremely difficult for people to realize that atheism isn't a political ideology.   

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't forget to vote Atheist

Don't forget to vote Atheist in the upcoming elections!

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I get

pariahjane wrote:
I get totally pissed when people insist that Hitler was an atheist.

Godwins in general really get my goat. 

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It pisses me off when

It pisses me off when people refer to evolution as "blind chance" and say we could not have possible arisen out of blind chance, therefore god.

No shit! Evolution is *NOOOOOT* blind chance. 

It also pisses me off when people say god must be real because they "experienced" god. Bleeeech.  

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a list.   1. I've

Just a list.

1. I've experienced God!

2. I'm in a personal relationship with God!

3. The Bible never contradicts itself!

4. Evolution is a lie!

5. Evolution is a  only a theory!

6. Evolution was created by Satan!

7. You have no proof that God isn't real so you must believe in him!

8. You're going to Hell!

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Another list:   1.

Another list:

1. Evolution is just a theory.

2. You have no proof that god doesn't exist.

3. You just haven't experienced god like I have (meph and venk from "what faith you" come to mind, as well as Theist who prattles on about experiencing "theos" in the RRS vs Kirk/Ray thread).

4. You atheists are the ones who aren't being rational. (read: "I know you are, but what am I?)

But the most annoying of all is probably... *drum roll*....

5. Atheists have no basis for morality!

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
My trigger words

I get pissed when people refer to evolution as a lie but I would say that when people are conversing and they speak of events in the bible as literal events and they compare them to event's going on in their lives. For exampe I heard one of my Christian friends who is a girl the other day complaining about her pains during pregnancy. She said " Ughh I wish having a baby was easier, But eve had to go and screw it all up for the rest of us." I hate that kind of thinking. I hate that this nonsense is so ingrained in the minds of people that they would say something so stupid. I also hate when they use pascals wager.

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
when people say "atheism is

when people say "atheism is a phase that angry teenagers go though"

or "nobody dies an atheist, everybody accepts god in the end"

basically, people who simply can't understand that some people really don't believe in any god.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
1. America was found on

1. America was found on christianity/we are a christian nation.

2. You can't prove there is no god.

3. So you're agnostic?

4. Did you know X person was X?

5. anything close to pascal's wager

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote:Do you

stuntgibbon wrote:

"Jesus, God, Saved, Im open minded, I love America, *The american flag in general*, Marines, Conservatives, Politicians, Bush, Safety, M.A.D.D, Honorable, Lawyer, Supreme Court Judge, War on (insert anything here).... and countless others not worth mentioning...

Unlike others, i can be set off by singular words, objects or images ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
Voiderest wrote: 1.

Voiderest wrote:

1. America was found on christianity/we are a christian nation.

2. You can't prove there is no god.

3. So you're agnostic?

4. Did you know X person was X?

5. anything close to pascal's wager

Man, I'm shocked it took us this far down to hit Pascal's wager.

personally #s 1,2, & 5 from your list are the ones that boil my blood more than anything. 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

AngelEngine
AngelEngine's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dinosaurs existed millions

Dinosaurs existed millions of years ago.

"Were you there?"

Thats by far the worst fuckin phrase that pisses me off ever. 

Also, the "atheists have no morals, look at what communism did to their countries."

I'm infallible. I don't know why you can't remember that.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah the lack of morality

Yeah the lack of morality thing drives me nuts too.   Some variation on "well without god, how would we know right or wrong?" or "If I didn't have Jesus, I'd probably just murder you!"  (EEK)

Apparently I retain the moral high ground, because I've got no Jesus and I have no desire to kill people.  

One good response I'd heard to this, and apologize that I forget the source.  I think it was a guest on one of the Infidel Guy network shows or maybe Dan Barker's show.   But he said when people ask him "How do you raise your kids to be moral without god?"  He replies with something like "It's just like teaching a child to be moral without a purple shirt."

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: ... when

stuntgibbon wrote:

when people ask him "How do you raise your kids to be moral without god?" He replies with something like "It's just like teaching a child to be moral without a purple shirt."

Hahahaha!  What a great quote!

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
"It takes more faith to be

"It takes more faith to be an atheist."

Voided
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema wrote: "It

RationalSchema wrote:

"It takes more faith to be an atheist."

That one makes me laugh :P 

Som Osog
atheist
Som Osog's picture
User is offlineOffline
"America was found on

"America was founded on christianity/we are a christian nation," might be number 1 for me as well.

Hitler was an atheist or Nazi Germany was atheistic is another one that ranks right up there.

Having someone say; "God bless you" if you do something nice for them is one I don't think anyone has covered yet.  That one bothers me because I understand they may just be trying to be polite, but I rarely let it pass without saying, "I don't believe in that nonsense."  I rarely get much of a come-back to that.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
"You're an atheist because

"You're an atheist because you hate God"

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
"But there are so many good

"But there are so many good people who have done so many good things because they were Christians!"

That one boils my blood.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"how do you account for the

"how do you account for the laws of logic" fuck thats infuriatingly fucktarded

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
"But he died for you."

"But he died for you."

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "how do you account

Quote:
"how do you account for the laws of logic" fuck thats infuriatingly fucktarded

I'm just enough of an asshole that if someone asks me this, I'll explain it.

In great detail.

For at least a half hour.

If he bitches, I say, "Look, you asked a complicated question, and I'm going to give you the answer.  If you don't want it, admit you're ignorant and stop asking stupid questions."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I'm just enough of

Quote:

In great detail.

Would you do this parked in handicapped spaces?

While handicapped people make handicapped faces? 

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:
Quote:

In great detail.

Would you do this parked in handicapped spaces?

While handicapped people make handicapped faces?

I would. And there's nothing anyone can do about it. Ya know why? Because we got the bombs. Two words: Nuclear Fucking Weapons.

Great reference!

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can't find evidence of

You can't find evidence of god because you aren't looking hard enough.

You can't find evidence of god because you need to open your heart and accept Jesus.

You can't find evidence of god because you refuse to open your eyes and see the Truth (with a capital T, mother fuckers)

You can't find evidence of god because Satan has hidden the Truth from you. Open your eyes and see the Truth, man!!!!

Actually, any time anyone capitalizes Truth, Love, Real, etc., as if that somehow legitimizes or solidifies their argument should be taken outside and curbed. End of story.

See, I'm just mad now thinking about it. I need a glass of wine...

That's right, I'm angry because I'm an atheist!!!

[Edit - to throw my two sense in one more time] 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
  zntneo wrote: "how do

zntneo wrote:
"how do you account for the laws of logic" fuck thats infuriatingly fucktarded

you should really stop listening to CARM haha 

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also HATE when someone

I also HATE when someone says: "There is an empty tomb in Jerusalem,so that proves Jesus is alive".

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

urbanrust
urbanrust's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I will need a bottle

I think I will need a bottle of wine thinking about those triggers and how many times I have heard themSmiling Those that you stated are the ones I usaully can't hold back on and pisses me off to no degree. Especially "You can't find evidence of god because you need to open your heart and accept Jesus." ---Ok, just give me a case of wineSmiling

I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
And these are just the

And these are just the common ones! I envy Brian and Kelly's restraint for not leaping across the stage at kirk cameron's crocoduck photoshops. That might have made me pass out, like an ignorance overload.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote:  Do you

stuntgibbon wrote:

#1 "I'll have to pray about it." When you ask someone to make a decision.

#2 "It was God's will." When something horrible happens or someone dies.

#3 "I will pray for you." When you tell someone you're an atheist.

#4 "God told me to/sent me a sign" Your crazy.

#5 "Then how do you explain...(some complicated subject that scientists could specialize in for 100 years before making any significant advances)" As if in order to be an atheist you have to expertly explain all natural phenomena in the world to someone who probably couldn't explain why a boat floats.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

ThaiBoxerShorts
ThaiBoxerShorts's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hate the frequent claim

I hate the frequent claim by theists that all atheists really do believe in God, deep down inside, and are just denying it.  I generally don't even bother trying to talk to a theist once they play that card, because what's the point?  If they're operating under the assumption that I already agree with them, and I'm just pretending not to, it's impossible to engage in honest, respectful debate.

I mean, I could just as easily say that deep down inside, theists don't really believe in god.  An invisible man in the sky who watches us masturbate?  That's utterly absurd, and they know it as well as I do.  Honestly, I often suspect that very thing, but I would never use it as a debate tactic.  Within the context of a respectful conversation, I'm willing to extend them the courtesy of taking them at their word in terms of their stated belief in God, even though I have trouble understanding how any reasonably intelligent human being could possibly believe such silliness.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: You can't

pariahjane wrote:
You can't find evidence of god because you need to open your heart and accept Jesus.
I've had people say that to me.

Though it was more in the form of: "you have to first believe in god in order to see the evidence for him"

Li Yuki
Li Yuki's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I won't date you because

"I won't date you because your atheist!!"

Joking, really though, its when people say god exist becaue jesus died on the cross, or when they say x is true because jesus died on the cross.   

Warning the following post may be offensive to certain people. Theist are not advised to read unless they are prepared to debate!
Side effects include possible deconversion, rational thought, and the lack of fear in the easter bunny.

HereticChick
HereticChick's picture
User is offlineOffline
People who say they're

People who say they're "born again" piss me off. 

Walking through my office and seeing WWJD signs.

People who say evolution is just a theory.

Fundies in general piss me off.

"Killing for peace is like fucking for chastity"