Christian Debate Tactics

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Christian Debate Tactics

I have heard people claiming that creationists use a lot of debate tactics like "red herrings, grisp gallops, etc. The way I see it, the debate tactics of Christians, and perhaps members of other religions, are quite simple. 

Christians use three debate tactics, assuming they can even be called tactics, to debate others, and they go like this:

(1) Distortions of Facts

This one is perhaps the most common. If you have debated a religious person, or you have listened to a Christian debating anyone, you will realize that religious people  tend to distort facts. For example, they can tell you that all fossils linking humans to apes are fake, without providing evidence. They can also tell you things like "Christians created the Renaissance".

In other words, they tend to speak out of their asses. Just watch Kirk Cameron in the O'Reilly Factor claiming evolution theory says there are creatures like the sheepdog and the bullfrog, and you get the idea. 

When this happens, asking for evidence or simply asking why or how, etc, depending on what has been said,  is the best thing that can be done.

(2) Cherry Picking

This is one is very common. Miracles being the perfect example. A religious person can tell you that he got sick, and he prayed, and he got healed. The question applies: how many people get sick each year, pray, and nothing happens? You don't hear them coming back to life claiming there's no God. 1 miracle and at least 1000 miracles that never happaned. You can hear religious people saying stuff like "Look how beautiful flowers are", ignoring all the ugliness that nature has. A religious person can say he gets his morality from the Bible, but the truth is, he only picks the verses he likes. And a religious person can say stuff like "Look what Stalin and Pol Pot did", ignoring the fact that there are thousands of atheists out there who aren't going around murdering people.

Seeing what they want to see, ignoring what they want to ignore. That's how this tactic works.

(3) Distortions of Logic

Damn, we are all familiar with this one. "Everything needs a creator. Exclude God from this rule" Another fine example: "Communists are atheists, so all atheists are commies." I have seen christians and muslims who wouldn't know logic if it hit them in the face with a hammer. 

When debating a person that distorts logic, you get the feeling that you are wasting your time. What would you say to someone who tells you that music proves God before long before people existed angels used to play the harp? Not much. And the sad thing is that nitwits who say stuff like this usually end up thinking they beat you in a debate. O'Reilly, for example, told Kirk Cameron he beat Richard Dawkins in a debate because Dawkins couldn't answer where everything had come from. Apparently calling our ignorance of where everything came from "God" means winning a debate. 

(4) Preaching

This one is so dumb, there's nothing that can be said. "The bible has all the answers." "Jesus is the way." Preaching is arrogant and dumb. It assumes that the non-believer may still be a believer somewhere inside of him.  

Is there any other thing religious people do when debating non-religious people? I can't think of any. 

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
On (1) don't forget Kirk's

On (1) don't forget Kirk's favorite, the crockoduck:  http://doodoodoodoodoo.ytmnd.com/

Christian debaters also like appeals to popularity/authority, and the ever popular strawman. 

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

From Wikipedia: 

An example of a straw man fallacy:

Person A: I don't think children should run into the busy streets.
Person B: I think that it would be foolish to lock children up all day.

By insinuating that Person A's argument is far more draconian than it is, Person B has side-stepped the issue. Here the "straw man" that person B has set up is the premise that "The only way to stop children running into the busy streets is to keep them inside all day".

Well that is a distortion of logic. 

As for appealing to authority, well, that could fall in the realm of Cherry Picking. I remember seeing some newspaper article trying to prove God by quoting Einstein's quote "God doesn't play dice", which he used to disprove quantum mechanics. Needless to say he failed to do so, as quantum mechanics still stands strong. In AOL, a Christian tried to prove Christianity was true by asking me to read the last pages of "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawkins, in which he mentions God. Hawkins and Einstein may be geniuses, but that doesn't mean they have to be right about everything they say. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Telling some story they got

Telling some story they got in an e mail without any evidence it ever happened.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
You could add, Apealing to

You could add, Apealing to emotions.

Wouldnt it be nice if there was a god/afterlife etc.

I would feel so bad if I didnt know there was a god/afterlife etc.

That sort of thing. 

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Psychoanalyzing the

Psychoanalyzing the atheist/agnostic.

"You probably had a bad experience with Christians. What happened?"

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
trying to link to completly

trying to link two completly irrelevant things.  Example "The Bible didn't lie about Sumeria existing, therefore Jesus walked on water."

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

rpcarnell
atheist
User is offlineOffline
non-sequitur

I have seen that one a thousand times. It is a fine example of a distortion of logic. I remember seeing this one: "The Roman Empire existed, and the Bible mentions it. How can you deny the Buybull is true?"

It is a non-sequitur.

1) Any argument that takes the following form is a non sequitur:

1. If A is true, then B is true.
  2. B is stated to be true.
  3. Therefore, A must be true.

Even if the premises and conclusion are all true, the conclusion is not a necessary consequence of the premises. This sort of non sequitur is also called affirming the consequent.

An example of affirming the consequent would be:

1. If I am a human (A) then I am a mammal. (B)
  2. I am a mammal. (B)
  3. Therefore, I am a human. (A)

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The occasional stupid

The occasional stupid christian email, like this one:

Now, take a look at this...

101%

From a strictly mathematical viewpoint:

What Equals 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?

Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%?

We have all been in situations where someone wants you to GIVE OVER
100%.

How about ACHIEVING 101%?

What equals 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help answer these
questions:

If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

If:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R- K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

And:

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But:

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

THEN, look how far the love of God will take you:

L-O-V-E-O-F-G-O-D

12+15+22+5+15+6+7+15+4 = 101%

Therefore, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that:

While Hard Work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will
get you there, It's the Love of God that will put you over the top!

It's up to you if you share this with your friends & loved ones just
the way I did.

Lol, these are particularly annoying. And has anyone noticed that the english language isn't the only one in existence? Laughing out loud

And then, of course, there is this argument - well, you just know that god exists inside, and you can't deny it.  LOL!!

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
How about

Crying and dry heaving....that happens all the time when I debate theists.

BenfromCanada
atheist
BenfromCanada's picture
User is offlineOffline
rp: Most of these are

rp: Most of these are "distortions of logic" or "logical fallacies". In fact, outside of the e-mails, psychoanalyzing the atheist, crying and dry heaving, and crocoduck, they're all logical fallacies. 

illeatyourdog wrote:

trying to link two completly irrelevant things. Example "The Bible didn't lie about Sumeria existing, therefore Jesus walked on water."

That made me laugh heartily.

Master Jedi Dan wrote:

The occasional stupid christian email, like this one:

Now, take a look at this...

101%

From a strictly mathematical viewpoint:

What Equals 100%? What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?

Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%?

We have all been in situations where someone wants you to GIVE OVER
100%.

How about ACHIEVING 101%?

What equals 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help answer these
questions:

If:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Is represented as:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

If:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R- K

8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

And:

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E

11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But:

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E

1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

THEN, look how far the love of God will take you:

L-O-V-E-O-F-G-O-D

12+15+22+5+15+6+7+15+4 = 101%

Therefore, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that:

While Hard Work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will
get you there, It's the Love of God that will put you over the top!

It's up to you if you share this with your friends & loved ones just
the way I did.

Lol, these are particularly annoying. And has anyone noticed that the english language isn't the only one in existence? Laughing out loud

And then, of course, there is this argument - well, you just know that god exists inside, and you can't deny it. LOL!!

Reply with this:

K I S S I N G A R S E

11+9+19+19+9+7+1+18+19+5=117

And just for fun:

B L A S P H E M Y O F T H E H O L Y S P I R I T

2+12+1+19+16+8+5+13+25+15+6+20+8+5+8+15+12+25+19+16 +9+18+9+20=306

So, why settle for 101% when you can have more than triple that? Take the Blasphemy Challenge today! 

Master Jedi Dan
Master Jedi Dan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Reply with

Quote:

Reply with this:

K I S S I N G A R S E

11+9+19+19+9+7+1+18+19+5=117

And just for fun:

B L A S P H E M Y O F T H E H O L Y S P I R I T

2+12+1+19+16+8+5+13+25+15+6+20+8+5+8+15+12+25+19+16 +9+18+9+20=306

So, why settle for 101% when you can have more than triple that? Take the Blasphemy Challenge today!

ROFL!! :D  I especially like the last suggestion. 

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.