Fraud in a Rehab Clinic?

static_
static_'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Fraud in a Rehab Clinic?

This is a subject that may be seen as unorthodox to the usual discussions thrown around here, but seeing as the ultimate goal of the RRS is to get rid of all things irrational, I feel this applies. Please allow me to state my case.

I know a girl who got arrested a few months ago for possession of weed. Such a substance is not alien to me, nor is it alien to much of the harmonious pockets of the world, so I'm sure many people would agree with me in not seeing this as much of a big deal. Well, apparently her mother did. I don't have to mention that her mother is a Catholic, but I will. Her mother's a Catholic. Being an irrational theist preoccupied with something to do with virgins, robes, and superfluous hymns, she decided to send my friend to a rehab clinic.

Initially, we thought it was funny. Weed isn't something to go to rehab for, and we expected her to know that, glide right through, and we'd have her back whenever she got out. However, something strange has happened to her cognitive abilities, and the operators of said clinic are clearly to blame. They gave her "reasons" to remain sober, to the likes of:
-You're a victim.
-You didn't choose to abuse a substance; your friends pressured you into it.
-No healthy-minded person would ever consider consuming our unapproved substances, even in moderation.

Now she runs around with an elitist perspective on her sobriety. This isn't healthy. Blaming someone else for your mistakes is not mentally healthy. Holding to the view that moderate consumption is just as bad as habitual abuse is utterly false. They're drilling her brain with what are ultimately damaging lines of reasoning.

Aren't they supposed to give you real reasons to remain sober, such as personal health and success, rather than having you wade in a sea of denial over the harmful choices you make? How are these people in business? I almost want to accuse them of fraud. Without good reason to remain sober, they're just going to fall back into substance abuse, blame everyone around them, and end up - guess where - back in rehab. It sounds like a scam. Am I seeing this the wrong way?

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: Weed isn't

static_ wrote:
Weed isn't something to go to rehab for, and we expected her to know that, glide right through, and we'd have her back whenever she got out.

Of course it's something to go to rehab for, people go to rehab for alcohol problems so why not Weed? 

static_ wrote:
They gave her "reasons" to remain sober, to the likes of: -You're a victim.

Yes in a way she is.

static_ wrote:
You didn't choose to abuse a substance; your friends pressured you into it.

Well you being upset at her choice to stay off a drug that is known to impair ones abilities, cause short term and long term memory loss, paranoia, and can bring out mental illnesses, then yes she is being pressured. 

static_ wrote:
 -No healthy-minded person would ever consider consuming our unapproved substances, even in moderation.

Personally I'm glad I don't smoke the stuff anymore, my life has improved considerably since I stopped.

static_ wrote:
Holding to the view that moderate consumption is just as bad as habitual abuse is utterly false.

If you are smoking it more than once a week, it ain't moderate, its habitual abuse. If you smoke it every day, then you have extreme problems.

static_ wrote:
They're drilling her brain with what are ultimately damaging lines of reasoning.

So let me undersstand this, your pissed at the fact that your female friend is no longer smoking a damaging substance and you are upset about it? I'd be happy for her!

static_ wrote:
Am I seeing this the wrong way?

I'm sorry to say, you are seeing it the wrong way. Support your friend in her decision, be an actual friend to her.

: Freedom - The opportunity to have responsibility.

: Liberty is about protecting the right of others to disagree with you.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
With the details you

With the details you provided, I'm inclinded to agree with UltraMonk. 

I'm going to assume her weed arrest was not some mistake - such as finding the weed in her older siblings' bedroom and getting arrested after she took it to school yet did not smoke it...

I don't think the decision to send your friend to rehab was directly related to the Mother's catholicism.  I would do the same thing if my child had a drug addiction be it alchol, weed, pharmacuticals, etc... 

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
Not_Your_Therapist's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: Of course

UltraMonk wrote:

Of course it's something to go to rehab for, people go to rehab for alcohol problems so why not Weed?

If you have a weed problem, you should go to rehab. If you smoke in moderation, you shouldn't. If you go to rehab, Static thinks they should give you REAL reasons for remaining healthy. He does not seem to have a problem with rehab per se, more like he has a problem with rehabs methods for getting people to remain sober.

UltraMonk wrote:
Yes in a way she is.

The OP only said she was arrested for posession, he did not indicate she was abusing the substance. Was she?

UltraMonk wrote:
Well you being upset at her choice to stay off a drug that is known to impair ones abilities, cause short term and long term memory loss, paranoia, and can bring out mental illnesses, then yes she is being pressured.

It does not seem as though the OP is upset that she is staying off the drug, the OP is upset at her newfound holier than thou attitude about it. He is upset because he does not think the rehab clinic gave her real reasons for staying healthy. see:

static_ wrote:
Aren't they supposed to give you real reasons to remain sober, such as personal health and success, rather than having you wade in a sea of denial over the harmful choices you make?

UltraMonk wrote:
Personally I'm glad I don't smoke the stuff anymore, my life has improved considerably since I stopped.

That's good. I am glad you have found the best way for you to interact with the stuff. Smiling

UltraMonk wrote:
If you are smoking it more than once a week, it ain't moderate, its habitual abuse. If you smoke it every day, then you have extreme problems.

This is quite true. I completely agree. So Static_, how often was she smoking?

static_ wrote:
They're drilling her brain with what are ultimately damaging lines of reasoning.

UltraMonk wrote:
So let me undersstand this, your pissed at the fact that your female friend is no longer smoking a damaging substance and you are upset about it? I'd be happy for her!

He is pissed that she has had drilled into her head the line of reasoning that it is never ever okay for anyone to smoke weed ever, and if they do it even once a year then they are not healthy people of sound mind. The OP never said he was pissed that she was not smoking weed, he said he was pissed at her attitude.

UltraMonk wrote:
I'm sorry to say, you are seeing it the wrong way. Support your friend in her decision, be an actual friend to her.

Swearing off weed is fine and great and wonderful. However looking down on everyone who ever smoked as though they are merely meantally unsound victims of peer pressure is wrong. I think this is the problem the OP has.

Your resident OTD/S, Christina
A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, now I really want to

Okay, now I really want to know how much this friend was smoking.

Also - have you tried talking to her about this 'elitist' attitude... telling her that it's pushing people away, etc.? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I worked in a rehab, and

I worked in a rehab, and they tend to assume anyone sent there for any reason is an addict - if they think they are that's evidence, if not they are in denial and that's evidence - basically everything counts as "for" and nothing as "against."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I worked

MattShizzle wrote:
I worked in a rehab, and they tend to assume anyone sent there for any reason is an addict - if they think they are that's evidence, if not they are in denial and that's evidence - basically everything counts as "for" and nothing as "against."

I don't necessarily see this as a problem.  The rehab people don't go out and pick their patients.  From my understanding something brings the patients to rehab - such as a court order or in this case parental authority over a minor.  If someone is in rehab that doesn't really belong there is that the rehab's fault or the fault of whoever/whatever put them there? 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Often courts will send

Often courts will send anyone who gets a DUI or any possession offense there for "evaluation." Of course they only make money if they call the person an addict. It's a big business. And AA/NA run almost like a cult.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been to NA meetings. 

I've been to NA meetings.  Not for an addiction problem but just to see... cult is the perfect word for what I saw - complete with ceremonies and prayer time.

However I did not know rehabs were in the business of evaulating people.  I do sometimes wonder about places that are in the business of helping people as they are only a profitable business if there are people to help. 

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Every evaluation that a

Every evaluation that a rehab place does, they get paid for. This is at least the case of for-profit or hospital drug programs. I don't know about not-for-profit programs, however. 

A good scientist will always change her mind if new evidence is presented which gives her sufficient reason to change it.
www.ziztur.com

static_
static_'s picture
User is offlineOffline
woweewoowah

Okay, allow me to clarify a few things.

1) She was arrested because they (her and her friend) were pulled over in a generic way, and she got nervous. She never knew how to remain calm around an officer. When he asked if they had anything illegal, she revealed that she had weed.

2) She did have a problem. She got high way too much. I'm sorry, I've been in and out of the stoner life. You don't need to go to rehab. Weed is not physically addicting. It becomes a habit, and it can take a week or two, but really, it's not that hard of a thing to kick. I haven't smoked in a few weeks. I barely ever do. Why? Because I realized that it keeps me from making progress. I get lazy and do nothing. Doesn't take a rehab clinic to tell me that.

3) As Not_Your_Therapist pointed out, I'm not mad that she's sober. I'm mad at her attitude. She may have been a victim, but she wasn't a victim of others. She's a victim of her own choices. Peer pressure always seems to be used as an excuse. I'm sorry, if you really don't want to do something, you won't do it - pressure or no pressure. I've been around a myriad of hard drugs, and never thought once about trying them. Never have, never will.

4) The final point I was making was that they're setting them up with a Catch-22. If this rationale keeps them sober, good and fine - but the rationale is weak & misguided, and is much harder to follow than a viewpoint that's a little more . . . I don't know . . . honest. They'll be rejecting friends, family, and others around them - as well as being rejected by them.
"Paul! My God! I can't believe you're drinking a beer! At night! After a stressful day at work!"

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: 4) The final

static_ wrote:

4) The final point I was making was that they're setting them up with a Catch-22. If this rationale keeps them sober, good and fine - but the rationale is weak & misguided, and is much harder to follow than a viewpoint that's a little more . . . I don't know . . . honest. They'll be rejecting friends, family, and others around them - as well as being rejected by them.
"Paul! My God! I can't believe you're drinking a beer! At night! After a stressful day at work!"

Interesting as after they reject everyone they might end up lonely and finding a drink or two or three... can keep them company. 

static_
static_'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Exactly. Then they become

Exactly. Then they become an alcoholic again and end up back in rehab. It sounds like some sort of scam.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have read all the posts

I have read all the posts and this is a lot to responde too.

First, I recommend for everyone to read "Avoiding 12-step coercion" by Stanton Peele. This will clarify most of the questions that are being posed here. Specifically regarding court and employee mandated treatment for substance use.

Second-The most empirically support treatment for substance use problems guides the individual to come to their OWN conclusion and reasons for why THEY need to stop or reduce their consumption. Just telling people they are a victim and powerless is nonsense and is not good treatment.

Third- Just because somebody is in a rehab does not mean they meet criteria for a substance use disorder. You can't assume anything because somebody is admitted to a rehab, treatment, hospital etc. I refer you to an artical entitled "Being sane in insane places" where actors posed as being mentally ill and everything they did was pathologized as being schizophrnic behavior. This points to the fact that they still need an objective assessment of their situation, problem, and symptoms before we start labeling people.

Many individuals are drug dealers or small time users who have DHS involved in their lives. Yes, a good amount of the time DHS is involved due to the role of drug use, but this is not always the case. Yes, these people need help with some type of life problem or issue if they are being court referred or referred by DHS. However, having 12-step rammed down your throat when you need to find transportation to work is counterproductive.

Lastly, Shizzle is right in that anything is considered to be evidence of addiction, especially in the case of denial/admittance. If somebody you didn't know gave you a label of any kind and you didn't believe it, what would you do??

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
DIY

static_ wrote:

Exactly. Then they become an alcoholic again and end up back in rehab. It sounds like some sort of scam.

Best way to find out if it is a scam or not, go through the rehab yourself. Smiling

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just based on everybody's

Just based on everybody's responses here, I'm going to assume that none of you have ever been in rehab.

First of all, anybody admitted to rehab for smoking pot would be laughed at incessently during the requisite war stories and competition for the biggest junkie of the year prize.

Secondly, people should understand that drug use, and even dependance, is commonplace in society, and the issue here is that it is a supposed "illicit" substance. How about everybody on mood stabilizers, anxiolytics, or anti-depressants goes to rehab as well to cure their addiction?

People use drugs because it makes them feel better, and if they are able to maintain their functionality and it doesn't impede on other areas of their lives, then it shouldn't matter at all if you smoke pot every day. 

Next we'll be sending people to rehab for caffeine addiction. The only drug that detoxing from will actually kill you is alcohol, so obviously a chronic alcoholic needs medical treatment to quit. Shouldn't the focus be more on a drug that causes more deaths yearly than ALL illicit drugs combined? People are stupid and this topic annoyed me. Sorry.

Not to mention the "higher power" bullshit that is forced on you in those places. It's sick.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: People use

kellym78 wrote:

People use drugs because it makes them feel better, and if they are able to maintain their functionality and it doesn't impede on other areas of their lives, then it shouldn't matter at all if you smoke pot every day.

That is one of the major points to the whole debate about pot usage, from personal experience and from watching other people. Pot usage does cause countless problems not only to yourself but to others and does impede your ability to function correctly.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Then i will counter with

Then i will counter with this, from personal experience and having many friends that smoke weed (and still due) if it is everyday, then yes they can be imped them, again i say can be, i have seen some that aren't, one example is Andrew, that smoke weed from the moment he wakes, up, then at lunch, then after coming from work and before heading to bed, everyday, why i don't know why, however he is a guitar virtuoso and i haven't seen anyone play the instrument as good as him, this man can also name off the differences between a 65, 66, 67, 68 and 69 camero, GTO, mustang and corvette by parts not just body style. (as well as various truck, car and luxury vehicles) Plus just out of sheer boredom he built a taser (although not nearly as powerful as a real taser) with a wireless door contact, 2 screws and a disposible flash camera in about 10 minutes.

In moderation (what i mean by this, less than once a week) i see no harm, the short term memory loss and anyother problems come not from moderation, but from habitual usuage, however they are do go away after 1 month.

I myself rarely use it anymore, and only really to numb any pain (usually after a long day of snowboarding). The decision is really divided on the usuage of marijuana in the medical community as well depending where you are, the enforcement agencies. As is cigarrets and alcohol are far worse than smoking weed, yet they are completely legal, why, because, society has grown up with them alcohol is nearly a passage requirement into adulthood (and i know many of you can probably remember drinking underage, or having a huge drink fest for your 19th or 21st birthday) But we do know that mass consuption of alcohol can kill you, if not cause brain damage, liver damage, damage to the nervous system etc. However with weed, you will pass out well before you reach the limit that it can kill you (roughly 10 pounds worth of it, if you smoke this much and if you survive you will have other issues to deal with....like massive lung problems)

I do believe that people that do smoke everyday and that are impeded of doing their work or living a normal life, then yes they should get help, there are other problems there. However if it doesn't imped them, why should i stop them? If I stop them, should we stop other people that use other forms of legal drugs, such as prozac, lithium, ritalin, or any of the other drugs than can and have imped people from living a normal life, and what should we do with this drugs, i mean they do have side effects (such as ritalin that can cause psycosis/paranoia) yet are completely legal.  

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think Kelly and Latin

I think Kelly and Latin summed it up perfectly. Remember not ALL pot users suffers problems in functioning from their use of pot. Especially because each persons amount and purpose for use varies significantly. Would you classify a person who drinks every Friday night with friends as having problems in functioning?? Of course you wouldn't. So what makes alcohol any different then pot??
Well, the legality of it. In actuality, alcohol is a larger health and economic problem then pot. We really need to start changing how we view drug use in this country. We spend billions of dollars fighting the wrong battles and putting harmless people in prison. Today Bush is meeting with Karzai and is supposed to grill him on the production of opium. Who the F cares?? This is such a waste of time.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema wrote: I

RationalSchema wrote:
I think Kelly and Latin summed it up perfectly. Remember not ALL pot users suffers problems in functioning from their use of pot.

Well usually the purpose to smoking pot is to 'get high', 'zone out', 'feel good', 'get a buzz', 'relax easier', etc. All of those goals are designed to change the way you function, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to smoke it in the first place. (I'm not counting those that smoke it to relieve pain in that statement)

RationalSchema wrote:
Would you classify a person who drinks every Friday night with friends as having problems in functioning??

Would you allow them to drive home? If not, then they have problems functioning.

RationalSchema wrote:
We really need to start changing how we view drug use in this country.

I totally and utterly agree, people shouldn't run around saying that it is ok and fine to smoke pot on a regular basis, and definately shouldn't say that it's harmless. 

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: Well

UltraMonk wrote:

Well usually the purpose to smoking pot is to 'get high', 'zone out', 'feel good', 'get a buzz', 'relax easier', etc. All of those goals are designed to change the way you function, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to smoke it in the first place. (I'm not counting those that smoke it to relieve pain in that statement) 

Clarification of terms

When I refer to functioning I am talking about the impact that the indivdiuals use has on their relationships, financial life, employment, education etc.......

Yes, any drug alters your brain chemistry and causes and change in your functioning while you are using. I am talking about the other consequences that may result for some people from their use. These consequences can be finacnial, loss of job, health problems and so forth.

So if somebody drives home on Friday night and endangers others there is a cause for concern. If they walk home, what problems do you have with it??

I am not endorsing the use of Marijuana but it is for the most part harmless. It is less harmful than alcohol and the many other things that are legal in this country. How about fast food and the horrible processed foods that people eat everyday that cause more health problems and damage then pot?? I could name a thousand things that are legal that are less harmful then pot that I would not encourage people to do. I do not endorse cheating on your wife and treating people like crap and so forth, but these things are legal.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema wrote: When

RationalSchema wrote:

When I refer to functioning I am talking about the impact that the indivdiuals use has on their relationships, financial life, employment, education etc.......

Marijuana use can affect all those quite easily. In brief: Relationships - Conflict, Financial Life - Money spent on pot better spent elsewhere, Employment - Impaired Working Ability, Education - Reduced Learning and Concentration. The effects can range from major from the point of smoking pot to minor from several hours after smoking pot. 

On minesites they have random drug tests, any trace of pot use is grounds for loss of job. 

RationalSchema wrote:
So if somebody drives home on Friday night and endangers others there is a cause for concern. If they walk home, what problems do you have with it??

Well that depends doesn't it, people drinking have been known to wander all over the place, pass out, be abusive towards people, hit people, sing loudly in the dead of night, cause damage to property, etc. In the case of the fool next door, just as he is about to arrive home, he drops his pants whilst in the middle of the road in the dead of night and goes for a piss, I've nearly hit him twice now with my car when coming home. And hey when I used to drink all the time I did some of those things too, so I'm just as guilty.

RationalSchema wrote:
I am not endorsing the use of Marijuana but it is for the most part harmless. It is less harmful than alcohol and the many other things that are legal in this country.

If people were having a cone about once or twice a week, I would totally agree with you. Sadly however it's a drug that quite a few people use on a daily basis. This to me is where the danger is.

RationalSchema wrote:
How about fast food and the horrible processed foods that people eat everyday that cause more health problems and damage then pot??

In those cases the effects are physical rather than psychological, physical effects are just as important as psychological however this whole thread has been more about the psychological effects. 

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonK wrote: Marijuana

UltraMonK wrote:

Marijuana use can affect all those quite easily. In brief: Relationships - Conflict, Financial Life - Money spent on pot better spent elsewhere, Employment - Impaired Working Ability, Education - Reduced Learning and Concentration. The effects can range from major from the point of smoking pot to minor from several hours after smoking pot. 

On minesites they have random drug tests, any trace of pot use is grounds for loss of job. 

True, but this is not the case for the majority of people who use pot. Most people do not suffer these consequences, becuase they don't use it at work and use it responsibly. Do you think people can use alcohol responsibly?

None of the definitions of substance use problems mentions the amount of use, but focus on the consequences of the use. Most pot users do not use everyday and suffer non of those consequences. The same can be said for alcohol and some other substances.

UltraMonk wrote:

Well that depends doesn't it, people drinking have been known to wander all over the place, pass out, be abusive towards people, hit people, sing loudly in the dead of night, cause damage to property, etc. In the case of the fool next door, just as he is about to arrive home, he drops his pants whilst in the middle of the road in the dead of night and goes for a piss, I've nearly hit him twice now with my car when coming home. And hey when I used to drink all the time I did some of those things too, so I'm just as guilty.

and, do all people who drink do that?? If so, we would have some serious serious problems.

UltraMonk wrote:

If people were having a cone about once or twice a week, I would totally agree with you. Sadly however it's a drug that quite a few people use on a daily basis. This to me is where the danger is.

It could be dangerous for those people. Most people who have ever used any type of substance do not use daily and do not develop problems. Just because this small number of people (percentage) have a problem should we make it illegal. We don't make foods high in sugars and fats illegal, yet they harm people. I am pointing out the hypocrisy here.

UltraMonk wrote:

In those cases the effects are physical rather than psychological, physical effects are just as important as psychological however this whole thread has been more about the psychological effects. 

The point is that if they cause more problems why are they not illegal. IN fact psychological problems are health and physical problems. The majority of people with health problems have co-morbid psycholgoical issues. Also, we cannot tell with drug use what comes first. A large portion of people who use drugs do so due to pre-existing psychological issues. Others develop problems from the drug use or combination. You cannot put all drug problems into one category. Sometimes the problem is just purely physical. In a certain social environments harmful drinking may not result in any relationship or employment consequences, but then lead to a damaged liver.

static_
static_'s picture
User is offlineOffline
Your view of illicit

Your view of illicit substances, UltraMonk, seems to be a bit subjective.

People have been trying to say that weed, just like anything else, is harmless when used responsibly. Obviously getting high before you drive somewhere isn't responsible. Being high at work isn't responsible.

If you're at home, with your daily obligations behind you, there's no harm done - period.

When someone else made the point that it doesn't affect your financial stability when used properly, you responded by saying, "They'll spend money to buy more pot rather than better things."

So there are "right" and "wrong" things to spend your well-earned money on? Like what? Cigarettes? Coffee? Teeth-butchering soda? Junk foods? A tanning salon? Am I wasting my money when I dish out $60 for a video game, or $350 for a condenser microphone?

Anyway, Kelly was the only one who hit was I was trying to say right on the mark.

People are being sent to rehab clinics when they don't need to be. They're being labeled as addicts when they're not. This isn't limited to illicit drug abuse, but psychology in general. People are being "diagnosed" with mental disorders, and pills crammed down their throats, when many "disorders" can be fixed through the individual understanding their problem and simply taking the time to work on it.

What none of you guys have addressed is the notion that people are being "treated" in a corrupted manner that seems to guarantee that the victim will return to the doctor/clinic for more corrupted treatment. The treatment isn't honest. I would assume that anyone with a doctorate in . . . well . . . anything . . . would be able to pick up on this as well. Much of it seems like a scam, and it's f*cked up.

Why don't the victims pick up on this stuff? The same reason that victims of theism don't pick up on their delusion. We live in a majority populace that lacks critical thinking. This needs to change.

Correlate my problem with my friend, who has a newfound pride over her sobriety, with someone who just got suckered into being "born again", and you'll understand my dilemma a bit better.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote:   Anyway,

static_ wrote:

Anyway, Kelly was the only one who hit was I was trying to say right on the mark.

People are being sent to rehab clinics when they don't need to be. They're being labeled as addicts when they're not. This isn't limited to illicit drug abuse, but psychology in general. People are being "diagnosed" with mental disorders, and pills crammed down their throats, when many "disorders" can be fixed through the individual understanding their problem and simply taking the time to work on it.

What none of you guys have addressed is the notion that people are being "treated" in a corrupted manner that seems to guarantee that the victim will return to the doctor/clinic for more corrupted treatment. The treatment isn't honest. I would assume that anyone with a doctorate in . . . well . . . anything . . . would be able to pick up on this as well. Much of it seems like a scam, and it's f*cked up.

Why don't the victims pick up on this stuff? The same reason that victims of theism don't pick up on their delusion. We live in a majority populace that lacks critical thinking. This needs to change.

Correlate my problem with my friend, who has a newfound pride over her sobriety, with someone who just got suckered into being "born again", and you'll understand my dilemma a bit better.

I thought I addressed some of these issues in my first response?? You might also want to see my responses to the thread on AA. I talk about how the 12-step philosophy has corrupted the D&A treatment industry and has left a large portion of the industries consumers with little options. There is more the one way to stop using drugs. 12-step and the current rehab system is a one size fits all approach. I agree that you should be cautious of somebody coming out of rehab that sounds like they have been indoctrinated. Changed and different is a good things and different from indoctrination.

Also, you are dead on in the first part of your last response. 

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
Heh, I've got my hands full

Heh, I've got my hands full now with this whole discussion. Smiling

RationalSchema wrote:
True, but this is not the case for the majority of people who use pot. Most people do not suffer these consequences, becuase they don't use it at work and use it responsibly. Do you think people can use alcohol responsibly?

The very nature of pot and drinking more than the recommended amount of alcohol *IS* that your thinking and functioning is impaired. This includes your judgement in making decisions, and that also includes whether or not you are using responsibly. So how can the individual user determine whether or not they are using responsibly?

RationalSchema wrote:
None of the definitions of substance use problems mentions the amount of use, but focus on the consequences of the use. Most pot users do not use everyday and suffer non of those consequences. The same can be said for alcohol and some other substances.

This is a point that we definately disagree on, after 18 years of either me using pot and watching other people using pot the consequences are there. Some of the consequences can be minor for sure, but can have long reaching effects spanning years or even decades.

RationalSchema wrote:
and, do all people who drink do that?? If so, we would have some serious serious problems.

In Australia it is illegal for a person serving alchohol to serve it to anybody that they determine has had too much to drink. In some communities here you cannot take alchohol outside of the pub/bar, that includes not being able to take a six pack home.

So yes it is a serious enough problem that things are gradually being done about it. That even includes tobacco, you cannot smoke in a pub here, or restaurants, nightclubs and several other places. 

RationalSchema wrote:
It could be dangerous for those people. Most people who have ever used any type of substance do not use daily and do not develop problems. Just because this small number of people (percentage) have a problem should we make it illegal.

To me the problems of pot usage afflicts the majority of pot users.  

RationalSchema wrote:
We don't make foods high in sugars and fats illegal, yet they harm people. I am pointing out the hypocrisy here.

No hypocrisy considering that trans fats are banned in New York City Eateries. As we understand more and more about various things the better the chance that other fats and possibly high sugar content products will be banned.

RationalSchema wrote:
The point is that if they cause more problems why are they not illegal. IN fact psychological problems are health and physical problems.

I'm not denying that there are physical problems associated, but the physical side of things add a whole new dimension to this whole conversation. I recognize that there are physical problems caused, you recognize that there are physical problems caused. I'm just trying to keep it to more of the psychological side of things instead of bringing in long winded discussions about the physical. As I said physical is just as important but I don't think we really need to go over it, especially since I'll probably agree with most of the physical side of things. 

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: Your view

static_ wrote:

Your view of illicit substances, UltraMonk, seems to be a bit subjective.

Heh, ok. Smiling

static_ wrote:
People have been trying to say that weed, just like anything else, is harmless when used responsibly. Obviously getting high before you drive somewhere isn't responsible. Being high at work isn't responsible.

As I pointed out in another post, the very nature of pot means that your judgement is impaired, so how do you know if you are using responsibly or not?

static_ wrote:
If you're at home, with your daily obligations behind you, there's no harm done - period.

If your home alone, with no contact in any way, shape or form with anybody else then I would tend to agree with you. However if you have a partner and even kids then I definately disagree.

static_ wrote:
When someone else made the point that it doesn't affect your financial stability when used properly, you responded by saying, "They'll spend money to buy more pot rather than better things."

Are you referring to this?

UltraMonk wrote:
Financial Life - Money spent on pot better spent elsewhere

If you are, they are both different statements. So you are denying that the money spent on pot could be better spent elsewhere? It's not as if you absolutely have to have pot, it's a luxury.

static_ wrote:
So there are "right" and "wrong" things to spend your well-earned money on? Like what? Cigarettes? Coffee? Teeth-butchering soda? Junk foods? A tanning salon? Am I wasting my money when I dish out $60 for a video game, or $350 for a condenser microphone?

I never said there are right and wrong things, all those things you mention are luxuries/wants. You do not have to have them, you choose to have them. If you want them then go for it, I'm not stopping you. Instead of buying cigarettes you could spend the money saved on a holiday, which is probably a far better thing to do than smoking cigarettes. Are you denying this?

static_ wrote:
People are being sent to rehab clinics when they don't need to be. They're being labeled as addicts when they're not. This isn't limited to illicit drug abuse, but psychology in general. People are being "diagnosed" with mental disorders, and pills crammed down their throats,

I don't deny that at all. 

static_ wrote:
 when many "disorders" can be fixed through the individual understanding their problem and simply taking the time to work on it.

But first the person has to admit that they have a problem, and most people who do indeed have a problem, don't think they have. Just as bad is the person could be hanging around with people who all have the same problem but it's not recognized as a problem because it seems normal.

static_ wrote:

I didn't address it mainly because I've never been through it, have you? There might be good reasons for some of the things they do in rehab, then again there might not be. I've certainly started doing research on the matter to be more fully informed. As I mentioned before in a previous post, you could always do the rehab yourself to get a better idea.

static_ wrote:

So what are you saying here? It's not ok for her to stop using pot? You want her to continue to smoke it? She can't be happy with herself that she no longer uses it?

This is the issue I have with it: You seem more unhappy and bitter that she is no longer smoking pot rather than the methods that the rehab employs.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    First of the

First of the judgment part, how much weed smoking are we talking about here? Most people that i know, when smoking weed, don't do stupid things such as, get into fights with random people, run around naked, smoke to the point that they puke/pass out, call ex's professing their love, annoying people generally right out, raping someone, killing someone, which is why, with my talks with the local law enforcements (Canada and the Holland) they rather deal with someone that is high on weed than drunk, and least the weed smoker can make rational judgements, the drunk tend to be violent. Smoking a gram or 2 ain't going to put you out to the point that you cannot function or make a judgement call at all.

For the most part many pot heads that i know (and it's quite a few actually now that i think about it) are responsible enough with it yes there are the that smoke way to much (for them i do suggest to get some form of help) however the majority don't smoke before or during work, don't drive while high, don't spend their entire paycheques on weed (usually on average the people that i have spoken to we tend to spend around 60 to 100 bucks a month) while most of the drinkers that i know spend oh about 300 to 600 a month easy (2 nights a week, between 50 to 100 dollars a night adds up quickly) so i would still need to understand your irresponsible part? Are some people irresponsible, sure, are the majority i have to argue with pot, no, those that have kids, one of the parents won't smoke (if the kids are at home, if they are at the grandparents or aunts then yes they will)

Unless your taking on the extreme cases (those that cannot function because all they do is smoke weed all day long) then yes i agree with your statements, but those statements you made do not apply to moderate users at all, they are pretty much an exaggeration, again moderate users less than once a week. 

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: static_

UltraMonk wrote:

static_ wrote:
Weed isn't something to go to rehab for, and we expected her to know that, glide right through, and we'd have her back whenever she got out.

Of course it's something to go to rehab for, people go to rehab for alcohol problems so why not Weed?

Bollocks. Weed is practically non addictive. It does not lead to any phsyical addiction and its non toxic. Except in really extreme cases weed really does not require rehab. If the 12 steps progams has been applied here, as it looks like it has, this is a totally inappropriate treatment program and down right dangerous. 

Quote:
static_ wrote:
They gave her "reasons" to remain sober, to the likes of: -You're a victim.

Yes in a way she is.

No she isn't. I fucking hate this bullshit. She smoked some weed fucking big deal. 

Quote:
static_ wrote:
You didn't choose to abuse a substance; your friends pressured you into it.

Well you being upset at her choice to stay off a drug that is known to impair ones abilities, cause short term and long term memory loss, paranoia, and can bring out mental illnesses, then yes she is being pressured.

Actually it isn't known to do any of these things. The research is somwhat sketchy. With regards to the mental illness thing the statistical increased chance is exeptionally small and it is far from certain whether the weed is the causal factor or whether people suffering from mental illness are more likely to smoke weed. 

Quote:
static_ wrote:

Well I don't smoke it either because I don't really enjoy it anymore. But I know many healthy minded people that do consume it still. I was healthy minded when I smoke, snorted and pill popped my way through the nineties. The vast majority of illegal drug use is done by healthy minded people. Recreational drug use is done by healthy minded people. This is where the 12 steps bullshit falls down it completely fails to distinguish between recreational and hibitual or addictive drug use.  

Quote:
static_ wrote:
Holding to the view that moderate consumption is just as bad as habitual abuse is utterly false.

Bullshit. Sorry you are just completely wrong I'm afraid. I smoked it every day for over 10 years. In that time I went through university, got a good degree, got a good job and generally got on with life with no problems. I know many many people like me who did the same. The only reason I don't smoke it now is becasue its just kind of got boring really. I just didn't enjoy it much anymore and I started to focus on my fitness and smoking anything is bad for that.

Quote:
static_ wrote:

I think he is pissed off becasue they have filled his friends head with a load of bullshit about her being a victim and not being able to control herself. Once this mentality is adopted its really hard to break. This bullshit could scar her for the rest of her life. They could make her an addict. Have you seen the southpark episode where stans dad has to got to AA? Watch it. 

Quote:
static_ wrote:
Am I seeing this the wrong way?

It was not her decision though. She has no power remember? She is powerless to control her self? So with this bullshit in her head what happens if she tries coke and likes it? Well its no longer her responsablity she has a disease so she can justify doing more coke or smack or crack or whatever. Its a very danageous atitude to have. Do you ever wonder why so many people who go through the 12 steps end up having relapses? The program stops people from taking responsability for their own fuck ups.

Of the several good friends who have had heroin habits none of them have managed to kick their habits through the 12 steps. Many have tried and they always end up back on the sgag. Those that have succeeded tend to do it themsleves they sort their lives out and take responsability and just quit. Rehab and the 12 steps can be useful to get through the initial phsycial addiction but as a long term solution its pretty shit. Long term freedom from addition comes from taking responsability for your own life and realising that YOU have the ability to say no if you want to. But as soon as one adopts a victim mentality then relapse is all but inevitable.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I am in complete

I am in complete agreement with Evil Religion, i could not have said it better myself

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
I'm bowing out of this

I'm bowing out of this conversation, we'll just have to agree to disagree that a person who has gotten themselves of a drug like marijuana has made a wrong decision.

static_
static_'s picture
User is offlineOffline
First off, apologies to

First off, apologies to RationalSchema for not acknowledging your first post. It totally slipped my mind, and that post was absolutely relevent. In the words of Optimus Prime, "Sorry, my bad."

UltraMonk, for the most part I've been trying not to press you too much on your feelings over drug use being empirically "wrong". What I, and it seems a few others, have been trying to say is that this is a Red Herring. We're trying to discuss the very obvious flaws in the reasons people are becoming sober. I pointed out that the flaws are so asinine, so apparent, that the people running these places must be real morons if they don't realize the scam they're contributing to.

Evil Religion, I'm right there with you. After how this thread has progressed, I really want to confront my friend about this. The problem is she's still a part of the program, living in a "sober house" with a group of ex-addicts that never leave each other alone. They always travel in a group. They lean on each other for support. Ugh. I'm afraid that I'd be stirring up trouble if I showed up and went, "You! Everyone! Bullshit!"

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: Evil

static_ wrote:

Evil Religion, I'm right there with you. After how this thread has progressed, I really want to confront my friend about this. The problem is she's still a part of the program, living in a "sober house" with a group of ex-addicts that never leave each other alone. They always travel in a group. They lean on each other for support. Ugh. I'm afraid that I'd be stirring up trouble if I showed up and went, "You! Everyone! Bullshit!"

Maybe you could slip some anonymous literature under her door or something...  

ABx
User is offlineOffline
I don't see the issue as

I don't see the issue as being a scam as much as a result of religious thinking. It's never your fault, it's due to "satanic forces" and so on. It's then also "god" that saves you. It's the typical cycle of repression and compulsion, coming from an unwillingness to deal with the real issues.

The bigger aspect that I've never understood is the preoccupation with the object of people's escape. I see it all the time, and not just with theists. It doesn't matter whether it's a substance or a behavior (gambling, sex, shopping, eating, even internet or television usage). I see so many people that do something to the detriment of their responsibilities, realize it, fixate on the substance or action alone, and cut it out of their life only to replace it with something else. Of course the cycle then repeats, but for some reason they never realize that it's the escapism/addiction itself that's the problem, and not what they're addicted to. They never realize that if they actually addressed the issues in their lives, they wouldn't need to escape it so much. I find these people all too often get to be elitist about it because it was so easy for them to overcome the problem - which is only because they replaced it with something else. 

It's bad enough when someone does this on their own, but it is indeed sickening to see it happen at the instruction of some authority. Unfortunately I just really don't think they even realize it, it's simply how they approach everything in their world. It's a result of emotional reasoning rather than logic - appeasing feelings rather than actually addressing them in any real way. As long as they feel like they've accomplished something, it doesn't matter whether they really have or not. It's also just one of the many far reaching problems that religion causes, and why it needs to be eliminated. 

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
How absurd. Nobody is a

How absurd. Nobody is a victim of choice. I'm not even going address anything more since there's so much ignorance floating in this thread it would be like talking to cavemen.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: I'm

UltraMonk wrote:

I'm bowing out of this conversation, we'll just have to agree to disagree that a person who has gotten themselves of a drug like marijuana has made a wrong decision.

I know you are bowed out, but I don't think anybody was saying she made a bad decision or has a problem with her stopping her use. What myself and others have a problem with is that she was indoctrinated to make a decision based on false information. She was not given the opportunity to make the choice for herself, but told to make a decision.  I have to agree with evil religion on most of the points. Those were the points I was trying to make, but he did it more eloquently. I do disagree with him on the Short-term memory aspect. It does lead to ST memory problems, but certainly not mental illness or paranoia. Paranoia while high, but not after usage.

Others have pointed out your subjective opinion and it seems to me you think any use of any substances leads to a complete loss of ones cognitive and judgmental faculties. I think we can all agree that a person who has 1 or 2 drinks is likely to make better decisions than somebody who has 12 drinks. I see to much all-or-nothing/black and white thinking in your responses. As stated before you can tell if a person is using responsibly by the consequences of their use. If they get arrested, beat their wife, miss work and splurge their entire back account I think we can say that this is irresponsible use. If they are leading a healthy life who the F am I to tell them they should stop??? I am trying to highlight that there a significant gray areas when it comes to drug use. These gray areas are frequently dismissed by 12-step groups and the substance use treatment industry.

Although what I have said are my opninions, they are based on the science in the field and backed by the research.

People have been shown to be able to control their drinking at responsible levels, even people who met previous criteria for substance use problems.

http://www.moderation.org/

http://www.doctordeluca.com/Library/AbstinenceHR/Mm2004-WhoSeeksCd06.htm

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk

UltraMonk wrote:

RationalSchema wrote:

This is a point that we definately disagree on, after 18 years of either me using pot and watching other people using pot the consequences are there. Some of the consequences can be minor for sure, but can have long reaching effects spanning years or even decades.

I am sorry, but I had to respond to this. I have to because this is a site based on science vs. non-science. This is not my opinion, but is what the science is saying. The majority of people who have smoked pot do not suffer negative psychological and personal consequences from their use of the substance. That is not to say that there are those who do not develop problems and need some help, but most people do not. Marijuana is not physcially addictive, but an individual may become habitually dependent on it's use. Again, the development of problems is complex and it is not clear at this point about a direct cause and effect. I am inclined to say that since you had problems you also hung out with people who had problems, which led to a selection bias of marijuana users.

However, I will let everyone make their own decision.

http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijuana/facts/mj-health-mythology.html#myth5

Notice the only study about injuries is purely correlational and shows not direct causation and is clearly open to multiple confounds as to how those accidents occured. 

http://www.drugfree.org/Portal/drug_guide/Marijuana

l

http://www.nida.nih.gov/drugpages/marijuana.html

Recognize that NIDA is completely sold on the disease model and is funded by individuals who want to keep drugs illegal and promote the myth that any drug use is significantly harmful. This is not to say that people at NIDA are not honest scientists, but who is paying their salary at the end of the day?

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
I just had to add this

I just had to add this other one.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: First off,

static_ wrote:
First off, apologies to RationalSchema for not acknowledging your first post. It totally slipped my mind, and that post was absolutely relevent. In the words of Optimus Prime, "Sorry, my bad."

UltraMonk, for the most part I've been trying not to press you too much on your feelings over drug use being empirically "wrong". What I, and it seems a few others, have been trying to say is that this is a Red Herring. We're trying to discuss the very obvious flaws in the reasons people are becoming sober. I pointed out that the flaws are so asinine, so apparent, that the people running these places must be real morons if they don't realize the scam they're contributing to.

No problem dude. This is my passion, so I always want to be heard.

UltraMonk
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: UltraMonk,

static_ wrote:

And as I mentioned in another post, I don't know enough about the whole program to be able to comment on it, and thus I haven't! I've been researching it all and learning about it. They may have good reasons for some of the things they do, then again they may not. Until you actually go through the program yourself then who can say?

If your friend had come out of it still smoking pot, would you have mentioned the problem in the first place? In your OP you said this:

static_ wrote:
Initially, we thought it was funny. Weed isn't something to go to rehab for, and we expected her to know that, glide right through, and we'd have her back whenever she got out. However, something strange has happened to her cognitive abilities, and the operators of said clinic are clearly to blame. They gave her "reasons" to remain sober, to the likes of:

So is it just me when it seems to me that it reads that you and anybody else wanted her to stay on drugs? From what nearly everyone elses responses are it seems to be just me, so that is why I am bowing out of the discussion. I got things wrong.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
static_ wrote: . Evil

static_ wrote:

The problem is that part of the 12 steps program is that you shoudl cut off contact with your old "druggie" friends. They also preach total abstenance of all substances so if you drink or smoke weed she will have been warned off associating with you. In this way its very cult like in its approach. There is tremendous pressure to conform to cult norms namely never touching a drop of drink or smoking a single joint or whatever.

Whilst she is in this phase there is little you can do. Her old friends who also do drugs are now also seen as addicts. You in her mind are an addict suffering from the disease of adiction. Anything you say is therefore unreliable. You, in her mind, are a victim like she was. You will probably get smug sympathy but anything you say will be distrusted and dismissed as you are just "in denial" in this way it also displays the charcteristics of a cult. One of the defining characteristics of a cult is fear or distrust of anything that contradicts the main dogma.

Direct confrontation will, at this stage, prove fruitless. Indirect confrontation may however work. You can point out other people that have come off drugs, ltell her about Narcanon (its the scientololgists cult recruitment program dressed up as drug rehab) and point out how these people end up becoming members of the cult of scientology, tell her about the Christians and Hare krishna recuitment programs dressed up as rehab. Take the tone that "at least you where not involved in one of those programs just look how they brian wash people" because you are not attacking her cult directly the defences programed into place will not be activated. Once she sees the bullshit brainwashing of Narcanon then the penny may well drop. This is tried and tested soft deprogramming technique for cults BTW.

If none of this proves possible I'd just wait, lend support in her efforts at sobraity, be there for her, be a good friend and when (which she will almost inevtiably) she smokes a joint again or has a drink just try to deal with the guilt she will feel and tell her it really isn't a big deal. 

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
UltraMonk wrote: So is it

UltraMonk wrote:

So is it just me when it seems to me that it reads that you and anybody else wanted her to stay on drugs? From what nearly everyone elses responses are it seems to be just me, so that is why I am bowing out of the discussion. I got things wrong.

Yes, I do believe you are the only one who read into Static's post that he wanted his friend to stay on drugs. I can see why you might read what you read into his post. At any rate, misunderstanding someone is no reason to bow out of the conversation. So long as you realize the misunderstanding and move on Smiling

www.ziztur.com

Not_Your_Therapist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I suppose we could also

I suppose we could also point blank ask instead of assuming:

So, Static_, do you want your friend to "stay on drugs"? I am certainly not making a judgement call, just seeking clarification.

www.ziztur.com