RecoveryFromReligion.org

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
RecoveryFromReligion.org

Howdy folks!

It looks like Marlene Winell and others are going to make an effort to address some of the casualties of dogmatic religion.  This is an area that has been largely--no, let's make that completely--ignored in our society. 

There are a lot of organizations our there fighting for reason, but it seems like no one wants to look at the emotional issues involved.  First of all, it's bloody hard to leave religion, especially if you were completely steeped in it.  If you leave, you lose pretty much everything: your invisible best friend, your world view, hope for an afterlife, your social outlet, your friends and family.  Very few of those who leave get to take much of anything with them.

This makes it harder for people to admit to themselves that religion is bunk.  The more people who come out, the easier it will be for others to follow, but in the meantime, I would like to see people get help.  There are organizations to help you quit drugs and alcohol, but nothing to help you quit religion.  And I daresay the consequences of quitting are much, much harder to deal with.

Take a gander:  Recovery From Religion.

I hope they do a good job.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for posting this. I

Thanks for posting this. I know of someone from another forum who may find this useful. He just recently, within the last few years, left the LDS church even though his family and wife are still devout goers.

Support the Separation of Church & State!
Freedom From Religion Foundation