Talking about your own volunteering

jcravens42
User is offlineOffline
Talking about your own volunteering

If you really want to advocate that atheists do, indeed, volunteer, then one of the things you can do is "witness" for your "belief" by blogging about your own volunteering. You can do this on your online profiles at MySpace, FaceBook, whatever, or on your own blogspace, wherever that is, or on your own web site.

I have three online efforts of my own about my volunteering:

One that lists every where I've volunteered: http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/asavol.html

One that gives an overview of how people can give time, in-kind donations and money to causes, with some of my own activities as an example:  http://www.coyotecommunications.com/cravens/how_I_donate.html

And my MySpace blog is focused on youth volunteering, http://blog.myspace.com/jaynecravens

Just something to think about. It's great to post here, but I think posting via other channels is a great way to "witness" for atheist / secular volunteering. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems a pretty odd post to

Seems a pretty odd post to give out websites when your tottal number of posts is only 6 and you include a website. I think this is more about you sneeking in an add for free because you know the traffic volume that comes here.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian I am unsure what you

Brian

I am unsure what you are trying to point out. What website is this person 'pimping' other then those that suppport volunteering?

-Renee 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jcravens, I agree with you

Jcravens, I agree with you in principle, and I think that anyone who feels like they can safely publicize volunteer efforts should.

In my case, it's a little dicey.  I live in the deep south, smack in the middle of the bible belt, and I own businesses that are dependent on public opinion.  Virtually all of my volunteer time and money goes to causes that would hurt my business if it hit the papers.  Unfortunately, I have to remain locally anonymous, except to my friends.  This is why my myspace page is private, and virtually everyone on it is someone I've met personally.

This, of course, is one of the reasons I volunteer and donate...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jcravens42
User is offlineOffline
I hear ya

I hear you, Daniel. I grew up in Kentucky. Indeed, being open about being an atheist can be a dicey thing to do in certain parts of the USA, and I do NOT think one should do it if it's going to put you in danger or make your life miserable and it's just not a battle you want to start. I think the dicey nature of such a situation is something only someone in a Bible Belt state can understand.

I wasn't really referring to talking about volunteering for political causes (although such is great, and I do it myself). It was more to encourage people who are "out" atheists to consider blogging about their volunteering experience for community groups, for instance (but only if they feel comfortable doing so). The web is packed with blogs and web sites talking about faith-based groups and individual and all they do as volunteers -- but there's little about secular groups and their community service activities. That's one of the reasons I started posting here -- as a volunteer management professional, I've witnessed first-hand the growing preference by the government to laud and support faith-based community initiatives. For them, secular volunteers simply do not exist. But I know they do, and want to support any efforts to raise the profile of such.

Unless more atheist/secular volunteers start promoting their own efforts -- ushering at the local theater, helping with the annual beach cleanup, helping in literacy programs, etc. -- volunteering is going to continue to be considered as the domain of those who are religious.

<><><><><><><><>
Jayne Cravens
http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/

jcravens42
User is offlineOffline
huh?

I'm not hiding behind any login handle -- I'm as transparent as anyone can be, short of posting my tax returns online. I'm a volunteer management professional, and I'm posting my web address to show that I'm for real, that I have a tremendous amount of experience in volunteerism-related subjects, and that I am ready to lend my support, in a very public way, to the idea of secular/atheist volunteers. Either this really is a site that is promoting atheist volunteers or it's not. If it's the former, then I'm going to keep posting and offering any of the *free* resources on my site that might be helpful to the "cause." If it's not, then someone please tell me now so I can withdraw immediately.

<><><><><><><><>
Jayne Cravens
http://www.coyotecommunications.com/volunteer/

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcravens42 wrote:I'm not

jcravens42 wrote:

I'm not hiding behind any login handle -- I'm as transparent as anyone can be, short of posting my tax returns online. I'm a volunteer management professional, and I'm posting my web address to show that I'm for real, that I have a tremendous amount of experience in volunteerism-related subjects, and that I am ready to lend my support, in a very public way, to the idea of secular/atheist volunteers. Either this really is a site that is promoting atheist volunteers or it's not. If it's the former, then I'm going to keep posting and offering any of the *free* resources on my site that might be helpful to the "cause." If it's not, then someone please tell me now so I can withdraw immediately.

WTF?

jcravens42 from HERE wrote:
So many of the threads in the Atheist Volunteers branch are offtopic -- they have nothing to do with volunteering. I've been trying to actually post ONtopic. I've been completely transparent about why I'm posting here. I was really fired up and happy to find this web site, per having to sift-through so many government-sponsored resources focused on faith-based volunteering. I really wanted to contribute to the "cause." But if you don't want my recommendations, that's fine -- good luck, and I'll now withdraw from participating.

A shame -- I really wanted to help more atheist be volunteers.

Threatening to withdraw support  doesn't seem to have helped the 'cause' any. It is starting to piss me off though. You're coming off as 'bitchy' towards the people that have allowed SPAM in the form of posts promoting something off-site on a website that is busy trying to improve and expand its own rank and reach on the internet.

You're also asking for volunteers during one of the most 'strenuous' times of the year (i.e. February short month and a potential recession)

Crossposting from blog to site doesn't bother people as much as crossposting thread to thread does.

What is it that you actually want to achieve? No more glittering generalities either. Specifics please.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it sucks that the

I think it sucks that the theists get all the credit for doing volunteer work. I might not mind so much but I think their primary motivation is recruiting not helping.

I tried volunteering with the Big Brother/Big Sister organization about a year or so ago. They seemed to really like me until I told them I was an Atheist that was very adamant about not wanting to discuss religion with anyones children. I had actually posted about this about the time I became a member of RRS. I had the bad luck of making that post when that bad info loss happened. In any event I've thought about contacting the ACLU about this but then again I'm not very keen on the Big Brother/Big Sister program anymore.

Back to the OP. In my experience many people "talk" about wanting to "help" but in reality, not many actually find the time, money, energy, ability, whatever to actually act on that "talk". I'd try to not get to antsy about a little questioning of your motives. It seems like you are truly interested in what you're talking about and trying to share. The few people who are interested will find your information and be thankful to you for providing it. I certainly appreciate your efforts.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:What is it

darth_josh wrote:

What is it that you actually want to achieve? No more glittering generalities either. Specifics please.

It seems like Jayne is just really, really into volunteering and is trying to provide some insight into what she thinks might be helpful to other Atheists trying to volunteer, as Atheists.

I've done lots of volunteering and almost always ducked the limelight. But people who are involved in the actual organization and managing of volunteer organizations work to promote volunteering. I think her talk about withdrawing is just not wanting to be offensive which could hurt her promotion of doing volunteer work. Maybe I'm just reading to much or not enough into what she's posted. Please don't take this post as inflammatory, I certainly don't mean for it to be.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

rockyabq
Scientist
rockyabq's picture
User is offlineOffline
I volunteer a couple of days

I volunteer a couple of days a week at a local hospital in the pediatric unit.  A few weeks ago I was in a patient's room holding the small child while the mother went to the cafeteria.  One of the hospital chaplains knocked and walked in.  I introduced myself and told her I was a volunteer.  She said, "We like to say a prayer for the children and the caregivers."
   I smiled and said, "Sure, go ahead."
   She said, "May I ask what religion you are."
   I said, "Actually, I'm an atheist."
   With a surprised look, she said, "Really??"
   I smiled and nodded and she said, "Would you mind if I asked you a question?"  I said no and she asked, "Why do you volunteer?"
   Though this struck me as a rather offensive question, I was polite and told her that I also consider myself to be a Humanist, and that it's my opinion that everyone should do their best to give back to their fellow man and to society whenever they can.
   She accepted that, bowed her head, and muttered her little prayer. When she'd finished, she said, "If you don't mind my asking, why do you think we're here?  What's the point in it all?"
   I told her that it's all a matter of random chance—that there's no design, no plan, and no one at the controls.
   She looked perplexed for a moment and said she hoped I didn't mind the questions.
   I said I didn't and told her, "Actually, I enjoy that kind of thing.  Any time you'd like to talk more about it, please look me up."

I've seen her on the unit a few times since then and we say, "Hi" to each other, but she's yet to take me up on my offer of further discussion.  I figure it's one of two things—either she's afraid I'll convince her to give up her faith or I'm just too EVIL to associate with.

Since the volume of the entire earth is 2.5988 x 10^11 cubic miles and the volume of the universe is 4.20 x 10^69 cubic miles, then in a universe "designed" and "fine-tuned" for humans we are able to occupy only about one 16,161,305,217,792,800,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th of it.

ManuAndres44
atheist
ManuAndres44's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hey this last one seems a

Hey this last one seems a very interesting volunteering experience. It's a good way to show that atheists can be everywhere helping each others without any religion.

Well I must admit I've no experience volunteering as an atheist and I didn't want to do it when at my job  was offered a chance because it was a kind of propaganda for the company in my personal opinion and I personally think I should do it by my side. Should I start organizing a group by my own shouldn't I?

Debate is the best way to share the knowledge

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
ManuAndres44 wrote: Hey

ManuAndres44 wrote:

Hey this last one seems a very interesting volunteering experience. It's a good way to show that atheists can be everywhere helping each others without any religion.

Well I must admit I've no experience volunteering as an atheist and I didn't want to do it when at my job  was offered a chance because it was a kind of propaganda for the company in my personal opinion and I personally think I should do it by my side. Should I start organizing a group by my own shouldn't I?

Hi Manu, you may be interested to learn about our latest project, which is a joint effort of many different atheist groups and individuals, called Atheism United. See our newsletter about it here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/new_rational_activism_projects_rrs

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

ManuAndres44
atheist
ManuAndres44's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hi! Thank you very much

Hi! Thank you very much for sharing your ideas. I was reviewing the newsletter and I think it's a great project that can gather a lot of atheists around the world. I'll stay in touch and look for the best way to volunteer either online or here in my own country. 

Debate is the best way to share the knowledge

C2H5OH (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Thank you for that wonderful

Thank you for that wonderful post.

I stumbled onto this sight looking for information about Athiests & volunteerism. I happen to call myself a Christian, but don't see that as my motivation for volunteering. I volunteer because I think it's the right thing to do. I frequently hear/overhear athiests verbally assaulting Christianity (usually something about christians assaulting non-Christians). Those athiests that do this don't seem to mind that their words are potentially insulting and not accurate about me or those who actually follow the teachings of the Bible. But, I also hear/overhear plenty of Christians saying things that are potentially just as offensive to non-believers. In my experience, many proclaimed Christians and many proclaimed Athiests are really agnostics with a bit of bias and a lot of conviction (or stubborness). Each of us has a right to believe what we choose and place our "faith" in whatever we choose. We should all accept that.

Why do so many (Christians and Athiests) feel the need to be so arrogant about their beliefs? And, why do those beliefs need to be divulged at every opportunity?

I have volunteered alongside one athiest (that I know of). There was no reason for me to know his beliefs or for him to know my beliefs. But, at one point, his belief punctuated his expressed opinion. It was in the wake of a major disaster (historic!). Religious services were not being allowed inside of Red Cross shelters. He said: "All these people have left is their faith. I don't think it is right to deny them their Sunday worship services...And I'm an Athiest". The source of those words SHOULD not be shocking to any truly free thinker.

Volunteering is the right thing to do. Athiests, Christians, etc all volunteering together is even better.