Sapient responds to mail via audio

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Sapient responds to mail via audio

It's been a while since I've done one of these.

Quote:
Here's the original post:
To: Brian Sapient
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [General Question] curious

Hey Brian haven't talked to you in a while, Still making people not believe in God by sharing the "truth"?. Anyway, why exactly do you beleive there is no God, I mean could their be ? or is there no way? What is the point to life without God? Just look at your mission in life is to what? tell people their is no God, no hope, no meaning to live. Why would you try to take that away. How exactly did we arrive here? Did we materalize from nothing? What exactly has happend in your life that would cause you to believe that God dosent exist? What do I know I'm only 18 but I do belive that there is a all powerful God named Jesus, Read the Bible and youll find that the words spoken a jam packed with wisdom and guidance. What is this feeling I feel when, like God is always with me, and that everything always works out for the best, it is the main reason I get up in the morning. I too used to question God but I now know that after I've been saved I dont do the things I used to do, Im not perfect but I'm still completly diffrent than I was before, For you guys to try and tell me there is no God, who exactly do yo uthink is blind here, I've seen first hand what God in someones life can do, and your no diffrent than any other unsaved person, just trying to find a way to explain your existence without God so you dont feel acountable for your actions when in the end there is no other way and you have to admit what you thought was the "truth" was just a big lie.God can change your life too tou just have to ask and I promise you'll go places you never even imagined, what have you got to lose?, will your rational responder friends kick you out? Shoot you can come hang with me man. Cya

Here's my response: http://www.briansapient.com/mailbag/DanielMailbag3_05_07.mp3

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: what have you got to

Quote:
what have you got to lose?, will your rational responder friends kick you out?

I wouldn't kick you out, Sapient. Smile

Quote:
Shoot you can come hang with me man. Cya

ROFL!

And do what? Read the Babble?

Anyway, I just finished downloading your response, Brian. I'll post another comment later.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait, Brian, the pixie in

Wait, Brian, the pixie in your pocket that created the pixie lake of fire is a male?  Shit ... my mind is blown.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'd say there's a lot more

I'd say there's a lot more idiocy in the BuyBull than wisdom.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't kick you out,

I wouldn't kick you out, Sapient. 

I would, however, roll my eyes, pull a pixie out of my pocket, hand her to you and laugh out loud because I know you're being quite silly.  If you were even half-way serious, I'd laugh AND point.

Very nice audio. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: and your no diffrent

Quote:
and your no diffrent than any other unsaved person, just trying to find a way to explain your existence without God so you dont feel acountable for your actions

Your projecting theism here! 

By removing god from the equation, we make our self responsible for what we do. The theist however, no longer has to be accountable since they've already been saved. They can do what ever they wan't.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow that's easy to tear

Wow that's easy to tear apart.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Michael A. Thompson
Michael A. Thompson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anyone looking for "meaning"

Anyone looking for "meaning" in their lives might want to go here: http://atheistvolunteers.org/  
Helping out may not give your life COMPLETE meaning but it's a REAL nice place to start.  =)

"Those who have stepped into the arena shall forever cherish a feeling the protected will never know."

g0at
Bronze Member
g0at's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks brian this is great!

Thanks brian this is great! Can't wait to share it with some friends...

Andrew Carmichael
Andrew Carmichael's picture
User is offlineOffline
that audio was so well

that audio was so well said.  kudos!

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great rational response,

Great rational response, Brian. I hope you put that in a more perminant spot on the site, cause it answers so many of the stupid bull shit questions that keep coming up.

Connor
Connor's picture
User is offlineOffline
Praise Jake!!

Praise Jake!! Innocent

Edit: Heyyy, I'm a product of southern public schooling! What are you trying to say Sapient? Wink

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
great response! It really

great response! It really shows how ridiculous the letter is. Sticking out tongue

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Whoa!  What the heck was

Whoa!  What the heck was that crack about "assuming" him being in the South?  So we're all just a bunch of hillbillies that don't know this fancy book learnin' like evolution, abiogenesis, and the big bang because we live in the south?

Where the heck is NASA?  Watch the shuttles blast off from Florida and then call Houston, Texas when they need help.  I guess that all the scientists and engineers that are involved with NASA were shipped down here from the north to live in the wastelands of the south surrounded by moronic hillbillies.  Poor enlightened northerners suffering among us ignorant southerners!

*sniff*  That was totally uncalled for.  You Northern Atheists are bastidges.

You try being an atheist in the Bible Belt. 

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

DBoone
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Dear Brian - You asked

Dear Brian -

You asked Daniel to give you one example of something a Theist can do that an Atheist cannot do. I hope you don't mind if I jump in.

How about waking up in the morning and thanking God in advance for the day just knowing that He is in it with you? You might be able to thank Jake but really there's no guarantee that he'll be there for you come morning. But you can cherish every moment that you have with Jake, right? But Jake is not God, and I guess that's my point. I see God in every moment of my life. He has never promised me a perfect life, but He has promised me perfect peace, not as the world gives but as He gives it, and to always be there for me, which He has. So I'm learning that for me life in all its reality is cause enough to worship God. Life is, after all, something we only get to do once, as far as I can tell, and it's all about how you and I respond to it.

You and I may both embrace reality, but let me put it this way: Reality is my reason to believe in the existence of God, whereas reality is you're reason not to believe.

So to answer your question directly, theists can believe in God whereas atheists cannot.

You may be an extraordinary humanitarian, and I would not have any reason to doubt that. From what I can tell, RRS is your way to try to make this world a better place. I can appreciate that even if I disagree with your motivation. I believe that even if you were to change your goals you would still strive to make a difference in this world. This is what I see as the spark of the Divine in you, albeit misdirected.

I'll be thinking about you, and you can pray to Jake for me *wink*

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Watcher wrote: You try

Watcher wrote:

You try being an atheist in the Bible Belt.

No thanks.  Maybe one day you can tell me about it over a beer.  No harm met in my southerner comment.