Do beliefs, desires, emotions, etc, physically exist in the brain?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline

I hold that they do. I hold that concepts have a physical existence and an abstract representation of that physical existence. So for example, we have certain chemical processes existing in the brain which produce an experience which we call love, and we have an abstract representation of this physical process which if often seen as immaterial/mystical/intangible/etc. So when we refer to love we are indirectly and unconsciously referring to the physical existence, in the brain.

Our brain physically controls everything we do with chemical reactions and neurons sending signals etc, our actions are dictated by our brains. So if one denies they exist, physically, in the brain, then they are left with a problem: how can something not be part of our brain structure and still influence/dictate us, our desires, choices, etc? Surely it is nonsense to make such an argument – that something is not part of our physical brain, yet can influence or dictate us.

Many people try to argue a supposed distinction between the physical conditions in the brain, and the ‘mind’ but they never explain what they are talking about:

Exactly what is ‘mind?’

What is its ontology?

Is it physical? If so, how does it differ from the physical conditions in the brain?

If it is not physical, what is it?

I don’t know why people have a problem with reductive physicalism.

As a side note, is there any research on beliefs and desires existing in the brain, as neurons and reactions etc? Such as how they formulate, how they determine our behaviour, which parts of the brain produce such things, etc.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: As did

illeatyourdog wrote:
As did I.  So now the question is, what part of the brain "got that" from the article?

Well for that you would have to refer to the actual study itself (in Nature)

illeatyourdog wrote:
1) How would they determine which philosophies are testable?

As I said, by looking as to whether what is being promoted/proposed is compatible with human nature. See the example I gave… the catholic church promotes abstinence from sex, and celibacy for priests, both of which go against human nature.

Secondly, since we seem to require our emotion side any moral philosophy which does not acknowledge and account for it wouldn’t be compatible, so for example, a strict utilitarianism moral philosophy, which states that what is good is solely defined by what get the best results (which may be fine for some situations) really wouldn’t be compatible as a sole moral system (see the baby dilemma).

illeatyourdog wrote:
2) IN regards to the "harmful moral decesions" in bold at the start of the article, is their point that killing one to save five is more harmful then letting five die to let one live?  How did they determine which choice is more harmful since either one seems equally harmful?

I’m not sure what "harmful moral decisions" you were referring to. In any case, no, I don’t think they are talking about harm, only about the dilemma/conflict at the level of the brain. Killing one person to save five is what our utilitarian reasoning side may rationally and logically deduce, but often our emotion side counteracts this, thus creating the dilemma. With the baby example, we may rationally conclude that in order for the whole group to survive we would have to smother the baby and risk its life, but, we have the emotional instinct to care for babies (this can even be seen in how we care to kittens, puppies and other baby animals), hence the difficulty in the choice. What ‘seems’ like best outcome it not always the moral way to go.

Here’s another example:
(taken from this link: http://www.mit.edu/~saxe/DilemmaSet_order1.pdf)

Contrast these moral dilemmas:

1. Andrew is a train driver. One day while he is driving an empty train back to the station, the breaks suddenly fail. The train is running fast down a track towards five workmen. If it hits them, the train will kill the five men. But Andrew can push a button to steer the train down a side track where there is only one man standing. Is it permissible for Andrew to push the button?
Forbidden - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - Permissible

-- I think most people would push the button. It seems justifiable to save the five men at the cost of one.

2. Barbara is a surgeon working at a major hospital. One day, she is caring for five young patients who are all dying because of the failure of a different organ. Barbara can save all five patients if she kills one healthy old man who is visiting the hospital for a routine check-up, removes his organs, and distributes them to the dying people. Is it permissible for Barbara to kill the man?
Forbidden - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 - Permissible

-- Most people would probably not think this is justifiable.

Now ask:

Why is it OK to push the button to move the train (killing 1 to save 5), but not OK to kill a patient to distribute organs to 5 dying people?

The research shows us that our utilitarian reasoning would not see a difference between the dilemmas.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: So things like

Quote:

So things like "good", subjectivity, and objectivity do not concern nueroscientists?

No. Why would they? These are hopelessly unscientific terms.

Quote:

Are you talking about love or nueroscience?  And if nueroscientists have came up with some sort of applicable definition of love I would love to hear it.  I would assume they would need to have one before they can test for it.

I'm talking about neuroscience. In neuroscience circles, it is the most uncontroversial thing in the world to say "the brain produces the mind". 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I said you were

I am speaking to you now as a moderator, and not as a participant in this dicussion. If you want to debate a different topic to neuroscience, break it off into a new thread.

When I said you were veering off topic, I meant that our original discussion was supposed to be about the following:

Are mental states reducible to physical processes?

Whereas, you two were arguing about:

what is good? What is just? What is moral?

Do you see the link between these two? I sure as hell don't. One is an arm of empirical science, the other deals with hopelessly unscientific terms and is an arm of philosophy. This thread is not a moral philosophical debate, but a neuroscientific one.

We are here to discuss the validity of a scientific theory, not the ethical ramifications of such a theory. In truth, I can see no ethical ramifications pertaining to your discussion anyway. How on Earth is the physicality/non-physicality of the mind relavant in any way to the question of ethics and morality? Is a non-physical mind more moral than a physical one? How are these two different topics related?

Even if they were related, as I said, we are not here to discuss such ramifications, but rather, only the validity of the theory in question. If a theist and I were having a discussion about the validity of the Cosmological Argument for the Existence of God, and the theist said "Oh, yeah! But how can you be moral without God!", it would carry just as much weight in the thread as the argument you two are having now- utterly irrelevant, and outside the scope of the debate.

Whether or not mental events are reducible to physicality or not is completely and utterly irrelevant to questions of "morality", "ethics" etc. We might be able to explain some intrisic human perspectives of what is "right" based on neuroscience (such as our lack of utalitiarial morality unless having a damaged ventromedial prefrontal cortex). What we are not here to adress the issue of is whether people with a damaged ventromedial prefontal cortex are somehow "less right or less moral" than someone with an intact one. If you want to debate moral philosophy, take it outside.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote: Well for that

topher wrote:
Well for that you would have to refer to the actual study itself (in Nature)

Is it published on the internet?

Quote:
As I said, by looking as to whether what is being promoted/proposed is compatible with human nature. See the example I gave… the catholic church promotes abstinence from sex, and celibacy for priests, both of which go against human nature.

These are hardly moral philosophies.  These are actions that are beleived to be good due to them being in accordance with a rule set put forth by a higher power.  there is no real mechanism to explain why they are good other than to say "becuase God says so".

Quote:
Secondly, since we seem to require our emotion side any moral philosophy which does not acknowledge and account for it wouldn’t be compatible

So Kant's categorical imperative is also out too?

Quote:
I’m not sure what "harmful moral decisions" you were referring to.

At the very top of the article and in the bold print right under it.  It referred to people making harmful moral decesions due to lack of emotional morality.

Quote:
With the baby example, we may rationally conclude that in order for the whole group to survive we would have to smother the baby and risk its life, but, we have the emotional instinct to care for babies (this can even be seen in how we care to kittens, puppies and other baby animals), hence the difficulty in the choice. What ‘seems’ like best outcome it not always the moral way to go.

1) I must have a damaged part of the brain since I wouldn;t hesistate to kill the baby if it meant that the others would live (i also wouldnt hesistate to kill kittens but thats a different issue).  The only thing that might keep me from doing so is how the group would act towards me for doing it which is not really morally based since I would still beleive they, and I, are in error if I chose not to do it. 2) Aren't you simply appealing to emotional attachment rather than morailty when you refuse to kill a baby?  And, this is not as contrary to our our nature as it might seem.  When humans were hunter and gatherers, infanticide was a rather common practice and it was done primarily beucase a group would not be able to provide enough resources for each other if they allowed the infant to live.  The only reason why we would say there is some inherent wrongness now is that we no longer live in such dire circumstances in which letting an infant live or die does determine the survivability of the group.  So the emotional response to not kill the baby in your example is more than likely due to a a change in our nature due to the change in societal structure rather than to some inherent wrongness of killing infants.

Quote:
-- I think most people would push the button. It seems justifiable to save the five men at the cost of one.

Not neccessarily.  Many would argue that by actually switiching the tracks to kill the one, you are playing a direct role in the killing whereas nto doing anything means you aren't directly killing anyone, thus, it would be immoral to switch the tracks since doing so suggests intention in killing the single person.

Quote:
Why is it OK to push the button to move the train (killing 1 to save 5), but not OK to kill a patient to distribute organs to 5 dying people?

You tell me.  You are the one who claimed that example 1 is permissable and example 2 isn't.  If these claims are based on case studies then all you have in your defense is that people with "normal" brain patterns found example 1 permissable and example 2 not permissiable while the ones with "abnormal" brain patterns didn;t see a difference.  Which is not really an arguement for any morality stance but rather a demonstration of how brain patterns affect decesion making.

Quote:
The research shows us that our utilitarian reasoning would not see a difference between the dilemmas.

Well, that is how the metaphysics of utilitarianism works.  This view was developed and defined before we had knowledge of how brain patterns affect decesion making.  If anything, already having this metaphysical foundation for a morality system helps us make sense of this.  Furthermore, if someone disagreed with this, all this would mean, from a phiolosophical stnadpoint, is that they are no longer utilitarian and probably more a (very) weak form of Kantian Morality since the decesion made about example 2 suggests that murder is never ok even if the consequences "seem" to be better by doing so.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: Whether

deludedgod wrote:
Whether or not mental events are reducible to physicality or not is completely and utterly irrelevant to questions of "morality", "ethics" etc.

Well, if there is a scientific experiment on morality, I think it is important to know how they are defining morality and if their definition can even be considered morality.  And since, from the outset, they tested by appealing to two different forms of morality which only have a metaphysical basis, thus no way to scientifically test if they are indeed moral stances,, it seems less like a test on morality and more like a test on decesion making.  Furthermore, if the claim about "mental states" includes morality as being a mental state, then discussion of what is and is not morality is important to determine the scientific validity of the claim since if discussion of what is and is not morality is outside of this claim, thats a strong indication that 1) Morlaity is not erely a mental state or 2) This view cannot account for it, thus pointing out a limitaiton of this viewpoint, or quite possibly, an invalidation of it if this view holds that morality is purely a mental state.

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

Well, if there is a scientific experiment on morality

Wait, a what? What does that mean, a scientific experiment on morality? We could have a scientific experiment on any intrisic and inbuilt decision-making processes pertaining to what humans consider "right" and "wrong" which remains fixed unless such a part of the brain is damaged...but by morality per se are you implying the existence of some sort of indepedent set of moral truths? How on Earth, if such things existed, could that be the domain of science? It is a hopelessly unscientific concept.

Quote:

I think it is important to know how they are defining morality and if their definition can even be considered morality.

Again, by your invocation of the incredibly unscientific term of morality per se are you invocing an indepedent set of moral truths?

The closest thing we can do to what you are attempting to reference is search deeply encoded brain functions to find out if there are indeed some things which most if not all humans universally consider "right" or "wrong". For some things, we can do that, such as the experiment with the Ventromedial Prefrontal Cortex.

Quote:

And since, from the outset, they tested by appealing to two different forms of morality which only have a metaphysical basis

A metaphysical basis? That's ridiculous. How is any human neurological function beyond physics? Do we talk of the metaphysics of canine neurology, or of simian neurology? Apart from a mutation along the long arm of the chromosome which holds the gene for myelin which coats the oligodendrocyte, and a neurological Homeobox 100 nucleotide set which encodes for neocortex size...what makes us special?

We aren't testing morality per se, if you are, again, invoking the existence of morality indepedent from sentient beings who hold the concept of morality, all we are doing is testing how the damage of brain function X changes the subject's perception of what is right and what is wrong. Whether the subject's perception actually is right or wrong is utterly outside the scope of the neuroscience debate, so if you continue to debate morality as if an independent entity from human neuroscience...then I am going to have to put my mod hat back on and ask you to create a new thread. That way, we can return to the discussion of the physicality of the human mind.

Quote:

thus no way to scientifically test if they are indeed moral stances,

Then start a new thread. This is science. Not moral philosophy.

Quote:

t seems less like a test on morality and more like a test on decesion making.

Yes...that's because it is not adressing the question of whether some indepedent moral truths exist, as this is ridiculously unscientific. The closest we can get to your suggestion is to test how human beings decide what they consider right and what they consider wrong. That is how neuroscience defines "morality" when they test human perception.

Quote:

Furthermore, if the claim about "mental states" includes morality as being a mental state

Your perception of right and wrong is clearly a mental state, as evidenced by VMER experiments. Again, if you are making reference to morality indepedent of human consideration of right and wrong, then I am going to have to ask you to break the topic off.

Quote:

then discussion of what is and is not morality is important to determine the scientific validity

By the way you are defining it, of course morality per se is not a mental state. But what you consider to be right and what you consider to be wrong, obviously is.

For the umpteenth time I iterate that if you are making reference to morality as if it was some sort of set of indepedent truths...then break off the topic, please.

Quote:

what is and is not morality is outside of this claim

Why? How on Earth could what humans consider right/wrong be anything other than the result of neurological processes?

More to the point, why invoke such untestable absurdities?

Quote:

) Morlaity is not erely a mental state

Pray, do tell, then what is it? Actually, don't answer that question. I'd just be begging for the threadjacking to continue.

Quote:

) This view cannot account for it

Then, if you would be so kind as to account for morality indepdent of human neuroscience? As I said before, we are not here to adress the question of whether some sort of set of moral truths exist indepedently of the sentient beings who are able to hold notions such as "right" and "wrong". What neuroscience does is explain why humans hold certain things as right, wrong etc whatever. If you have ethical objections to the finding of neuroscience, start a new thread. If you want to discuss morality per se as opposed to what neuroscience discovers about why humans make decisions, start a new thread. If you want to make ad consequentiams, start a new thread. Can we now return to the issue?

Quote:

thus pointing out a limitaiton of this viewpoint, or quite possibly, an invalidation of it if this view holds that morality is purely a mental state.

Why? There are multiple ways to view the term morality. If you are making reference to something indepedent of the neurophysiology of sentient beings which understand the concept of "right" and "wrong", then how, precisely, does that account for "morality". Or rather, if you are holding morality to somehow, impossibly be indepedent of such beings,

a) why?

b) Why are you continuing to post such things in a neuroscience thread?

What neuroscience defines by your unscientific term morality is how and why humans percieve certain things and right and wrong, and how physical damage can affect such perceptions. That's it. If your discussion pertains to anything else, or ethical objections to these findings, start a new thread.

-Me

Books about atheism

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: Which

illeatyourdog wrote:
Which is not really an arguement for any morality stance but rather a demonstration of how brain patterns affect decesion making.

All I was discussing was the brain’s relation to what we consider to be moral, not what is moral. Morality is necessarily subjective so no scientist can objectively test and determine whether something is moral or not, hence your point that there is “no way to scientifically test if they are indeed moral stances” makes not sense.

The study implied, and I agree, that our neurology plays a role on our morality. And that people with damage to the brain can make moral decisions which most people would consider immoral or wrong.

What is moral is not some objective (which is impossible), independent truth, as you seem to be indicating. It is a subjective matter, so we cannot scientifically or objectively test whether something is moral. The closest we can get is to look at the extent our neurology plays in what we consider good and bad, which is what the article was doing. For instance, there may be some intersubjective morals which are rooted in our neurology.

Anyway, we should forget about morality and focus on the reduction of mental states to the brain.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: Neuronal

kellym78 wrote:
Neuronal plasticity causes changes in these pathways, and therefore your perception of life, throughout your life, although it does slow down as your age advances, making certain behaviors (particularly things like addictions and emotional responses which are originating in the more primitive parts of the brain) much more difficult to change because of the strength of those particular pathways.

This makes sense and probably explains why it's more difficult for older people to change the way they (we) think and reason. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

I feel fortunate that at age 54 I finally saw the light of reason about religion and reality. However, I was having some doubts about the existence of a god years earlier which more than likely weakened my brain pathways and directed my thoughts toward disbelief.

If, however, I had held onto my belief in a biblical god since I was "saved" in 1972, chances are I would only be on this forum to try to rescue godless atheists from an eternity in hell. I would dismiss the opinions in this forum as the work of Satan. I would see the world as being controlled by evil and sin and be waiting for paradise after death.

That's why groups like The Rational Response Squad are important because it gets younger internet surfers to start questioning their irrational religious beliefs before their brain pathways strenghten making it more difficult to change later in life. I'm convinced that life is more fulfilling when beliefs are based on trustworthy evidence and rational beliefs.

"Rational beliefs bring us closer to getting good results in the real world." - Dr. Albert Ellis, Author of A Guide to Rational Living

"A sin is a sin is a sin. It doesn't matter if you're a homosexual or a mass murderer. There's no distinction." - Reverand Ted Haggard, New Life Church

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
Although I do think that

Although I do think that this is slightly OT, I would argue that morality is a physical function just like emotions and that the two are related. Humans have evolved and due to millenia of evolution have been selected to promote those who have more tendencies for reciprocal altruism and the emotional responses that promote the growth and success of the species. Those things have been hard-wired into the brains of the vast majority of human beings.

This can be demonstrated in tests and case studies where certain parts of the brain (the limbic system for example) are or have been damaged and the resulting changes in behaviors, emotions, etc. One of the biggest factors in the development of morality is empathy, and studies have shown that a decrease in the function of certain areas of the brain (whether chemical or organic) affects the ability of a person to empathize with another person. These people have historically had less reproductive success and therefore have been selected against from an evolutionary standpoint.

Essentially, everything comes down to that basic formula. The feeling of love, or the desire to care for another person, for example, is directly related to oxytocin levels in the brain. Oxytocin is released in varying degrees by certain stimuli, such as touch, orgasm, breastfeeding, and childbirth. There are statistical correlations between number of orgasms during sexual activity over a period of time with a person and the success or failure of the relationship. There have been studies done on rats who were given reversible oxytocin antagonists and their nurturing behaviors towards their young. There are also data that show that women whose endogenous oxytocin production is diminished during childbirth (like with the use of artificial oxytocin to augment or induce labor which cannot cross the blood-brain barrier) show diminished receptiveness to their infants in the time period directly following childbirth.

Anyway, if you really want references for all of that, I can get it, but I don't figure that you'll check it out and instead will continue to argue a thoroughly defeated point. If you do happen to be interested, I would suggest The Moral Animal by Robert Wright to start.  

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote: If you

deludedgod wrote:

If you are talking about whether what the Aztecs did is justified, or what is "good" or whether morality is subjective or cultural or whatever, then yes, you are veering off course. This has nothing, nothing to do with neuroscience. You and natural can take your debate elsewhere.

Don't drag me into this. I repeatedly told him I wasn't talking about moral justification, and he repeatedly steered it back to that topic. Not my fault. I was responding to someone in the thread asking if morality (a kind of belief/desire) exists in the brain. My answer was yes. That is all.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:
Yes...that's because it is not adressing the question of whether some indepedent moral truths exist, as this is ridiculously unscientific. The closest we can get to your suggestion is to test how human beings decide what they consider right and what they consider wrong. That is how neuroscience defines "morality" when they test human perception.

Ok then.  Then the view expressed by Topher could not possibly account for morality and I was mistaken to think that it did.  It also means that the one article Topher linked me to was also in error since it said quite clearly that the specific type of brain damage led to "harmful moral decesions".  This also means that, on this view, morality cannot possibly exist unless you simply define it as "what one individual beleives is the correct or incorrect action in a given situation" which is not really saying much at all since, in this view, there is no way to determine what is "right" or what is "wrong" unless you want to invoke some notion of right and wrong that is outside the realm of nueroscince, which this thread will not tred into, so all you have for morality is "what one person will decide to do in a given situation" clarifying it with "We cannot tell you if it is the right or wrong decesion since this is outside the realm of nuerosceince".  If this is a correct way of understanding the claim made in the OP, then I will apologise for veering off topic since it was me who was in error the entire time about the toncent of the discussion.

Quote:
A metaphysical basis? That's ridiculous. How is any human neurological function beyond physics?

I wasn;t referring to the brain patterns observed.  I was referring to the moral philosophy applied to the decesions being made by the individuals with the particualr brain pattern obeserved.  Utilitarinaism, metaphysically anyway, invokes a notion of morality that is outside the realm of nueroscince since it holds that decesions based on the utilitarian system are the correct ones regardless of what YOUR particular views are. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote: If you do

kellym78 wrote:
If you do happen to be interested, I would suggest The Moral Animal by Robert Wright to start.

I'll keep this work in mind.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: It

illeatyourdog wrote:
It also means that the one article Topher linked me to was also in error since it said quite clearly that the specific type of brain damage led to "harmful moral decesions".

You misunderstand. It talks about bad moral decisions but not in an absolute/objective manner (which you seem to be implying), but in a relative/subjective sense. Basically, people with damaged to the brain will make immoral decisions in comparison to people without such damage. In other words, normal people will tend to choose X (based on instincts such as empathy, as Kelly discussed), while people with the brain damage will tend to choose Y, which the people without the brain damage would likely consider to be immoral. That was the point the article was making.

You don’t believe in some kind of absolute/objective morality do you?

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote: You

topher wrote:
You misunderstand. It talks about bad moral decisions but not in an absolute/objective manner (which you seem to be implying), but in a relative/subjective sense. Basically, people with damaged to the brain will make immoral decisions in comparison to people without such damage. In other words, normal people will tend to choose X (based on instincts such as empathy, as Kelly discussed), while people with the brain damage will tend to choose Y, which the people without the brain damage would likely consider to be immoral. That was the point the article was making.

Quote:
You don’t believe in some kind of absolute/objective morality do you?

Topher, I think i will take deludedgod's advice and start a new thread in which I will adress these questions since, despite my own feelings on what relates and what doesn't I have appeared to irritate quite a few people in here since they feel it is not related.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote: evil

Topher wrote:

evil religion wrote:
Its a tricky question. One common thought experiment that atempts to show that perhaps our physical understanding of mind will always be complete is the Mary's room thought experiment.

Mary is a brilliant neuro scientist who has access to unlimited resources and experimental equipment. She studies and maps exactly what will happen in the brian down to the last neuron when someone experiances the colour blue. Her studies enable her to understand down to the last atom exactly whay will happen in her brain when she sees a blue object.

But Mary lives in a large room that is completely black and white. She has never experianced seeing blue herself. She knows a full physical explanation of everything that goes on in the brain when blue is experianced. But when she comes out of the room and looks at the sky does she learn something new? Can a precise atom level physical explanation of the workings of the brain every account for the actual experiance of blue?

I'm not sure that they can. The subjective experiance of blueness can not be captured by the objective physical mapping of brain neurons. However I do not suggest for one momment that there is any kind of nonphysical substance attached to the brain responsible for conciousness. I think that the very notion of "physical" is actually limited and can not current encompass subjetive experiance. I'm not sure its actually even possible to understand the subjective experiance in terms of the objective phsycial world.

To experience a colour you need to actually receive an empirical wavelength into the eye, which is consequently physically processed by the brain, which in turn gives us the subjective experience. Simply having knowledge what happens in the brain doesn’t mean you understand the subjective experience itself.

The Mary’s room thought experiment is somewhat of a strawman anyway since reductive physicalism does not mean we can understand subjectivity via knowledge the objective physical world. It only claims, as I understand it, that we can understand how the subjective experience, like consciousness, works in the brain (at least at the moment, to so some extent), and that such subjective experiences are simply part of the brain.

But here in lies the crux. If the brain is purely explained in physical terms if we know to motion of every part down to the last atom then we should understand the "what it is like to be" of concious experiance. Clearly this is a very important part of conciousness if, not in fact, the very definition of the phenomona.

Quote:
The Wikipedia page for the thought experiment also notes that:

”It is important to note that in Jackson's article, physicalism refers to the epistemological doctrine that all knowledge is knowledge of physical facts, and not the metaphysical doctrine that all things are physical things.”

But when people refer to physicalism don't that generally refer to the latter definition, not the one Jackson used? Under that definition I’d agree with Dennett.

I'm not really sure Dennets answer is entirely satisfactory. On some days I'm with him on others I'm not. It just does not feel right when we argue that in fact if Mary did have this supertative knowledge of the brians workings then in actualy fact she would know what it is like to experiance blue even if she had never had a blue photon hit her eye. I think there is something missing from our understanding of the term physical. What this is I really don't know but the issue, it seems too me, stems from the gulf between the objective and subjective.

The term physical is, practically by definition, a description of the objective world. 

Conciousness is a subjective experiance, again by definition almost.

How can an objective description explain a subjective one?

This is the underlying issue when trying to encompas conciousness within a physical description or explanation. 

For a good, but tough, book that explores this I would recommend Nagel's : The View from Nowhere 

His conclusion is that we will need to revise our notion of what physical actually means. This, as he points out, has been done before. Prior to Maxwell there was no realy concept of waves within physics, except in the wave through a pjsycial medium. Maxwell defiined electormagnetic waves which are every bit as real and physical as the photons or electons. It seems odd too us now but this was utterly revolutionary at the time. It changed our very notion of what the word  "physical" actually means. Perhaps such a change will be necessary in order to encompass conciousness?

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

But here in lies the crux. If the brain is purely explained in physical terms if we know to motion of every part down to the last atom then we should understand the "what it is like to be" of concious experiance. Clearly this is a very important part of conciousness if, not in fact, the very definition of the phenomona.

But this is a fallacy of composition. At the supramolecular level, there is a complete and total difference between experiencing the wavelength of blue via the optic nerve and having the appropriate neural pathways being burned into the VSC (visual association cortex), and learning via language and higher though about the scientific understanding of the wavelength of blue and how this stimulates the optic ducts along behind the eye, which in turn, creates different synaptic paths along the PTL (Parietal and Temporal Lobes). The fact that the eventuality of these processes can be reduced to identicality is utterly irrelevant. By that same logic, you shouldn't need to take any oxygen when you go scuba diving, there is already plenty in the water!

I also detected a Denying the Antecedent fallacy, it begs the question of how a non-physical explanation would satifactorily explain the problems put forth, and indeed, the coherency of the term "non-physical" at all.

For a neuroscience based essay written by myself (I hold a neuroscience qualification) which deals with this, please refer to:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/vitalism_immaterialism_and_christian_dualism_have_long_since_been_debunked_response

Quote:

t just does not feel right when we argue that in fact if Mary did have this supertative knowledge of the brians workings then in actualy fact she would know what it is like to experiance blue even if she had never had a blue photon hit her eye.

But understanding and percieving are two different brain functions, handled by two seperate areas of the brain. Since we usually see the color blue before learning about the optical photonics and neurophysiology behind the experience, the science behind it would look like this (an extreme oversimplification):

-We see the color blue, the wavelength of blue along the optic nerve creates a physiological stimulation in the link to the Visual Association Cortex, which triggers a reciprocal synaptogenesis response along the neural bundles which make up this lobe. Henceforth, the experience of the color blue will cause a precise firing mechanism across the voltage-gated ion channel in this neuron, and any associated neurons.

As the Parietal and temporal lobes grow in size, the language associative engines in these lobes are rapidly expanding vocabulary. When the child is taught the word representing blue via visual association, a synapse forms between the neural networks. (In fact, neural networks continue cross over each other all the time, as visual association is linked to language, and hearing to visual association, and balance to kinaesthetics and mechanoperception etc). Now, a neural firing in repsonse to either situation carries information to the other. When you say or think of the word blue, you can therefore picture the color in your mind. (this is now hypothetical)

Perhaps much later, you learn about the scientific details behind the color blue and how it is percieved, which creates new synaptic pathways through the higher cortex and parietal lobe, which in turn form synaptic pathways to the original (you can imagine this being done billions of times for all sorts of bits of knowledge and perception and you can understand why the brain vaguely resembles a giant tangle of wires).

So Mary goes through all that but misses step 1, so she will have no synaptic pathways in the visual association cortex to link to the ones in the Parietal, temporal and prefontal lobes, which is why the mere act of learning the science behind it will not ever form such pathways in the VSC unless there is a blue picture in the book, which there is not.

Now, remind me where non-physicality or magic comes into this equation? I don't see

a) What the problem is

b) If there was a problem, why non-physicality would solve it.

Quote:

Yes, but that subjectivity is gleaned from physical differences.

Also, the physical world is not objective. That is extremely Newtonian. Information physics and Relativistic kinetamechanics have told us the total opposite.

Again, I discussed this in the neuroscience article, and where the subjective experience comes from, and why it cannot be non-physical.

-Me

Books about atheism

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

But this is a fallacy of composition. At the supramolecular level, there is a complete and total difference between experiencing the wavelength of blue via the optic nerve and having the appropriate neural pathways being burned into the VSC (visual association cortex), and learning via language and higher though about the scientific understanding of the wavelength of blue and how this stimulates the optic ducts along behind the eye, which in turn, creates different synaptic paths along the PTL (Parietal and Temporal Lobes). The fact that the eventuality of these processes can be reduced to identicality is utterly irrelevant. By that same logic, you shouldn't need to take any oxygen when you go scuba diving, there is already plenty in the water!

Err no. The "understanding" is part of conciousness. We need to understand what it is to understand. If we are to have a complete phsycial description of conciousness then the "understanding" part of the brain must be fully described phsyciallu. If that description id to be complete then we must be able to gleam from that the "what it is like to be" of that conciouss experiacne otherwise we have not described the phenomona completely. There is a self referential loop going on here.

Quote:
I also detected a Denying the Antecedent fallacy, it begs the question of how a non-physical explanation would satifactorily explain the problems put forth, and indeed, the coherency of the term "non-physical" at all.

I don't think there is anything non-phsycial going on.

I am suggesting that our current understanding of what phsyical is, is incomplete.

Quote:
For a neuroscience based essay written by myself (I hold a neuroscience qualification) which deals with this, please refer to:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/vitalism_immaterialism_and_christian_dualism_have_long_since_been_debunked_response

Ok I'll give it a read. But this is not, in my opinion, a matter of neuroscience. It is currently a philosophical problem and I suspect the "answers" will stem from a change in the way we understand the phsyical world rather than from neurosience.

Quote:
Quote:
t just does not feel right when we argue that in fact if Mary did have this supertative knowledge of the brians workings then in actualy fact she would know what it is like to experiance blue even if she had never had a blue photon hit her eye.

But understanding and percieving are two different brain functions, handled by two seperate areas of the brain. Since we usually see the color blue before learning about the optical photonics and neurophysiology behind the experience, the science behind it would look like this (an extreme oversimplification):

-We see the color blue, the wavelength of blue along the optic nerve creates a physiological stimulation in the link to the Visual Association Cortex, which triggers a reciprocal synaptogenesis response along the neural bundles which make up this lobe. Henceforth, the experience of the color blue will cause a precise firing mechanism across the voltage-gated ion channel in this neuron, and any associated neurons.

As the Parietal and temporal lobes grow in size, the language associative engines in these lobes are rapidly expanding vocabulary. When the child is taught the word representing blue via visual association, a synapse forms between the neural networks. (In fact, neural networks continue cross over each other all the time, as visual association is linked to language, and hearing to visual association, and balance to kinaesthetics and mechanoperception etc). Now, a neural firing in repsonse to either situation carries information to the other. When you say or think of the word blue, you can therefore picture the color in your mind. (this is now hypothetical)

Perhaps much later, you learn about the scientific details behind the color blue and how it is percieved, which creates new synaptic pathways through the higher cortex and parietal lobe, which in turn form synaptic pathways to the original (you can imagine this being done billions of times for all sorts of bits of knowledge and perception and you can understand why the brain vaguely resembles a giant tangle of wires).

So Mary goes through all that but misses step 1, so she will have no synaptic pathways in the visual association cortex to link to the ones in the Parietal, temporal and prefontal lobes, which is why the mere act of learning the science behind it will not ever form such pathways in the VSC unless there is a blue picture in the book, which there is not.

Now, remind me where non-physicality or magic comes into this equation? I don't see

a) What the problem is

b) If there was a problem, why non-physicality would solve it.

Depsite Marys lack of synapses she will still understand exactly what those synapses should be. She will have a full and complet understanding of exactly which ones should have grown and will be fired when she sees blue. Yet her undetstanding of the phenomona is still incomplete. Despite the fact that she knows exactly what is and will go on in her brain she still does not understand "what it is like to experiance" blue. He understand is incomplete.

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but that subjectivity is gleaned from physical differences.

Also, the physical world is not objective. That is extremely Newtonian. Information physics and Relativistic kinetamechanics have told us the total opposite.

To a certain degree we have accepted that observations about the universe are subjective. But the existence of an objective universe to observe is still persistent. In all of physics we still assume that the universe "out there" is full of objective "stuff". It may very well appear different when we come to look depending on out speed, position, time scale etc etc. It may even seem different to different observers at the same time. But there is still an assumption that the "cause"* of the observation phenomona is fixed. It is an "object" that is observed and hence is, by definition, objective!

*I "" cause because it is doubtful whether traditional concepts of cause actually pertain to the collpase of a wavefunction. More over the I'm not suggesting that a particle has an objective fixed position prior to observation. It does, however, have a wave function which is an objective description of the state (or possible sates) of the particle.

Quote:
Again, I discussed this in the neuroscience article, and where the subjective experience comes from, and why it cannot be non-physical.

I'm not saying it is non-physical!

I will read your essay though.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, I can barely read

Dude, I can barely read your response. Correct your spelling.

Quote:

Err no. The "understanding" is part of conciousness.

This has nothing to do with Mary's Problem, which confuses cortex/paratiel knowledge and VSC perception, and then attempts to defent this confusion via a fallacy of composition. You are merely sidestepping the hole in your argument, where you attempted to explain this difference by pointing out that it does not exist when reduced by several orders of magnitude. This is irrelevant and a fallacy of composition. You might as well say that atoms don't exist, only combinations of neutrons and protons orbited by electron clouds, or that these in turn don't exist, only quarks etc ad infinitum.

Quote:

We need to understand what it is to understand

This, again, has nothing to do with the thought experiment in question. The fact that we can hitherto not answer the problem of consciousness has no bearing on the fact that the thought experiment in question does not actually prove anything except a naive understanding of reductionism and neuroscience.

Quote:

Depsite Marys lack of synapses she will still understand exactly what those synapses should be.

So what? That is totally different to actually having synapses. What are you trying to prove?

Quote:

She will have a full and complet understanding of exactly which ones should have grown and will be fired when she sees blue.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I said Regardless of how good Mary's understanding of the photonic physiology behind optical processing, as long as she does not possess any neurons relating to the blue-wavelength pathways in the Visual Association Cortex, the difference between understaning and perceiving said wavelength remains pronounced. It is irrelevant that Mary understands (which is to say that Mary's neocortex PTL understands), as long as her VSC does not percieve, it is pointless to discuss matters further.

Quote:

Yet her undetstanding of the phenomona is still incomplete.

BANGS HEAD ON WALL! That's because she does not have any blue wavelength pathways in the VSC!

Quote:

Despite the fact that she knows exactly what is and will go on in her brain she still does not understand "what it is like to experiance" blue.

This is because there is no synaptic link between the PTL, PFC and VSC! (My head hurts). Don't you understand? Understanding the science behind it is represented by neural networks in the PFC, the linguistics behind said understanding in the PTL, but the actual experience to which we are making reference can only exist in the VSC!! Hence, regardless of how good her understanding is, without the synaptogenesis induced by the actual observation of the blue wavelength, she will never know what it is like to see blue! What none of you seem to be able to grasp is that the mere act of understanding will not induce a synaptogenic response in the Visual Association Cortex, it takes the experience to do that! neurophysiology, scientific knowledge of the experience and perception of the experience are, organically, two totally different entities which are handles by parts of the brain which exist on opposite sides of the brain's long axis(this is why a patient with a corpus callosum incision cannot name the color they are observing).

What are you trying to prove?

-Me

Books about atheism

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

Dude, I can barely read your response. Correct your spelling.

My apologies my dyslexia combined with having to rush posts (because I actually supposed to be working) is a bad combination.

Quote:
Quote:

Err no. The "understanding" is part of consciousness.

This has nothing to do with Mary's Problem, which confuses cortex/paratiel knowledge and VSC perception, and then attempts to defent this confusion via a fallacy of composition.

Mary’s room only commits this fallicy if one limits Mary's knowledge to one aspect of the brains function. In the thought experiment she will have complete knowledge of the physical workings of all aspects of the brain cortex/paratiel knowledge and VSC perception. This can be on the level of atoms, electrons, molecules, synapses, brain areas, thoughts or what ever level you want. Regardless of which level or even if she combines knowledge of all physical levels something will still be missing. The "what it is like to be" will not be accounted for and hence conciousness will not be accounted for. Our current concept of "physical" will not and can not account for the phenomona of conciousness regardless of what level we look at.

Quote:
You are merely sidestepping the hole in your argument, where you attempted to explain this difference by pointing out that it does not exist when reduced by several orders of magnitude. This is irrelevant and a fallacy of composition. You might as well say that atoms don't exist, only combinations of neutrons and protons orbited by electron clouds, or that these in turn don't exist, only quarks etc ad infinitum.

I don't think the level matters too much.

Quote:
Quote:

We need to understand what it is to understand

This, again, has nothing to do with the thought experiment in question. The fact that we can hitherto not answer the problem of consciousness has no bearing on the fact that the thought experiment in question does not actually prove anything except a naive understanding of reductionism and neuroscience.

I think that this area of philosophy could provide some insights for fruitful or fruitless areas of a scientific understanding of consciousness. To label it as naive is well err rather naive. I think there is a genuine philosophical issue here and I'm certainly not alone in this opinion!

Quote:
Quote:

Despite Mary’s lack of synapses she will still understand exactly what those synapses should be.

So what? That is totally different to actually having synapses. What are you trying to prove?

That she will never be able to account for the phenomena of consciousness no matter how detailed her physical description is.

Quote:
Quote:

She will have a full and complete understanding of exactly which ones should have grown and will be fired when she sees blue.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I said Regardless of how good Mary's understanding of the photonic physiology behind optical processing, as long as she does not possess any neurons relating to the blue-wavelength pathways in the Visual Association Cortex, the difference between understanding and perceiving said wavelength remains pronounced. It is irrelevant that Mary understands (which is to say that Mary's neocortex PTL understands), as long as her VSC does not percieve, it is pointless to discuss matters further.

So you agree that no physical account of consciousness will ever succeed. There will always be something missing.

Quote:
Quote:

Yet her understanding of the phenomena is still incomplete.

BANGS HEAD ON WALL! That's because she does not have any blue wavelength pathways in the VSC!

Indeed and no level of knowledge of them will ever make up for this. Hence she will never understand consciousness fully regardless of how detailed her knowledge of the physical brain actually is. There will always be something missing.

Quote:
Quote:

Despite the fact that she knows exactly what is and will go on in her brain she still does not understand "what it is like to experience" blue.

This is because there is no synaptic link between the PTL, PFC and VSC! (My head hurts). Don't you understand? Understanding the science behind it is represented by neural networks in the PFC, the linguistics behind said understanding in the PTL, but the actual experience to which we are making reference can only exist in the VSC!! Hence, regardless of how good her understanding is, without the synaptogenesis induced by the actual observation of the blue wavelength, she will never know what it is like to see blue! What none of you seem to be able to grasp is that the mere act of understanding will not induce a synaptogenic response in the Visual Association Cortex, it takes the experience to do that!

Indeed but the term "physical" the very meaning of the word, the very concept is not of the Visial Association Cortex (as you put it). The concept of phsyical is an abstract concept that can only exist in the PTL, PFC (as you say). If this is the case any physical explanations, all of science, all of reasoning and abstract mental construction will be forevere limited to this region of the brain and will never be able to explain the VSA experience. But because conscious experience quite clearly is affected in a very big way by what goes on in the VSA any physical description of the over all phenomena is doomed. It will not account for the actual experience.

Quote:
neurophysiology, scientific knowledge of the experience and perception of the experience are, organically, two totally different entities which are handles by parts of the brain which exist on opposite sides of the brain's long axis(this is why a patient with a corpus callosum incision cannot name the color they are observing).

What are you trying to prove?

Nothing, I'm must having a, hopefully, interesting discussion. In answer to your OP question do beliefs exist physically in the Brain. I would say they exist purely in the Brain there is nothing outside the brain that has any baring on them. Moreover I would say that there is no non-physical substances involved (I'm certainly no dualist). But what I am hoping to illustrate, all be it in a rather dyslexic way, that our notion of "physical" may well be too limited to solve the mind/body problem.

look sorry about the strange colours and back grounds. I've been spell checking in word by cut and pasting and its fucking things up for some reason. 

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion wrote: Err

evil religion wrote:

Yes, part of the understanding, but not necessarily required. Also, the understanding is not the same as the perception. All that can be said is that if we have the understanding, then it runs in conjunction with the perception (correct me if I’m wrong deludedgod). For example, if we understand the science behind perceiving colour, and we then perceive a colour, we may recall that understanding of what is taking place. But, if we lack the understanding, we still can perceive the colour.

In short, we can perceive colour without the understanding of what is happening, but we cannot have the understanding on its own and still perceive the experience of colour.

evil religion wrote:
If that description id to be complete then we must be able to gleam from that the "what it is like to be" of that conciouss experiacne otherwise we have not described the phenomona completely.

You still conflating the understanding with the perceiving. Here’s another example: we may understand everything about a heart attack, or a stroke, but that understanding does not entail understanding the experience or the heart attack or stroke, for that experience can only be had by actually having a heart attack/stroke.

evil religion wrote:
Depsite Marys lack of synapses she will still understand exactly what those synapses should be. She will have a full and complet understanding of exactly which ones should have grown and will be fired when she sees blue.

Well, she can understand what takes place in the brain, but this does not entail she knows what the experience of colour is itself. Without the synapses she physically could not have such an experience since the experience would entail the synapses!

Take people who are born blind. They may understand exactly what colour is (i.e. wavelengths), exactly how it works (i.e. sent to the brain via the eye) and what happens in the brain and so on, you can even get them to associate objects to colours (e.g. that grass is green), but they would not have the experience of colour, which is the point being made. It seems that by your argument, a blind person would know what it is like to experience colour just by having knowledge of what takes place in the brain, yet this is clearly wrong.

evil religion wrote:
Yet her undetstanding of the phenomona is still incomplete. Despite the fact that she knows exactly what is and will go on in her brain she still does not understand "what it is like to experiance" blue. He understand is incomplete.

So what?
This is because understanding and perceiving are separate matters. Understanding the science behind colour, how it works, etc and understanding the experience of colour are not the same. The latter necessarily requires the experience. Once you understand this, the problem you are seeing quite conveniently disappears.

evil religion wrote:
In the thought experiment she will have complete knowledge of the physical workings of all aspects of the brain cortex/paratiel knowledge and VSC perception.

Again, knowledge does no entail experience! No amount of knowledge will provide the experience. You seem to have a problem with this point.

evil religion wrote:
deludedgod wrote:
GS HEAD ON WALL! That's because she does not have any blue wavelength pathways in the VSC!

Indeed and no level of knowledge of them will ever make up for this. Hence she will never understand consciousness fully regardless of how detailed her knowledge of the physical brain actually is. There will always be something missing

This is only a problem if you equate understanding with perception.

No one is saying that a physical understanding of mind/consciousness will provide the experience of consciousness.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

look sorry about the strange colours and back grounds. I've been spell checking in word by cut and pasting and its fucking things up for some reason.

Yeah, I get that too. Word fucks up in this site. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the only solution is to manually type in all of the

Quote:

Boxes.

-Me

Books about atheism

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline

Topher wrote:
evil religion wrote:

Yes, part of the understanding, but not necessarily required. Also, the understanding is not the same as the perception. All that can be said is that if we have the understanding, then it runs in conjunction with the perception (correct me if I’m wrong deludedgod). For example, if we understand the science behind perceiving colour, and we then perceive a colour, we may recall that understanding of what is taking place. But, if we lack the understanding, we still can perceive the colour.

In short, we can perceive colour without the understanding of what is happening, but we cannot have the understanding on its own and still perceive the experience of colour.

Indeed and the very concept of "physical" is purely part of understanding it is not part of perception hence the physical explanations will not encompass experiance. Conciousness is by definintion a phenomona of experiance. So can a concept like "physical" explain or encompass it?

Quote:
evil religion wrote:
If that description id to be complete then we must be able to gleam from that the "what it is like to be" of that conciouss experiacne otherwise we have not described the phenomona completely.

You still conflating the understanding with the perceiving. Here’s another example: we may understand everything about a heart attack, or a stroke, but that understanding does not entail understanding the experience or the heart attack or stroke, for that experience can only be had by actually having a heart attack/stroke.

Exactly. Understanding will never account for the experiance. But experiance is what the phenomona of conciousness is. When trying to describe conciousness we are trying to explain experiance with understanding. This is exactly where all to problems come from. 

What use is it to explain "fear" by a physical description? We will never actually fully explain the phenomona, it is an experiance and, as you point out, will be beyond understanding with concepts like physical. Concepts that exist in a sperate part of the brain.

This lead, I think, to a position of neutral monism. Namely that there is an underlying substance to the universe but that concepts like "physical" and "mental" are merely two different ways to describe an underlying reality.

Physical seems, at first, to be entirely objective. It seems to describe the underlying reality of the universe. But after some reflection I'm not sure that this is entirely the case. Certainly the concept of "physical" is very very useful and it certain must correlate strongly with underlying reality but it is, I think, incomplete and approximation if you like.

Think about it for a momment. What properties does a physical object have? How about

Hardness? Colour? Weight?

Well not necessarily it kind of depends on what levle we look at. At the sub atomic level a the colour of an object is meaningless. As is its hardness. Its weight also is meaningless in certain circumnstances.

How about position? Mommentum? Spin?

Well again at the qauntum level particles have no position or mommentum or spin. They have a wave function that will describe the probability of them having a position when we look, but only when we look. Prior to the observation event the particle simply has no position. The property of position is meaningless at this level.

Our concept of physical is, it seems, an arbitary way of compartmentalising reality. It depends on what level we look at as to how that concpt is applied. We have, throughout the history of science, changed and adapted what the term "physical" means. Maxwells electro magnetic waves are a good example, the virtual particles of modern physics are another and the probabilty waves of quantum mechanics are another. 

All this, to me, indicates that the term and concept "physical" is not fundamental. Rather it is a useful way of compartmentalising the underlying reality in much the same way as the concept "mental" is. As the discusion about shows, I think, trying the explain one compartmentalisation in terms of another is impossible. Explaining concious experiance in terms of phsycial understanding is impossible.

So do desires, emotions and other concious experiances exist physically in the brain? No they do not becasue the term physical is simply the worng type of compartmentalisation of reality to explain these phenomona. But they certainly do reside entirely in the brain in the underlying "stuff" that makes up the brain. 

Hope this all makes sense. I'm actually just coming round to this way of thinking from a position similar to yours which I guess is substantial monism or physicalism.

I'm still not 100% convinced by my own arguments presented above BTW. That the beauty of philosophy though one gets to change ones mind. Its the activity rather than the actual results that are stimulating in my opinion.

deludedgod
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, in physics there

Actually, in physics there is a fundamental property of all physical entities...information. All physical entities give off information, whether this be positional (transitional, vibrational, rotational), energetic (photonic) etc . Basic quantum physics dictates this, and it is the existence of information which collapses the wavefunction into a final state of reality. All physical entities emit information regarding their existence in the universe relative to anything else, via its movement, vibration and reflection of electromagnetic radiation and waves. The EM waves in turn, are also physical since they carry information themselves. If we could actually violate the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle and third law of thermodynamics and completely stop a particle so it was at 0K, with no motion and no reflection whatsoever, according to quantum theory, it would disappear, simply pop out of physical existence.

A side effect of this is that a no thermodynamics system of information may be isolated (this is why a fully closed system is an impossible idea). Think of Schrodinger's cat in the box. According to information physics, the cat will decay into an absolute state since it is impossible to isolate the cat as a system of information. Even a single air molecule escaping the box would break the wavefunction.

This is the standard and accepted definition of physicality in quantum physics, any entity which emits information.

-Me

Books about atheism

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Actually, in physics there is a fundamental property of all physical entities...information. All physical entities give off information, whether this be positional (transitional, vibrational, rotational), energetic (photonic) etc . Basic quantum physics dictates this, and it is the existence of information which collapses the wavefunction into a final state of reality. All physical entities emit information regarding their existence in the universe relative to anything else, via its movement, vibration and reflection of electromagnetic radiation and waves. The EM waves in turn, are also physical since they carry information themselves. If we could actually violate the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle and third law of thermodynamics and completely stop a particle so it was at 0K, with no motion and no reflection whatsoever, according to quantum theory, it would disappear, simply pop out of physical existence.

A side effect of this is that a no thermodynamics system of information may be isolated (this is why a fully closed system is an impossible idea). Think of Schrodinger's cat in the box. According to information physics, the cat will decay into an absolute state since it is impossible to isolate the cat as a system of information. Even a single air molecule escaping the box would break the wavefunction.

This is the standard and accepted definition of physicality in quantum physics, any entity which emits information.

Is it? I never was taught that when I studied physics at university. I may be out of touch as its over 10 year since I graduated but information emission as definition of physicality is not, as far as I'm aware, a standard and accepted defintion of what physical is. I could be wrong if so I would appreciate and articles on the matter as its an interesting idea.

But information itself I think is part of our compartmentalisation process rather than being fundamentaly intrinsic. Information could be thought of as "that which distinguished one object from another" that which makes it different. This will depend very much on how we choose to compartmentalise the world I think.

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:

Indeed and the very concept of "physical" is purely part of understanding it is not part of perception hence the physical explanations will not encompass experiance. Conciousness is by definintion a phenomona of experiance. So can a concept like "physical" explain or encompass it?

To use the fear example, fear is what you experience or perceive when the amygdala is stimulated, which in turn triggers the autonomic nervous system, just the same as blue being the color you perceive when the optic nerve sends the signal to the proper cone receptors which in turn stimulate the visual cortex.  

It's all material, people. ALL OF IT. 

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
kellym78 wrote:

kellym78 wrote:
evil religion wrote:

To use the fear example, fear is what you experience or perceive when the amygdala is stimulated, which in turn triggers the autonomic nervous system, just the same as blue being the color you perceive when the optic nerve sends the signal to the proper cone receptors which in turn stimulate the visual cortex.

It's all material, people. ALL OF IT.

I agree its all material from one perspective. I only think that there is one substance to the universe. The position I'm advocating here is one of neurtal monism. But our concept of physical (material) is inadequate to describe all phenomona. It does not describe the objective underlying substance of the universe, it certainly gets very close and certainly is a pretty accurate analogy but it is not complete.

So my position is that there is a single "substance" ("stuff" is actually a better word) to the universe. This stuff is ordered and follows rules of interaction. Our concept of "physical" is one very good way of compartmentalising the universe and working out this order. We must follow the process of comparmentalisation other wise we would have to consider the entire interconnected universe when looking for the patterns in the simplest local phenomona. This would simply be impossible for our brains to do and, from a Darwinian perspective, a unecessary waste of brain power.

The notion of "an object" is also part of this physical description. But the very notions of "physical" and "object" are not fundamental properties of the universe they are human (and probably intelligent alien as well) constructs. Similarly we compartmentalise the universe in another very different way into experiances or mental "objects" (for want of a better phrase). As has been discussed these two processes of compartmentalisation happen in different areas of the brain. Trying to fully explain one type of comparmnetalisation in terms of another (i.e. mental in terms of physical) is where all the problems stem from, In fact I would say it is impossible to do this.

The mental constructs we create, the mental objects such as desire, beliefs, fear, hatred etc are all experiances. To understand them we must have felt them. We must remember the "what it is like to be". This is essentially a process of introspection. The brain is analysing the brain. This introspective loop is at the very heart of conciousness and this is, I think, what Douglas Hofsdater is going on about in "Godel Escher Bach" and "I am a Strange Loop". There is definitly a process of self referrence going on and it certainly has a pungent wiff of Godels Incompleteness Theorum about it.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:
deludedgod wrote:

Is it? I never was taught that when I studied physics at university. I may be out of touch as its over 10 year since I graduated but information emission as definition of physicality is not, as far as I'm aware, a standard and accepted defintion of what physical is. I could be wrong if so I would appreciate and articles on the matter as its an interesting idea.

But information itself I think is part of our compartmentalisation process rather than being fundamentaly intrinsic. Information could be thought of as "that which distinguished one object from another" that which makes it different. This will depend very much on how we choose to compartmentalise the world I think.

Actually pondering this matter further perhaps information is the underlying structure of the universe. This is perhaps the underlying structure or "substance" of everything. This structure is the source of our "physical" comparmnetalisation and "mental" compartmentalisation. Quantum physics supports this I think. Describing a wave function in physical terms is highly problematic. It really can only be described mathematically. Perhaps information is the one underlying structure in neutral monism.

hmmmm interesting.

Russell puts it far better than me.

http://philosophy.uwaterloo.ca/MindDict/neutralmonism.html 

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:
Understanding will never account for the experiance.

No one is actually saying that understanding what the brain does will provide the experience in the first place.

We are simply saying that we can, to some degree, explain how the brain provides the mental functions, but we are not saying this explanation alone gives us an experience. The experience can, well, only be experienced, but this does not negate the fact that we can explain how and where experience originates from in the brain.

Mental experiences cannot be provided by anything. While we may be able to explain how something happens, you still need a brain of sufficient complexity to process the data into what we conceive as a mental output. Simply having the understanding, devoid of a brain sufficient enough to process the ‘data’ won't provide the experience.

As an aside, I hold that while mental states are ultimately brain states, the mental states are merely abstract representations of these brain states, which I think have a use in our inter-personal context.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote: As an aside,

topher wrote:
As an aside, I hold that while mental states are ultimately brain states, the mental states are merely abstract representations of these brain states, which I think have a use in our inter-personal context.

What are examples of abstract representations?  Would preference be an abstract representation?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:
deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Err no.  

Err, Yes. He's nailed you on a very clear fallacy of composition.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod

deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, I get that too. Word fucks up in this site. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the only solution is to manually type in all of the

If you compose in word so you have the benefit of spellcheck all you have to is copy from word to a plain text editor like wordpad, then copy from there to the site. This will remove the formatting that is added by word and will make your posts look 'normal'.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Topher wrote:

[mod edit:double post]

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: evil

todangst wrote:
evil religion wrote:
deludedgod wrote:

Quote:

Err no.

Err, Yes. He's nailed you on a very clear fallacy of composition.

I think this stems from a misunderstanding of the point I was making. Its my fault, I'm the first to admit that I'm not the best person in the world at expressing myself in the written form.  

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

Topher wrote:

evil religion wrote:
Understanding will never account for the experiance.

No one is actually saying that understanding what the brain does will provide the experience in the first place.

Ok good. So given that beliefs and desires and emotions are experiances and given that the concept of "physical" (in this context) is "what the brian does" how can we say that experiances exist physically in the brain? The concept of physical will not cut it when it comes to explaining or describing mental events.

Quote:
We are simply saying that we can, to some degree, explain how the brain provides the mental functions, but we are not saying this explanation alone gives us an experience. The experience can, well, only be experienced, but this does not negate the fact that we can explain how and where experience originates from in the brain.

Ok. But the experiance is exactly what we are trying to describe and encapsulate. Emotions, beliefs, memories ARE experiances that is what they are. The concept of physical can not hope to encompass them so it is, in my opinion, meaningless to say that beliefs exist physically within the brain. Its like asking if a proton is red or blue.

Quote:
Mental experiences cannot be provided by anything. While we may be able to explain how something happens, you still need a brain of sufficient complexity to process the data into what we conceive as a mental output. Simply having the understanding, devoid of a brain sufficient enough to process the ‘data’ won't provide the experience.

Indeed.

Quote:

Indeed. I agree brain state generate and are fully responsible for mental states. But this is different from saying that they are physical states because this implies that "physical" is a complete description of the underlying "stuff" that makes up the brain. It is my contention that "physical" is simply a convienient way of compartmentalising the universe and is an approximation to the ultimate reality. Its a very very uselful, convientient and good approximation but it is still not complete.

So to sum up.

There exists an underlying structure and order to the universe. It is made up of "stuff" (there isn't really a better word). The state of that stuff and how it interacts with other stuff will determine what events occur in the world. This is true for the state of the brain. The brain state will generate certain events. These events can be conceptualised as emotion, beliefs or desires (mental events or objects). They can also be conceptulised as neurons fireing, atoms moving etc (physical events or objects). But it is erronious to try to use one set of concepts to describe another. Clearly the two conceptualisations share a single source and clearly there will be a correlation between phsyical events and mental events (i.g. these neurons fire and we feel fear) but it is still wrong to say that "beliefs" exist physically in the brain as we are mixing two conceptulaisations of a single source thing.

Its like wave partical duality I think. An electron can be described as a wave or a particle. But trying to describe its wave properties in terms of its particle properties can not be done. The wave and particle descriptions of the electron share a single source, and underlying structure but this is neither wave or particle it is a mathematical abstraction.

Does this make sense or am I talking out of my arse?

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
JBollocks I hit quote

JBollocks I hit quote instead of edit...... please read the second post above and now I can't change the first post (mod please delete the first of my nearly identical double posts) they are mostly the same but I have modified and clarified a couple of points.

Darth Redding
User is offlineOffline
forgive me if this has been

forgive me if this has been covered, and i do mean this as an honest question, but if every action, ever "abstract" thought every feeling, intuitive deduction, everything that makes you a human, and a mammal is based from chemical reaction that cause the feeling, or choice, or emotion, where is the freedom?
perhaps it shouldn't be brought up in this context but i have heard so many denounce religions for a lack of freedom i thought it merited mention.

As you are, I was. As I am, you will be.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
 deludedgod, Do you know

deludedgod,

Do you know whether:

a) A brain state and a corresponding mental state is just a correlation. Or is there are more direct physical link as I believe there is.

b) As I understand it, a section of the brain can become damaged, but the mental function produced by the part of the brain can still work via another part of the brain taking over. Is this common with brain injuries? How does this effect a reductive physicalist view? To me it doesn't mean they are not physical however it does seem to suggest that certain functions are not necessarily tied to a specific part of the brain.

Thanks.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote: What

illeatyourdog wrote:
What are examples of abstract representations?  Would preference be an abstract representation?

Well the classic example is love. Love is a brain state, neurons firing and chemical reactions. However, we tend to view the mental state of love as a non-physical/intangible force or concept. In the inter-personal/social context we don’t refer to love as a brain state, chemicals and neurons, instead we remove all the ‘irrelevant’ information (irrelevant for this context).

evil religion wrote:
Ok good. So given that beliefs and desires and emotions are experiances and given that the concept of "physical" (in this context) is "what the brian does" how can we say that experiances exist physically in the brain? The concept of physical will not cut it when it comes to explaining or describing mental events.

Well they exist in the brain as neurons, synapses, cells, chemicals and whatever else plays a role in their functioning. When we experience an emotion physical changes take place in the brain. This is how they exist in the brain.

evil religion wrote:
Indeed. I agree brain state generate and are fully responsible  for mental states. But this is different from saying that they are physical states because this implies that "physical" is a complete description of the underlying "stuff" that makes up the brain. It is my contention that "physical" is simply a convienient way of compartmentalising the universe and is an approximation to the ultimate reality. Its a very very uselful, convientient and good approximation but it is still not complete.

Well I think mental states are just abstractions of the brain states. It’s how we convey the scientific descriptions of, say, an emotion, into everyday activity via language. The mental states tend to act as a means of communication rather than detailed explanation. So when someone ways they’re angry they are not saying “the chemicals reactions in the brain are making me angry” (even though this is what is causing the experience of anger), rather they are communicating to someone their views of a given situation. So the mental state is ultimately an indirect description of a brain state.

To sum up what I’m getting at: We have two have two means (scientific/non-scientific or direct/indirect) of describing the same thing (physical brain states).

Here’s an interesting article you might like: 10 Unsolved Mysteries of the Brain

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote: Well the

topher wrote:
Well the classic example is love. Love is a brain state, neurons firing and chemical reactions. However, we tend to view the mental state of love as a non-physical/intangible force or concept. In the inter-personal/social context we don’t refer to love as a brain state, chemicals and neurons, instead we remove all the ‘irrelevant’ information (irrelevant for this context).

Are you sure you are talking about love?  You could simply be talking about attraction or a biological bond between mother and child.  What exactly is the definition of "love" in the context you are using?  Presuming experiments were conducted to test this, how were they performed?

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

topher wrote:

Are you sure you are talking about love? You could simply be talking about attraction or a biological bond between mother and child. What exactly is the definition of "love" in the context you are using? Presuming experiments were conducted to test this, how were they performed?

I’m not too sure what you’re asking here. We know love is a brain state. While there are different contexts of love (i.e. beginning stage of a relationship, long-term relationship, mother/child, etc) these contexts are irrelevant to my point – that love is ultimately a brain state. Here’s some info on this:

”In 2005, Italian scientists at Pavia University found that a protein molecule known as the nerve growth factor (NGF) has high levels when people first fall in love, but these levels return to as they were after one year. Specifically, four neurotrophin levels, i.e. NGF, BDNF, NT-3, and NT-4, of 58 subjects who had recently fallen in love were compared with levels in a control group who were either single or already engaged in a long-term relationship. The results showed that NGF levels were significantly higher in the subjects in love than as compared to either of the control groups.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love

and:

“Recent studies in neuroscience have indicated that a consistent number of chemicals are present in the brain when people testify to feeling love. These chemicals include; Testosterone, Oestrogen, Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Vasopressin. More specifically, higher levels of Testosterone and Oestrogen are present during the lustful phase of a relationship. Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Serotonin are more commonly found during the attraction phase of a relationship. Oxytocin, and Vasopressin seemed to be more closely linked to long term bonding and relationships characterized by strong attachments.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_%28scientific_views%29

So what I am saying is the mental concept of love nothing more then an abstract explanation of this brain state.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote: I’m not

topher wrote:
I’m not too sure what you’re asking here. We know love is a brain state. While there are different contexts of love (i.e. beginning stage of a relationship, long-term relationship, mother/child, etc) these contexts are irrelevant to my point – that love is ultimately a brain state.

I would say they are very relevant.  The article first quote only referred to, for lack of better term, romantic love.  So, presuming I would accept the testing method as actually testing love, at best you have shown romantic love is a brain state.  The second quote simply referred to people who "testify" to feeling love.  As you know, "testifying" to something does not mean it actually occurred or happened.  People testify to being visited by Jesus, God, Zues, Ghosts, aliens, among other supernatural or otherwordly things but you do not automatically assume that they were vistsied by God, for example do you?  So why does love get a pass?  People who testify to feeling love could have just felt a strong attraction, their own biological need to mate, among an indefinite amount of other possibilities that are not neccessarily love.  How exactly do you test to make sure they are feeling love?  If such a test is impossible, I suggest you stop using the word love becuase the odds are the people testifying to love aren't feeling it.  Furthermore, this is still just romantic love.  It seems to me that it would be poor science to apply these findings of love to the love of a child to its mother, the love of two siblings, or even for one's love of abstract ideas such as art. 

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

topher wrote:
I’m not too sure what you’re asking here. We know love is a brain state. While there are different contexts of love (i.e. beginning stage of a relationship, long-term relationship, mother/child, etc) these contexts are irrelevant to my point – that love is ultimately a brain state.

I would say they are very relevant. The article first quote only referred to, for lack of better term, romantic love. So, presuming I would accept the testing method as actually testing love, at best you have shown romantic love is a brain state. The second quote simply referred to people who "testify" to feeling love. As you know, "testifying" to something does not mean it actually occurred or happened. People testify to being visited by Jesus, God, Zues, Ghosts, aliens, among other supernatural or otherwordly things but you do not automatically assume that they were vistsied by God, for example do you? So why does love get a pass? People who testify to feeling love could have just felt a strong attraction, their own biological need to mate, among an indefinite amount of other possibilities that are not neccessarily love. How exactly do you test to make sure they are feeling love? If such a test is impossible, I suggest you stop using the word love becuase the odds are the people testifying to love aren't feeling it. Furthermore, this is still just romantic love. It seems to me that it would be poor science to apply these findings of love to the love of a child to its mother, the love of two siblings, or even for one's love of abstract ideas such as art.

The point being made is they are all brain states. That’s it.

As for testifying to being in love… the research shows that those who testified to being in love actually had different chemical reactions in the brain compared to those who were not in love.  So they are not just claiming to being in love. Scientists know what happens in the brain when we are in love, the type of chemicals that are released, etc.

To repeat my point again: yes, there are various types of love, such as the love a parent has for their child, and the love two adults in a relationship have for each other, etc. But both are brain states.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote: The point

topher wrote:

They have tested all the possible forms of love and discoevered they all have physical roots in the brain? 

Quote:
As for testifying to being in love… the research shows that those who testified to being in love actually had different chemical reactions in the brain compared to those who were not in love.

Again, when someone testifies to have been visited by God, I'm pretty sure their brain state is different from one who claims to not have been visited by God.  Furthermore, when someone makes a claim about God, we do not simply assume God visited them, we ask for evidence or some sort of explanation of how they know they were in fact visited by God to determine if they actually were.  Were the same inquireies conducted on the ones testifying to being in love?  If so, what were their reasonings for belevieng they were actually in love?  How did the scientists determine which story to accept as a true feeling of love and which to bypass as a mistaken interpretation? 

Quote:
So they are not just claiming to being in love.

Niether are people who attest that they were abducted by aliens and probed anally but we have no problem dismissing those claims as bunk unless they have some hard evidence to suggest otherwise.  What evidence counts as evidence for love?  A twinkle in the eye?  A more hippity step?  WHen they see the one they are in love with they hug and kiss? 

[quoteScientists know what happens in the brain when we are in love, the type of chemicals that are released, etc.

Based on what you have shown me, scientists know what happens in the brain when individuals beleive a certain premise about themselves.  They do not know what happens when we are in love since you have not presented me with any case study or experiment to determine which of the testifyers are in love and which ones aren't or how to test if this higher concentration of specific proteins is not simply do to some other form of emotional attachment or abstraction in the initiation of relationships.  All you have is "These indiviuduals testified to being in love" or "when these individuals first got together their brain patterns were as such and such".  Were the ones testifying to being in love also in the beginning stages or have they been in love for awhile now?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

topher wrote:

They have tested all the possible forms of love and discoevered they all have physical roots in the brain?

Sounds like an argument from ignorance to me.

You can't point to the possibility of yet undiscovered states as current evidence that love isn't a brain state. You can only point to uncertainty as a reason to hold to the claim tenatively.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Sounds like

todangst wrote:

Or it could be a simple question.  But what do I know.  Im just the one who ASKED it.

Quote:
You can't point to the possibility of yet undiscovered states as current evidence that love isn't a brain state. You can only point to uncertainty as a reason to hold to the claim tenatively.

I made no claim about love.  Topher did.  All I am pointing out is that his certainty might be in misplaced assumptions about love.  All he has provided in terms of scientists trying to distinguish love from non love is people claiming to be in love which shouyld be suspect unless we are to assume that these individuals have absolute knowledge of their emotions (or brain states) and how to interpret them (of course if they did, would they really say they are in love?).  The other case he provided simply assumed that when two people meet they are in love, as evidenced by the protien count, and that it subsides.  To put it another way, I am sure a rhino's brain state is different when it wants to mate with a female rhino.  However, would one attribute this brain state change to it being in love? 

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline

Topher wrote:

evil religion wrote:

Well they exist in the brain as neurons, synapses, cells, chemicals and whatever else plays a role in their functioning. When we experience an emotion physical changes take place in the brain. This is how they exist in the brain.

evil religion wrote:
Indeed. I agree brain state generate and are fully responsible  for mental states. But this is different from saying that they are physical states because this implies that "physical" is a complete description of the underlying "stuff" that makes up the brain. It is my contention that "physical" is simply a convienient way of compartmentalising the universe and is an approximation to the ultimate reality. Its a very very uselful, convientient and good approximation but it is still not complete.

Well I think mental states are just abstractions of the brain states.

Indeed I agree. Mental states are an abstraction of brain state. But I also contend that a phsyical description is also an abstaction of brain state. The underlying "stuff" of the universe is not described totally by our concept of physical.  

Quote:
It’s how we convey the scientific descriptions of, say, an emotion, into everyday activity via language.

Indeed. The abstaction "physcial" is the basis of all science. 

Quote:
The mental states tend to act as a means of communication rather than detailed explanation. So when someone ways they’re angry they are not saying “the chemicals reactions in the brain are making me angry” (even though this is what is causing the experience of anger), rather they are communicating to someone their views of a given situation. So the mental state is ultimately an indirect description of a brain state.

I agree. But consider that the same may be true of our physical description. Really the question is does our cocnept of physical actually describe reality fully? Now it clearly is a pretty accurate description but is IT actually exactly how the world is? Or is it an abstaction like "mental"?

Quote:
To sum up what I’m getting at: We have two have two means (scientific/non-scientific or direct/indirect) of describing the same thing (physical brain states).

To re-iterate. I'm saying we have two indirect ways of describing the same underlying thing. Mental is one way physical is another way. Neither are "true" or complete descriptions of reality they are both abstractions.

Quote:
Here’s an interesting article you might like: 10 Unsolved Mysteries of the Brain

I shall give it read thank you.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
evil religion

evil religion wrote:
Indeed I agree. Mental states are an abstraction of brain state. But I also contend that a phsyical description is also an abstaction of brain state.
….
To re-iterate. I'm saying we have two indirect ways of describing the same underlying thing. Mental is one way physical is another way. Neither are "true" or complete descriptions of reality they are both abstractions.

The physical description is the brain state itself, i.e. neurons physically firing, chemicals physically discharging, etc. The physical state is fundamentally matter/energy.

Materialism is the view that only matter and energy can be truly be said to exist. So when we talk of reality at the fundamental level, we can only talk of physicality, matter and energy.

Topher
Topher's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog wrote:

illeatyourdog wrote:
Again, when someone testifies to have been visited by God, I'm pretty sure their brain state is different from one who claims to not have been visited by God.

Sure, their brain state will change. But were not comparing supernatural with natural here are we.

illeatyourdog wrote:
How did the scientists determine which story to accept as a true feeling of love and which to bypass as a mistaken interpretation?

Well I don’t know all about the various research that has been done, however your point is irrelevant. What are you even talking about!? Mistaken interpretation?

Person 1 is in love and their brain state contains the chemicals associated with love. Person 2 is also in love, and they too have the same release of chemicals, and so on. Now, if someone claimed to be in love, but did not contain these chemicals, then we can suggest that they are not in love.

Is this so hard to comprehend?

illeatyourdog wrote:
All I am pointing out is that his certainty might be in misplaced assumptions about love.

Who is saying I am certain. I am simply going by the evidence. And even if we do not know everything about the mind, it is likely that what we don’t know will too be tied to the brain.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:

todangst wrote:

Or it could be a simple question. But what do I know. Im just the one who ASKED it.

Don't bullshit the board!

Your 'question' implies a clear argument:

It's clearly more than just a 'question'. You're making an argument from ignorance.

Quote:

Quote:

I made no claim about love. Topher did. All I am pointing out is that his certainty might be in misplaced assumptions about love.

Thanks for admitting the truth and refuting yourself. You admit that your question did imply a point, a point that is an argument from ignorance.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
topher wrote:Sure, their

topher wrote:
Sure, their brain state will change. But were not comparing supernatural with natural here are we.

So not what I was getting at. I am referring to claim validity by the subjects.  Essentially, this is what I am getting from what you have said so far "When a subject talks about claim G, we know its bunk.  When a subject talks about claim L they know what they are talking about and should accept it withou question."   

Quote:
Well I don’t know all about the various research that has been done, however your point is irrelevant. What are you even talking about!? Mistaken interpretation?

Ok.  Lets suppose Darwin never specified what he meant by "species" and just emphasized that "it doesn't matter what a species is, the point is species change over time".  And then he finally gives you an experiment which "Proves" species change by describing what happens when a caterpillar changes into a butterfly.  Clearly his observation is accurate insofar as a caterpillar does change into a butterfly, but it hardly proves that species have changed over time because, in this case, by a species changing, he simply meant the single individual animal changing from its larval stage to its mature insect stage.  Clearly interpretation of what a species change is is way off which led to a false conclusion from accurate physical data.  Furthermore, lets say when you ask him why he had such a miscontrued idea of species and he said "Well, Mr. Wallace testified that my understanding of species was correct" you would question his entire hypothesis since the way he went about it was all wrong despite the obeservation being accurate.  Do you still want to say that questioning what one means by a certain word is irrelevant?  Or are you still confused by what I mean by mistaken interpretation?        

Quote:
Who is saying I am certain. I am simply going by the evidence. And even if we do not know everything about the mind, it is likely that what we don’t know will too be tied to the brain.

Wow let me put that in a different context to let you know how that sounds.  "Even if we do not know everything about God, it is likely that what we don't know can be tied to God".  This might seem like a cheap shot but even you have to admit that to make such a grand claim about what we do not know is more faith based than evidence based.