Explain the rationality of aethism

Gouda
User is offlineOffline
Explain the rationality of aethism

I'll give the moderators the benefit of the doubt and assume my last post was deleted because it was in the improper forum. For that I apologize, let's try again.

Aethism is not a religion, but it revolves around the same key principle that religions do: faith. What is faith? Faith is stating something as truth without proof. In order for something to be considered a fact, or true, it must stand up to testing. If it could be proven that there is a higher power of some sort, then no one in their right mind would deny it. There may be small groups of people that actively work against said higher power, though it would be rare. That is why faith was "invented".

Religion stems from the fear of death. It's the oldest and strongest fear there is, the fear of nonexistence. Religion, and the promise of an afterlife had huge appeal. Follow these rules, have this faith, and you will have life after death. But faith is a problem for many.

And now we come upon aethism, the belief that there is no higher power. Yet what I find amusing is that these people possess just as much faith in their beliefs as any devoutly religious person. You can no more prove there is no higher power than the theists can prove there is a higher power. After all, if you could prove it, why would there be any religion at all? Yet you still believe it. That is faith. One thing you must keep in mind is that indirect proof and conjecture proves nothing. Just because the existence of a higher power cannot be proven does not necessarily mean that the opposite is true. Religious texts prove nothing, they were written by man. Circular arguments are the worst, however. "God doesn't exist because he hasn't shown he does." Oh please, go take Logic 101.

If you are truly logical, rather, rational, you would see that the correct answer for religion is, "I don't know." I cannot prove nor disprove the existence of a higher power, try as I might. So my conclusion is that I simply do not know. I'm convinced that all these stunts put on by the RRS and aethists in general are simply for attention and to get under the skin of theists. One thing may aetheists find bothersome about religions is their need to "spread the word", right? You're sick of being handed a pocket bible and having people knock on your door preaching salvation. Believe me, I am too. However, it's rather childish to do the same thing, don't you think? But hey, anything for the faith.

Become a philosopher, a follower of logic. I think that aetheists are actually one step closer to this than theists are, but you need to let go of that faith. It's unfortunate that I don't think I'd be able to convince the leadership of the RRS to change their name to something more fitting. Something illogical.

Discussion is, of course, welcome. Happy thinking.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I beg your pardon? The mods

I beg your pardon? The mods did not delete your post. They moved it out of the forum into a new one. It is still there, so I would ask you kindly not to double post when your first (and identical post) is perfectly intact.

Here it is:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/9504

And by the way.

It is spelled atheist.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
In order not to have

In order not to have duplicate posts in multiple forums this thread will be locked, please refer to your original post for which Deludedgod has given the link.