wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: Todangst: I

Textom wrote:

Todangst: I like the fallacies page. Good examples, great pictures. Bookmarked it.

Thanks!

Quote:

A glance at your rhetoric page, though, makes me realize one place where we've been disconnecting. Defining rhetoric as "an appeal to emotions" is like defining philosophy as "how to make syllogisms."

Ok, I've never really studied the subject, save for a class in Environmental Sociology, where about all we did was discuss how problems were socially constructed for 16 weeks.

How else would you define it then?

Quote:

Rhetoric is one of the seven classical liberal arts, right up there with Grammar and Logic. The seminal work in the field of rhetoric is Aristotle's "Ars Rhetorica," in which he defines rhetoric as the study of the modes of persuasion. Aristotle and other legitimate rhetoricians of his time are very clearly *against* the emotional appeal of the sophists. Although Aristotle classifies the appeal to emotion as a type of mode of persuasion (he classified everything), he fills the book with reminders like, "It is not right to pervert the judge by moving him to anger or envy or pity -- one might as well warp a carpenter's rule before using it." Although Aristotle drew a distinction between rhetoric and dialectic (he loved his distinctions), in modern usage the term "rhetoric" has been conflated to refer to both.

So are you saying that rhetoric includes Socratic irony? If so, I'd simply say that we can safely remove Socratic irony from under the heading of rhetoric and restore it to the Logic section, so that we can find out what makes rhetoric, rhetoric.

Quote:

Rhetoric is concerned with logic insofar as logic is used as a means for persuading and for evaluating arguments.

I am not quite sure how you are delineating emotional persuasion from logic then.... I am aware of rhetorical appeals that use logic, but... if we are to understad what 'rhetoric' itself is, we must isolate what it is alone.

Quote:

We use the same argumentation theory and informal fallacy terminology used in philosophy, but stick mostly to informal logic (twenty years ago I learned propositional calculus, but I couldn't do it now).

Well then, if you are using 'argumentation theory' and informal fallacy terminology, then you are using logic, aren't you? What exactly is the 'rhetoric' part of rhetoric, if not persuasion?

It seem to me that you are saying that rhetoric need not merely be emotional appeal, that it may be combined with logic. Fine. But logic already is a branch on it own, I want to know what exactly is the left over in 'rhetoric' that makes for a separate branch of thought.

Quote:

Rhetoric in the 20th century, as I mentioned before, is deeply intertwined with deconstructionist and structuralist theories of discourse: Derrida, Saussure, Levi-Strauss, Barthes, Lacan. Individual rhetoricians also range off into linguistics, philosophy, literary theory, Marxism. My own work lies mainly in areas associated with anthropology and cultural studies.

Again, it sounds like you are explaining to me what a bowl of cheerios is by telling me that you can put milk, bananas, strawberries in the bowl with it.... I'm sure rhetoricians can use any tool they like, but what is the core of rhetoric that makes rhetoric, rhetoric? What makes a person decide to call themselves, or numbe themselves within the class of rhetoricians?

Quote:

It's a fundamental premise of the post-modern theorists that meaning is socially constructed.

Tangent time: I'd agree that meaning is partly socially constructed. If I throw an object at you, you frown and duck and call me enemy, but if you think the object is a baseball, you smile and catch it and call me buddy. But the fact that an object is careening your way is a matter of physics and not inter-subjective.

I'd also say that the basic elements of post modernism were already known prior to the existence of post modernism. I find people like Nietzsche and  modernists like William James, Hans Vaihinger, were already saying these things... then again, post modernists can also call themselves pragmatists...

Quote:

There is no necessary relationship between the parts of a sign.

Save for those matters of unavoidable reality that do make some elements necessary. Interpret the object all you like, you must still react to it. I think you agree, but I also think that post modernists tend to underscore how much of the situation is objective.

Quote:

This insight is considered useless by some, but it fits right in with the Aristotelian tradition that the rhetorician must:

Quote:
be able to employ persuasion, just as strict reasoning can be employed, on opposite sides of a question, not in order that we may in practice employ it in both ways (for we must not make people believe what is wrong), but in order that we may see clearly what the facts are, and that, if another man argues unfairly, we on our part may be able to confute him. No other of the arts draws opposite conclusions: dialectic and rhetoric alone do this. Both these arts draw opposite conclusions impartially.

Or at least as impartially as our own embedding within our ideologies allows.

It really seems to me that the aspect of rhetoric that cannot also be called something else (logic, Socratic irony, etc) is emotional persuasion. What I read is that you are just telling me that a person who identifies as a rhetorician need not simply rely on rhetoric...  

Quote:

So from my point of view, analytic philosophy/materialism is a socially constructed system of meaning. Christian theism is also a socially constructed system of meaning.

And a psychotic's worldview is socially constructed too.

One of my many problems with post modernism is that this sort of claim leads to the erroneous conclusion that they are equitable, because they are both 'socially constructed'

But such a claim is a non sequitur, because 1) certain presumptions are better than others (I don't buy that there aren't  cross paradigmatic elements) and 2) neither system is entirely socially constructed, there is more than just inter-subjectivity here, there is also objective reality. I think post modernists outside the Richard Rorty wing (RIP) accept this, do you?

Quote:

From a rhetorical perspective, it appears that Christian theism is doing a better job of persuading its intended audience of the validity of its meanings.

It's easier to feel, than to think. I dont mean this as an attack on christians, I point it in all directions, every position has numbers of adherents driven more by passion than by reason.

Let me turn to the concepts of William James on this matter: we don't reason our ways to a position, we hold to a position and then employ reason, under the dictates of desire, to quell cognitive dissonance. (James' hard hearted and soft hearted types)

Because desire precedes reason, and because our goal is often to quell dissonance, one need not even come up with good rationales... one can simply ignore facts, remain ignorant.

Let me be an elitist here and say that the mass of people will never move beyond this stage.

You know, I just realized that I was reading Schopenhauer two weeks ago, and what I've just said is all ripped from The World as Will and Representation! No wonder it sounds so elitist! And during my reading of his work, my thoughts were: if it is true that passions employ reason, and not the other way around, then doesnt' this mar your own work, Herr Schopenhauer?

My point here is that I believe that in order to deal with this problem, one must first learn the nature of the relationship between emotions and reason, and then learn to find ways to free reason from the grasp of emotion. Which is precisely why I look down on rhetoric and precisely why I feel most people cannot be reached: coz they don't want to be reached, and yet, to change this, you must reach them.

Quote:

I'm most interested in figuring out why, and in trying to think of ways that materialism can be more persuasive.

The world needs more optimists.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote: todangst

Strafio wrote:
todangst wrote:
As for rhetoric, its a tool for persuasion based not on logic, but on emotions. I'm not sure why emotions would be a better tool than logic, nor do I see how emotions can get you to 'god' seeing as emotions are merely an expression of a desire.
I disagree with this. Like Textom said, rhetoric doesn't necessarily appeal to emotions. Often it appeals to the intuition, the undermind. It's our subconscious way of dealing with the world.

Ok this answer is more clear for me. But what exactly are we calling intuition? I see intution as a part of reason, intution is an understanding of a situation that is not (currently) privy to a conscious, step by step, systematic analysis of its components. I get a 'sense' that something is wrong, and I avoid the situation, and perhaps only later am able to investigate the thought process clearly. Intution.

So to me, appealing to intuition is appealing to reason. So are we saying that rhetoric is an appeal to reason as well as emotions?

Quote:

Sure, it can sometimes mislead us but is still an indespensible tool to dealing with the world.

By saying  "appeal to emotion" I do not necessary mean a dishonest appeal to emotions. All I mean is this:

I can give you a reason to be an environmentalist.

Or I can say "You're an asshole for using aerosol spray cans. You don't want to be an asshole, do you?"

Both reach the same goal.

Quote:

My rule of thumb is that you ought to trust your intiution unless you have a reason to doubt it. (and I'd imagine that's what you do naturally) By the way, I've been reading a book on the intuition and undermind and was interested to see what you make of it. It's mostly psychology, with various experiments cited and stuff, so hearing your critique/evalution of it would be very interesting.

I will take a look, thanks guys for the info on rhetoric! But if you don't mind, I still need some more...

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
To be honest, I don't know a

To be honest, I don't know a large amount on rhetoric.
The only two 'rhetoricists' have read from are Textom and the guy who wrote 'The Art of Zen and Motorcycle Maintainence!

todangst wrote:
Ok this answer is more clear for me. But what exactly are we calling intuition? I see intution as a part of reason, intution is an understanding of a situation that is not (currently) privy to a conscious, step by step, systematic analysis of its components.

I've always seen reason as a conscious linguistic activity.
That just seems to be personal difference on how we use the word though.

Quote:
So are we saying that rhetoric is an appeal to reason as well as emotions?

I guess rhetoric is persuasion in general.
So it could involve various elements in it.
The reason why I bring up intuition is because it often manifests itself through emotions, so I can sometimes see 'appealing to emotions' as appealing to the intuition.
However, I think that this is because I didn't really know what appealing to emotions is, rather I just assumed what it is by taking its name literally; as we will see:

Quote:
I can give you a reason to be an environmentalist.

Or I can say "You're an asshole for using aerosol spray cans. You don't want to be an asshole, do you?"

Both reach the same goal.

I see. So that's what you mean by appealing to emotions!
I'm not sure where I stand on all this to be honest... it's not something I'm very clued up on. Even on this conversation I've been working purely on general experience and intuition! Eye-wink

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, now I feel like an

Wow, now I feel like an ivory tower elitist. I take the study of rhetoric so much for granted that I hadn't really thought about having to define it for somebody. Let me try a couple of different things.

1. Rhetoric is an academic discipline: if you go to any major university in the U.S. and apply for a graduate degree program in the English department, you'll be asked what your specialization is. Different universities have different specialties, but all the big ones have the three major branches of things that English departments do: (1) English literature (meaning literature from Britain), (2) American studies (meaning American literature) and (3) Compositon and Rhetoric (meaning Rhetoric). When you get your degree, it's expected that you'll list it in your vitae as "Ph.D. Composition and Rhetoric" or whatever.

2. Rhetoric is a job discription. When U.S. colleges/universities advertise to hire new professors, they'll specify if the job is English lit, American studies, or comp/rhet (or something else like Afro-American studies or whatever). If you get a comp/rhet job, you'll typically be teaching writing (composition) as well as composition theory (the theory of how people write) and the academic subject of rhetoric itself. Literature classes are taught by literature scholars.

So hopefully so far this communicates the idea that I'm not making all this up--it's a legitimate and respectable branch of what's done in higher education in the U.S.

Aristotle needed a whole book to explain rhetoric, but hopefully I can do it in a paragraph. It started out as the study of how to defend a position. It has evolved into the study of the theory, history, interpretation, criticism and creation of texts. "Texts" here includes any kind of human communication, regardless of media, as long as it takes place in language (so not music or most visual art).

So when approaching a chunk of text like, for example, the sentence "God exists," a rhetorician is not usually asking questions like "is it coherent?" "is it logical" or "is it true?" The rhetorician's questions are things like: "What are the stakes around this statement?" "Who are the players?" "What does the author mean by this?" "What does this audience understand from this?" "What is the history of these terms?" The rhetorical questions (as it were) are designed to get at how something means rather than what it means.

Analysis of arguments has a long tradition in rhetoric--it's in Aristotle. Logic is a means by which meaning is constructed, so it's one of the tools we use to crack texts open. But, again, the key questions are not "is this argument valid?" or "is it sound?" but rather "is it persuasive?" And why or why not?

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst

todangst wrote:

Quote:

It's a fundamental premise of the post-modern theorists that meaning is socially constructed.

Tangent time: I'd agree that meaning is partly socially constructed. If I throw an object at you, you frown and duck and call me enemy, but if you think the object is a baseball, you smile and catch it and call me buddy. But the fact that an object is careening your way is a matter of physics and not inter-subjective.

J.L. Austen of speech-act theory fame would argue that the perception of the object rushing toward you is not "meaningful" because it isn't articulated in language yet.  Once the target of the flying object analyzes the rhetoric of the situation, the intention of the throw, the nature of the object and interprets it in more-or-less linguistic terms, then he has constructed a meaning for the experience.  Your own example reflects the process of articulating the language cue "baseball" and assigning the label "buddy" which reflects the social construction of the experience.

todangst wrote:

I'd also say that the basic elements of post modernism were already known prior to the existence of post modernism. I find people like Nietzsche and modernists like William James, Hans Vaihinger, were already saying these things... then again, post modernists can also call themselves pragmatists...

Every time I read Plato and Aristotle, I feel like they already had a handle on everything important. I think the key thing that differentiates the post-modernists from the modernists is that the posts had the work of the modernists to draw from.

todangst wrote:
Quote:

There is no necessary relationship between the parts of a sign.

Save for those matters of unavoidable reality that do make some elements necessary. Interpret the object all you like, you must still react to it. I think you agree, but I also think that post modernists tend to underscore how much of the situation is objective.

Oh yah, from the very beginning Saussure included the "signified"  in even his simplest model of signs.  The key idea the semioticians added is the decoupling of the other parts of the sign from the signified.

And then the big contribution of later semioticians is the recognition that signs are fluid and interrelated.  So that a single term or text can be overdetermined with multiple simultaneous interpretations, and that's not only okay, but also sometimes inevitable. 

todangst wrote:
Quote:

So from my point of view, analytic philosophy/materialism is a socially constructed system of meaning. Christian theism is also a socially constructed system of meaning.

And a psychotic's worldview is socially constructed too.

One of my many problems with post modernism is that this sort of claim leads to the erroneous conclusion that they are equitable, because they are both 'socially constructed'

Probably some people do this, but it would be a misapplicaton of postmodernist ideas.  It's a similar logic pattern to the Christians who set up "moral relativism" as a strawman that means "all moralities are equal" (meaning there's no morality at all).  Everybody with some level of intellectual honesty is going to agree that lines have to be drawn somewhere, or nobody is going to be able to say anything at all.

The advantage of looking at systems of meaning *as systems* is not that you can say that they're all equal (i.e. equally worthless). It's so that you can get a vantage point to evaluate their claims in view of the big picture of things like the stakes, the players, the history of the terminology, the intentions of the authors, the understanding of the audience, the assumptions and logic, and so on. 

todangst wrote:

But such a claim is a non sequitur, because 1) certain presumptions are better than others (I don't buy that there aren't cross paradigmatic elements) and 2) neither system is entirely socially constructed, there is more than just inter-subjectivity here, there is also objective reality. I think post modernists outside the Richard Rorty wing (RIP) accept this, do you?

Yeah, I read yr assumptions essay and liked it.  I'd say most postmodernists I've read agree that there's an objective reality, although more than a few would say that it's less important than the apprehension/interpretation of it.

todangst wrote:
Quote:
From a rhetorical perspective, it appears that Christian theism is doing a better job of persuading its intended audience of the validity of its meanings.

It's easier to feel, than to think. I dont mean this as an attack on christians, I point it in all directions, every position has numbers of adherents driven more by passion than by reason.

Let me turn to the concepts of William James on this matter: we don't reason our ways to a position, we hold to a position and then employ reason, under the dictates of desire, to quell cognitive dissonance. (James' hard hearted and soft hearted types)

Because desire precedes reason, and because our goal is often to quell dissonance, one need not even come up with good rationales... one can simply ignore facts, remain ignorant.

Let me be an elitist here and say that the mass of people will never move beyond this stage.

Well, see, from my own experience as a deconverted, I think that they are reasoning rather than just thinking.  Although James mentions reasoning, he similarly characterizes the Christian's disregarding of materialism as deliberately irrational.

I don't think the Christian theist's reasoning is *good.* But I think that there is a valid ("trivially valid" in your terminology) logical construction of a rationale for the existence of God that's in play here. I think that much atheist/freethinking discourse fails to address that rationale in terms that the Christian Theist can find common ground on.  Rhetorician Richard Lanham would describe the situation as a bug in the atheist document--a spot where the desired communication does not take place.

todangst wrote:

My point here is that I believe that in order to deal with this problem, one must first learn the nature of the relationship between emotions and reason, and then learn to find ways to free reason from the grasp of emotion. Which is precisely why I look down on rhetoric and precisely why I feel most people cannot be reached: coz they don't want to be reached, and yet, to change this, you must reach them.

Request: It kind of hurts my feelings when you call the appeal to emotion "rhetoric" even though I know that's not your intention. Can you please use the term "appeal to emotion," or "pathetic appeal" rather than reducing the entire discipline of rhetoric to this one tiny subject within it.  In return I agree not to refer to the entire field of psychology as "anal fixation."  Smiling

If you're expecting the majority of people to decouple their emotions from their reason, then I can see why you wouldn't be optimistic.  Personally I question whether anybody can do it entirely 

But I am optimistic because I don't think it's necessary to override emotions.  It's possible to interact with them instead (in a non-exploitive way, naturally) as part of a dialog that takes all aspects of persuasion into account.

I won't be back until Monday.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert