Religion and Multiculturalism

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Religion and Multiculturalism

Todangst- I would like to get your take on this matter as a fellow Clinical Psychologist in training.

As clinicians we are trained in recognize the cultural influence on our clients and how this may impact their difficulties and their treatment. Religion is included into the cultural influence on the individual. Of course as a clincian we want to understand and become educated about the client's spiritual and religious beliefs. However, I have come across some clients where their belief in GOD has been a detriment and is either a cause or an exacerbater of the indivdiuals problems. So, although I maintain an empathic, understanding, and objective stance with them it is difficult to watch their beliefs continue to impact them. Since I come from a cognitive perspective I naturally think how their irrational beliefs influence their emotions and behaviors. However, I also need to respect their cultural background.

I have one client and a colleague has another where their religious beliefs have such a huge negative impact on their presenting conditions. Very sad.

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi. Thanks for

Hi. Thanks for contributing.

If I may, I don't know that it is quite sufficient to say that mere "belief in God" itself is the detrimental thing at this point.  Indeed, many medical practitioners seem to have no difficulty conceiving of cases where belief in God expressed in the form of prayer has at least some calming effect on a patient in times of suffering. 

Of course, there are other beliefs that follow (rightfully or wrongfully, depending on the theistic tradition) which in turn may produce destructive thinking or behavior.  This, I might find more interesting to learn.  Can you elaborate on just what some of these patients believe about God that are so detrimental to their well-being?  Do you really mean that mere belief in God's existence causes some clinical harm?

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Archangel_7, Thanks for

Hey Archangel_7,

Thanks for the questions. I am saying that their belief in God, or at least their religious beliefs and practices are having an influence on their functioning.

Two Examples:

1- A woman who will not divorce her husband due to her fear of angering God about having a divorce, while her husband is emtionally abusive, has frequent affairs and even had a wedding to a new woman posted on the internet.

2- A woman who is suffering from cancer and has thought that God would miracle away her cancer. As a result she has not prepared for an upcoming surgery. She pushed the surgery back, which also pushes back her return to work and a normal lifestyle that she lived before her cancer. The fact that she still has her cancer has also caused her significant grief that prevents her from focusing on other more important life problems and challenges. 

Archangel__7
Theist
Archangel__7's picture
User is offlineOffline
These are some depressing

These are some depressing cases. Honestly, I salute you for being in a profession that tries to aid these women. I think what I'll do is consider each option you've provided in turn:

1) Belief in God

There are many who believe in God that have difficulty finding religious justification for many things... war, peace, forgiveness, divorce... It will depend which theistic tradition one references, since of course not all religious beliefs are "created equal". Depending on what tradition the woman in example (1) subscribes to, she may not be aware that an orthodox understanding of her faith does allow for divorce on grounds of marital unfaithfulness; even for the woman in example (2): suppose she was insufficiently informed to know that her theological tradition has no such prohibition against exhausting natural means in support of one's health? Indeed, on a moment's reflection this assumption seems absurd. Eating well, exercising, and getting enough sleep all seem to me "natural" activities one can (and indeed ought) to do, each of which have some health value, albeit in a more mundane form.

2) Religious beliefs and practices

This, I think is more agreeable; it seems pretty self-evident to me that at least some beliefs and practices interfere with one's well being or the well-being of others. Now suppose for some strange reason that each woman's faith tradition did not permit access to means that would enable proper functioning; maybe their unique "religious beliefs and practices" don't allow them to avail themselves to these solutions. I think what this nonetheless reminds us is that mere "belief in God" is not in itself culpable for detrimental behavior; more relevant to the question is the content of one's religious belief, since after all, many hospitals, charities, and some of the world's finest universities owe a great debt to those with belief in God for their existence. Whether one wants to offer some ground that "belief in God" is a cognitive dysfunction in its own right (as many on these forums are inclined to guess) is quite a separate matter, but as far as I know, there are no good reasons to think that options (1) and (2) alone are sufficient to warrant a negative interference on one's everyday functioning.

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think you make some good

I think you make some good points, and I in no way suggests that beliefs in God alone or religion alone would lead to psychiatric distress. In, fact these ideas bring alot of comfort to some people, even though it may be a false comfort. However, I think these beliefs and practices make people vulnerable to problems. For instance if the first lady's husband was trusting and faithful she would not have this problem. If the second lady didn't get Cancer she may not have this problem. However, their beliefs and practices have inhibited them from functioning. No, most mental disorder have multiple causes and what we call risk factors. Hardly ever is their one known cause and environmental stresses play a large role.

Also, Why does one need to believe in God or practice a religion to give to a charity?? Why not just do so?? Do these poeple just do good because of religion and God?? I have alot of trouble with this idea.