Degrees in Philosophy

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Degrees in Philosophy

So I've been looking at different things for college and so far I'm liking the idea of majoring in Writing or Philosophy....

As far as the Philosophy piece is concerned, I just don't know what I could do with that kind of degree besides working for a church...

Cuz that would just be a boner killer ; ]

hellfiend666
Rational VIP!
hellfiend666's picture
User is offlineOffline
So major in Writting and

So major in Writting and minor in Philosophy.  You could use your Philosophy degree to write about how organized religion sux! Lol  Become another public atheist, we need them!

The darkness of godlessness lets wisdom shine.

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah that's what I think

Yeah that's what I think I'll do... everyone seems to agree on that one.

Thanks.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Better yet, major in

Better yet, major in something else and take lots of electives in writing and philosophy.

(You're talking to a guy with two degrees in music who owns a restaurant... I know of what I speak.)

Unless you want to teach philosophy, don't get a philosophy degree.  Unless you are EXTREMELY serious about being a writer, don't do that either.  Even a business degree will get you a wide range of options for employment, and with all that money you will make, you can buy as many philosophy textbooks as you want.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm kind of in the same boat

I'm kind of in the same boat but instead of Writing I'm going into religious studies.  Does anyone know what kind of job opportunities there would be for me?  Or is there really the only opition of teaching religious studies/philosophy.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of my best friends has

One of my best friends has a PhD in philosophy, and is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met.  Seriously, when we play trivia at the local taco joint, I am convinced he gets an answer wrong every once in a while just so the rest of us don't feel so stupid.

He works for the state, driving poor kids around for DeFaCS at twelve dollars an hour.  Another friend got a masters in philosophy, worked at a restaurant for three years, then went back to get a masters in AI.  Now he works for a university.

Anecdotes, yes... but to answer your question, if you're not planning to preach or teach, you can't do much with a philosophy degree unless you know somebody.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fuck.... that dissapoints me

Fuck.... that dissapoints me a little. I was told similar by others but I kinda hoped it wasn't true lol. So you're basically telling me tho, to go and get a degree in buisness? I mean, I love Philosophy, but I don't wanna teach. And I love writing, but I would be just fine with only an occasional publish.  As far as the buisness spectrum goes... I don't know what I would do with that. I do wanna eventually open a Kung Fu school, so I guess that applies in a way.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
maybe I'll just go to school

maybe I'll just go to school for the rest of my life, and live with my parents.  lol

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, a business degree is

Look, a business degree is generic, boring, and useful.

If you go into almost any job interview with your MBA, you're going to stand a decent chance of getting the job, whether it's running a kung fu school, a restaurant, or a kindergarten.

On the other hand, like I said, I own a restaurant, and I have degrees in music.  Nothing is a guarantee of anything, but if you're playing the percentages, and don't know specifically what you want to do, a business degree is a pretty good idea.

You can also go a lot of directions with a science degree if you're planning on going to grad school.  Math, physics, biology, psychology... all of those degrees can lead you into a wide variety of masters degrees, but don't plan on getting anything really good out of undergraduate studies...

As a matter of fact, just plan on getting a masters.  Everybody has a bachelors degree these days.

Books about atheism

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Or, you can do what I chose

Or, you can do what I chose to do and get a science degree (as I didnt want an MBA LOL), the majority of public atheists are reputable scientists, and they will be taken the most seriously. I chose it because I basically get paid for an enjoyable intellectual pursuit, which is to unlock the secrets of life.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

drummermonkey
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well, I currently have my

Well, I currently have my honours degree in philosophy and have just got a scholarship to do an MA, although I haven't really decided my thesis topic yet. In the meantime I work as a research assistant to a PhD candidate in philosophy, basically I am an extra brain for him to bounce ideas off of, and do a lot of the boring readings. I also tutor students in philosophy. In the summer I work as a visual artist in a hospital setting, drawing, visiting and painting for patients in the hospice (that's where people go who a terminally ill). I sometimes am a guest lecturer for a theology class on the relationship between theology and philosophy. All of these I get paid to do, so it certainly is not out of the realm of possibilities to do something constructive with your degree other than teach. Usually when I am confronted with the question like "what can you do with a degree in philosophy?" I reply "Anything I want to..." really you are being trained to think creatively about difficult questions, so the world is completely open to you to do anything you want to do. If you're good at philosophy you can probably come up with some way to make money at doing it.

Of course you can write papers and present them at conferences, most of the time your expenses are covered by the school who is holding the conference, provided your paper gets accepted.

In truth, I have seen a lot of people with degrees do a lot of other things with philosophy degrees; a lot of them sit on ethics boards in ethics centers for schools, hospitals or businesses. A lot of them go on to practice law; some become public intellectuals (as was already mentioned), teachers, and activists.

voltaire28
User is offlineOffline
I have an MA in English

I have an MA in English with a concentration in Critical Theory, but the majority of courses I took were more focused in philosophy than in literature.   Even the literature courses were philosophy intensive, spending at least as much time reading philosophy and literary theory as we did actually reading novels and poetry.  Since then I've taught English and philosophy courses at smaller universities. 

Most English departments will give you relative freedom in choosing texts and curriculum while teaching (especially at small universities), so you can really pursue your own interests as long as you tie it in somehow to literature.  For instance, just choose philosophical novels like Voltaire's "Candide".  And of course providing the students with some of Voltaire's philosophical texts and those of his peers would be necessary for putting "Candide" into context, etc. etc.  

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Right now I'm going for a

Right now I'm going for a degree is programing then while I work get things in philosophy, theology, psychology, sociology, plus a few courses in other things.

What they might call that degree I don't know. Really I don't care what they call it, but I'm taking the courses I want to get the information I want.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I'll do something

I think I'll do something along the lines of you Voltaire28.  I don't even mind teaching and it was one of my career choices anyways.  And plus like Void.  I can just keep learning about things I want too.

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
sorry double posted.

sorry double posted.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7

crushingstep7 wrote:
Fuck.... that dissapoints me a little. I was told similar by others but I kinda hoped it wasn't true lol. So you're basically telling me tho, to go and get a degree in buisness? I mean, I love Philosophy, but I don't wanna teach. And I love writing, but I would be just fine with only an occasional publish. As far as the buisness spectrum goes... I don't know what I would do with that. I do wanna eventually open a Kung Fu school, so I guess that applies in a way.

Bruce Lee? 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

22jesus22
22jesus22's picture
User is offlineOffline
ahhaha seriously??

ahhaha seriously??

Laker-taker
Laker-taker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Better

Hambydammit wrote:

Better yet, major in something else and take lots of electives in writing and philosophy.

(You're talking to a guy with two degrees in music who owns a restaurant... I know of what I speak.)

Unless you want to teach philosophy, don't get a philosophy degree. Unless you are EXTREMELY serious about being a writer, don't do that either. Even a business degree will get you a wide range of options for employment, and with all that money you will make, you can buy as many philosophy textbooks as you want.

@Crushing... Listen to Hamby... dammit. He speaks truth.

I have a music degree as well... fat lot of good it's doing me now. *rolls eyes* During high school, my private instructor kept telling me, as I was searching for music schools to go to, "Nooo... you don't want to go to music school. Go to law school or medical school... something practical. Play music on the side. You don't need a degree if all you want to do is play." Did I listen? Hah!

To compound it, back then I wasn't interested in teaching either, so I waived the option to double major in education.

(Granted, I don't regret going to music school. I have a lot of knowledge and experiences, friends and connections, that I wouldn't otherwise have acquired, that I wouldn't trade for the world. I just regret not having chosen the practical option when it was presented to me. I had reason to be a little cocksure about my abilities, but no clue at all what the orchestral job market is like.)

Times have changed, and here I am now, at age 32, looking into going back to school for psychology/cognitive science (while all of my college friends, who opted for the ed degree, have real jobs and I'm still making... not much an hour, and in work that is totally unrelated to my degree). And, *irony strikes*, at this point I don't mind the prospect of being in school and teaching (at the college level, at least) for the rest of my life, heh.

Although, if you really are dedicated to philosophy and/or writing, by all means go for it, but perhaps give some thought toward reconsidering your position on teaching.

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: ...you

Hambydammit wrote:
...you can buy as many philosophy textbooks as you want.

As a philosophy student I deny the thought that by reading philosophy books anyone can acquire the methods and capabilities a philosopher has. I recon there are unique intellectuals who would immediately grasp the finesse of philosophical thought, still doubt some such person would understand the plethora of philosophic disciplines.

And for getting a job in philosophy; the fact is that most of the fields in philosophy are neccessary connected with some other field of science. Yet as the epitome of philosophy there is that level of conceptual reasoning that can be done without bothering with other fields of science, but is scarce to be found as a paying job.

There are philosophers working as politicians, as policy makers within governmental and nongovermental organisations, ethical commission of laboratories or hospitals, as humanitarian officers with the UN, high-school teachers, coaches giving philosophical training, social work, as movie directors, in-house philosopher at a museum, et cetera. 

Chaoslord2004
Chaoslord2004's picture
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: So

crushingstep7 wrote:
So I've been looking at different things for college and so far I'm liking the idea of majoring in Writing or Philosophy.... As far as the Philosophy piece is concerned, I just don't know what I could do with that kind of degree besides working for a church... Cuz that would just be a boner killer ; ]

Unless your willing to go the long hall and get a Ph.D, or go to Law School, don't do it.  Moreover, if you do go for it, you will not become rich...you will not meet many women in Philosophy, all the fame you might get will be relative only to Philosophy.  Furthermore, Philosophy can really mess you up; it can cause alot of confusion.  If you go into Philosophy, expect people to look at you like you have a lobster on your face.  Why?  Because they will have no idea what the hell your talking about.  All that aside, Philosophy is great, if you love it. 

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls, conform or be cast out" ~ Rush, from Subdivisions

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Chaoslord2004

Chaoslord2004 wrote:

Unless your willing to go the long hall and get a Ph.D, or go to Law School, don't do it. Moreover, if you do go for it, you will not become rich...you will not meet many women in Philosophy, all the fame you might get will be relative only to Philosophy. Furthermore, Philosophy can really mess you up; it can cause alot of confusion. If you go into Philosophy, expect people to look at you like you have a lobster on your face. Why? Because they will have no idea what the hell your talking about. All that aside, Philosophy is great, if you love it.

LOL! It's hard to deny the things you say, ones you're down to your chin in philosophy there is no way back, you'll become an unwanted visitor in that mind riddling thing called existence.

I however disagree about meeting women, my department has a equal amount of women as men, and most of them are quite a pleasure to see. Only the great problem about philosophy is that you notice you start equating anything you walk into through the looking glass of a philospher, even your own bloody relationship.

Luckily I live with a girl that just denies the fact that coherent argumentation has any value in adressing relational problems. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a friend who got a

I have a friend who got a degree in Philosophy and he says it was a useless degree and a waste of money. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I have a

pariahjane wrote:

I have a friend who got a degree in Philosophy and he says it was a useless degree and a waste of money.

Why did he thought it was useless? It strikes me as a contradiction that philosophy as being an extension of basic academic skills could be considered useless.

In what way is philosophy valued and teached in the US, 'cause I have the feeling (also due to some of my american teachers) that philosophy is not as much valued as an independent scientific discipline as here in the Netherlands.

Although I agree that philosophy will always find itself in an intellectual niché.

Chaoslord2004
Chaoslord2004's picture
User is offlineOffline
Digital_Babu wrote: LOL!

Digital_Babu wrote:
LOL! It's hard to deny the things you say, ones you're down to your chin in philosophy there is no way back, you'll become an unwanted visitor in that mind riddling thing called existence.

Indeed.  It consumes you.  Once your really into Philosophy, your always thinking about it.  You may not always be doing it...but its in the back of your mind.

Digital_Babu wrote:
Only the great problem about philosophy is that you notice you start equating anything you walk into through the looking glass of a philospher, even your own bloody relationship.

Also, two Philosophers should never date.  I knew of a lady who broke up with her boyfriend because he was a "two-boxer", meaning he supported taking both boxes in the Newcombs Paradox.  

Digital_Babu wrote:
Luckily I live with a girl that just denies the fact that coherent argumentation has any value in adressing relational problems.

If not coherent argumentation, then what?  Sex? 

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls, conform or be cast out" ~ Rush, from Subdivisions

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol!Your anthropology on

Lol!
Your anthropology on Philosophers is the best thing ever!

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaoslord2004 wrote: Also,

Chaoslord2004 wrote:

Also, two Philosophers should never date. I knew of a lady who broke up with her boyfriend because he was a "two-boxer", meaning he supported taking both boxes in the Newcombs Paradox.

He's better off without her then. 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
i'm finishing up my B.A. in

i'm finishing up my B.A. in philosophy this semester, and i'm going into creative writing for my graduate work. 

philosophy programs are highly competitive.  i'm an honor student, i always make the dean's list, but was unable to get into any Ph.D or M.A. programs in philosophy.  i plan on getting my M.A. in english, establishing myself academically, then applying to an M.A. or Ph.D philosophy program.  i ultimately want to teach philosophy and write poetry and short fiction in my leisure time.  

but yeah, as many have already said in this thread, philosophy and creative writing are two very narrow, impractical fields.  don't go into philosophy if you don't plan on teaching, although you could use a B.A. in philosophy as a springboard for graduate work in another field (as i'm doing).  a B.A. in philosophy consistently holds the most weight if you're planning on continuing graduate work in  an intellectual field (i.e. not business).  creative writing is perhaps even less practical, but you do have a few options there - make a living from publishing your work (if you're good enough), or teach creative writing at a university, or both.   

Digital_Babu
User is offlineOffline
Chaoslord2004 wrote: If

Chaoslord2004 wrote:

If not coherent argumentation, then what? Sex?

Well if sex would be the incoherent candidate to resolve the relational conflict at hand, than yes that would be the current course of action. In other circumstances 'calling names' is not uncommon, or 'emotional blackmail', but somehow it has a soothing effect in my relation. 

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ahhh... Bruce Lee practiced

Ahhh... Bruce Lee practiced Wing Chun Kung Fu at one point, and eventually moved on to developing his own system/philosophy in Martial Arts better known as Jeet Kune Do [which he later abandonned]. Anyway, I practice 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu and my stuff really isn't related to his. Close tho:]

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
And as far as being messed

And as far as being messed up, or in a way consumed by Philosophy it doesn't bother me too much.  I'd put knowledge and understanding before social acceptance any day.  What the hell does society know anyway? The majority of people are essentially stupid.  At least from what I've seen.

But I'm thinking that I should major in Buisnes and open a Kung Fu shcool.  Hopefully, I'll make enough money to be able to go back to college and earn another degree in Philosophy.  I would have to say that if I really wanted to learn Philosophy, or anything thuroughly [I think I spelled that wrong lol] I would need to have some kind of formal instruction.  

Chaoslord2004
Chaoslord2004's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst

todangst wrote:
Chaoslord2004 wrote:

Also, two Philosophers should never date. I knew of a lady who broke up with her boyfriend because he was a "two-boxer", meaning he supported taking both boxes in the Newcombs Paradox.

He's better off without her then.

Its stupid, in my opinion.  But you know what they say:  Philosophical debates are so heated because so little is at stake. 

Chaoslord2004
Chaoslord2004's picture
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: And as

crushingstep7 wrote:
And as far as being messed up, or in a way consumed by Philosophy it doesn't bother me too much.

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.  Study some philosophy and then try watching a sci-fi movie in peace.  You watch "The Fly" and then you start worrying about personal identity over time.  You watch "Back to the Future" and you can't stop thinking about the paradoxes of time travel.  Maybe im in the minority, but I can never stop thinking about Philosophy.  Although, I doubt im along; I don't think its a mere coincidence that philosophers drink so much... 

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok... I'm having trouble

Ok... I'm having trouble grasping the "so little is at stake" thing......

and it's buggin' me cuz I feel retarded. I can usually get that stuff pretty easily.

oh and the quote you have below that.... I'm trying to understand that one too lol

Chaoslord2004
Chaoslord2004's picture
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: Ok...

crushingstep7 wrote:

Ok... I'm having trouble grasping the "so little is at stake" thing.....

Its suppose to be a joke.  It pokes fun at academic debates.  They are so heated, and yet either way it doesn't matter...from a pragmatic standpoint.

crushingstep7 wrote:
oh and the quote you have below that.... I'm trying to understand that one too lol

The Chomsky quote?  Chomsky used that example to show that the syntax of a natural language is distinct from the semantics of the language.  He wanted to show that a meaningless sentence could still be grammatically correct. 

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh gotcha. I like that

Oh gotcha. I like that Chomsky quote. I'm gonna walk up to people and say that to them. See what they say lol. 

And yeah, to be honest it would drive me crazy if I didn't at least try to answer some of the questions I have. I can't ignore Philosophy. It's just not possible..... I'm sure what you know what I mean.

And btw guys/girls, I've succesfully converted an Agnostic and a HEAVY Theist to Atheism through pure logic.  And I have another heavy thiest reconsidering seriously. Not to mention the amount of people my new Athiests are going to educate.  Knowledge is contagious. Don't be afraid to spread it:]

TheDalbster
User is offlineOffline
I know this forum is a

I know this forum is a little dated, but I just registered here. I found this forum because I am trying to decide about philosophy too. Well, philosophy is a given, but I was worried because everyone asks with a sneer "what are you gonna do with THAT?" I am thinking of doing a 2nd major in physics for more options later. But here again I get the responses from people "why? why would you do all that math?" But reading this forum helped me. I am just gonna go for the philosophy and I think you should go for it too.

I hear it's pretty competitive to get into a PHD program but if that doesn't happen right away, then masters is an option at first until applying later. Or law school after masters. I am taking Latin to help in either case.

Philosophy is awesome. I would not mind someone looking at me like I have a lobster on my face if it is because I am so smart Eye-wink 

Well, I love, love, love philosophy and have a natural talent at it, so I think I will be ok. If u r good at it and love it then go for it!

HadouKen24
User is offlineOffline
I'm about to finish up my

I'm about to finish up my B.A. in philosophy. I've only got a year left. I have to say that it's been extremely rewarding, and well worth the time. When I graduate, I intend to try to find a job as a technical writer in (hopefully) computers, and head on to law school after a year or two.

Philosophy is an excellent preparation for law school. I'm starting to study for the LSAT, and I can already see that studying philosophy has given me a substantial edge. The other night I didn't miss a single Logic Reasoning practice question. The skills they require are exactly those honed by examining philosophical argumentation.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
TheDalbster wrote: But

TheDalbster wrote:

But here again I get the responses from people "why? why would you do all that math?"

That'a a silly question because math is fun

I was a music jock (yes, that's what we were called) and took so many college electives such as calculus and statistics that I ended up with a second major in mathematics. 

Because I had the math degree, I ended up in engineering and ultimately I.T.  (I've done zero with my music degree.)

By the way:  Welcome TheDalbster!  When you get a minute, we'd love it if you'd hop over to General Conversation, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a Ph.D. in English,

I have a Ph.D. in English, but I always knew I wanted to teach, so once I decided Biology wasn't for me, I always had an answer for the scoffers.

I have worked as a technical writer and the money is excellent.  But it's an office job without the rewards of teaching and there's a glass ceiling that you can't pass unless you go into management.  If you're serious about tech writing, be sure to go through a certification program somewhere along the way--there is actual institutional knowledge and theory that will help.  But the employment market for tech writers is desperate, so if you have some good samples to show you can get work anywhere.

You don't need a Ph.D. unless you plan to teach at a university, and the job market is tight, unless you're willing to move to where the job is (and it's usually not someplace fun).  But I never let that stop me when people told me that, and it worked out fine for me.

Also we do advise students who want to be lawyers to major in philosophy (or polisci, but not pre-law).  So even if you don't want to actually be a lawyer, you can give that answer to people who harass you. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
i just finished my B.A. in

i just finished my B.A. in philosophy last month.  even though it's been only a month, i already find myself looking back and laughing at some of the asinine, pointless shit that people got so worked up about.  most people in philosophy, and humanities in general (especially classical studies) are completely out of touch with reality.  it really changes people for the worst in some cases.  i can think of a few people that, by the time graduation rolled around, i couldn't even have a coherent conversation with anymore.  everything had to somehow tie cleverly back into Marxism or at least some lampoon of Cartesian dualism. 

but the classicist are the worst, in my opinion.  you seriously can't enjoy anything around them.  they have to perpetually be correcting you on some minor point that no one even cares about in the first place.  i had to expose myself to them through taking ancient Greek.  it was worth it though. 

i am always thinking of philosophy though, usually how film, music and literature ties into Heidegger's Being and Time or Plato's Republic.  i'm currently on this big Peter Weir kick, how all of his films tie into The Republic.  i think i'm onto something.  or perhaps i'm losing my mind.  haha.

it's been a very welcome change to at least temporarily resume a sort of blue collar existence for the summer.  i'm starting in on my MA in English Literature in the fall, though, so we'll see how that goes. 

TheDalbster
User is offlineOffline
I can see how philosophy

I can see how philosophy would take over your brain and invade everyday life so that you are always thinking of it in relation to everything. I am only sophmore status as far as philosophy is concerned - would be a junior, but changed my major. Already I can see (I think because I get so into it and have taken more than the required lower level) that now everything I assess, I must assess it from every possible viewpoint out there. So, it just leaves me more confused than before when I always knew what I thought about things. But I think that's because I am in the stage where I am learning to question things. I'm hoping that after my degree I will actually have the full set of skills required to actually formulate my own viewpoints with more solid grounding.

oh yea, I was gonna say that I used to be really into math and it did the same thing for me. EVERYTHING - any conversation or whatever - I began to think of in mathematical terms. So, math takes over your brain too, but things are much simpler and straighforward that way. Math really helps straighten things in your head.

Crap! I think I wanna go back into math or physics. Help! Anyone here that's done a double major with philosophy? If so, did it add to or take away from your philosophy education?

ps. I don't know why this post looks weird.

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chaoslord2004

Chaoslord2004 wrote:

crushingstep7 wrote:
And as far as being messed up, or in a way consumed by Philosophy it doesn't bother me too much.

Well, don't say I didn't warn you.  Study some philosophy and then try watching a sci-fi movie in peace.  You watch "The Fly" and then you start worrying about personal identity over time.  You watch "Back to the Future" and you can't stop thinking about the paradoxes of time travel. 

You think you have it bad my degree was a joint honours in physics and philosophy! No only do you sit there and ponder the philsophy of it all you also have to pick apart the science........ still it make you look like a total smart arse in front of your mates. 

Quote:
Maybe im in the minority, but I can never stop thinking about Philosophy.  Although, I doubt im along; I don't think its a mere coincidence that philosophers drink so much... 

Indeed. Now thats philosophical thinking at its finest. How many philosiphers can dance on the table of a pub after consuming a barrel of beer?