My thoughts about the "Theism is a mind disorder" videos (just some nitpicking, nothing major)

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
My thoughts about the "Theism is a mind disorder" videos (just some nitpicking, nothing major)

Overall, I think that Brian and Kelly made some wonderful points, and they have a very strong argument for classifying theism as a mental disorder. It's such a wonderful argument, in fact, that I'm not even going to address the main issues they brought forth. I don't really find it necessary, as I largely agree with them.

However, I contend that Brian's prediction about theism one day being listed in the DSM as a mind disorder is incorrect. And here's why: it's already in there. You guys spent all that time pointing out that theism actually fits (nearly perfectly, in fact) the list of diagnostic symptoms of Grandiose Delusional Disorder. Well, if theism is GDD, then it's already in the Manual. Call me a cynic, but I doubt that the APA will one day add theism as a new entry into the DSM when it already fits quite nicely under an already existing range of disorders.

That's all I'll say for the time being, as I don't want to overwhelm myself with things that will need responding to. In the future, once I've mulled things around a bit, I might bring up other concerns that I might have.