CNN Airing 3 Part Series - "God's Warriors" - 'Christians' Today 08/23/07

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
CNN Airing 3 Part Series - "God's Warriors" - 'Christians' Today 08/23/07

This series will deal with 'god's warriors' in three different religions, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity.

Here is a link:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/gods.warriors/

(Edit - fixed link)

(Edit - Updated title)

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I seen the previews. As I

I seen the previews. As I understand it's about the nutcases in every religion. Doesn't the title remind you of this though?

(mod edit - embedded video)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Bump* The show begins

*Bump*

The show begins tonight. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: *Bump* The show

BGH wrote:

*Bump*

The show begins tonight.

Are you taping it for me?  You know I don't have cable and I won't be able to stand it if I have to listen to you talk about it.  LOL 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Are you taping

jce wrote:

Are you taping it for me? You know I don't have cable and I won't be able to stand it if I have to listen to you talk about it. LOL

I will tivo and burn it for you. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Bump* On now.... 

*Bump*

On now.... 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I only get up a bit after 10

I only get up a bit after 10 pm for work. I did see about half of the 1st part last night.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I only

MattShizzle wrote:
I only get up a bit after 10 pm for work. I did see about half of the 1st part last night.

Last night's episode was pretty good, I learned a few things and it seemed to illustrate the conflict of the West Bank fairly well. I am especially looking forward to tonight's (Muslims) and tomorrow's (Christians) episodes.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It was interesting because

It was interesting because fanatical Jews aren't in the spotlight as the crazy Moslems or Christians.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only caught snippets of

I only caught snippets of the program but I thought it was really interesting.  I also realized that I am pretty ignorant in the affairs of Israel.  I always focused on the fighting that is happening now, and didn't realize the cause behind the fighting.  There were some pretty sneaky tactics involved. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Part 2 tonight? The West

Part 2 tonight?

The West Bank conflict (what an understatement!) is a classic example of the harm religion can do.  Centuries of lives lost because one group of people has convinced themselves that they are the 'chosen ones'.  Very sad.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I seen

MattShizzle wrote:

I seen the previews. As I understand it's about the nutcases in every religion. Doesn't the title remind you of this though?

(mod edit - embedded video)

Haha, yeah.  The thing is, that woman would probably be out of her mind even if religion didn't exist at all.   

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Haha, yeah.

jmm wrote:

Haha, yeah. The thing is, that woman would probably be out of her mind even if religion didn't exist at all.

Well, I have been watching this series and it is doing well to illustrate the quote:

Quote:
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. ~ Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in physics

They are showing interviews with people who actually have come out of the extremist views they held and they fully admit they were not mentally deranged or insane, they got sucked in by the religion. They believed they were doing things god wanted them to do, especially the attacks against other religions. These people ONLY were willing to do these things under the guise of pleasing their god. Faith was their justification. The torah/quran/bible was the instruction manual. Their faith, belief in god and longing to please the invisible was all they needed to inspire hatred and violence.

I highly suggest if you get a chance to catch this series (in the OP), watch it, there are shocking/surprising things you will learn.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Bump* Last night's episode

*Bump*

Last night's episode regarding muslims was certainly alarming and disturbing.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm so pissed I missed

I'm so pissed I missed this!!!  I hope they re-air it. 

MyDogCole
MyDogCole's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:

pariahjane wrote:
I'm so pissed I missed this!!! I hope they re-air it.

It's on YouTube, broken into 11 segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh7WkyaeRBg

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." ~ Abraham Lincoln

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love the debate in the

I love the debate in the first part.  The Muslim fucktard was completely demolished with the well-reasoned non-Muslim basically said, "no alcohol, no sex".  Yeah, Islam won't catch on very well if those facts are advertised.  Well, the Christian fundies will like that message but fundies are pretty much all the same.

They love the technological advances godless science brings but will whine they are oppressed.  The British Muslims are given health care, education, public services, etc. and they'll complain that life in our godless societies is awful.  How refreshing it must be living in a mud hut shitting in a hole in the backyard.

Imagine how effective these terrorists will be if our society no longer needs their oil.  Oil is the only reason people pay attention to the Arabic states. 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I seen that one too, but

I seen that one too, but unfortunately will miss the Christian one.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Bump* Christians are on

*Bump*

Christians are on now. 

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know if another

I don't know if another television program has ever pissed me off as much as this one. 

"We teach math because god created math, and god loves math."

Fucking morons, the entire lot of them.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh wrote: I don't

Roisin Dubh wrote:

I don't know if another television program has ever pissed me off as much as this one.

"We teach math because god created math, and god loves math."

Fucking morons, the entire lot of them.

I almost threw up when I heard that woman say the statement you quoted.

This episode is the most disgusting/disturbing/enraging so far, I guess because this is my home and these people and making very concerted efforts to change it. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
This 'Battlecry' teen

This 'Battlecry' teen ministry thing is deeply unsettling, Ron Luce needs to be investigated.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
What's the over/under on how

What's the over/under on how many months before Ron Luce is caught in a drug/homosexual/fraud/etc. scandal?

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
He certainly has a 'Ted

He certainly has a 'Ted Haggard' simularity with his fervor and zeal.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rolling Stone Magazine did

Rolling Stone Magazine did a large story on Ron "Looney" Luce:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/14021621/teenage_holy_war 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I seen part of it. I think

I seen part of it. I think for those of us in the United States the Christian fundies are by far the most dangerous.

rational_terp
User is offlineOffline
Here is a link to some

Here is a link to some emails that were sent to cnn.com concerning this show:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/23/faith.reader.feedback/index.html

(edit - fixed link)