Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Texas, again

Bill Nye The Science Guy gets some Christian 'love'

From BSAlert:

----------

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarassment.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/04/06/04062006wacbillnye.html

----------

Here is the original article from BSAlert. Note that the wacotrib.com link above goes to a registration page, not the Waco Tribune article.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
They should rename it

They should rename it "Wacko."

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, what do you expect

Well, what do you expect from a town that tolerated the Branch Dividians?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course it emits light. 

Of course it emits light.  That's why there is the new moon.  Oh, wait a tick.....

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it obvious?  God

Isn't it obvious?  God cares about the environment and his bills.  He's leading by example.  "and the lesser light to govern the night".  2000 or so years ago, he simply switched the globe of the lesser light for a more energy efficient one!

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am horrified that in this

I am horrified that in this day and age that seemingly educated adults are this backward.

Guess I'm naive.  I really thought people understood that moonlight was reflected light.  

I can imagine that the Waco newspaper has been inundated with emails asking the average IQ of their townspeople.

You have to chuckle a bit, though, wondering if there's any reaction/understanding at all from the woman that stormed out of the lecture.

Maybe her kids explained it to her later.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Fucking morons. Sounds like

Fucking morons. Sounds like a parody, but people actually are that stupid. Sad

joewhyit
User is offlineOffline
Just goes to show ya... you

Just goes to show ya... you don't give a married woman a foot massage, and you don't try to bring science to the United States of Jesus.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
that's hilarious! with such

that's hilarious! with such a high religous sensitivity, you have to wonder why the woman with the kids came to the science series to begin with.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no words for such

I have no words for such complete idiocy...

HereticChick
HereticChick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read that on BSAlert...I

I read that on BSAlert...I laughted my ass off.  Apparently, idiocy didn't die with the Branch Davidians.

"Killing for peace is like fucking for chastity"

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
On the page you linked to

On the page you linked to it states this:

"This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarassment." 

It's because the story is over a year old. 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: On the page

D-cubed wrote:

On the page you linked to it states this:

"This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarassment."

It's because the story is over a year old.

Yeah, I don't think it was suppressed I remember hearing it and reading it last year. 

Prang
Prang's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Nye: science guy, heretic...

http://bsalert.com/news/1990/Bill_Nye_Bood_In_Texas_For_Saying_The_Moon_Reflects_The_Sun.html

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun. s even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.
This story originally appeared in the Waco Tribune, but the newspaper has mysteriously pulled its story from the online version, presumably to avoid further embarassment.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/04/06/04062006wacbillnye.html

End quote.

Prang
Prang's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure how that second

Not sure how that second post got in there...Odd.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "second" post is how it

The "second" post is how it ends up when a duplicate thread is created and then a Mod "grafts" onto the first thread.  Unfortunately, when an entire thread is "glued" onto another, the comments display in reverse sequence.

Prang, your thread was moved to be included in a thread that was posted several days ago with the same article.  Note that when you click on the link where you originally posted, you are in a different forum.

This was just a bit of "clean up" by the Mod Team so we don't have duplicate threads. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Prang
Prang's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gotcha, A little lack of

Gotcha, A little lack of attention to detail on my part. Never seen dupe posts handled like that before. Thanks for the clearing that up.