How do they get away with this?!

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
How do they get away with this?!

Another gem from the Bad Astronomer: http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/08/06/time-to-saw-south-carolina-off-from-the-us-and-set-it-free/

How is this acceptable? I understand that the University is privately funded, but the fact that they denied interracial relationships should just be illegal. I won't even get started on the other shit.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That is fucked up and

That is fucked up and definitely should be illegal.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pariah, I agree with your

Pariah, I agree with your revulsion.  Allow me to wear a legal cap for a moment and defend SC's right to do this. 

This is why we have a Federal Republican form of government.  If you don't like what South Carolina's legislature does, then don't live there.  The entire point of states is to allow for a variety within the country.  We need to have little test tubes to try new ideas.  Those ideas may be progressive (civil unions) or archaic (this example).  What we, as Americans, cannot accept is one state being able to tell another state what to do.

Think of how many problems would arise if South Carolina could tell Massachusetts what to legislate.

Now, the national government has power to stop certain things.  It can effect change by refusing certain federal funding.  The acts of a state government may not violate the national constitution. 

The end answer, though, is: if you do not like it, don't live there.  I have left a state for less.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Actually the federal

Actually the federal government can tell the states what to do - the Civil war showed that.

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
I largely agree with you,

I largely agree with you, Nero, but for the most part I doubt the poor of South Carolina can move to a more liberal state to get school funding. At least there are federal funding sources.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Actually

MattShizzle wrote:
Actually the federal government can tell the states what to do - the Civil war showed that.

Sorry Matt, that is an ill-informed view.  I understand that the federal government has the army and the larger tax base, but powers that are not specifically listed in the constitution as going to the federal government are "reserved by the states."

Stop and think for a moment.  If the federal government was as you suggest, do you think that the current administration would allow Massachusetts to act as it currently does?  Of course not.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Federal law trumps state

Federal law trumps state law, and we have federal anti-discrimination laws.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
MrRage wrote: I largely

MrRage wrote:
I largely agree with you, Nero, but for the most part I doubt the poor of South Carolina can move to a more liberal state to get school funding. At least there are federal funding sources.
I've lived in SC all my life,and ignorance is pretty high down here.  Interracial marriages were banned until a short time ago. Most of this state is filled with ignorant people that believe the Bible 100%,yet wonder why this state is 49th in Test scores. 

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.