One way to help spread rationality....

Michael A. Thompson
Michael A. Thompson's picture
User is offlineOffline
One way to help spread rationality....

One thing that I have found is that people believe things like Christianity because no one bothers to question their belief.  Much less show them!  That is where you come in.   These fliers are a simply way to do that very thing without you having to confront someone else in person, if you so chose.  Below I have a sample of the flier that I put out.  Feel free to copy and print them off for yourself to distribute.   

Christianity has a simple philosophy for spreading their comic book like beliefs.  One person will plant the seed, another will water it, and then finally one will reap the harvest.  This strategy works equally well for rational people and their beliefs. Planting consists of simply getting people to start questioning their own beliefs.  Watering would be thoughts given to them by the following sources, reading, watching debates, talking with, or watching how rational people act.  Harvesting is the point where they finally realize that their theistic beliefs are wrong (To put it nicely).  This strategy works even better for rational people who, generally, use facts and evidence in the real world to guide their actions.  These fliers can be used at any one of the 3 stages mentioned above.  Every time I have used them with people they are ALWAYS unaware of even these simple and obvious errors.  However, they are primarily designed for the first step (Planting the seed of rationality.).

Like any other form of advertising these fliers are best placed in an area that has a “captive” audience.  The absolutely BEST place to put them is to tape them in front of urinals and the insides of public toilet doors.  Restrooms in theaters, concerts, bars, etc. are especially great locations. A very small sticker to keep it on the wall and even Jesus himself would read it because there is nothing else to do!  As far as the advertising mission is concerned this method has a 100% success rate.  I have NEVER went to the same stall and seen my flier still up!

Other good places are to put them in Library magazines (at least 1 person will see it or they would not have a subscription for it at that library.) or popular books at Barnes and Nobles, local book stores, etc.  Leave them at restaurants, along with a good tip (She may be an evil Atheist but she’s a great tipper!), or the doctors office waiting room.  I ALWAYS keep two  in my wallet, folded of course, for any opportunity that comes my way to refute the “Good News” Christianity.  These are only simple guidelines so feel free to use your creativity in distributing rationality to those in need.  

When talking with people try not to convert them to YOUR point of view.  Everyone expects that and it simply causes them to put up there metal defenses.  Instead what I do is set up a sliding scale of evidence (With 1 being total disbelief and 10 being total belief).  I first have them tell me where on that scale they would put their belief.  I point out that in order to be a 1 or a 10 you MUST know EVERYTHING there is to know in the Universe.  When I start the conversation most people who try to convert me say they are a “10”.   By the time were done going through the flier they are at least down to a “9”.  You can’t possibly expect a conversion right in front of you but at least they are one step farther away from delusion.  Smiling

In closing just keep this thought in mind.  People are literally using TRILLIONS! of dollars worth of resources each year across the world to do things that they honestly think is helping others.  From time wasting activities like conversations, church meetings, prayer, missions, and especially money and materials to name just a few of them.  Can you imagine what the world would look like if that money was spent to do REAL good in this world?!?!?  The above mentioned exercise requires very little cost or effort on anyones part and so I hope you will all help me in “planting the seed”.  Thanks

Biblical Errancy

This is a small part of a far larger list that can be had at Biblicalerrancy.org.  Rationalrespoders.com is a good place for  other material including video debates.

1 Jesus’s alleged genealogy in Matt. 1:1-16 and Luke 3:23-38 do not match .  (And unless Mary changed her name to Joseph, her genealogy is not one of those listed.)

2 Four different accounts of who saw the tomb first.  Mary Magdalene alone (John 20:1) vs. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (Matt. 28:1) vs. Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Salome (Mark 16:1) vs. Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James and other women (Luke 24:10)

3 Jesus' prophecy in John 13:38 (“The cock shall not crow, till thou [Peter] hast denied me three times”) is false. Mark 14:66-68 shows the cock crowed after the first denial, not the third.

4 How can 2 Kings 8:26, which says Ahaziah began to rule at age 22, be reconciled with 2 Chron. 22:2, which says he was 42 when his rule began?

5 Saul was killed  by his own hands (1 Sam. 31:4), by a young Amalekite (2 Sam. 1:10), by the Philistines (2 Sam. 21:12)

6 Was Jehoiachin 18 years old when he began to reign in Jerusalem and did he reign 3 months (2 Kings 24:Cool, or was he 8 years old and reigned 3 months and 10 days (2 Chron. 36: 9)?

7 In John 3:13 ("And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man...) Jesus erred because 2 Kings 2:11 (“. . . and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven&quotEye-wink shows Elijah went up earlier.

8 Deut. 23:3 "An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever."  Ruth a Moabitess, not only entered the congregation of the Lord as Ruth 1:4, 1:22, 4:13, 4:17 shows but gave birth to the ancestors of David and Jesus.

9 Ex. 33:20 says no man has seen God's face and lived while in Gen. 32:30 Jacob says, "I have seen God face to face and my life is preserved."

10 Matt. 2:23 "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene." He shall be called a Nazarene does not exist in the Old Testament. There is no such prophecy.

11 How can Jesus be God when he repeatedly said he was not God's equal? Obvious examples are: John 14:28 (“...for my Father is greater than I”), John 20:17 ("I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and your God&quotEye-wink, and John 7:16 ("My doctrine is not mine but his that sent me&quotEye-wink.

12 In Mark 10:19 Jesus told a man to follow the Commandments. 

Yet one of those listed by Jesus was "defraud not," which isn't even an Old Testament commandment.

13 Jesus wrongly predicted in Matt. 12:40 that he would be buried three days and three nights as Jonah was in the whale three days and three nights. Friday afternoon to early Sunday morning is only one and a half days.

14 Paul says Christianity lives or dies on the Resurrection (1 Cor.

15:14,17). Yet, why would it be of any consequence since the Widow at Nain's son, Jairus's daughter, Lazarus, and many others rose before

Jesus? By the time he rose this was a rather common occurrence. I

would think it would have been met by a resounding yawn rather than

surprise followed by: So what else can you do? Adam's act of coming

into the world as a full grown adult is more spectacular.

15 For a very famous man (Matt.4:24), not one contemporary writing has ever been found that mentions Jesus outside the Bible.  Not so much as a diary or letter entry such as “By the way, my father was raised from the dead today by a man named Jesus.”

16 In Matt. 16:28 Jesus said, “There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his

kingdom." Yet, they all died and he never came.

17 Jesus told a man in Mark 8:34 that "whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow me." The obvious question is: What cross? Jesus hadn't yet died on the cross. There was nothing to take up. That man would have had no idea what he was talking about.

18 How could Moses have written the first five books in the Bible (the Pentateuch) when his own death and burial are described in Deut. 34:5-6 ("So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab ... and he buried him in a valley. . . .&quotEye-wink?

19 Surely you don't believe Eccl. 1:9 RSV ("What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun&quotEye-wink? How many cities had an atomic bomb dropped on them prior to 1945, and how many people walked on the moon before 1969?

20 If God created everything, (Col. 1:16, Eph. 3:9, Rev. 4:11, John1:3), then he did create the world's evil (Isa. 45:7, Lam. 3:38). Thus, he is responsible for evil and not just “allowing” it to happen.

21 For justice to exist, punishment must fit the crime. No matter how many bad deeds one commits in this world, there is a limit. Yet, hell's punishment is infinitely greater. It’s eternal.

22 One of our nations founding fathers said it best when he wrote: "...it is, I believe, impossible to find in any story upon record so many and such glaring absurdities, contradictions, and falsehoods, as are in the books (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John). They are more numerous and striking than I had any expectation of finding, when I began this examination,..." (Age of Reason by Thomas Paine, page 167)

20 Copies of this pamphlet can be purchased by sending $10 to:

Michael Thompson P.O. Box 83 Niles, MI 49120-0083

or ,better yet, you can make copies of this one for free.

"Those who have stepped into the arena shall forever cherish a feeling the protected will never know."

Voided
User is offlineOffline
rationalresponsesquad

rationalresponsesquad wrote:
Flyer creation for the Rational Response Squad Perpetual Enlightenment. (a counter to Christian "tracts&quotEye-wink

The ideal flyer would be one that captures your attention, is not too confrontational and is filled with verifiable facts. Flyers can be pictorial or textual and up to two pages (one piece front and back). The perfect flyer encourages the reader to find out more about the flaws in theism after they've read it. Possibly the biggest prize of all is having a flyer you created handed out millions of times over the rest of your life in an attempt to help our fellow man abandon his mind crutch. There are so many ways to attack religion, we're reluctant to suggest how best to go about it. Pick a theme, come up with something that people will actually want to read, and people will actually want to hand out. If you're a cartoon artist or can sketch something out you may want to make a comic strip. If you would like to make your message very small and to the point, this may be a good method as well. Smaller messages save paper, you could print it two (or more) times per page and fill front and back! All flyers should link people to www.RationalResponders.com

Check out the thread here Thompson.