Texas - One State, Under God

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Texas - One State, Under God

Found this on Fark (will post to the main page in about two hours)

Aug. 2, 2007, 6:35AM
Students must remember 'God' in Texas pledge

The revised Texas pledge

Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible. -->

Texas students will have four more words to remember when they head back to class this month and begin reciting the state's pledge of allegiance.

This year's Legislature added the phrase "one state under God" to the pledge, which is part of a required morning ritual in Texas public schools along with the pledge to the U.S. flag and a moment of silence.

State Rep. Debbie Riddle, who sponsored the bill, said it had always bothered her that God was omitted in the state's pledge.

"Personally, I felt like the Texas pledge had a big old hole in it, and it occurred to me, 'You know what? We need to fix that,' " said Riddle, R-Tomball. "Our Texas pledge is perfectly OK like it is with the exception of acknowledging that just as we are one nation under God, we are one state under God as well."

By law, students who object to saying the pledge or making the reference to God can bring a written note from home excusing them from participating.

But adding that phrase has drawn criticism from some who say it's unneccesary and potentially harmful to children who don't share the same religious beliefs. "Most Texans do not need to say this new version of the pledge in order to be either patriotic or religious," said Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. "This is the kind of politicking of religion that disturbs many Americans, including those who are deeply religious."

The revised wording in the Texas pledge took effect on June 15, and the Texas Education Agency sent an e-mail reminding school districts about the change earlier this week.

Officials with Houston-area districts say they will notify schools and parents about the new requirement.

Rebecca Suarez, spokeswoman for the Houston Independent School District, said a letter about the change will be sent home to parents when their children return to school. And a flier with the pledge's revised wording will be sent to each campus before classes start.

Texas has had a pledge of allegiance since 1933. In 2003, the Legislature required all schools to pledge allegiance to the U.S. and Texas flags and observe a moment of silence every morning at the beginning of classes.

Texas isn't the only state that has its own pledge of allegiance. Other states include Michigan, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Kentucky.

Mississippi and Louisiana mention God in their pledges. And Kentucky lays claim to being blessed with "grace from on High."

[email protected]

Like I said above, the article will be available on Fark.com at 1:24pm

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it too late to give Texas

Is it too late to give Texas back to mexico?

ispeakmetal
ispeakmetal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, a little, but I think

Yeah, a little, but I think Mexico's taking it back anyway.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Jarem Asyder wrote: Is it

Jarem Asyder wrote:
Is it too late to give Texas back to mexico?

Hey I'm still here :P 

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
More unconstitutional Bullshit from the state of Texas! "One sta

Something needs to be done about this! I think you guys should touch upon this subject in an upcoming show! What the Fuck is going on in this Country!!!!!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5020241.html

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Voided
User is offlineOffline
It might be just be texas...

It might be just be texas... Looked up the board of edcuation Path?