WBC (Wesboro Baptist Church) to protest at VTech funeral. God did it.

ChaosPerfected
ChaosPerfected's picture
User is offlineOffline
WBC (Wesboro Baptist Church) to protest at VTech funeral. God did it.

WBC to Preach at Funerals of Virginia Tech Dead

WBC will preach at the funerals of the Virginia Tech students killed on campus during a shooting rampage April 16, 2007. You describe this as monumental horror, but you know nothing of horror -- yet. Your bloody tyrant Bush says he is 'horrified' by it all. You know nothing of horror -- yet. Your true horror is coming. "They shall also gird themselves with sackloth, and horror shall cover them; and shame shall be upon all faces, and baldness upon all their heads" (Eze. 7:18).

Why did this happen, you ask? It's simple. Your military chose to shoot at the servants of God today, and all they got for their effort was terror. Then, the LORD your God sent a crazed madman to shoot at your children. Was God asleep while this took place? Was He on vacation? Of course not. He willed this to happen to punish you for assailing His servants.

Not sure if this is the right place for this... but, thoughts, everyone? Discuss.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Can I see the link?

Can I see the link?

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
I know of this as well.

I know of this as well. See here: www.godhatesamerica.com

I have HAD ENOUGH OF THESE COWARDS

I was coming to the forums just to post about this, and say that I am VERY TEMPTED to go down there myself and counter protest in their faces. As an atheist. Alas, I don't know if it will happen because I have made travel plans for this weekend. But I would feel strongly enough about ANYONE's (be they theist or atheist) right to a funeral free of bigoted hate to go down there and fight for that right. As an atheist.

I havn't thought it through fully, so I'd appreciate some input, but I am IRATE and ready to push others to go down and counter-protest.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote: I know of

Tomcat wrote:

I know of this as well. See here: www.godhatesamerica.com

I have HAD ENOUGH OF THESE COWARDS

I was coming to the forums just to post about this, and say that I am VERY TEMPTED to go down there myself and counter protest in their faces. As an atheist. Alas, I don't know if it will happen because I have made travel plans for this weekend. But I would feel strongly enough about ANYONE's (be they theist or atheist) right to a funeral free of bigoted hate to go down there and fight for that right. As an atheist.

I havn't thought it through fully, so I'd appreciate some input, but I am IRATE and ready to push others to go down and counter-protest.

That is completely unacceptable and downright disgusting of them to protest at those funerals.  I feel bad saying that, as I wouldn't be able to go down there to counter protest.  But I agree that something must be done about them; they are cowards.  Then again, if you counter protest, that would only bring more media, which is exactly what they want.  

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:

pariahjane wrote:

That is completely unacceptable and downright disgusting of them to protest at those funerals. I feel bad saying that, as I wouldn't be able to go down there to counter protest. But I agree that something must be done about them; they are cowards. Then again, if you counter protest, that would only bring more media, which is exactly what they want.

Yea, but I wonder what an atheist presence at a counter protest would bring for the WBC? If I can make people think about why people do such awful things as the WBC does, they will have a good chance at seeing that it is indeed Christianity and the Bible that are greatly deserving of blame. I bet ANY atheist who goes out there to condemn the WBC and fight to let these funerals go on in peace will get major support from Christians of all types. I think it could be eye opening for some, who would never imagine an atheist there.

I mean, I wouldn't evangelize or anything, but I think merely an atheist counter-presence would be thought provoking and anyone to give the WBC a hard time would be cheered.

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Bunch of douchefaces. They

Bunch of douchefaces. They pretty much have both the right and left hating them at this point.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tomcat wrote: pariahjane

Tomcat wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

That is completely unacceptable and downright disgusting of them to protest at those funerals. I feel bad saying that, as I wouldn't be able to go down there to counter protest. But I agree that something must be done about them; they are cowards. Then again, if you counter protest, that would only bring more media, which is exactly what they want.

Yea, but I wonder what an atheist presence at a counter protest would bring for the WBC? If I can make people think about why people do such awful things as the WBC does, they will have a good chance at seeing that it is indeed Christianity and the Bible that are greatly deserving of blame. I bet ANY atheist who goes out there to condemn the WBC and fight to let these funerals go on in peace will get major support from Christians of all types. I think it could be eye opening for some, who would never imagine an atheist there.

I mean, I wouldn't evangelize or anything, but I think merely an atheist counter-presence would be thought provoking and anyone to give the WBC a hard time would be cheered.

Huh.  I never thought of it that way.  You may be on to something with that. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
As disqusting as they are

As disqusting as they are as long as they are obeying local law and not advocating violence they have the constitutional right to do that.

What is the differance between this sicko doing this and say Falwell blaming 9/11 on abortionists and secularists? "I point the finger at you and say, you helped this happen. God lifted his veil of protection."

That is a sick statement but in no way advocates violence. 

I'd say certainly counter protest them and show your support for VT victims. But lets not throw freedom out the window every single time someone says something sick.

Phelps does a great job making himself look like a complete ass. I'd rather he do that, than have a goverment making decisions for me on what is or is not offensive.

Our goverment law inforcement is based on a reactive system. We run on the presumption of innocence and cannot censor every hatefull person just because we dont like what they say. That kind of preemptive mentality can be used by goverment as a political tool to opress dissenting views.

As atheists we here say lots of blasphemous things about every religion. If we inact "hate speech" laws in our society we fail to remember that you still are dealing with humans interpreting those laws and it could become very easy for a Christian jury or Christian judge or police officer to see a site like this as "hate speech".

The constitution certainly garuntees this site to say these things. But that does not garuntee that people in goverment power will always in every case protect us. It is up to us to maintain everyone's free speech in order to protect our own.

Our laws already put the personal responsibility into the citizens hands to not advocate phyisical violence or crime. That allows the citizen the freedom to say what they want without fear from government to be censored or arrested over mere words. 

If there is one thing I hate more than bigots it is the idea that we should use government to force the silence of  things we dont like, simply because we dont like them.

We must remember as the most distrusted minority in America not to give government that kind of censorship power.  

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
By the way I had to make a

By the way I had to make a video response to this shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrbksTxdDfk

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think anyone on

I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting that the gov't becomes involved.  We were just discussing counter-protesting.  Of course they have a right to do what they intend, regardless of whether they are horrible, cowardly people for doing so.  And we would have a right to counter-protest.  I don't believe in censorship of any kind.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
pariahjane wrote: I don't

pariahjane wrote:

I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting that the gov't becomes involved. We were just discussing counter-protesting. Of course they have a right to do what they intend, regardless of whether they are horrible, cowardly people for doing so. And we would have a right to counter-protest. I don't believe in censorship of any kind.

I wasnt talking about you personally. I do however know pleanty of theists and atheists who would suggest government censorship. Counter protesting them is a great idea. 

I am just serving a reminder that the good intent of ending bigotry should not involve bad tactics. That post was not adressing any individual. It was merely a warning not to give goverment the power of squashing dissent. That would be a bad idea for atheists in a theistic country to give goverment that kind of power.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: pariahjane

Brian37 wrote:
pariahjane wrote:

I don't think anyone on this thread is suggesting that the gov't becomes involved. We were just discussing counter-protesting. Of course they have a right to do what they intend, regardless of whether they are horrible, cowardly people for doing so. And we would have a right to counter-protest. I don't believe in censorship of any kind.

Oh, ok, I think I misundestood what you meant. Smiling

I also agree with you, and I really think there is fine line that can be easily crossed when it comes to censorship. And we atheists would probably be burned at the stake if they decided to renege on that wonderful freedom of speech stuff.  

I wasnt talking about you personally. I do however know pleanty of theists and atheists who would suggest government censorship. Counter protesting them is a great idea. 

I am just serving a reminder that the good intent of ending bigotry should not involve bad tactics. That post was not adressing any individual. It was merely a warning not to give goverment the power of squashing dissent. That would be a bad idea for atheists in a theistic country to give goverment that kind of power.