Jesus sign vs Satan sign

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Jesus sign vs Satan sign

Good vs. evil in Naugatuck business dispute

April 3, 2007Associated Press
NAUGATUCK, Conn. -- A local zoning dispute has become for some a battle of good vs. evil.
The owner of a photo store, who says her business partner is Jesus, began Holy Week by putting signs outside her store urging passing motorists to show their support for the Christian holiday. "Easter: Beep for Christ," the signs said.

Phil Young, owner of a neighboring tattoo store, soon after put out a sign urging motorists to honk twice for Satan.

Naugatuck officials ordered the signs removed.

While the messages are irrelevant, zoning ordinances require signs to pertain to what businesses sell, do not block sidewalks and do not create a hazard, Mayor Ron San Angelo said.

"We've got to follow our zoning regulations. That's all we care about," he said.

Claudette Soden, owner of Photos Onto DVD, had put similar signs up at Christmas when her business was at a different location and said she was continuing that tradition at Easter.

By Tuesday, Young's sign was gone. Soden was refusing to remove hers.

"Easter has not passed yet," she said.

Young, who did not respond to a request by The Associated Press for comment, has said he viewed Soden's message as a sign of religious intolerance for non-Christians. He told the Republican-American of Waterbury he put his sign up because he wanted to present an alternate view.

"My main point is that we share a parking lot, and what goes on in this parking lot represents not only hers, but both shops," he said. "What she does inside her business is her business."

Soden, who keeps a Bible on her countertop and displays on her wall a business partnership agreement between her and Jesus, said she was not bothered by Young's posted image of Satan.

"It didn't offend me, but I know it offended Christ," she said.

As if the two religious messages weren't enough, a third business owner jumped into the fray by putting out a sign touting civic virtue.

Roger DeVack, owner of Computer Repair Tech that shares retail space with Soden's business, said he briefly put out a sign urging motorists to honk for the American flag. The sign displayed the red, white and blue.

He saw nothing wrong with Soden's sign and was annoyed at the fight it prompted.

"It just seems asinine why people have to turn this into a slugfest between good and evil," he said.

Isn't it funny the one who put up the "satan" sign was the one who actually obeyed the law?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Honks twice* Thanks for

*Honks twice*

Thanks for the pic. Now,where's the third guy? 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wanna know Soden was

I wanna know Soden was forced to remove her sign as well (as she should have been forced and/or fined) or if the other guy just slunk off into the sunset and didn't stand his ground.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Jason DeVack (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
That "Other guy" Is my

That "Other guy" Is my Father, and He removed the sign immediately following the news of it being a Zoning Violation, So he didn't just slink out and disappear, he did what was right. Now, How about you assholes go fight across the sea's for us and our freedoms, and THEN come to a forum and post absolute Bullshit.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Jason DeVack wrote:That

Jason DeVack wrote:

That "Other guy" Is my Father, and He removed the sign immediately following the news of it being a Zoning Violation, So he didn't just slink out and disappear, he did what was right. Now, How about you assholes go fight across the sea's for us and our freedoms, and THEN come to a forum and post absolute Bullshit.

Lol.  What?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jason DeVack wrote:That

Jason DeVack wrote:

Seriously, WTF?  How about you grow a brain and some manners and then come back to the forum and NOT post absolute bullshit asshole. 

Hey why is it that all the idiots have these random numbers in their info section.

Jason DeVack (not verified)Posts: 4294964706Joined: 1969-12-31