User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I liked

MattShizzle wrote:
I liked this:

Why? It seems rather sophomoric.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Not really. It's rather

Not really. It's rather blunt but it makes perfect logical sense.

Trout
Trout's picture
User is offlineOffline
Logical sense? The article

Logical sense?

The article is titled, "Why Religion sucks", then it offers a tired take on the stone paradox, some ridiculously sophomoric ideas on prayer and caps off with a "religion has never done anything good for anybody" mantra. (BTW, chant that mantra while your looking for the atheist hospital)

Ridiculous.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Nothing wrong with saying

Nothing wrong with saying something sucks. The stone paradox still works. And there was nothing at all wrong with what he had to say about prayer.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Far too colorful. This is

Far too colorful. This is sophomoric indeed.

Trout
Trout's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Nothing

MattShizzle wrote:
Nothing wrong with saying something sucks.

I agree, but that article is the equivalent of saying, "There's no such thing as gravity . . . the earth sucks".

MattShizzle wrote:

The stone paradox still works.

Now I'm starting to realize why you think it's such a good article.

MattShizzle wrote:

And there was nothing at all wrong with what he had to say about prayer.

Other than the fact that the author of the article has no clue what the theistic concept of prayer is.

BTW, I looked around my town this afternoon, I didn't see an atheist soup kitchen . . . I wonder why?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trout wrote:MattShizzle

Trout wrote:
MattShizzle wrote:
Nothing wrong with saying something sucks.

I agree, but that article is the equivalent of saying, "There's no such thing as gravity . . . the earth sucks".

MattShizzle wrote:

The stone paradox still works.

Now I'm starting to realize why you think it's such a good article.

You really ought to refrain from taking anyone else to task for holding to a bad argument..... If you were really interested in seeing an end to bad arguments, you'd stop posting...

Matt, get a load of this:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/sapient/atheist_vs_theist/3358

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

connie sue lankheet (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
regilion stinks

i think this whole of god really sucks. their is no such thing as that and only an idiot would think so. they are only fooling themselvesif they do beleive in it. i am atheist and proud of it. no stupid god for me ever

leca (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
People believe in God

People believe in God because of 3 fears that they allow to rule their lives.  As we primates developed an ability to think abstractly and not only became self aware but became future aware and knew one day we would die, the fear of death caused us to invent a "soul" to mitigate the horrible thought of no longer existing at some point in time.  The soul needed a creator and redeemer, thus a god was invented also.  

As we became smarter, more analytical, and had significant knowledge to pass down from one generation to another we became very powerful indeed.  Rather than simply fighting over territory with the tribe next door, we could plan out their demise and carry it out.   But with power, also comes an awesome responsibility of which we feared.  Thus, when we did something horrible, like butcher the tribe next door, or if something horrible happened to us like we died of disease because we didn't know about proper sanitation, it was "god's will."  Rather than accept responsbility we now have someone we can blame it on.  A couple I know recently accidently got pregnant while the girl was on some major meds for an unrelated problem.  They're religious so won't consider an abortion even though the meds may have a terrible impact on the fetus.  Their response?  "God put us in this position"  It apparently had little to do with them.

The last fear is insidious.  It is a mental virus.  Early in the first milennia AD, there was a big political movement to try to convert as many people as possible to christianity.  So Hell was invented as a scare tactic.  If you didn't have faith, if you didn't convert, if you didn't pay money to the churches, there would be Hell to pay!  The movement hit critical mass and to this day, some of the first concepts children are taught is this horrible place called hell where the "loving god" sends you to be burned for all eternity if you don't blindly follow every doctrine.  In short, it is a brainwashing scheme perpetrated on people at the youngest age possible, which is why religious people stay religious.

So there you have it.  The causes of religious fanaticism and adherence:

(1) The fear of death

(2) The fear of responsibility

(3) The fear of Hell

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fear is by no means the only

Fear is by no means the only motivator. Greed and awe compete with fear.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Kevin (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Religion is a crock, faith is great

Religion is awful.  Faith is great.  Do we really buy into a book that a few guys wrote thousands of years ago?  And that book has since been rewritten and revised to suit their needs 10,000 times over?????  Do we really believe some magic hand created our rock we call Earth?  Get real, we are smarter than this.  If you believe in what the religions write you believe in Pinnochio, humpdy dumpty, etc.... 
Religion has always been about control, the few to control the many.  If we as a race, species will ever jump to the next level and progress we need to abolish religions. 

Now not all teachings in religion are bad (peace, care, concern for our fellow human, etc....) are good.  And they do help form a moral compass.  But a life code of religion is crippling to ourselves. 

Faith in what you want to believe in is a great thing.  I feel the big bang started it all, bacterium lives in all areas (cold harsh rocks in deep space).  That spawned our race race and others in the universe.  But something started that bang.  This could be the 1 millionth time the bang happened for all we know.  There is something that created it, beyond our understanding.  But to try and encompass that in a limited, primitive, regressive system like religion.  It goes against our being, our intuition, our advancements.  

Please, lets wake up.  Religion is only there to control the masses.  But our spiritual faith is grace.