Irrational Hindus

cam
User is offlineOffline
Irrational Hindus

This time it's Hindus committing violence in the name of their religion. The peaceful, enlightened yogi doesn't come to mind after reading this.

From ABC News

12 churches attacked in India, 1 dead

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:12pm AEDT

Hundreds of federal police have been deployed in India's eastern state of Orissa as Hindu hardliners burnt and damaged 12 churches in communal clashes, killing at least one person.

A reported injury of a local Hindu leader by a Christian group on Monday sparked two days of violence over Christmas in the Kandhamal district of southern Orissa by hardliners who accuse Christian groups of converting low-caste Hindus.

BB Mishra, a state inspector-general of police, says the situation is "tense but under control."

The hardliners, some linked to India's main Hindu nationalist opposition, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), have often accused Christian priests of bribing poor tribespeople and low-caste Hindus to change their faith.

Many of the churches targeted were makeshift places of worship, often built with thatched roofs and mud walls, local media report.

Orissa, now governed by a BJP ally, has witnessed some of the worst attacks on Christians in the past, including the murders of Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two children who were burned to death inside their car by a mob in 1999.

Christian groups say lower-caste Hindus who convert do so willingly to escape the highly stratified and oppressive Hindu caste system.

But several states ruled by the BJP have passed anti-conversion laws. Christians make up around 2 per cent of mainly Hindu India's 1.1 billion people.

- Reuters

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is nothing new, sadly

This is nothing new, sadly the indian sub-continent has been the scene of many religously inspired massacers over the years.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
cam wrote:

cam wrote:

This time it's Hindus committing violence in the name of their religion. The peaceful, enlightened yogi doesn't come to mind after reading this.

From ABC News

12 churches attacked in India, 1 dead

Posted Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:12pm AEDT

Hundreds of federal police have been deployed in India's eastern state of Orissa as Hindu hardliners burnt and damaged 12 churches in communal clashes, killing at least one person.

A reported injury of a local Hindu leader by a Christian group on Monday sparked two days of violence over Christmas in the Kandhamal district of southern Orissa by hardliners who accuse Christian groups of converting low-caste Hindus.

BB Mishra, a state inspector-general of police, says the situation is "tense but under control."

The hardliners, some linked to India's main Hindu nationalist opposition, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), have often accused Christian priests of bribing poor tribespeople and low-caste Hindus to change their faith.

Many of the churches targeted were makeshift places of worship, often built with thatched roofs and mud walls, local media report.

Orissa, now governed by a BJP ally, has witnessed some of the worst attacks on Christians in the past, including the murders of Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two children who were burned to death inside their car by a mob in 1999.

Christian groups say lower-caste Hindus who convert do so willingly to escape the highly stratified and oppressive Hindu caste system.

But several states ruled by the BJP have passed anti-conversion laws. Christians make up around 2 per cent of mainly Hindu India's 1.1 billion people.

- Reuters

Quote:

"A reported injury". We have a Caste system in America too. Otherwise we could, in theory, have Jewish president and Atheist vice president as per, "No religious test".

We have a Caste system here too. Ours is based on rich vs poor and republican vs democrat.

Of course Christians are second class citizens in a hindu country. GET A CLUE AMERICA, this is exactly what Christians do, politically, even if not violently, YOU STILL TREAT NON-CHRISTIANS(NOT JUST ATHEISTS|) as second class citizens, just like Hindus do to Christians in India.

NOW YOU KNOW HOW ATHEISTS FEEL HERE!

"Humans suffer at the bigotry of others? CALL CNN!"

NO SHIT!

The Hindu attacked was probibly injured and the complaint probibly lagit and the backlash by the Hindus was a sledghammer hitting a fly. And lost in the middle is that BOTH ARE FUCKING HUMAN!

But to downplay either transgression is to ignore the impact we as individuals can have on others even if the other over reacts.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   I am with the Hindus,

of course I deplore all violence and crazy fundys, but I side with the "good" Hindus, Xains seem a worse menace .... crazy humans .....

Check out some progressive Hindus here, some xlint essays , read

"Why a Hindu Accepts Christ
and Rejects Churchianity"

http://www.hinduism.co.za/jesus.htm

I ask , why are we still doing this,  damn it ... Fix the TV maybe .....