Groups criticize McCain for calling U.S. 'Christian nation'

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Groups criticize McCain for calling U.S. 'Christian nation'

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/01/mccain.christian.nation/index.html 

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Muslim and Jewish groups on Monday sharply criticized Sen. John McCain's comments that he would prefer a Christian president to lead the United States.

art.mccain.nh.ap.jpg

GOP presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain campaigns Sunday in Derry, New Hampshire.

The Arizona Republican's remarks came in an interview with Beliefnet, a Web site that covers religious issues and affairs.

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles, personally, I prefer someone who has a grounding in my faith," the GOP presidential hopeful told the Web site in an interview published Saturday.

McCain also said he agreed with a recent poll that 55 percent of Americans believe the U.S. Constitution establishes a Christian nation. "I would probably have to say yes, that the Constitution established the United States of America as a Christian nation," he said.

On Sunday night, McCain sought to clarify his remarks while campaigning in Hollis, New Hampshire. "What I do mean to say is the United States of America was founded on the values of Judeo-Christian values, which were translated by our founding fathers which is basically the rights of human dignity and human rights," he said.

"I believe that anyone can be president of the United States of any faith," McCain said, saying he was angry his remarks were misinterpreted but "there's nothing I can do about it."

Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said McCain's comments failed to recognize that Christianity is not the only faith with beliefs that support the concept of human rights.

"Sorry, Islam and other faiths have their basis in human dignity," Hooper said.

McCain's remarks also "go against the traditions of American pluralism and religious pluralism and inclusion," Hooper said.

Hooper's organization, a Washington-based Islamic civil rights and advocacy group, said it's trying to organize a group of Muslim leaders to meet with McCain.

The National Jewish Democratic Council, an advocacy group representing Jewish Democrats, also called on the Republican Party to denounce the remarks formally.

"Former maverick John McCain's statements were repugnant," the group's executive director, Ira N. Forman, said in a statement. "It's been sad watching him transform from political maverick to religious right mouthpiece."

Forman added, "Someone running for president ought to understand the Constitution a little better. Nowhere does it say the United States is a 'Christian' nation. How can we trust someone to uphold the Constitution who doesn't even know what is in it?"

advertisement

McCain's communication director, Jill Hazelbaker, issued a statement Sunday defending her candidate's comments: "Read in context, his interview with Beliefnet makes clear that people of all faiths are entitled to all the rights protected by the Constitution, including the right to practice their religion freely.

"In the interview he also observed that the values protected by the Constitution, by which he meant values such as respect for human life and dignity, are rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition. That is all he intended to say to the question, America is a Christian nation, and it is hardly a controversial claim." E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

CNN's Alexander Mooney, Sareena Dalla and Scott Anderson contributed to this report

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
First of all, Wow Second,

First of all, Wow

Second, "I believe that anyone can be president of the United States of any faith," McCain said, saying he was angry his remarks were misinterpreted but "there's nothing I can do about it." 

Interesting that it implies that one has to have faith to be able to be President.

*sigh* 

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I used to respect him. Not

I used to respect him. Not any more.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo wrote: First of all,

Gizmo wrote:

First of all, Wow

Second, "I believe that anyone can be president of the United States of any faith," McCain said, saying he was angry his remarks were misinterpreted but "there's nothing I can do about it."

Interesting that it implies that one has to have faith to be able to be President.

*sigh*

I don't think that's what he's saying.  

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right this moment as I type

Right this moment as I type I happen to be sitting on land that used to belong to the "Father of the Bill of Rights" and I think he'd be pretty damn pissed off...

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Gizmo

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

First of all, Wow

*sigh*

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I understand that its hard to say that if thats what hes saying or not, but I wouldn't be surprised.  Still,  thats not the only aspect thats sad about this story.  Several polls show that many would not vote for a qualified atheist.  That tells me that there are many who believe faith is required, which again *sigh*.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is also this

There is also this wonderful little quote that McCain said, according to this article:

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles ... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith," McCain said.

I find it rather frightening that a person's faith appears to be more of a factor than a person's ability to perform a job.  Yikes

If god takes life he's an indian giver

PhillyChief
PhillyChief's picture
User is offlineOffline
DailyKos had a great article

DailyKos had a great article on this:http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/9/29/202119/219

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: There is

pariahjane wrote:

There is also this wonderful little quote that McCain said, according to this article:

"I just have to say in all candor that since this nation was founded primarily on Christian principles ... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith," McCain said.

I find it rather frightening that a person's faith appears to be more of a factor than a person's ability to perform a job.  Yikes

The fool has just lost my vote.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.