What are we really doing??

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
What are we really doing??

I think if the Tentative Rules were used everywhere, we'd be much better off.

It just seems the RRS site is a boxing ring sometimes.   I'm not saying we should sugarcoat things on either side, but be a little gentler.  Honestly, do you think a person who's probablly grown up all their life with a belief, that they are 100% certain of, is going to listen to you if you're bashing them and telling them they're stupid???  Most likely not. And if they do, they're not going to admit it to themselves, because they don't want to be wrong.  You get them so stuck on proving you're wrong they don't care about truth anymore, whether conciously or not.  

Honestly, I think a good amount of us here get caught up in showing how high and mighty we are with our 'truth', and we forget that we're trying to help people.  We have nothing to prove to ourselves.

This is for theists and atheists alike. Take it how you like.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Takes all kinds... Just ask

Takes all kinds...

Just ask yourself who has gotten any media coverage for their atheism and remember no one here says there is only one way to do things.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote:

crushingstep7 wrote:

I think if the Tentative Rules were used everywhere, we'd be much better off.

It just seems the RRS site is a boxing ring sometimes. I'm not saying we should sugarcoat things on either side, but be a little gentler. Honestly, do you think a person who's probablly grown up all their life with a belief, that they are 100% certain of, is going to listen to you if you're bashing them and telling them they're stupid??? Most likely not. And if they do, they're not going to admit it to themselves, because they don't want to be wrong. You get them so stuck on proving you're wrong they don't care about truth anymore, whether conciously or not.

Honestly, I think a good amount of us here get caught up in showing how high and mighty we are with our 'truth', and we forget that we're trying to help people. We have nothing to prove to ourselves.

This is for theists and atheists alike. Take it how you like.

[MOD EDIT - personal attack removed due to Kill 'Em With Kindness Forum rules]

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's why we have

That's why we have different rules for different forums.

For those that prefer a gentler approach, we have this, the Kill 'Em With Kindness Forum.

For those who prefer a no-holds-barred, gloves-off approach, we have Atheist vs Theist. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
I don't really think

I don't really think anything is going to change the mind of a 100% devout theist.  I think the target are the people who are questioning, and perhaps plant a seed in the faithful.

From that front, there are many approaches that can be taken.  Agressive works for some, doesn't for others.

I hate to keep refering to them, but you didn't have a purely passive approach on the womans, gay, or black rights movements.  You need a balanced approach from all angles to draw the attention and get the message accross. 

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Really Vastet?

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
while there are some

while there are some atheists on this forum who treat theists far gentler than i would, there are also some atheists, here, who are practically gift wrapping ammunition for the theists, in the form of needlessly hostile commentary. there's a fine line between aggressive debate and angry ridicule.

and condescending denial only serves to prove this point.. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, and I'm definately not

Yeah, and I'm definately not saying you should gift wrap at all.