Atheist child that turned to a christian

holley
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheist child that turned to a christian

I've often heard stories of similar situations,but how do you explain this? This is quite amazing to watch,the girl was raised in an atheist home -then God worked through her at age 4 and now her family is christain......please click on the link

http://tinyurl.com/yxewot

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Old news.

Old news.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even a blind squirrel finds

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

*Shrugs* 

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ugh emotional drivel.

Ugh emotional drivel.

If this kid EVER watched Television she could have been exposed to the notion of god and heaven.

This kid have aunts, uncles, grandparents? Go to a nursery school?

Could have picked up ideas from anywhere.

And, uh, as for 'imagining heaven'? I used to imagine all kinds of things.

What's that old adage about kids and over-active imaginations?

Edit: and don't call her an 'atheist' child please.

A kid has no idea at age 4 what they're going to believe when they're old enough to decide. 

Ghost of Amityville
Theist
Ghost of Amityville's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm convinced that there is

I'm convinced that there is a great deal of the "grass is greener on the otherside of the fence" logic about these kinds of things. I've known people who were raised in a religious family who now are self-described secularists/atheists, and people who were raised in secular homes who are now devout in some organized religion.

I take pride in being a newb. I'm not all experienced and boring like the normies.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, my family is mostly

Well, my family is mostly christian but I became an atheist and now my family is starting to believe differently. Explain that.

A family from the south once thought burying money in the backyard was a good way to save cash, then one of the children started putting money in the bank and now most of the family have savings accounts. Explain that.

There were a couple of parents who were afraid of water had a child who took swimming lessons and then taught her parents to swim. Explain that.

My dad hated tacos at one time then I found out I really loved tacos and got him to try them. Now he loves tacos. Explain that.

Ghost of Amityville
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Oh yes, please compare God

Oh yes, please compare God and religion to tacos. That's not condescending in the least.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ghost of Amityville

Ghost of Amityville wrote:
Oh yes, please compare God and religion to tacos. That's not condescending in the least.

Oh please! You want to tell me an anecdotal argument from emotion is not condescending? Give me a break. One conversion either way(theist to atheist or atheist to theist) proves nothing. 

holley
Theist
User is offlineOffline
atheist child

Well,she was raised atheist. (Just as people would say that my children would be defined christian because they are raised that way.)She didn't know anything different.

*"A kid has no idea at age 4 what they're going to believe when they're old enough to decide. "*

Lots of people who were/are famous start when they are very young (pastors,scientists,doctors...they were interested in that) doing whatever they do.Look at Tiger Woods:BTW:don't gays and transgender people say that all the time?They will say they are "born" gay or knew that they were ,when they were very young.

Anyways,I guess I saw the beauty in this story;I had no idea what I was up against when I came to this site! It seems atheist people are closed minded  about faith,hope,comfort,or spirituality (maybe not all-but from what I've read here-it just seems that way).

Even though I am a christian,I came here eager to learn everything about atheists,the science that backs up why atheists believe certain things,etc.I had an open mind,because I wanted to be as informed as I could.Maybe even to challenge myself in my faith.But right now I feel very sad.

I guess the girl (at the time 4 yrs. old) could've seen something on t.v.(seems like her parents wouldn't let her though) but,I have 4 yr. olds and they don't do things like that.She could've been influenced I guess by other family/friends,but what about the parents?Wouldn't they have already addressed that issue and explained it to her?

"History is written by the winners" - WTS

Ghost of Amityville
Theist
User is offlineOffline
If you find the OP in this

If you find the OP in this thread to be condescending, then I can see that, but you don't have to be the same way. You know two wrongs don't make a right.

I take pride in being a newb. I'm not all experienced and boring like the normies.

Tyl3r04
User is offlineOffline
I imagine that she had seen

I imagine that she had seen what she saw that suggested god somewhere, and then her over-active imagination took place. Although, I appluad her artistic ability, that is genuine at least.

"Why would God send his only son to die an agonizing death to redeem an insignificant bit of carbon?"-Victor J. Stenger.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ghost of Amityville

If you find the OP in this thread to be condescending, then I can see that, but you don't have to be the same way. You know two wrongs don't make a right.

But it does make things equal.... 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
holley wrote: I guess the

holley wrote:
I guess the girl (at the time 4 yrs. old) could've seen something on t.v.(seems like her parents wouldn't let her though) but,I have 4 yr. olds and they don't do things like that.She could've been influenced I guess by other family/friends,but what about the parents?Wouldn't they have already addressed that issue and explained it to her?

She is FOUR.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Being gay is COMPLETELY

Being gay is COMPLETELY different than being taught a religion. 

People learn about god through other people.

As for people being talented, they were introduced to whatever that talent was and pursued it.  There was still in introduction.

And we're not being closed-minded. She's just a little girl and this in no way proves the existence of god. 

I'm sorry you feel sad, but sometimes people don't agree with other people.  It happens.  I don't think that is being mean to you at all.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

holley
Theist
User is offlineOffline
kids

I have 5 kids:14 ,9,6 and twins that are 4.

Well, what I meant by that was,if you don't want you child to pick up something from somewhere, you would moinitor them.But nowadays I guess that doesn't apply as much,most parents don't really do that . But,if you live a certain way or have a belief system in your home,wouldn't a parent want to talk to that child about it?

Also,I don't know if you saw the drawing she did(it was a fast clip) but it was really good.It had her age on it as 4 yrs old.

I'm sorry if I've been offensive to anyone-everyone is entitled to respect ,and the way they believe.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
holley wrote: I've often

holley wrote:

I've often heard stories of similar situations,but how do you explain this?

How do I explain it?  I don't.  Ask a psychiatrist.  Do you think this represents proof of your god's existence?  It is not clear to me why you posted this.  What do you need explained?

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ghost of Amityville

How's your sister, Polly, Mr. Anna? 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

holley
Theist
User is offlineOffline
no answers

I guess nothing explained really,but just thought...JFSAG!

From the sound of it ,most of you GIGGLED!

I can't PROVE that God does exsit,but so far(from my understanding),science can't disprove he doesn't.Science  is also theroies right?No one is alive today that can actually answer all questions(nobody knows cause no one saw things before).

Just for the record,I didn't come to this site to convert anyone(seems if I tried I wouldn't have a chance in **** anyways!) or start any wars-just mainly to learn about something iIhad no clue in!I'm still learnig,trying to absorb everything,so if I'm wrong just let me know.

I don't think I'll be posting here anymore(probally just reading  everything on here still!)-just doing my own DEEP THOUGHTS.This was truely an experience though-thanks to everyone whose shared and helped me a long the way!Blessings,Holley.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
holley wrote: I guess

holley wrote:

I guess nothing explained really,but just thought...JFSAG!

Sorry, I don't understand what JFSAG means. I am too old to keep up with initialese.

holley wrote:
I can't PROVE that God does exsit,but so far(from my understanding),science can't disprove he doesn't.Science is also theroies right?No one is alive today that can actually answer all questions(nobody knows cause no one saw things before).

True, however, I will not plug a god in as the answer to the unknown.

holley wrote:
Just for the record,I didn't come to this site to convert anyone(seems if I tried I wouldn't have a chance in **** anyways!) or start any wars-just mainly to learn about something iIhad no clue in!I'm still learnig,trying to absorb everything,so if I'm wrong just let me know.

It is not wrong to learn about something. Many come to this site and treat atheists as though they are sub-human. This causes some problems as you can well imagine. I for one, do not go to theist sites and treat them as though they are morons for believing something I do not. If you have questions, ask them. You might not like the answers but you will get answers.

holley wrote:
I don't think I'll be posting here anymore(probally just reading everything on here still!)-just doing my own DEEP THOUGHTS.This was truely an experience though-thanks to everyone whose shared and helped me a long the way!Blessings,Holley.

Your choice.

Nimitz68
Nimitz68's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well you have to remember

Well you have to remember that theists think just the opposite happens as well.

One day you're walking down the street all fat, dumb, and happy with the jesus in your heart and BAM! Satan flies up your butt and takes over your life!

So I guess they're consistent in their delusions.

But having in-laws of my own, I'd look at the grandparents. They're sneaky. Laughing out loud

4 year olds don't just spew this stuff out on their own. Children are little parrots at that age. I bet grandma and grandpa took this kid to Sunday school on the sly.

Ever "hang-ten" on the bow of a nuclear powered aircraft carrier at 30+ knots?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The tone of some of the

The tone of some of the posts in the thread (you know who you are) is NOT acceptable for the Kill 'Em With Kindness Forum.

You may disagree, but do it with a respectful tone.

Something may be said that gets your scruff in a tangle, but bite the bullet, buckeroos, and BE POLITE AND RESPECTFUL.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Noor
User is offlineOffline

holley wrote:

I've often heard stories of similar situations,but how do you explain this? This is quite amazing to watch,the girl was raised in an atheist home -then God worked through her at age 4 and now her family is christain......please click on the link

Same thing was posted at FTT. Here's one of the replies:

Andrew Carmichael wrote:
Right brain, Left brain thing.  Something I learned in neuro-psychology.

Her "prodigy" title clearly comes from her right brain.  Art skills.  Visions of God.  Savants of Math *feel* answers instead of *thinking* answers.

Those stronger in right brain functions tend to be religious.  They "feel" instead of "think".

Those stronger in left brain functions tend to be atheistic.  They "think" instead of "feel".

Logic (Left) combats Faith (Right) for control of your genetic predisposition to belief or non-belief.  Although exercising either the right or the left brain will environmentally change your predisposition.

So... what would be amazing is if a left brain prodigy saw visions of God.  However, that is highly improbable.

So this... a big deal?  Not at all.  It is almost inevitable that a right-brained prodigy becomes religious.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
The thing about this is if

The thing about this is if you listen to it, it sounds like yeah she was raised by someone who was an atheist, yet religion was never discussed and shes been converted.  What that means is (as far as im concerned) is she never really thought of the question to begin with and then when her daughter started doing this stuff, somehow God popped in.

I find it really sad bordering on tragic when I hear these type of stories for many reasons but one of which ill touch on.  Its unfortunate that this girl, who it looks like does some very beautiful art and music and may be what most would consider a prodigy, and instead of giving her the credit its being given up to god.  I wish people would realize that when they do good (or bad) that its themselves that did it.   

nonbobblehead
Theist
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote:Even

The Patrician wrote:

*Shrugs* 

But a blind squirrel cannot make a watch.

He could find one already made, but that's it.

0 x 0 = Atheism. Something from nothing? Ahhh no.
And Karl, religion is not the opiate of the people, opium is. Visit any modern city in the western world and see.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
nonbobblehead wrote: The

nonbobblehead wrote:
The Patrician wrote:

*Shrugs* 

But a blind squirrel cannot make a watch.

He could find one already made, but that's it.

It was sarcasm. 

ABx
User is offlineOffline
I'd be almost willing to

I'd be almost willing to bet that the kid was describing the vivid pictures she was seeing to someone with influence (teacher, grandparent, friend's parent, etc.) and that person said "Oh, that would be god!", and then proceeded to show her pictures. The kid has a lot of talent, but the pictures of Jesus are quite stereotypical. I'm sure that if she was an Indian child, the paintings would be of Hindu gods.

It's really kind of too bad, IMO. If she had been encouraged instead to stretch her imagination ever further, I'd bet she could come up with some truely unique and excellent work (perhaps surrealist) that would have potential to go quite far.  

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline

holley wrote:

Nothing that can't be explained by an overactive imagination and some basic skill in artistry.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
holley wrote:

holley wrote:

How extreemly mundain to make such an ordinary claim that a spounge would soak up water.

CALL CNN! THIS SHOULD BE BREAKING NEWS! A KID BAUGHT A MYTH!

[content removed for crudeness in the Kill 'Em With Kindness forum]

This is about as amazing a child saying, "I found Allah". Where did you find him? Was he underneith the couch?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Sodium Pentothal
Sodium Pentothal's picture
User is offlineOffline
holley wrote:

holley wrote:
God worked through her
Proof?

P.S. I didn't watch the video, but tell me if the video actually provides above proof.

"If I don't think something can be explained conventionally, it must be magic. And magic comes from God!" -everyday religious person

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Holly you said a few times

Holly you said a few times something to the effect of "what about the parents? Wouldn't they have already addressed that issue and explained it to her?"

Well it isn't that simple, I lot of atheist I have talked to say they don't plan on "teaching" their child atheism. I'm going to teach my child logic if I ever have one, but a parents position does not make the child automatically have the same.

In the video the voice over said the family was atheist and god wasn't talked about. If god wasn't talked about that makes me think the girl wasn't brought up to be anything. It also doesn't say anything about why/how her parents were atheist, I know some atheists don't look at any reason in their position. On her website her mother is described as an "atheistic stay-at-home Lithuanian homemaker" but doesn't really state her dad's position nor does it say how she "[brought] the family to God."

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sodium Pentothal

Sodium Pentothal wrote:

holley wrote:
God worked through her
Proof?

P.S. I didn't watch the video, but tell me if the video actually provides above proof.

It doesn't.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Andyy
Andyy's picture
User is offlineOffline
She's a false

She's a false prophet!!!

John 1:18 "No man has seen God at any time."

Exodus 33:20 "Thou can't see my face: for there shall be no man see me and live."

Sodium Pentothal
Sodium Pentothal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Sodium Pentothal wrote:

holley wrote:
God worked through her
Proof?

It doesn't.
Just as I thought. And I say this out of extensive personal experience too, as I used to be a Christian for the longest time (church leader and Sunday school teacher). This reckless jumping to conclusions is indicative to the general rampant Christian attitude I tried to capture in my signature:

Quote:
If *I* don't think something can be explained conventionally, it must be magic. And magic comes from God!

holley, what do you have to say to this?

"If I don't think something can be explained conventionally, it must be magic. And magic comes from God!" -everyday religious person