Are atheists against all Religion, Or just Christianity?

Cathal
User is offlineOffline
Are atheists against all Religion, Or just Christianity?

As a Neo-Pagan I have been wondering this for a while. So I thought I would go straight to the source. So as the Title suggests, I want to know are Atheists against all Religions, or just Christianity?

The reason I ask, is because not all Religions are as forceful as Monotheism (especially Christianity) when it comes to trying to win converts. Some Religions, like my own, don't even try to win Converts. Instead they believe that if a person is meant to find the Religion they will find it on their own.

Further, not every Religion damns peoples souls to an eternity of torment. Celtic Paganism for example has no concept of a painful afterlife. You are either Reincarnated, or are allowed to live in the Land of Youth for a spiritual lifetime (whatever that happens to be). So I see no reason to assume that all forms of Religion are the same in regards to how they view the afterlife.

Finally, I often see people using the word Religion, when the word Christianity, or Islam specifically would be more appropriate. So I have to wonder is that the case when Atheists are arguing against Religion? Is their tirade really against all Religions, Or are they actually ranting against Christianity or some other Monotheistic Religion specifically and failing to use the name of that Religion specifically?

Sorry to be a bother, but I want to know the answer to this. I hope I haven't been to much of a waste of time... and I hope that I meet the "Killing them with Kindness" forum's nicety requirement? 

From Falias was brought the Stone of Fál which was located in Tara.
From Gorias was brought the spear which Lugh had.
From Findias was brought the sword of Núadu.
From Murias was brought the Dagda's cauldron.

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists aren't really

Atheists aren't really against anything religious.  We simply don't believe in God or gods regardless of the particular brand. 

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Cathal
User is offlineOffline
I used the word against

I used the word against based on what I have seen in the Rational Responders videos... I suppose it was to harsh of a word. I guess a better phrase would have been... well I don't know what a better phrase would have been...

From Falias was brought the Stone of Fál which was located in Tara.
From Gorias was brought the spear which Lugh had.
From Findias was brought the sword of Núadu.
From Murias was brought the Dagda's cauldron.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am an atheist regarding

I am an atheist regarding ALL religions I am aware of. I am atheist/agnostic of the ones I am ignorant of.

{edit for clarity} 

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
As an atheist, I really

As an atheist, I really don't care what deluded god-beliefs you may have. I simply don't share them. And I'm quite content to live and let live until and unless someone starts trying to shove their beliefs down my throat through politics. If, as you claim, neo-pagans are not interested in forcing others to obey their creed, then all is well and we don't have disagree except for fun.

To answer the title question, though, yes, atheists do no believe in ANY god of ANY religion.

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline
An atheist is a person who

An atheist is a person who doesn't believe there is a god, other than that we are all over the place on other matters. I speak only for myself here.

The big three monotheistic religions are of more harm to society than Paganism. If everyone were Pagan then the world would be a much better place...here comes the but, I am against everything that is not true and Paganism clearly doesn't stand up to honest scrutiny.

Paganism is not without fault in some of societies ills as well. I think any belief in an afterlife cheapens this life and is a detriment to humankind. I also think that any belief that makes people think that the course of history is not up to us, and entirely us, is a detriment to humankind.

I made a show about some of the reasons I speak out against religion.(Warning:A small amount of harsh language.) Several of the points I made only pertain to the three monotheistic religions, but several pertain to Paganism as well.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I recognize that not all

I recognize that not all religions are created equal. Some religious beliefs, whatever their basis, are benign. Others facilitate and justify antisocial attitudes and behaviors. I happen to view Christianity and Islam as two of the most aggressive and culturally destructive forces in the history of the world. As this trend has continued, and the stakes have only been raised, these religions are of more concern to atheists, for more practical reasons than stamping out what they view as irrational beliefs for the sake of principle alone.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am against coersion by

I am against coersion by religion for political or military gain. I am against suicide bombers and abortion clinic bombers who harm others because they think their god told them so.

I am against laws ripped out of holy books used as public policy and common law. Weither it be in Iran or America.

That in no way means that I disire to opress those who hold beliefs I find to be in error. Mutual debate outside of government institutions or puplic law should be in order. I do not disire to monopolize what it means to be free, or the disire to think for oneself.

There are 6 billion people on this planet. There is no way alll will always agree. But what we can do is refrain from telling our neighbors they have to be clones of us. Dissagreements or even dislike of someone or something should never lead to bloodshed. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, cathal! It looks

Welcome, cathal!

It looks like you do, indeed, meet this forum's "nice" requirements.  Wink

The main things in this forum are no cussing, no insults and no name calling.  These threads are heavily mod-ed to make sure everyone remains civil at all times.

As for your question, it looks like others have already answered.

But that doesn't mean you should leave!!  We'd love to hear your perspective on things in our discussions. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.