So here's my deal...

l.mcbryar
Theist
Posts: 28
Joined: 2007-02-22
User is offlineOffline
So here's my deal...

Everyone on this site wants to know why, or how, can a christian believe in a God, more specificlly, the God of Christianity and Jesus. Well, i have a few questions for those who believe in this thought called evolution. These are why i can't believe that we came from nothing. im only seemingly "attacking" evolutionists because i have the most questions for them. I read that there was a debate about proving and disproving, well, here's my crack at disproval:

1. If we came from evolution, what was the first thing to exist?
2. According to the evolutionist idealisms, there had to be a need for something to evolve, so i propose: what caused the need for something to exist? what sparked this change and flow to create creatures?
3. I know that it isn't the only form of evolution, but this is the most common: humans evolved from apes (general term). if this is the case, why are there still apes, gorillas, and monkeys? why aren't they changing still?

So here is my questions. if i can get someone to talk about it, lets go. these are questions i'm not sure if you've delt with, but i'm not a normal thinking person. I may be in this Christian religion, but i am a free thinking human who has a few questions. Thanks for your time and input, and i am going to wait to see what is said.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote:Vastet now

l.mcbryar wrote:
Vastet now you are being sinical. i seriously ask you to look back at a posting slightly before yours by family_guy. unfortunalty, he explains your infinity perfectly. there will always be a finite answer. and because the idea of infinity is just a concept, it therefor cannot happen, disproving that the earth had to have a beginning.

Obviously the earth had a beginning. Anyone who would argue otherwise is ignorant. That does not mean existance had a beginning. And infinity EXISTS. I've proven this to you with two seperate examples. You have done nothing to disprove them except repeat the same tired old crap you spouted and I refuted already. You are wrong. Period. End of story. I'll no longer discuss this point with you out of pity for your incapability to understand reality.

l.mcbryar wrote:
And duh on the concept of all the religions not mentioning Jesus. they werent around. Notice the fact that christianity is just 2000 years old...not even yet. so duh.

You somehow skip over the fact that the bible claims to be able to predict the future. Since god can do that, he would have mentioned the coming of a saviour in previous religions. Duh.

l.mcbryar wrote:
Greek/Roman mythology were long since forgotten,

Again you lie. There are people worshipping Zues as we speak.

l.mcbryar wrote:
and wicca is just on its own.

Your opinion is invalid. Wicca is one of the oldest religions in history. It has far more credibility to it than Christianity does. Though that's not saying much.

l.mcbryar wrote:
and do not criticize me on wicca, i know enough about it, and it is in a seperate place.

Obviously you don't know about it. It's a religion like any other.

l.mcbryar wrote:
That arguement is pathetic.

No, but yours is.

l.mcbryar wrote:
you want to be honest, real, and knowing? then do me a favor, use relivent information.

I have.

l.mcbryar wrote:
and you have yet to diprove infinity, because you cant.

Bald faced liar.

l.mcbryar wrote:
No matter what, you will always have a finite number. so please, bring into the account something worth wild.

Show me an end to numbers and you'll have proven the non existance of infinity. Go ahead, find it.

jmm wrote:
No, it's not hard to understand. It just surprises me that your conclusion is so simple. Nothing wrong with simplicity, but I guess I was expecting something different.

I guess I was expecting some profound explanation on the origin of matter, but all I got was, "It was always there, it will always be there."

It was kind of like discovering the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain.

That depends on your point of view. I think if you look into the wizards eyes you'll be mesmerized by all the wonder within.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


l.mcbryar
Theist
Posts: 28
Joined: 2007-02-22
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: l.mcbryar

Vastet wrote:

l.mcbryar wrote:
Greek/Roman mythology were long since forgotten,

Again you lie. There are people worshipping Zues as we speak.

Who said anything about the fact that it isnt in practice. does this even make the top religions of the world? quite frankly, the people who worship these gods are small in number that they dont have the influence they did in the great roman empire. quite looking for ways to twist my words

l.mcbryar wrote:
and wicca is just on its own.

Your opinion is invalid. Wicca is one of the oldest religions in history. It has far more credibility to it than Christianity does. Though that's not saying much.

ah, so no you say my opinion is invcalid because i dont classify this religion with any religion that is in debate? well you need to quite looking into it so far. this religion deals with concepts and many other facits that are not related to any religion here. i will gladly talk wicca. this isnt the place seeing as im talking about God and Christianity. Believe this, ive got my fair share of knowledge. Plenty of my old freinds were wicca, until they couldnt answer fundemantal questions. This is another attempt gone south. and i apologize for the misunderstanding.

l.mcbryar wrote:
and do not criticize me on wicca, i know enough about it, and it is in a seperate place.

Obviously you don't know about it. It's a religion like any other.

never said it wasnt

l.mcbryar wrote:
and you have yet to diprove infinity, because you cant.

Bald faced liar.

l.mcbryar wrote:
No matter what, you will always have a finite number. so please, bring into the account something worth wild.

Show me an end to numbers and you'll have proven the non existance of infinity. Go ahead, find it.

here is the problem with your response, the only way to DISPROVE infinty is for you to prove that there is an end. i can keep adding zeros to any number. therefor infinity cannot exist. prove to me the point where in numbers infinty can take place. for infinty to work, you have to be able to give it multiple values. what you are telling me is that infinty represents all numbers. problem is, infinity cannot represent all numbers because infinity is supposed to be a number itself, as defined by math in general. therefor 1 would have to equal 2 and vice versa. this you know to be true just as much as i.

Psalms 74:10


l.mcbryar
Theist
Posts: 28
Joined: 2007-02-22
User is offlineOffline
your claims

here you go
you say to be open minded and free thinkers.
lets take the open minded test
1. do you give room for the possibility for a God to exist?
L.mcbryar: yes
2. do you see that changes happen in animals?
L.mcbryar: yes
3. are you willing to listen to others to hear their side of the story and try to educate rather than tell them they are wrong and not give reasons why?
L.mcbryar: yes

Well folks answering three of three means that i am willing to give you a chance.

How many did you answer yes to? If you answer no to any of these, you should take a look at where you stand in being "open-minded."

Psalms 74:10


Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
Posts: 239
Joined: 2006-12-04
User is offlineOffline
is it me, or is L.mcbryer

is it me, or is L.mcbryer completely irrelevent?

(just wondering ...)


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Again folks. This is the

Again folks.

This is the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

NO insults. NO personal attacks. NO name calling.

Please pay attention to the rules of this thread. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: Who said

l.mcbryar wrote:
Who said anything about the fact that it isnt in practice. does this even make the top religions of the world? quite frankly, the people who worship these gods are small in number that they dont have the influence they did in the great roman empire. quite looking for ways to twist my words

Popularity is not credibility. Every religion has spent time as a minority. Most of them stay there. The fact that some don't is irrelevant to their veracity. Quit dodging.

l.mcbryar wrote:
ah, so no you say my opinion is invcalid because i dont classify this religion with any religion that is in debate?

As far as that goes yes. Every religion is a religion. They believe in a god/gods just like you do. Christianity believes in magical prayer, Wiccans believe in a more direct magic. There's no difference at all.

l.mcbryar wrote:
well you need to quite looking into it so far. this religion deals with concepts and many other facits that are not related to any religion here.

So what? They're still a religion. No religion copies another completely. Every religion has things that no other deals with.

l.mcbryar wrote:
i will gladly talk wicca. this isnt the place seeing as im talking about God and Christianity.

You're the one who tried to seperate Wicca from the other religions I mentioned, when there is no basis from which to seperate them. They are all equally false.

l.mcbryar wrote:
Believe this, ive got my fair share of knowledge. Plenty of my old freinds were wicca, until they couldnt answer fundemantal questions. This is another attempt gone south. and i apologize for the misunderstanding.

No religion has answered fundamental questions. Wicca is hardly alone.

l.mcbryar wrote:
never said it wasnt

You said it isn't comparable, and it is.

l.mcbryar wrote:
here is the problem with your response, the only way to DISPROVE infinty is for you to prove that there is an end. i can keep adding zeros to any number. therefor infinity cannot exist.

This is the problem with your response. You assume infinity has a specific numerical value, it doesn't. It never has. It never will. It's definition doesn't allow it. It is a descriptive of an unending path. Unending paths exist, which I have proven again and again and again. Which means the descriptive is accurate and exists. You're making quite the fool of yourself by continuing to show your ignorance. Give it up. You're wrong. It's like you're trying to argue that the earth is flat. It's pathetic.

l.mcbryar wrote:
here you go
you say to be open minded and free thinkers.
lets take the open minded test
1. do you give room for the possibility for a God to exist?
L.mcbryar: yes
2. do you see that changes happen in animals?
L.mcbryar: yes
3. are you willing to listen to others to hear their side of the story and try to educate rather than tell them they are wrong and not give reasons why?
L.mcbryar: yes

Well folks answering three of three means that i am willing to give you a chance.

How many did you answer yes to? If you answer no to any of these, you should take a look at where you stand in being "open-minded."

How amusingly biased. Lets add something to show how close minded YOU are.

4: Do you allow for the possibility of a god not to exist?
L.mcbryar: no

While I answer yes to all 4.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
Quote: i can keep adding

Quote:
i can keep adding zeros to any number. therefor infinity cannot exist.

this sounds contradicting.

"I can keep on going, therefore I cannot keep on going." 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


l.mcbryar
Theist
Posts: 28
Joined: 2007-02-22
User is offlineOffline
wow, this is redundant

ok, here is the deal on infinity. the definition of infinity is a continuation in numaric value with representation of every number. the idea of giving a constant zero only shows that there is an finality to all numbers and ideas. Infinity represents all numbers which is a mathematical problem. Therefore the idea of infinity is falice. look into the idea yourself.

Sapient. if it really matters that i said the earth, then here, apply all of that post to matter instead. Hope that clears up any confusion there. ill be more specific in my responses on things like that.

and ophios, what do you maen its contridicting? im just proving that there will always be a definite number. adding zeros just means there is a definative response to a lack of infinity.

Psalms 74:10


Spewn
Posts: 98
Joined: 2007-01-30
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: ok, here

l.mcbryar wrote:
ok, here is the deal on infinity. the definition of infinity is a continuation in numaric value with representation of every number. the idea of giving a constant zero only shows that there is an finality to all numbers and ideas. Infinity represents all numbers which is a mathematical problem. Therefore the idea of infinity is falice. look into the idea yourself.

 

I didn't want to get in on this thread, because you're completely dead-set in your idea of infinity.  No matter how large you make a number, you can always add to it(you yourself have said this).  That means that there are an infinite number of possible combinations of digits; if your posit is that there are *not* an infinite number of combinations, then tell me, how many are there?


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: ok, here

l.mcbryar wrote:
ok, here is the deal on infinity. the definition of infinity is a continuation in numaric value with representation of every number. the idea of giving a constant zero only shows that there is an finality to all numbers and ideas. Infinity represents all numbers which is a mathematical problem. Therefore the idea of infinity is falice. look into the idea yourself.

False statement based in ignorance. Take your own advice and look into the idea yourself, for once.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


l.mcbryar
Theist
Posts: 28
Joined: 2007-02-22
User is offlineOffline
please... i beg of you all

if you will look at my entire posting. infinity has to represent all numbers and their possibilities. how is that possible. write, call, or go and talk to any credible math professor and find out what they say. Ah!!! its so easy. believe me. the concept of infinity is false. the part about it representing all numbers kills it.
Meaning:
1=2, 2=1, 1=3, 3=1.... and so on. we know that 1=1, 2=2.... one number cannot represent all others.

Psalms 74:10


zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2006-11-16
User is onlineOnline
Quick question...how many

Quick question...how many numbers are there altogether?


Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
Posts: 239
Joined: 2006-12-04
User is offlineOffline
How does it serve the

How does it serve the theist to posit that there is not infinity?  Isn't a deity supposed to be infinite?  In otherwords, what is the 900 lbs. gorilla in the room?

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com


Spewn
Posts: 98
Joined: 2007-01-30
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: if you

l.mcbryar wrote:
if you will look at my entire posting. infinity has to represent all numbers and their possibilities. how is that possible. write, call, or go and talk to any credible math professor and find out what they say.

Funny, because my calculus professor agrees with me.  As does the rest of the faculty of applied mathematics(I have not asked each professor, but many, and also read texts written by previous staff).

 I've asked you a simple question;  If infinity does not exist, then how many combinations of the digits 0 through 9 are there?


Topher
Topher's picture
Posts: 513
Joined: 2006-09-10
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: 1. If we

l.mcbryar wrote:
1. If we came from evolution, what was the first thing to exist?

Nothing to do with evolution. The study of the origin of life is abiogenisis. Evolution explains the development of life - the changes in species and speciation - after it arose.

I suggest you look up the Evolution 101 podcast, which are short 10 minuet or so shows on a specific topic of evolution aimed at the layman.

l.mcbryar wrote:
2. According to the evolutionist idealisms, there had to be a need for something to evolve, so i propose: what caused the need for something to exist? what sparked this change and flow to create creatures?

No need needed. Why must there be a need?

l.mcbryar wrote:
3. I know that it isn't the only form of evolution,

Not sure what you mean by this.

l.mcbryar wrote:
but this is the most common: humans evolved from apes (general term).

No. We are apes. We didn’t evolve from them, we evolved along with them.

Great apes: gorillas, humans, chimps and orangutans.

The great apes all evolved from a common ancestor, that is to say, this common ancestor evolved along four separate ‘paths’, like the branches of a tree.

l.mcbryar wrote:
if this is the case, why are there still apes, gorillas, and monkeys? why aren't they changing still?

See above.

A species evolving doesn’t necessarily mean the ‘parent species’ ceases to exist. For example, should part of the population of a species remain in its original environment, while another part of the population migrated to another environment, the latter population would consequently evolve according to its new environment.

Why does this happen?

Survival + Natural Selection = Evolution.

Those best adapted to their environment are more likely to survive, this they pass there genes to the future generations. Which means the genes of those who do not survive die out.

Think of it like this: On an island there exists two species of bird:

Species A: small beaked bird.

Species B: larges beaked bird.

There are 1,000,000 of species A and only 600,000 of species B (for argument sake).

The food supply easily obtained by the birds with large beaks, thus species B is better suited for the environment (although in another environment the larger beaked bird might not be better for multiple reasons, but in this environment, it is). As it is better adapted to the environment (i.e. better at getting the food) it is better at surviving. So despite species B being a smaller population than species A, will ‘win’ in the long run, and the trait of larger beaks will be passed to future generations due to the survival of the larger beaked birds. Smaller beaks will being to cease over time in this environment.

It might seem like commonsense that the larger population will beat the smaller population, but what really matters is the survival traits of the species. Those with better survival traits will be more likely to survive, regardless of their population size.

Of course, this is only on the matter of beaks and food with regards to birds. In actual fact, a whole host of factors play into it, such as predictors, nature etc etc.

(Anyone more informed, feel free to correct any mistakes, should I have made any)

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" -- Carl Sagan


GodlessLitany
GodlessLitany's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2007-02-16
User is offlineOffline
So much to answer, so

So much to answer, so little time. I'll skim over some things I want to put a bit into here-so much has been said already.

If the concept of infinity is false, you have completely destroyed your theory of a deity.

I'm not necessarily inclined to believe that "matter has always been here," but I think it's one of the best currently postulated theories. To our understanding, matter can not be created or destroyed. That's basic science-we all know that, and there is no reason yet brought forth as to why we should not accept this completely. So, tell me then why it's so difficult to think of matter always being here?

Ah, we also have the concept that, to our knowledge, all things have a beginning and an end-and we also assume that the universe started somewhere. Science doesn't have all the answers yet, but I am inclined to believe that it eventually will. Not in my lifetime, or my grandchildren's granchildren's lifetimes, but eventually-barring us destroying ourselves first (which may well happen).

I don't need to point out how fallacious your argument, which anti-evolutionists of all ages seem to be in love with, of "if we came from apes, why are there still apes?"

We did not come from THESE apes. We came from many species besides those of the ape variety, the apes were a product of natural selection, coming from other ape-like species further back in the line and on and on until they go back to not being mammals and further, all the way back to single-celled organisms, and perhaps even further, who knows?

Science does not and never has claimed to have all the answers-that's what religion does. Science grows, changes and progresses while religion seeks to stay the same. It's a cop out.

You talk about infinity being false and all these other things for all these reasons that you think are so well thought out, yet you believe in the greatest and least supported theory in human history? Even if evolution and all other manner of theories that explain how we got to where we are today were difficult to understand, which they shouldn't be, and were unlikely and un-supported, which they are not, they wouldn't begin to hold a candle to what you're claiming. This is elementary, of course, but I felt I should come to it.

And, in case it actually needs mentioning, all life is continueing to evolve.

 

I wanted to say more but the points have been made, and I don't want to repeat others poorly. You claim to want to learn but from what I've read, you're pretty much set in your beliefs and never intended to budge on them no matter what when you made this thread. Read some books-evolution is not difficult to understand, and neither is the concept of infinity.

 

I will post more when or if I have more to work with. Hope this wasn't too abrasive or deviating.

Humanity needs compassion and knowledge-an end to bigotry and undue ignorance. Religion stands in the way of these and my other ideals so strongly that I can't think of a stance apart from atheism that will allow me to feel like a decent human being.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: if you

l.mcbryar wrote:
if you will look at my entire posting. infinity has to represent all numbers and their possibilities. how is that possible. write, call, or go and talk to any credible math professor and find out what they say. Ah!!! its so easy. believe me. the concept of infinity is false. the part about it representing all numbers kills it.
Meaning:
1=2, 2=1, 1=3, 3=1.... and so on. we know that 1=1, 2=2.... one number cannot represent all others.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


sonofthemorningstar
sonofthemorningstar's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-03-10
User is offlineOffline
I do not believe in

I do not believe in evolution.

I do not believe in God.

Evolution is logical. But it is not universal. It seems to make sense, we may very well have evolved from apes. But that does not explain the origin of apes. And many other creatures. Have you ever looked at a bird fly? Such beautiful creatures are not made by chance. A land born animal's cells cannot adapt to weave through wind and push the boundaries of physics. Somehow, Birds were made whole. Perhaps over millions of years, they have evolved. But a lizard nor rodent can think so intelligently as to yearn for the skies, let alone its cells.

But, as from what I have seen. Atheists are generally as blind as Theists. Atheists believe themselves to be right and never accept any other suggestions. The theory of Evolution is unproven in its entirety, exactly the same as Theism. The universe is infinite. Does this not also mean infinite possibilities? Just because we humans have naught but left the womb of creation does this mean that no others see the light of dawn? I tell you this: Far beyond our stars, there could be thousands of races and forces capable of things greater than our imagination. Masters of creation and world building could abound in the mists of space.

 

Yet those who belong to Religions that speak of alien encounters are scoffed at and thought insane. These people perhaps have more substantiability to their claims as any whom belong to a faith.

I myself, am not long for this world, and many mysteries evade my perception. But I will know, in time, and thus I do not satisfy my hunger for knowledge by filling in the blanks.

 

If there were to be one thing that I believe it is worth having faith in?

Love. Pretty Women. Music, Art and Celebration.

Is everybody in?

Fear denies Faith


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
The theory of evolution

The theory of evolution being incomplete has nothing to do with it's validity. Evolution is a fact, whether we know every single microscopic detail of it or not.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


sonofthemorningstar
sonofthemorningstar's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: The theory

Vastet wrote:
The theory of evolution being incomplete has nothing to do with it's validity. Evolution is a fact, whether we know every single microscopic detail of it or not.

I cannot concur. There is proof of evolution. It is very hard, solid proof, but it is not conclusional. For one, everything that Evolution is about has been created by man. It is not a story, but still involves a lot of guess work. It is plausible, but not absolute. It involves Faith.

Therefore, it should not be considered true nor false. It has to be believed. It is not fact, but it is of a factual faith - as opposed to a fictional faith.

 

 

Fear denies Faith


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Such beautiful

Quote:
Such beautiful creatures are not made by chance.

Who says they are made by chance?

Oh right, YOU! 

 

Quote:
Atheists are generally as blind as Theists. Atheists believe themselves to be right and never accept any other suggestions

Quote:
I do not believe in God.

LOLLERCOASTER!! 

 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


sonofthemorningstar
sonofthemorningstar's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-03-10
User is offlineOffline
Mocking me does little to

Must you butcher and twist my words without concept of respect? 

Mocking me does little to demean my words other than reveal your manipulative nature.

Can others not read what I write and make their own judgements.?

I do not believe in God.

I am not an Atheist.

I am not any word or label you can produce.

There's a very good chance your "rational" minds will attempt to decipher whatever I say and come up with YOUR own conclusions.

Rational thought is a product of complacence.

There are many things too vast to cram in your little boxes.

Open your minds.

Wake up.

Fear denies Faith


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Obligatory moderator post

Obligatory moderator post

Please remember that this is the Kill 'Em With Kindness thread.

No insults. No attacks. No name calling.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
sonofthemorningstar

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
I do not believe in God.

I am not an Atheist.

So you believe in any god or gods? 

Quote:
I am not any word or label you can produce.

So you are nothing? 

Quote:
Rational thought is a product of complacence.

You are right!

sjfashejsdasvsvksvidfnithmigfhmjymhgjmgyumjlymhlirthgueryafsgdefc

aseshgfuidshvhdsfvsdf;hvdsfvkudhsfvdf

vdffvusdfhuvhsrvucthulhusfseijgfsijglijdfvhridsrvidsrv

vaesyvysregf 

Open your minds.

I am... by rejecting rationality!!!

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc

 

ashfjasdufdshfuhashfuseugfhrughidrhgsiosdfnvmdfvfc 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
sonofthemorningstar

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Vastet wrote:
The theory of evolution being incomplete has nothing to do with it's validity. Evolution is a fact, whether we know every single microscopic detail of it or not.

I cannot concur. There is proof of evolution. It is very hard, solid proof, but it is not conclusional. For one, everything that Evolution is about has been created by man. It is not a story, but still involves a lot of guess work. It is plausible, but not absolute. It involves Faith.

No it does not. Evolution isn't a creation. It's observed fact. The theory doesn't say anything that isn't demonstrably true. It is built on solid fact, and any holes in any theory are there out of intellectual honesty that we don't know what fills those holes. Even if a god/gods/mystical energy/whateverthefuck were able to fill any holes, evolution will still be a fact. Every theory is built in such a way that as a hole is discovered and researched, it is filled with information and demonstrable fact.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Therefore, it should not be considered true nor false. It has to be believed. It is not fact, but it is of a factual faith - as opposed to a fictional faith.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


sonofthemorningstar
sonofthemorningstar's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-03-10
User is offlineOffline
You don't know what

You don't know what you're talking about.

So you have seen the bones of an Austrolipithicus? You have held the remnants of a Homo Erectus between your own two hands?

Let it be known that we believe what we are told.

What if it were to happen that the theory of evolution wa a fraud?

What if Evolution turned out to be the new Theism?

Where would you run?

Where would you hide?

Now listen to this. I can see with such fervor and frustration you condemn me according to your superiority complex.

I bid you go outside and revel in the dirt, kick your feet into the ground and kiss the grass.

Learn to forget.

 

Fear denies Faith


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
sonofthemorningstar

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
You don't know what you're talking about.

Typical confused theist. You are right, but only if you're looking in the mirror while you say that.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
So you have seen the bones of an Austrolipithicus?

Yep.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
You have held the remnants of a Homo Erectus between your own two hands?

What does this have to do with anything? Yes.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Let it be known that we believe what we are told.

You certainly do. I need evidence.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
What if it were to happen that the theory of evolution wa a fraud?

What if the sun burned out 2 hours from now? What if your god fell out of the sky dead on your doorstep? What if elephants started flying and singing?

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
What if Evolution turned out to be the new Theism? Where would you run? Where would you hide?

Why would I run or hide? If evolution were proven wrong, fine. It's proven wrong. Onto the next. Until such happens however, you're merely asserting baseless scenarios that are amusingly stupid at best.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:

Now listen to this. I can see with such fervor and frustration you condemn me according to your superiority complex.

So now you're taking up blatant bald faced lying are you? Since when did I say I was superior to you or anyone else?

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
I bid you go outside and revel in the dirt, kick your feet into the ground and kiss the grass. Learn to forget.

I bid you come here and kiss my ass. Learn to learn.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
sonofthemorningstar


sonofthemorningstar wrote:
What if it were to happen that the theory of evolution wa a fraud?

 slycyg .lxd z czh lv x.dd; lrdf kg

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
What if Evolution turned out to be the new Theism?

너는 무슨 사전을 사용해 이는가? 유신론은 신을 믿기에 해야 한다. 기동전개는 신 신념하고 무관하다. 그것은 진짜 이다 것 을 무신론자와 유신론자가 모두 믿는 케이스 있는다.

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Where would you run?

No where to run to baby...

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Where would you hide?

... No where to hide 

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Now listen to this. I can see with such fervor and frustration you condemn me according to your superiority complex.

BLACK!

POT!

KETTLE! 

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
I bid you go outside and revel in the dirt, kick your feet into the ground and kiss the grass.

HURR
HURRRR
HURRRRR

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
Learn to forget.

 *Sits and drools*

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
I have

I have forgotten

everything but keep one thing

in my memory.

On a comet rides Jesus

and in its wake hides a spaceship.

 

 

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


Susan
Susan's picture
Posts: 3561
Joined: 2006-02-12
User is offlineOffline
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS THE

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS THE KILL 'EM WITH KINDNESS THREAD.

You are free to disagree and discuss, but on this thread you are not free to sling personal insults. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.


sonofthemorningstar
sonofthemorningstar's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-03-10
User is offlineOffline
And you call yourselves

And you call yourselves intellectuals. circumstance dictates. 


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
I never once did. But you've

I never once did. But you've proved I am certainly more so than yourself. Thanks. Smiling

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
sonofthemorningstar

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
And you call yourselves intellectuals. circumstance dictates.

Sorry Susan but this must be said.

Cry me a river. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


sonofthemorningstar
sonofthemorningstar's picture
Posts: 13
Joined: 2007-03-10
User is offlineOffline
You deny yourselves

You deny yourselves further conference through both spiteful ignorance and malicious contempt.  "Empty minds are easily filled with faith"

but  "Knowledge without feeling spawns arrogance and disrespect"  Unfortunately, the world is filled with these two degrees of hate, with both of you, forming the latter completely.  Thank you for another display of human weakness to power.  ---  Feel free in your attempts do destroy all credibility of this post in your ensuing replies.  I am sure they will define your pathetic existence beautifully.  Fare well

Fear denies Faith


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10546
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
sonofthemorningstar

sonofthemorningstar wrote:
You deny yourselves further conference through both spiteful ignorance and malicious contempt.  "Empty minds are easily filled with faith"

but  "Knowledge without feeling spawns arrogance and disrespect"  Unfortunately, the world is filled with these two degrees of hate, with both of you, forming the latter completely.  Thank you for another display of human weakness to power.  ---  Feel free in your attempts do destroy all credibility of this post in your ensuing replies.  I am sure they will define your pathetic existence beautifully.  Fare well

You've proved you can say a lot of crap without saying anything of any value at all, and can make yourself out as an idiot in the process. Congratulations! Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
Posts: 76
Joined: 2007-03-09
User is offlineOffline
Speaking for myself ...

For me, there are several problems with arguments denying evolution. Primarily, I think there's a problem with terminology. Personally, I have been to the Galapagos Islands. I have studied how animals adapt to their environments. Anyone who has seen a cormorant in the States, with fully functional wings, swimming, diving, flying, and standing with their wings spread out to dry ... and then sees the flightless cormorant in the Galapagos Islands, can't deny the evidence in front of them. These birds are virtually identical, except that there are no natural predators in the Galapagos Islands. Cormorants feed on fish. The cormorants in the Galapagos Islands didn't have to fly to escape predation, and over the years they lost the ability. Their wings are tiny, pitifully feathered, and will not lift their weight. But they still flap them. They still hold them up in the sunshine to dry them out after they swim.

Anyway. This part of evolution ... that animals do change, do evolve, is very well proven. I could write all night and not finish with the examples I've seen with my own eyes. Christians who deny that animals change over time, adapting to their surroundings, I think are in a state of denial about reality.

As for how the universe began, and how human beings came to be ... we all have our favorite theories. But I don't think science or humanity have gotten far enough to have all the answers yet. Most rational people will admit this if they think about it. So if a Christian starts arguing with me about evolution I have to ask. Are you asking me about the proven fact that animals evolve? Or are you asking about how everything was created? And to that second question, I would propose that all of us are theorizing. And today's best theory may be disproven tomorrow.

Think about how recently people KNEW that the world was flat.

Peace.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life


Presidential Atheist
Posts: 17
Joined: 2007-02-16
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: What

l.mcbryar wrote:
What evolved first, the mouth, the ability to use the mouth, or the need for food to sustain the creature? Hope that makes people happier. Now i would like for this to be answered this way.

I believe the need for 'food' evolved first. A mouth most likely did not evolve first, as it would be pointless to have a mouth if food was not needed. The ability to use the mouth would follow the mouth's creation so that too cannot be first. It makes sense that as creatures (or even bacteria) grew larger they would require more energy. Ingestion is how they get this energy, so as more energy was required for the organism to operate at peak efficiency, the 'mouth' was developed to deliver this energy source.


todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
Posts: 2811
Joined: 2006-03-10
User is offlineOffline
l.mcbryar wrote: if you

l.mcbryar wrote:
if you will look at my entire posting. infinity has to represent all numbers and their possibilities. how is that possible.

Simple. A finite formula, that uses the concept of iteration, can provide you with a means for generating an infinite array.

Quote:
 

write, call, or go and talk to any credible math professor and find out what they say.

They will affirm what I just said.

Can you even cite one mathematican who denies that we can write a formula representing an infinite array?

 

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.


My Name is Chelsea
Posts: 69
Joined: 2007-02-23
User is offlineOffline
Presidential Atheist

Presidential Atheist wrote:

l.mcbryar wrote:
What evolved first, the mouth, the ability to use the mouth, or the need for food to sustain the creature? Hope that makes people happier. Now i would like for this to be answered this way.

I believe the need for 'food' evolved first. A mouth most likely did not evolve first, as it would be pointless to have a mouth if food was not needed. The ability to use the mouth would follow the mouth's creation so that too cannot be first. It makes sense that as creatures (or even bacteria) grew larger they would require more energy. Ingestion is how they get this energy, so as more energy was required for the organism to operate at peak efficiency, the 'mouth' was developed to deliver this energy source.

I suspect that some organism evolved a way to ingest energy and this gave it an advantage. As evolution continued the organism developed high enough energy requirements that it now required the ability to ingest energy. So basically I suspect that when the organism evolved a "mouth" it didn't "need" it, rather it gave an advantage and the need showed up later.

So

1. Ability to "use mouth"/digest = likely as a part of a seperate process.

2. Mouth = ability to ingest energy/nutrients

3. Need for food

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein


HumanisticJones
HumanisticJones's picture
Posts: 159
Joined: 2007-02-07
User is offlineOffline
Let me tack on a bit on

Let me tack on a bit on that whole infinity discusion.  Family guy brought up adding numbers after a decimal place, but I feel that the choice to use 0 is a bad example.  1.00 and 1.000000 are not of different values so it really doesn't represent anything other than the fact that an infinite number of zeros after the decimal place doesn't change the value of the number.  However, I posulate that there are an infinite number of values between 1 and 2.

Where's my proof?

1.9 -> 1.99 -> 1.999 -> 1.9999

I can keep going and each nine tacked to the end will not only create a unique numeric value, but will also never equal 2, on into infinite numbers of 9's.

There's a practical mathematical infinity as asked for, l.mcbryar.

The Regular Expressions of Humanistic Jones: Where one software Engineer will show the world that God is nothing more than an undefined pointer.