Credibility

Kirbert
Kirbert's picture
User is offlineOffline
Credibility

Let's say you came to me and asked me if I knew the answers to some questions you have.  And I said yes, I know all the answers with absolute certainty.  So you posed a coupla dozen questions, and I answered every one.  And I assured you that all my answers were absolutely correct without question.

Now let's say that, a couple of years later, you happen to find out that one of my answers was incorrect.  In fact, not just slightly erroneous, but completely wrong, it's apparent that I didn't know anything at all about the subject, I just made up the answer.  So you come to me wanting to know why I would lie to you in this manner.  At first I insist I was correct, but when it becomes clear that you and everyone else knows I was lying, I just drop the subject and never mention it again -- but I still insist my other answers were absolute fact, you can take it to the bank.

Then some time later you discover that I lied about one of the other answers, too.  Same result: eventually I refuse to talk any more about that one, too, but continue to insist that I know the other answers without doubt.

Then another proves to be a complete fabrication.  In fact, as you learn things for yourself, each and every answer I provide proves to be a complete fabrication, never do you find that one of my answers proves to be correct.  At exactly what point do you decide that I'm just a liar, there's no reason to believe anything I say?

The church taught us that the Earth is flat.  The church taught us that there are exactly three continents on Earth.  The church taught us that the Earth was the center of the universe and everything revolved around it -- and imprisoned Galileo for the last 19 years of his life for daring describe what he could see with his own eyes.  The church taught us that the Earth is about 6,000 years old.  The church taught us tha man was created by God in pretty much his present configuration, and that man is completely unrelated to the animals which are merely to be considered meat or slave labor.

I dunno, you tell me: why does anyone believe anything the church says any more?  Because it's a mystery to me.

--  Kirbert 

gobaskof
User is offlineOffline
I dont know why anyone still

I dont know why anyone still belives anything the chuch says, especialy the moderates who will go along with everything scince says and then stick god at the end of it. At least the fundementalists have the guts to stick with all of it! Though i dont know why, they are just deluding themselves.
I have often asked this same question, but it seems that religion is so tied up in society, that its hard to flush it out.

Quote:
I would almost as soon believe with the old and ignorant cosmogonists, that fossil shells had never lived, but had been created in stone so as to mock the shells now living on the sea-shore. - Charles Darwin

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, but you took this

Oh, but you took this totally wrong.

Indeed it wouldn't take long if things were to be like that. But they aren't with the Church.

Does the Church actually teach something? It doesn't. Perhaps with some exceptions, but hey, everybody can be wrong once or twice.

No, the church does something else: it tells APPROXIMATELY WHAT IT THINKS on the matter, and lets the believer decide. Of course the believer won't decide anything. Because nowhere does it state explicitly that the Earth is 6000 years old, nowhere does it explicitly state that it is flat (other than a few passages which could be easily interpreted as metaphorical, i.e: "the four corners of the earth", for instance, is a phrase that even today has remained in Romanian language, and is used commonly when you mean "all around" - yet no Romanian thinks the world has corners, and others), etc.

Of course there are contradictions in the Bible. But it takes Rook's patience (which I for instance don't have) to remember where you have seen such a topic before, and whether or not it gives different information, when you are researching.

Such vague information, covered in a lot of mysticism and in hundreds of pages of "holy book", coupled with repressive action and constant fear of "what if there is a Hell?" is the perfect sollution to make people never reach your conclusion. We have the example of dmar198 which claims that the Church never did anything wrong in its entire life.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

Fourthmanin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Science taught us that Pluto

Science taught us that Pluto was planet...

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fourthmanin wrote: Science

Fourthmanin wrote:

Please, if don't trust science then don't go to the hospital and never takes pills again, you don't want that evil science on you.

But then again science never said that, SCIENTISTS said that. But then again many scientists never thought of Pluto as a planet. I guess the later group had a better argument.

I suggest you hold on to something gravity might give out, it's part of "t3h science!!11!"

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Science taught us

Quote:

Pluto is a planet... according to the old definition of a planet. According to the new one, it isn't.

Definition. Convention. Conventions change. See "slavery" in the US law for proof of convention change.

Saying "I am not wrong, I cannot be wrong" belongs to theists. Scientists admit mistakes and correct them. That proves they're real scientists, honest about science and about their nature.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/