Survey says Evangalicals are wonky

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Survey says Evangalicals are wonky

Again from the Christian Post, apparently the attitudes of Evangelical Christians are out-of-step with the priorities of other Americans.

link

Highlight:

"Some of the issues evangelicals placed at the lower end of priorities for change included protecting the environment (35 percent), improving the quality of public school education, and enhancing the lives of the poor and disadvantaged.

"Meanwhile, 60 percent of other American adults said a change is absolutely necessary in the investment in environmental protection; 82 percent said the same on the issue of improving the quality of a public school education; and 69 percent said improving the lives of poor and disadvantaged people is needed."

So, again, poverty and education much less important than, say, "upgrading the state of marriage and families and improving the spiritual condition of the nation," which were listed as big concerns.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a special message

I have a special message for the Christian Post, regarding the highlight Textom posted:

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
What are they going to

What are they going to report next, sumo's are heavy?

Cassiopeia
Cassiopeia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I for one appreciate

Well I for one appreciate the information, if only as a source to cite in arguments, so thank you.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well the most

Well the most interesting/disturbing part of Christian Post stories for me is the reader comments.

This one has a couple of comments along the lines of "This is good; Jesus said we'd be hated by the world."  I find this scary because it illustrates the escape hatch that allows fundies to justify clinging to wonky ideas without having to actually critically examine the value of those ideas.  The ideas are valued *because* they go against what the majority of society wants.

Radical and minority ideas are valuable, but they should be valued on their actual merits. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert