Misconceptions, misrepresentations, and other assorted nuisances

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Misconceptions, misrepresentations, and other assorted nuisances

In this thread I'm going to try and quash some of the misconceptions and misrepresentations about theists (Christians in particular) that have been kicking around on this forum lately.  The purpose of this thread is not to defend theism per se, but I felt as though it was appropriate to place it here due to the fact that most of the misconceptions and misrepresentations that I've encountered have been in this particular forum. 

The more that I try and further the dialog between myself and the RRS, the more I notice that many of the hardcore RRS members don't actually seem to be interested in "freeing humanity from the mind disorder known as theism", but rather exposing fundamental Christianity.  Needless to say, these things are not one in the same.  

It has come to my attention that, for whatever reason, I am in fact not a bona fide Christian, but rather a quasi-Christian.  This misconception seems to stem chiefly from my honesty concerning the role that doubt has played in my personal search for God.  It's no secret that I've considered the deist position intermittently over the past half decade or so.  God's deafening silence in the most basic areas of human need have sparked this consideration within myself.  Simply put, I find myself experiencing cognitive dissonance over these two things:

1)  I have a hard time believing that matter and energy always existed (therefore I believe in a prime mover, aka God)

2)  I have a hard time believing that God (not an omnibenevolent God, just a God with a shred of fucking dignity) would allow the injustice of the world to perpetuate.

Deism is one of the logical conclusions that follows this line of thought.  But just because I've merely considered this point of view does not mean that I am not a Christian.  Because I am a Christian - albeit a reluctant one at times.

This idea that once you become a Christian you're supposed to be steadfast, firm and unshakable in your faith...well, it's not true.  It's a common misconception amongst atheists and fundamental Christians alike.  My faith, as well as the faith of many other Christians (who I will not name in this thread, because anytime a Christian theologian of any sort is name-checked, a shitstorm of insults and accusations of various and sundry shapes inevitably follows - and that's not the point of this thread) has been defined by doubt, uncertainty, even unbelief.  See, I'm a skeptic at heart, but I've had these crazy experiences that I have no choice but to attribute to God.  Yes, these are the things that I cannot explain, nor would I want to explain if it were possible.  I can only speak implicitly of the realm of these experiences, but never the experiences themselves.  I'm a doubting Thomas; sometimes more doubter than Thomas, sometimes vice versa.  What can I say?  

I've made a life of questioning everything around me, especially my religion...which segues nicely into my second point:

It has also come to my attention that because I believe in God, I am brainwashed.  Although this is true for many keepers of the old guard, whether they are Christians, social conservatives, or even atheists, this is very much not the case for me, and I think that I've sufficiently illustrated this on the board with many forays into my own very personal (and often painful) experiences.  

Listen, I'm angry with religion.  I'm especially angry with the Baptist denomination in which I was raised.  Probably more so than any atheist I've ever known, and I know plenty of them - I just recently took my Bachelor's degree in Philosophy from a secular university.  My best friend is a post-modern Jew of sorts (with the tattoos to prove it), and the rest of my college buddies are either atheists or agnostics.  I only have a select few friends who are Christians, none of which are your standard sparkle-eyed, church-going bible thumpers.  It's not like I surround myself with fundamentalists for the purpose of strengthening my irrationality; rather I choose to surround myself with skeptics, unbelievers, and intellectuals for the purpose of continually challenging my faith.  

But for whatever reason, the misconception endures that simply because I believe in God, I must be brainwashed.  This point of view seems to be rooted in profound arrogance, however.  The atheistic consensus seems to be, "Your beliefs are irrational to me, yet you still believe them, therefore you must be brainwashed."  This is an argument that has unfortunately done much in weakening my credibility as a Christian on this board.  

And I must say that I see a pattern emerging from these misconceptions:  if I am a quasi-Christian (not a fundamentalist), then my views on theism are automatically null and void; the same goes for brainwashing - if I am characterized as a brainwashed individual, then this most certainly renders my theistic views null and void.  If my views are rendered null and void (regardless of the means), then the atheist that I'm debating is the de facto winner of the debate, regardless of the merit of my arguments.  The fact remains, however, that I am neither a quasi-Christian nor brainwashed.  I am a Christian, not to mention a very independent thinker.  I think that I've proven this many times over to you guys, and that's why I cannot understand the persistence of these misconceptions apart from an easy debate victory via technicality.  

That said, I in no way mean any disrespect to any RRS members or the RRS as a whole in saying this.  I'm actually quite fond of you guys, and enjoy debating with you very much.  I just hope that quashing some of these misconceptions will open things up for us to engage in some productive dialog, free of ad hominem attacks - which unfortunately hasn't been the case for a while.  

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, if you're going to

Dude, if you're going to call yourself any kind of "Christian," you have to address the official definition of what a Christian is.  That definition was officially laid down at the council of Nicea:

Council of Nicea wrote:

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come.

If you don't personally believe these things, then you can call yourself "Christian" if you want to, but you don't fit the official definition. Christianity is a religion of authoritarian dogma. All Christians--even the Baptists who don't really use the "Apostles' Creed" systematically--agree with these basic tenants.

Many of us on this forum have been where you are now.  I was also raised a Baptist.  I now believe in retrospect that I was brainwashed.  Based on my own experience, it's hard not to see deism as the last gasp of someone headed for full-blown reason.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
If you don't personally believe these things, then you can call yourself "Christian" if you want to, but you don't fit the official definition. Christianity is a religion of authoritarian dogma. All Christians--even the Baptists who don't really use the "Apostles' Creed" systematically--agree with these basic tenants.

I find it difficult to believe that just because a group of individuals claimed to have authority over the creation of a concept somehow they, de facto, had that authority.

If by "official" we mean, "whoever first decided to use the word and define it or concept and structure it," then fine.. but I'm not educated enough in linguistics to argue very in-depth.

Prescriptive definition of the word "Christian" is much different and more generally applied than what is placed here-- therefore, I do not know what to call this other than a descriptive one.

I now deem the word "tort" to be synonymous with "donut." So let it be written, so let it be done.

Furthermore, by what is written here, not any of the protestant churches are "Christian." I would find this a very odd position to hold that merely because mine, or others, fail to adhere to the concept of apostolic succession that we are somehow not "Christian".. although, obviously, a defendable position might be held on some grounds of non-relevance or technical argument of "first dibs."

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    No officially

No officially speaking you cannot be a christian if you don't believe the doctrine of the christian faith, which includes that Jesus is your savior and that salvation is only through jesus, that god created the world and all things in it, that there is only one true god and to get to him you must believe in jesus. IF your a deist then your a deist, if your a christian than you must follow and believe in these basic doctrines, otherwise anyone can be a christian without believing jesus as their personal savior etc etc etc.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jmm, I don't know if it

Jmm,

I don't know if it will please you to hear me say this, but deism is a very common intermediate step between conventional theism and atheism. I don't know of many people who have left Christianity and gone straight to atheism, as a matter of fact. Most of the people I know who left Christianity came to the realization that the Christian god was either a lie or an insane son-of-a-bitch, and then took much longer to come to grips with the reality that religion in all cases is a lie.

I seldom talk about my personal experience with religion, because I don't like people to be swayed by anecdotes. That's how people get into religion. I'd rather they use logic to get out. However, I think it might trip some of your logic circuits to know some of my history.

As a musician, I've played in almost every denomination you can think of in the south. Everything from "Holiness" pentecostal to Lutheran, to Baptist, to Methodist, to Catholic, and all points in between. My upbringing was Southern Baptist. I was raised as a quasi-fundamentalist, believing for many years that the bible was inerrant. I was taught to believe in demon possession at a young age. (Those scars took a long time to heal, but that's another topic.)

As I grew up, my beliefs mellowed as my family moved to less fundamentalist churches. Nevertheless, I regularly attended "healing services" and revivals, and was constantly being taught about the "science of the bible."

When I moved out on my own, I retained Christianity, but sought out more liberal churches with a less rigid view of the bible, and a more open mind for things like evolution and modern science. I was, like you, a doubting Thomas... a skeptic.

Gradually, I drifted away from the idea of strict Christianity, and although I professed it as my religion, I secretly doubted that Jesus was the only way a person could get to heaven. That doubt soon turned to outright disbelief. As I learned about other religions, and became exposed to new philosophies -- and particularly when I started reading real philosophy instead of apologetics -- I began to lean heavily towards deism. It just seemed impossible to believe that god could possibly be such an arrogant twat as Christians portrayed him.

I could not get past a few things:

1) Where did the universe come from? There had to be a creator. I just couldn't believe that matter/energy had just always existed.

2) What is the purpose of existence, if there is no god?

3) How do you explain the unexplainable? Don't people sometimes experience miracles?

The last one was actually the hardest for me to get through. A few books on Cosmology cured me of my distress over the origins of the universe.

Number two, well, that one took a while as well. The answer wasn't apparent to me until after I became an atheist, actually. It seems odd to say that I didn't have all the answers to those questions when I became an atheist, but I didn't. I simply knew that god was not the answer. I didn't know what the answer was.

So, numbers two and three. The two big stumbling blocks for me, that kept me in agnosticism/deism for several years before my brain was far enough away from Christianity to see clearly. Yep. That's the big point I'm getting to, tucked neatly away in the middle of a "personal testimony." It took me some time outside of theism to recognize the mental circuitry that had been closed off while I was a theist.

I thought of myself as an extremely open minded individual, and thought theism gave me the widest possible path to consider all the options. In reality, I was.... (drum roll) ... brainwashed. I couldn't even comprehend the logic that rendered me a mental slave to the god concept.

How did I make it out, despite being brainwashed? I don't know. If I knew, I'd probably already have a book published and be speaking at psychology conventions. I attribute it to a few things. How I decided these things, I'm not sure, honestly. First, when I left Christianity, I determined that never again would I believe something because I wanted it to be true. Second, I decided that knowledge is power, and that I wanted to learn everything that I could. Third, I recognized that if there is no god, then we are just animals -- very smart animals, but animals nonetheless. I recognized that attributing something "special and different" about homo-sapiens was to commit the kind of error that contributes to the theist mindset (brainwashing). I determined to learn about sociology/psychology, and put everything through the filter of completely natural, evolved creatures, without any special pleading for "humanity's special place in the universe."

The first result of those decisions was that over a few years, I became really, really good at "reading people" and predicting human behavior. (I'm not proud of this, but to demonstrate to a friend who believed in astrology that it was all hogwash, I became an expert astrologer in less than a week, and successfully wowed everyone at a party with my uncanny and eerilly accurate knowledge of their innermost secrets, based entirely on their star-sign... which was, of course, just good cold reading.)

The second thing that happened was that I gradually became aware that the very foundation of theism is flawed. We've talked about this at length, so I won't say it all again.

My point... the one thing I want you to get from all this personal information... is that I didn't enter atheism "knowing all the answers." Hell, there's a lot I don't know now. But! It took me literally years to be able to look back on myself in my theist days and recognize that mental filters were turned off!

When I was a theist, I swore up and down that I questioned everything, that I was open to any answer, and that I had seriously thought through my beliefs, and that they were perfectly valid! I got mad when atheists told me I was brainwashed. I defended myself valiently! I explained that I wasn't like other theists. I really had thought about it.

The embarrassment I felt when I realized, years later, that they were right... that I had been brainwashed... that was one of the things that led me to activism. I can't help that people have been brainwashed, but if I can lessen the power of religion, then the next generation will have less people who have to go through what I did. It's been very difficult for me to live with the knowledge of what I was when I was a theist. I recognize now that a large portion of my life, I was dishonest with myself because I couldn't even comprehend the logic necessary to attain self honesty.

Ok, jmm. That's all. I'm sorry to make you read so much. I hope it means something to you.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Eight Foot Manchild
Eight Foot Manchild's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote:1)  I have a

jmm wrote:

1)  I have a hard time believing that matter and energy always existed (therefore I believe in a prime mover, aka God)

AKA God of the Gaps. You're welcome to him.

jmm wrote:
This idea that once you become a Christian you're supposed to be steadfast, firm and unshakable in your faith...well, it's not true.

Have you consulted the Bible on this matter? I think you'll find it makes the case quite clear.

jmm wrote:
I've had these crazy experiences that I have no choice but to attribute to God.  Yes, these are the things that I cannot explain, nor would I want to explain if it were possible.  I can only speak implicitly of the realm of these experiences, but never the experiences themselves.

You don't have to explain them specifically, but I for one would like to know why you attribute them to Yahweh and not, say, Allah or Vishnu.

jmm wrote:
I've made a life of questioning everything around me, especially my religion...which segues nicely into my second point:

It has also come to my attention that because I believe in God, I am brainwashed.  Although this is true for many keepers of the old guard, whether they are Christians, social conservatives, or even atheists, this is very much not the case for me, and I think that I've sufficiently illustrated this on the board with many forays into my own very personal (and often painful) experiences.  

Listen, I'm angry with religion.  I'm especially angry with the Baptist denomination in which I was raised.  Probably more so than any atheist I've ever known, and I know plenty of them - I just recently took my Bachelor's degree in Philosophy from a secular university.  My best friend is a post-modern Jew of sorts (with the tattoos to prove it), and the rest of my college buddies are either atheists or agnostics.  I only have a select few friends who are Christians, none of which are your standard sparkle-eyed, church-going bible thumpers.  It's not like I surround myself with fundamentalists for the purpose of strengthening my irrationality; rather I choose to surround myself with skeptics, unbelievers, and intellectuals for the purpose of continually challenging my faith.  

But for whatever reason, the misconception endures that simply because I believe in God, I must be brainwashed.  This point of view seems to be rooted in profound arrogance, however.  The atheistic consensus seems to be, "Your beliefs are irrational to me, yet you still believe them, therefore you must be brainwashed."  This is an argument that has unfortunately done much in weakening my credibility as a Christian on this board.  

And I must say that I see a pattern emerging from these misconceptions:  if I am a quasi-Christian (not a fundamentalist), then my views on theism are automatically null and void; the same goes for brainwashing - if I am characterized as a brainwashed individual, then this most certainly renders my theistic views null and void.  If my views are rendered null and void (regardless of the means), then the atheist that I'm debating is the de facto winner of the debate, regardless of the merit of my arguments.  The fact remains, however, that I am neither a quasi-Christian nor brainwashed.  I am a Christian, not to mention a very independent thinker.  I think that I've proven this many times over to you guys, and that's why I cannot understand the persistence of these misconceptions apart from an easy debate victory via technicality.  

That said, I in no way mean any disrespect to any RRS members or the RRS as a whole in saying this.  I'm actually quite fond of you guys, and enjoy debating with you very much.  I just hope that quashing some of these misconceptions will open things up for us to engage in some productive dialog, free of ad hominem attacks - which unfortunately hasn't been the case for a while.  

I'd like to know what it is you actually believe. You call yourself a "quasi-Christian"... so, you KIND OF believe Jesus Christ, our Lord and Personal Saviour, is the only son of God who was sent to Earth to redeem mankind of the original sin and was crucified, resurrected and assumpt-ed and now sits at the right hand of the Heavenly Father, awaiting the day of His return? Or did you just invent the term to distance yourself from any particular denomination? You're gonna have to clarify a couple things before any dialogue can continue.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom:  so you're holding

Textom:  so you're holding me to the authoritarian dogma of the 4th century...with authoritarian dogma?  That's interesting, but it further solidifies my point that it's easier to hold Christians to the archaic caricatures than to actually address their points.  It's the 21st century, man.  Things are changing, and faith is not immune to these changes. 

Hambydammit:  I really do appreciate your lengthy response.  It's probably no mystery that our interactions inspired this thread, and I'm glad that you didn't take any offense.  You're my favorite poster on these boards.  You're one of the smartest people I've ever talked to on the internet, and you're also a great communicator of ideas.  The more you reveal to me, the more it seems like we have a great deal in common.  I'll respond in further detail to your post after work, but I'd just like to say that I hope we can continue our dialog into the future.  

Eight Foot Manchild:  I think you need to reread my post.  You've gotten a few key things switched around that I honestly don't have time at the moment to clear up myself.  

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  I'll respond to each of you in greater detail as time allows. 

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Textom: so

jmm wrote:

Textom: so you're holding me to the authoritarian dogma of the 4th century...with authoritarian dogma?

I want to say "if you want to be a Christian, that's how Christianity works."  But it's true that doesn't address the real issue here.

I'm not trying to create a false dilemma between Christian/Non-Christian and force you to pick a side.  That would not only be a fallacy, it would also be silly and pointless.  That's why in my original post I used the word "address" the official definition of Christianity, rather than "conform to." 

If you're going to claim the label "Christian," then either you have to be clear on how you are not conforming to the official version, or else you inherit all the assumptions that the use of the label brings.   It's schenanigans to use an unqualified, loaded word like "Christian" to describe yourself and then expect people not to understand that you mean "Christian."

jmm wrote:
It's the 21st century, man. Things are changing, and faith is not immune to these changes.

Many Christians would argue that faith is immune to changes (even though they have undergone these changes themselves, but just don't know their own history).  You can claim the authority to redefine Christianity if you want to--and you wouldn't be the first.  All I ask is that you make it clear somehow that you're not talking about the official version.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: No officially

Quote:
No officially speaking you cannot be a christian if you don't believe the doctrine of the christian faith,

...the question is not whether this is true-- this seems to be almost tautological.

The question is "what is the doctrine of the christian faith" or even if there is one.

One cannot merely state it, de facto, as so-- there must some argument for the position if it is a position you wish to take.  Like Textom could have (I don't believe he has) taken the position that Christian Doctrine was settled by the Council of Nicea, never to be legitametly taken from again because... X.

Without an argument, whatever assertion there is about what is a necessary doctrine of Christian Faith is merely that, an assertion. 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I still don't get it.  It

I still don't get it.  It seems to me that you're saying that although it would be pointless and irrelevant to create a "christian/non christian" dichotomy based upon this definition created in the 4th century.. that somehow it would be necessary and relevant to do so now if one would wish to stray from it.

There a number of denominations within "christianity" today, I do not believe that everyone has a burden to distinguish themselves from this 4th century definition.

However, in one respect, I would agree that it might be helpful to describe specifically what one might believe when the issue is relevant.

Yet, there is a difference, small and technical as it may be, between the need to distinguish oneself from a group and the need to affirmatively describe what one believes on a material issue.

One takes a lot more work than the other. Sticking out tongue

I don't want to go into every belief that I hold which is not consistant with the aformentioned definition.. I'd much rather explain, merely, those things which are applicable in on a thread by thread basis. Smiling 

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
(Disclaimer: I didn't read

(Disclaimer: I didn't read all of the replies)

We know that if you believe in the Christian God, then you are brainwashed. If you have your own beliefs in god, then you are not brainwashed... you are just making explanations for the unknown. My goal as an atheist is to get rid of religion, not the belief in god itself. When we say "God does not exist" we are refering to the God related to that religion. When we say "prove that god exist" we are asking for you to prove your God of religion exist.

It is possible for a god to exist, but I chose not to believe in it... just like you chose not to believe aliens are reading your mind right now. If you want to beleve in god, just do it without being part of a manipulative religion.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
This: Quote: We know that

This:

Quote:
We know that if you believe in the Christian God, then you are brainwashed.

Does not match with this:

Quote:
If you have your own beliefs in god, then you are not brainwashed... you are just making explanations for the unknown.

Because it presumes that a.) a belief in the "Christian God" cannot merely be a making of an explanation for the unknown or b.) that it cannot be your "own" belief.

Quote:
If you want to beleve in god, just do it without being part of a manipulative religion.

Presuming that religion, as a whole, cannot merely be a congregation of like minded individuals trying to explain the same unknown.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: There

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

There a number of denominations within "christianity" today, I do not believe that everyone has a burden to distinguish themselves from this 4th century definition.

Rhad, you're treating the Nicean Creed as though it were some forgotten footnote to Christian history.

In fact, the Nicene Creed is the founding statement of the Christian church. Before Nicea, there was no official definition of what it meant to be "Christian."  The purpose of the council was to define the parameters of the religion, and the creed has been used continuously to define Christianity ever since.

Even where some denominations (like protestants) have different definitions for words like "catholic" and "apostolic," they still accept these rules as the defining characteristics of their religion.  Many churches still routinely recite the "Apostle's Creed" as a part of regular services. Even where denominations aren't formally familiar with these rules, they're interwoven into the doctrines that are taught.

I find it amazing the number of Christians who think that the definition of Christianity is open to interpretation--or that the version their church uses is different from the one defined at Nicea.  Unless you belong to a really obscure sect, your Christian church uses this definition of Christianity too.

(Note that the word "catholic" here is the small "c" version, which means "all-inclusive."  Even so, many protestant sects eliminate that line from their own versions of the Apostle's Creed to avoid confusion.)

silentseba
silentseba's picture
User is offlineOffline
This:   Quote: We know

This:

Quote:
We know that if you believe in the Christian God, then you are brainwashed.

Does not match with this:

Quote:
If you have your own beliefs in god, then you are not brainwashed... you are just making explanations for the unknown.

Because it presumes that a.) a belief in the "Christian God" cannot merely be a making of an explanation for the unknown or b.) that it cannot be your "own" belief.

There is no way you can come to your own conclussions that a Christian God exists, without being taught that it does exist. There is no way you will see a Wooden Cross with what looks to be a bleeding human corpse and believe that this must be god. There is no way you will read the bible and come to the conclussions that this must be the truth, without being taught that it is the truth (you don't believe fairy tales to be true, do you?). When I say "Follow your own beliefs" I mean DON'T FOLLOW A RELIGION! 

a.) a belief in the "Christian God" cannot merely be a making of an explanation for the unknown

I am telling you that the Christian God is not only making an explanation for the unknown, but controlling your life (read: manipulation and influence) so you will guide your life the way they want you to. If you follow the christian god, you are following ancient ideas that were created 2k years ago. Yeah, some of those ideas are still valid in our current time... but a lof of those ideas are outdate and science has given us better tools to define how we should live.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: (Note that the word

Quote:
(Note that the word "catholic" here is the small "c" version, which means "all-inclusive."  Even so, many protestant sects eliminate that line from their own versions of the Apostle's Creed to avoid confusion.)

I realize that.  I didn't mean to imply that "catholic" was "Catholic."  But "apostolic" really does have a strong and probably intended implication regarding aposotlic sucession, papal authority, ecclessiastic authority, etc.

There is a strong difference of opinion regarding this and other christian denominations.

Quote:
Rhad, you're treating the Nicean Creed as though it were some forgotten footnote to Christian history.

I'm reading is a group of individuals who individuals who, if anything, got together to centralize authority with regards to the "Christian Faith."

I just disagree that they had that authority in the first place.. and certainly not control over the word.

I'd hate to think I'd have to create a new word like... "Jesusiate" merely because they copyrighted or used it first.

Furthermore, I'm not even sure this is a problem:

I don't think the Council said:

Christianity, def.: X

Merely i think people say that what they established WAS the basis for what we call now the Christian Faiths.

Which is probably true, since all Christian faiths pretty much derived from the Catholic one.

That is, once again, not saying that they have any authority on what IS christianity and therefore what I must believe or distinguish myself from in order to accurately call myself a Christian.

This is especially true for those whom profess to believe in the authority of the bible as opposed to the authority of the church.

Nevertheless, I suppose I can understand your argument, and even accept it-- I have no problems being called something other than a Christian.   Someone can call me a Bloofog if they want.. I'm not really sure how it would affect things much accept that people might get confused along the lines of this:

"Wait, you're a bloofog but you believe that an individual named Jesus lived around 30 AD, preached, died, resurrected, and in someway is connected to divine manifestation of the God somehow spoken of within what Christians now call the Old Testament? So why aren't you a Christian?"

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: I

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

I realize that. I didn't mean to imply that "catholic" was "Catholic." But "apostolic" really does have a strong and probably intended implication regarding aposotlic sucession, papal authority, ecclessiastic authority, etc.

There is a strong difference of opinion regarding this and other christian denominations.

Yeah, most protestant denominations deal with this part by redefining "apostolic" to refer to all followers of Jesus, not just the original ones.  That's also why most protestants rename this creed the "Apostle's Creed," suggesting that all you need to be an apostle is to believe these things. 

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

I'm reading is a group of individuals who individuals who, if anything, got together to centralize authority with regards to the "Christian Faith."

I just disagree that they had that authority in the first place.. and certainly not control over the word.

Hehe, Rhad, I don't want to make assumptions here, but do you know the history of the Christian church?

These guys are the ones who decided which books would go into the Bible.  They picked the 20 canonoical New Testament books out of unknown hundreds of potential candidates, and declared which rival scriptures were heresy (and caused, in stages over a long period, other scriptures to be systematically destroyed).  They decided what the word would say and what it would not say.  If that's not complete control, then it's still true that they had more control over the word than anybody before or since.

So you can say that you're a Biblical Christian who doesn't accept the authority of the church necessarily, but the authority of the church is built into the sciptures--and inherent in the particular reading of those scriptures that the council of Nicea regularized. If you're a Christian, you already *do* follow these doctrines, and not the rival doctrines that say that, for example, Jesus had no material body or that he didn't suffer pain or that he doesn't dwell in heaven with the father.

Or maybe you can point to a specific tenant of the creed that you don't agree with? 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

Hehe, Rhad, I don't want to make assumptions here, but do you know the history of the Christian church?

These guys are the ones who decided which books would go into the Bible.

Heh. When I said "word" I did not mean "Word," as in the sense of the Bible.

I meant "word" as in the "word" or "label" of "Christianity" or "Christian."

Quote:
So you can say that you're a Biblical Christian who doesn't accept the authority of the church necessarily, but the authority of the church is built into the sciptures--and inherent in the particular reading of those scriptures that the council of Nicea regularized.

Same words. Different interpretation. While their "authority" formed the Bible, this is not to say that their interpretation of that Bible was the "authority" on the Bible.

That's if to say that the one who first compiled the Illiad or the Odyssey has the authoritative word on what it means.

Quote:
If you're a Christian, you already *do* follow these doctrines, and not the rival doctrines that say that, for example, Jesus had no material body or that he didn't suffer pain or that he doesn't dwell in heaven with the father.

Or maybe you can point to a specific tenant of the creed that you don't agree with?

I disagree with the whole thing! I would never profess to agree with writing professing to solidify what I believe should always be open to change, understanding of "God."

So.. I disagree with the creed on principle. Smiling

Especially one with language saturated with ambiguity.

e.g.

Quote:
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Quote:
to judge the quick and the dead

Quote:
for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man

Quote:
the Lord and Giver of Life

Quote:
who spoke by the prophets.

Quote:
one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

Quote:
the remission of sins

etc. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom wrote: Or maybe you

Textom wrote:

Why does denying the validity of the council of Nicea invalidate the canonical works themselves? If I find 20 books on physics and invent some weird cosmology based on those books it is my own errors that are the problem, not the books themselves. While fundamentalist raise the New Testament to a level equal with god, there are moderates that are far more circumspect about those writings and skeptical of the authority of the Council of Nicea.

Also, why do we not insist on Netwonian physics in leiu of quantum physics and relativity? Newtonion physics was first so we should not allow anything else, no?. Absurd. It is just as absurd to think that Christian theology specifically and theist theology in general should not evolve as well. Sure, there are those that insist on being "pure" to the Council of Nicea, but they've lost the battle already because in order to do that they would have to be speaking perfectly the Greek and Latin of the period. Language has changed too much in the last 2 millenia to alllow such purity. 

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
    Well basically the

Well basically the foundation of the christian faith and church are based on these tenants, you can say it has changed, although the word of god changing when it is supposedly to stand unchanged for the rest of time (wait that's the OT and the NT changes things....go figure)  So how does one say i don't agree with the foundation of the church and of the christian faith with things that supposedly are not changeable? Science does not say it is unchangable, it does not adhere to strict unbending rules, it changes as the evidence changes and as new knowledge is aquired, science and faith are 2 different things altogether.

As well the tenants are the foundation of the christan faith, the pillars of the church and what the entire christian faith comes from the same basic foundation of those tenants (although we have different sects, cults etc of the chrsitianity). Then again, the catholic church does state that it is the only one true church and no other belief system in christianty can consider itself a church of god, this a different topic altogether. So really are you a catholic? if not your not a christian (well if we take this arguement from the pope to be true)

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Besides the need for a prime

Besides the need for a prime mover, is there any reason for your need for a God?

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
So how does one say i don't agree with the foundation of the church and of the christian faith with things that supposedly are not changeable?

Who said that? The Council of Nicea? Or some other group of individuals that claimed like authority?

While absolute truth, by definition, is not changeable-- I, and I would presume many others as well, do not claim to have such a grasp on it to claim that what they have is unchangeable.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck

latincanuck wrote:

although the word of god changing when it is supposedly to stand unchanged for the rest of time (wait that's the OT and the NT changes things....go figure)

I believe the bible at best was written by people that had a genuine spiritual experience and wrote down what they experienced in a manner limited by their current understanding of the universe and further constrained by the cultural artifacts of the times.

At worst, the bible is random musings of people that thought highly of their inventions about god.

Which is why I should probably stay out of these types of discussions. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: Besides

xamination wrote:
Besides the need for a prime mover, is there any reason for your need for a God?

I don't "need" a god.  I'm just strongly compelled to believe in one.   

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm, Thank you very much. 

jmm,

Thank you very much.  Sincerely.

I hold a lot of hope for you, which is one of the reasons I've been so hard on you.  You remind me a lot of me, and I don't just say that.

Hopefully, you realize that I am hard, but honest.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

jmm,

Thank you very much. Sincerely.

I hold a lot of hope for you, which is one of the reasons I've been so hard on you. You remind me a lot of me, and I don't just say that.

Hopefully, you realize that I am hard, but honest.

Yes, of course, you must proselytize to the unbelievers, mustn't you? This is actually pretty amusing. Your actions contradict your words, my friend. "I have no reason to proselytize, yet I proselytize." Whether you recognize it or not, that's p and not p. I thought you guys were supposed to like basic logic? Especially, y'know, in the Rational Response Squad.

Read John 3:16.

Peace.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Proselytize is not the

Proselytize is not the correct term as atheism is not a set of beliefs. If you want to use a long word I humbly suggest emancipate.

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Yes, of course, you

Quote:

Yes, of course, you must proselytize to the unbelievers, mustn't you? This is actually pretty amusing. Your actions contradict your words, my friend. "I have no reason to proselytize, yet I proselytize." Whether you recognize it or not, that's p and not p. I thought you guys were supposed to like basic logic? Especially, y'know, in the Rational Response Squad.

Read John 3:16.

Peace.

Seriously, dude. Read some of what I've written before you embarrass yourself.

Peace.

Books about atheism

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
I sometimes feel like our

I sometimes feel like our community relies to much on the implicit notion of a 'true' Christian. I don't think that there's such thing as a 'true' Christianity, just numerous worldviews, tenuously connected by the Bible and/or culture. (e.g. there's a 'cultural Christian' who doesn't really believe in anything supernatural but carries on the cultural traditions that they were brought up in.)

Some groups like to claim that their Christianity is the 'true' breed.  Some might claim it because they take the Bible more literally while others might claim is because they focus more on the message of 'love' rather than dogma, or others might claim it as Jesus gave their organisation authority in past history, or whatever...
It always boils down to "my theology! MY theology!"

A lot of modern atheists seem to be working with the assumption that literalists are the 'true' Christians. I'm not sure why... perhaps it's because the literalists bleat more loudly than others about 'true' Christianity so get noticed more, or perhaps it's down to an analogy with science that tends to be very literal. Either way, I think that when we do this we give the fundies too much credit and do a disservice to the others.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
To me, as a Freethinker, I

To me, as a Freethinker, I don't really put much worry in the flavors of Christianity that are just confused about things and would rather privately believe in some tales. 

I stand in opposition to people, who under the banner of Christianity (or any dogmatic religion), use it to champion irrational policy, elect nitwits to office, start/perpetuate wars, impede scientific discoveries that could help all of humanity, corrupt schools or promote racism/sexism.  

To me, the particular denomination or sect doesn't matter, if you're causing or increasing the suffering of others and use a god or sacred text as an excuse, that excuse isn't good enough and I am your opponent.