If there's a blissful afterlife, why do theists get so angry...

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
If there's a blissful afterlife, why do theists get so angry...

If there's an afterlife, why do theists get so angry when someone murders a loved one?   Shouldn't Muslims, Jews and Christians be thanking one another for sending their loved ones to paradise?  Instead, they seem to be rather angry.  If they really believe in an afterlife, isn't this reaction rather odd?

The thought struck me this morning: maybe theists don't believe as strongly as they think they do.  Their reactions seem to be those of someone who knows the separation from the deceased loved one is permanent.  On some superficial level, they tell themselves the separation is only for a short time.

Thoughts? 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because they have an

Because they have an attachment to the loved one, and they know that that attachment can no longer be fulfilled in this lifetime. That seems a little obvious to me. Grief is a reaction that comes from below the higher level "reasoning" that the belief in an afterlife stems from.

So no, the reaction isn't odd at all. It's expected, I should think. 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
This strikes me as similar

This strikes me as similar to the absurdity that atheists really do believe in god they just are too afraid to admit it.  The anger caused by the murder of a loved one is the base instinct taking over and dominating the feelings. Pretty much how anybody would respond.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This is the atheist

This is the atheist equivalent of the Theist argument 'how can atheists be good?'

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man, I'm really starting to

Man, I'm really starting to get a kick out of these biased questions.  This is about as absurd and blindly dichotomous as Pascal's Wager.  Any sane human being would be upset if a loved one was murdered.  That shit goes beyond what you believe about an afterlife.  Murder is injustice, period.  And as human beings, we react accordingly.  Just because a Christian believes that the loved one is in heaven doesn't take any of the shock and anger away.  We're all bound to this earth for now, and it's all we know.  So of course it's going to be hard to deal with when you know that you'll never see a loved one again in the only context you've ever known (or at least the only one you remember). 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, Iruka, I posted a

Well, Iruka, I posted a response to this before, and the RRS universe chose not to accept it.  So, I shall try again. 

I got a laugh out of the theists jumping on this like angry chimps.  Clearly, you have struck a nerve.  I think I know which nerve it was though.

When humans manifest grief for the dead, it is generally an egocentric reaction.  "Oh no, she's dead.  I lost a resource, someone to talk to, someone to make me food, someone to comfort me."  Rarely do we see someone say, "Oh no, she's dead.  She will never have a headache again or enjoy many of earth's little joys."  They might say, "She won't know my children."  This again looks a bit like self-interest.

All people have this reaction because people are egocentric.  We're bred that way.  Theists apply salve to their loss by rationalizing that "she's in a better place now, and paradise is all around her."  So, in an attempt to avoid the natural, egocentric reaction, the theist layers the entire grief-scape with the benefit that the person is in heaven. 

What does that really mean though?  Does it mean that we are really happy she is in paradise, or does it mean that the resource is not completely lost?  I think the latter.  "Thank goodness, she is not lost to me.  I have not permanently lost my resource; she is just 'away' for a bit."  It actually curls back around to the egocentric view.

So, when you, Iruka, start to dig into a theist's denial of their egocentric nature, I am little surprised that you would get such a rapid and varied response.  Pray, continue, Socratic Gadfly.  Innocent

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Well, Iruka, I

Nero wrote:

Well, Iruka, I posted a response to this before, and the RRS universe chose not to accept it. So, I shall try again.

I got a laugh out of the theists jumping on this like angry chimps. Clearly, you have struck a nerve. I think I know which nerve it was though.

When humans manifest grief for the dead, it is generally an egocentric reaction. "Oh no, she's dead. I lost a resource, someone to talk to, someone to make me food, someone to comfort me." Rarely do we see someone say, "Oh no, she's dead. She will never have a headache again or enjoy many of earth's little joys." They might say, "She won't know my children." This again looks a bit like self-interest.

All people have this reaction because people are egocentric. We're bred that way. Theists apply salve to their loss by rationalizing that "she's in a better place now, and paradise is all around her." So, in an attempt to avoid the natural, egocentric reaction, the theist layers the entire grief-scape with the benefit that the person is in heaven.

What does that really mean though? Does it mean that we are really happy she is in paradise, or does it mean that the resource is not completely lost? I think the latter. "Thank goodness, she is not lost to me. I have not permanently lost my resource; she is just 'away' for a bit." It actually curls back around to the egocentric view.

So, when you, Iruka, start to dig into a theist's denial of their egocentric nature, I am little surprised that you would get such a rapid and varied response. Pray, continue, Socratic Gadfly. Innocent

So atheists can make stupid arguements by Theists can't?

The answer to the OP is simple. Because we are human.

Let's turn it around. How can an atheist get so angry when they lose a loved one?  After all, there is no point to life, so how can they care if someone died? 

See how stupid that is? I used your logic. The egocentric can be over ruled by dening importance to the loss.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
No, atheists get angry

No, atheists get angry because they have lost a resource. I don't like losing people, money, oxygen, or food.  It all pisses me off.  It varies based on the level of deprivation and the necessity of the resource. 

The difference is that the atheist accepts his/her egocentric nature.  It is the first step from hypocrisy.  You see?

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote:   I got a

Nero wrote:

I got a laugh out of the theists jumping on this like angry chimps. Clearly, you have struck a nerve. I think I know which nerve it was though.

Huh? Who's angry? 

Quote:

So, when you, Iruka, start to dig into a theist's denial of their egocentric nature, I am little surprised that you would get such a rapid and varied response. Pray, continue, Socratic Gadfly. Innocent

Not too condescending now, are we? 

A question was asked, I responded. It's pretty simple. Death is emotionally painful, for whatever the reasons. It would be unusual for anybody not to feel some anger when losing a loved one.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: No, atheists

Nero wrote:

No, atheists get angry because they have lost a resource. I don't like losing people, money, oxygen, or food. It all pisses me off. It varies based on the level of deprivation and the necessity of the resource.

The difference is that the atheist accepts his/her egocentric nature. It is the first step from hypocrisy. You see?

So caring about a loved one is hypocrisy?  

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Nero

wavefreak wrote:
Nero wrote:

Huh? Who's angry? 

Quote:

A question was asked, I responded. It's pretty simple. Death is emotionally painful, for whatever the reasons. It would be unusual for anybody not to feel some anger when losing a loved one.

Nota bene the reactions of your fellow theists, Wavefreak.  As for the the condescending tone, the note was addressed to Iruka.  I doubt she found me to be condescending to her views.  If your feelings got stepped on, allow me to express my deepest sympthies and my hopes that they will not be in the way when I next take a step.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: No, atheists

Nero wrote:

No, atheists get angry because they have lost a resource. I don't like losing people, money, oxygen, or food. It all pisses me off. It varies based on the level of deprivation and the necessity of the resource.

The difference is that the atheist accepts his/her egocentric nature. It is the first step from hypocrisy. You see?

Nero, I'm not really sure what you're looking for here, but it seems as though you're trying to catch us theists up in a contradiction of some sort.  You have failed to do so, however, and this seems to be a problem for you.  We're all human, theist or otherwise.  We all experience joy and loss in more or less the same manner regardless of our beliefs.  Anything other than the reality in which we are bound to is completely foreign to us, and therefore frightening and unpleasant.  Why is that so hard to understand?

So what is it you want?  Are you just going to keep on posting asinine retorts until one of us says "d'oh, you got us"? 

This thread is the atheist equivalent of a Christian saying, "If there's no God, then we might as well kill ourselves."  It's the same kind of anecdotal extremism that gave us Pascal's Wager, so congrats on that. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Nero

jmm wrote:
Nero wrote:

Nero, I'm not really sure what you're looking for here, but it seems as though you're trying to catch us theists up in a contradiction of some sort.  You have failed to do so, however, and this seems to be a problem for you.  We're all human, theist or otherwise.  We all experience joy and loss in more or less the same manner regardless of our beliefs.  Anything other than the reality in which we are bound to is completely foreign to us, and therefore frightening and unpleasant.  Why is that so hard to understand?

So what is it you want?  Are you just going to keep on posting asinine retorts until one of us says "d'oh, you got us"? 

This thread is the atheist equivalent of a Christian saying, "If there's no God, then we might as well kill ourselves."  It's the same kind of anecdotal extremism that gave us Pascal's Wager, so congrats on that. 

No, it is not Pascal's wager. Iruka asked a reasonable question and struck a nerve.  I was merely pointing out that we both experience the loss, but theists add a special layer of bullshit to make themselves feel better.  It is merely observation.  Anyone who has been to enough funerals has seen this veneer of self-indulgent offal.

I understand your desire to maintain it.  The truth of human nature can be unsettling. 

Now, unfortunately, I am done with this thread.  I have other absurdity to battle.  Good eve.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: jmm

Nero wrote:
jmm wrote:
Nero wrote:

Nero, I'm not really sure what you're looking for here, but it seems as though you're trying to catch us theists up in a contradiction of some sort. You have failed to do so, however, and this seems to be a problem for you. We're all human, theist or otherwise. We all experience joy and loss in more or less the same manner regardless of our beliefs. Anything other than the reality in which we are bound to is completely foreign to us, and therefore frightening and unpleasant. Why is that so hard to understand?

So what is it you want? Are you just going to keep on posting asinine retorts until one of us says "d'oh, you got us"?

This thread is the atheist equivalent of a Christian saying, "If there's no God, then we might as well kill ourselves." It's the same kind of anecdotal extremism that gave us Pascal's Wager, so congrats on that.

No, it is not Pascal's wager. Iruka asked a reasonable question and struck a nerve. I was merely pointing out that we both experience the loss, but theists add a special layer of bullshit to make themselves feel better. It is merely observation. Anyone who has been to enough funerals has seen this veneer of self-indulgent offal.

I understand your desire to maintain it. The truth of human nature can be unsettling.

Now, unfortunately, I am done with this thread. I have other absurdity to battle. Good eve.

It struck a nerve because it was idiotic, not because it was true.   

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: wavefreak

Nero wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
Nero wrote:

Huh? Who's angry?

Quote:

Nota bene the reactions of your fellow theists, Wavefreak. As for the the condescending tone, the note was addressed to Iruka. I doubt she found me to be condescending to her views. If your feelings got stepped on, allow me to express my deepest sympthies and my hopes that they will not be in the way when I next take a step.

LOL. You give yourself too much credit. Even your sarcasm is weak. I've been pwned by much better than you.

Bwahahahaha. 

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Nero

jmm wrote:
Nero wrote:

The Pascal's Wager comparison seems to come from out of left field. Explain to me how the OP relates to Pascal's Wager.

I too find it odd that this question has received the responses it has. Do you theists not beleve in an eternal afterlife (whatever that is supposed to mean)? Do you not believe that your dead loved ones are now residing in paradise? I can not at all understand how this would be something I would be upset by if I actually believed it to be true.

Instead of calling the question ridiculous, or attempting to explain it away with an appeal to natural emotion, tell me from a reasoned perspective why this should be upsetting to the theist. Don't worry with why it is upsetting, but why should it be? Shouldn't death be welcomed? 

To use the oddly refrenced example of Pascal's Wager , if the atheist was simply to reply with  "That's a stupid question. Its just human nature." then I would expect them to reconsider until they had a well reasoned response as well.

So, why should the death (murder, natural, whatever) of a loved one not be a welcomed event for the true believer? It really isn't a ridiculous question in the least from my perspective.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my opinion, any of us -

In my opinion, any of us - theist or atheist - grieve because we shall miss having that person (in my case, kitties) in our lives.

In the case of murder or even terrible illness, we might be angry at the injustice.  But I don't think there's a one of us that would begrudge the dearly departed a relief from suffering.

I've always thought that grief is somewhat of a selfish emotion because we're sorry that person (cat/dog/pet) is no longer around us to give us emotional support.

I saw a quote once that said:  Grief is the purest evidence that we have loved and loved well.

I cannot find a source for the author, but I think it's very true.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: In my

Susan wrote:

In my opinion, any of us - theist or atheist - grieve because we shall miss having that person (in my case, kitties) in our lives.

In the case of murder or even terrible illness, we might be angry at the injustice. But I don't think there's a one of us that would begrudge the dearly departed a relief from suffering.

I've always thought that grief is somewhat of a selfish emotion because we're sorry that person (cat/dog/pet) is no longer around us to give us emotional support.

I saw a quote once that said: Grief is the purest evidence that we have loved and loved well.

I cannot find a source for the author, but I think it's very true.

What she said ... 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: ...or attempting to

Quote:
...or attempting to explain it away with an appeal to natural emotion...

Why exactly is it an illegimate explanation to use a concept of "natural emotion" or "natural response" in response to a question regarding an "emotional response"?

I don't see exactly how one would expect a rationale answer for an irrationale thing.. unless emotions are rational-- I never considered them so.

They always seemed pretty spontaneous and uncontrollable to me.

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Quote:
...or attempting to explain it away with an appeal to natural emotion...

Why exactly is it an illegimate explanation to use a concept of "natural emotion" or "natural response" in response to a question regarding an "emotional response"?

I don't see exactly how one would expect a rationale answer for an irrationale thing.. unless emotions are rational-- I never considered them so.

They always seemed pretty spontaneous and uncontrollable to me.

I don't get emotionally upset when it is unreasonable for me to do so. If one gets emotional spontaneously without good reason they should seek medical help and get their chemicals balanced. Do you often get upset when there is no good reason to?

That is why, in the comment you quoted from, I made sure to clarify that I was wondering, not why the theist does react they way they do, but if there is any reason that they should react the way they do, which is what I took the OP to be asking. To say that they react the way they do because it is human nature does not adress the question of why it is human nature to mourn death if death is what could only be viewed as the greatest possible experience one could ever imagine.

For the atheist the dead loved one is gone, never to be experienced and enjoyed again. For the theist the dead loved one is in paradise, awaiting the thiest, ready to spend all of eternity together blissfully petting kitties, or whatever it is they do wherever it is they go. It logically should be a great thing to die and for those you love to die.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:
I don't get emotionally upset when it is unreasonable for me to do so. If one gets emotional spontaneously without good reason they should seek medical help and get their chemicals balanced. Do you often get upset when there is no good reason to?

Heh. If you rationalize you're emotions before you have them, then you're crazy. If you rationalize you're emotions after-the-fact, then.. great.. normal stuff.

But his question is suggestion that it's rational not to feel a certain way.

And that's fine. I will admit it.

Of course... like I said before.. emotions are not rational-- they are reactions

They are based on "reasons," as most things are, but not based on "reason." IMO.

I think there are distinct differences in the case of emotions.

Of course.. that's just me. Smiling Crazy ole me. 

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't you miss your

Don't you miss your significant other during periods of separation?  Say your husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend goes on a business trip or a military deployment for an extended period of time. 

My wife and I were both 45 years old when she passed, if I should live my allotted three score and ten years, we will have been separated for 25 years.  Tell me you'd not miss a lover, parent, sibling during a 25 year separation. 

It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all...bull shit...you try it sometime.

We'll meet again in the great hereafter ... presumption, there is no guarantee, only hope.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

Heh. If you rationalize you're emotions before you have them, then you're crazy. If you rationalize you're emotions after-the-fact, then.. great.. normal stuff.

I don't recall making any claims of sanity.Wink  

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: \ Iruka asked

Nero wrote:
\

Iruka asked a reasonable question and struck a nerve.

I'm fairly certain that it was that the question was, in fact, not reasonable which caused the nerve striking. I would expect a similar reaction (e.g. frustration) to a theist posting on the board saying that atheists were just afraid to believe in God because it would mean that they were damned.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote:

[EDIT - DOUBLE POST]

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've been away from the

I've been away from the boards most of the day, trying to build one working computer from four non-working computers. I feel a bit frazzled. Obviously, my mind wasn't in much better working order when I posted this right off the top of my head.

I believe a bit of clarification is in order.

It's a normal reaction to be angry and grief-stricken when a loved one is murdered. I don't care if you're a Muslim, Jew, Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, atheist, whatever, in 99 out of 100 cases, you are going to be pissed at the murderer and grief-stricken by the loss of your loved one.

In my opinion, this very normal reaction is a huge part of what is fueling the religious wars in the Middle East. If I were caught up in what is happening, I honestly don't know how I would react. Had I been born there, I imagine I'd be just as perpetually pissed-off and violent as the people who are right in the middle of it as we sit here safe at our computer desks.

My original post wasn't meant to be inflammatory. I should have framed it better.

Maybe this is better:

It is normal to be angry and grief-stricken at the murder of a loved one. Belief in an afterlife doesn't seem to gel with that reaction.

Why is that?

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Because it's after life...

Because it's after life... and, well, this is life.

It's similar to this, IMO: 

Q: Why are you getting drunk now as opposed to the after party when theres going to be A-1 beer?

A: Because this is now and that's after.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is going to be a long

This is going to be a long post, so let me apologize ahead of time. Maybe I'll break it up into more digestible chunks. Eye-wink Of course, you don't have to read it at all, but I thought I'd warn you.

My original post was completely off the top of my head. I was musing over troubles in the Middle East, sat down and rattled it off without a whole lot of thought. Obviously, it came across as rather confrontational. It's a controversial question to begin with, so I should have handled it more delicately. I apologize to those I offended.

I posed the question to my seventeen-year-old nephew, whom I love dearly. I really don't know much about his religious beliefs or lack thereof. His upbringing has been...well, a bit stormy, so he's a little bit tight-lipped about certain things. Totally understandable.

I explained it the blunt, obnoxious way first, then reframed it. It took awhile for him to understand what I was driving at: Something about the natural grief and rage we would feel if a loved one were murdered doesn't mesh well with the idea of a blissful afterlife.

Here's our conversation, edited to protect the names of the innocent (and guilty):

Iruka and Her Nephew wrote:

[20:45] Iruka Naminori: I just pissed off a buttload of people. Oops. Sad

[20:46] Firehawk: lmao

[20:46] Firehawk: whatd u do?

[20:46] Iruka Naminori: Asked a non-PC question.

[20:46] Iruka Naminori: Smiling

[20:46] Iruka Naminori: I think it may be a valid question, but I could have done a better job of framing it.

[20:47] Firehawk: lol

[20:47] Iruka Naminori: I went back and framed it differently.

[20:48] Iruka Naminori: But a big problem is I hit people at two levels: fear of death and religious persuasion.

[20:49] Iruka Naminori: My big question is this: if Muslims, Christians and Jews believe in an afterlife, why do they get pissed off when another religious faction murders a loved one? Isn't the loved one in a "better place"?

[20:49] Iruka Naminori: That was the wrong way to frame it.

[20:49] Iruka Naminori: Smiling

[20:49] Iruka Naminori: So, I pissed off everyone who believes in an afterlife plus Muslims, Christians and Jews.

[20:50] Iruka Naminori: Try 2: It is normal to be angry and grief-stricken at the murder of a loved one. Belief in an afterlife doesn't seem to gel with that reaction.

Why is that?

[20:50] Firehawk: Well, people believe that yeah, while their in a better place, it still hurts those that are still down on earth.

[20:50] Iruka Naminori: Why?

[20:50] Iruka Naminori: Smiling

[20:50] Iruka Naminori: If they truly believe, then:

[20:50] Iruka Naminori: 1. They will see the loved one again

[20:50] Iruka Naminori: 2. The loved one is happier now

[20:51] Iruka Naminori: It's selfish to get pissed off and grieve.

[20:51] Iruka Naminori: The reaction makes no sense if they truly believe in a blissful afterlife.

[20:51] Firehawk: If you're loved one went on vactaion to hawaii and is in a better place and never saw them again, would you still miss them?

[20:51] Iruka Naminori: Your analogy fails on one level.

[20:51] Iruka Naminori: "never saw them again"

[20:52] Iruka Naminori: It's more like this:

[20:52] Firehawk: Ok, well, lets say you couldn't see them for 50 or so years. I know I would still miss them for that time

[20:52] Iruka Naminori: Miss them, yes.

[20:52] Iruka Naminori: Get pissed off and murderous, no.

[20:53] Firehawk: oh, nevermind. I guess I read you're question wrong.

[20:53] Iruka Naminori: Smiling

[20:53] Iruka Naminori: See what I mean? Smiling

[20:53] Iruka Naminori: 1. I didn't frame it correctly the first time

[20:53] Iruka Naminori: 2. It makes no sense to be filled with that level of grief and rage.

[20:54] Iruka Naminori: At least it doesn't seem to "fit"

[20:54] Iruka Naminori: It's an interesting question.

[20:54] Firehawk: Yeah. People are human, people get mad over stupid things.

[20:55] Iruka Naminori: But murdering the person who made it possible for your loved one to go to Hawaii...

[20:55] Iruka Naminori: That's weirder than human.

[20:55] Iruka Naminori: Doesn't pass the smell test.

[20:56] Iruka Naminori: You gave me a couple of new insights.

[20:56] Iruka Naminori: Thanks.

[20:56] Iruka Naminori: I shall include them in my attempts to pacify the angry hordes.

[20:56] Firehawk: lol

[20:58] Iruka Naminori: I think it's time for a new Windows theme.

[20:59] Iruka Naminori: This one is pissing me off: random Windows alerts and I don't know what they're about.

[20:59] Firehawk: yay for windows

[21:00] Iruka Naminori: This one may not be much better.

[21:00] Iruka Naminori: It's "tweeting" at me.

[21:00] Iruka Naminori: Parakeet theme

[21:01] Iruka Naminori: Okay, Ferrari

[21:02] Iruka Naminori: But it will remind me that my car is dead.

[21:02] Iruka Naminori: Sad

[21:02] Firehawk: lol

[21:02] Firehawk: dont worry, I'll buy you a ferrari sometime.

[21:02] Iruka Naminori: Smiling

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: You're a good nephew. Eye-wink

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: Matchbox?

[21:03] Firehawk: haha, nope. A real one.

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: hehe

[21:03] Firehawk: Not joking either.

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: Suuuuure. Smiling

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: hehe

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: Gonna rob a bank?

[21:03] Firehawk: Seriously.

[21:03] Firehawk: lol nope.

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: I would visit you in stir.

[21:03] Firehawk: I'm gonna build my own business.

[21:03] Iruka Naminori: Eye-wink

[21:04] Iruka Naminori: I hope you can do it!!!

[21:04] Iruka Naminori: Go for it.

[21:04] Iruka Naminori: I would settle for something that runs. Smiling

[21:04] Firehawk: hehe

[21:04] Iruka Naminori: And decent health care. Smiling

[21:04] Iruka Naminori: That would take a lot of the stress away.

[21:04] Firehawk: Well you're gonna have to settle for a ferrari and excellent health care then. :]

[21:05] Iruka Naminori: Okay. Smiling

[21:05] Iruka Naminori: Sounds great.

[21:05] Iruka Naminori: But don't move to Hawaii without me because I'll miss you and kill the person that sent you there.

[21:05] Firehawk: lol, k. 

So, yes, it would be normal to miss the person if you couldn't see them for a long time...say 50 years. But to carry my nephew's analogy to its logical conclusion, would you be filled with that level of grief and a murderous rage?

If a loved one moved to Hawaii and I knew he was okay, but couldn't communicate with him or see him for fifty years, yes, I would cry.  But a part of me would be very happy for him.  I certainly wouldn't want to hurt the person that made his trip to Hawaii possible.  And I would be excited at the prospect of joining him there.

I think the disconnect is between the natural (as illustrated by the Hawaii analogy) and the supernatural (as illustrated by heaven).  No one has ever reported in from that great Hawaii that lies on the other side of death (at least not in such a way that we know there really is a supernatural Hawaii beyond death), so we really can't know or even truly visualize reuniting with our loved ones there.

It smacks of being unreal. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Losingstreak06

Losingstreak06 wrote:

Because they have an attachment to the loved one, and they know that that attachment can no longer be fulfilled in this lifetime. That seems a little obvious to me. Grief is a reaction that comes from below the higher level "reasoning" that the belief in an afterlife stems from.

So no, the reaction isn't odd at all. It's expected, I should think.

Yes, I realize this. But I certainly didn't make it very clear in my original post.

wavefreak wrote:
This strikes me as similar to the absurdity that atheists really do believe in god they just are too afraid to admit it.

I'm not trying to deal in absurdities. The theist's speculation about atheist belief is just that: speculation. However, when someone collapses from grief and rage at the murder of a loved one, that's real. It's tangible. You can see it. To me the reaction does not seem to "fit" with a belief in an eternity in paradise. The obvious emotional pain is in direct opposition to a belief in an afterlife.

wavefreak wrote:
The anger caused by the murder of a loved one is the base instinct taking over and dominating the feelings. Pretty much how anybody would respond.

Yes, indeed. It's the "natural" way to respond and it doesn't seem to fit with the "supernatural" idea of heaven.

Even as a Christian I could not conceptualize heaven very well. I tried. When I was young, my parents told me it would be more beautiful than any garden on earth and that I would have everything my heart desired. When my father was dying of cancer, he told me heaven would put the holodeck on the Enterprise to shame. By that time, I no longer believed in heaven. The image of my father's wasted body was certainly more tangible than any heaven I could imagine.

Now as I think of the friends and family of the murdered in the Middle East, I realize the horribly maimed bodies of their loved ones must also overshadow any visualization of heaven. Heaven doesn't seem real in the face of death.

We have no proof it is real. None at all. I think we make up pretty stories so we don't have to deal with reality. I know that when the perfect realization of my own mortality hit me, I freaked. I'd been told I'd walk streets of gold, live in a mansion, have access to beauty beyond comprehension.

Reality is a bitter pill to swallow. 

Cpt_Pineapple wrote:
This is the atheist equivalent of the Theist argument 'how can atheists be good?'

Cpt_Pineapple, I really don't see how my question relates to good and evil. Perhaps you inferred something different from what I meant because my original post wasn't very clear. If you do understand what I meant, could you please show me how this relates to good and evil? Anyone who loses a loved one through violence (whether it's driven by religion, greed, bigotry, etc.) is going to be angry and grief-stricken. The fact that I was thinking of Middle East violence when I wrote the original post probably complicated the issue.

jmm wrote:
Man, I'm really starting to get a kick out of these biased questions.

Of course it's a biased question. Smiling We're not pretending to be anything other than what we are. I am an atheist. As a theist, your questions and answers will also be biased. That's what debates are about: opinion backed by arguments. If I wanted to throw out a comment about today's weather, I would have posted in General Conversation. Eye-wink

jmm wrote:
This is about as absurd and blindly dichotomous as Pascal's Wager.

Unless you misinterpreted my initial, poorly-written post (understandable), I really don't follow you here.

jmm wrote:
Any sane human being would be upset if a loved one was murdered. That shit goes beyond what you believe about an afterlife. Murder is injustice, period. And as human beings, we react accordingly. Just because a Christian believes that the loved one is in heaven doesn't take any of the shock and anger away.

Why not?

If you truly believed your loved one is in paradise, wouldn't it bring comfort? If I could believe my father was really in heaven having a wonderful time with the ultimate holodeck, I'd be comforted. It would take away some of the horror of the senseless suffering he endured as the cancer slowly devoured his body.

The day he died my father looked like a holocaust victim. When the end was near, he knew it and panicked. He could no longer speak, but it was clear he wanted--needed--to get out of bed. It was like he was trying to run away. His stick legs would no longer support him, so we put him in his wheelchair and took him into the living room where a documentary about leopards played on the television.

My father was still desperate. He wanted to get away. He had to get away. He tried to get up, but he was too weak.

My mother asked him to imagine being with his long-deceased dog in the woods, but he shook his head frantically, meaning, "No! No! NO!" He didn't want to imagine a better time.

I don't know why he didn't want to imagine being somewhere else, but I guessed, sensed, my father knew he would never walk in the woods with his dog again.  There was no ultimate holodeck beyond the veil of pain. It broke my heart and I started sobbing as I realized just how precious the good times are.

He started gasping for breath. We brought in two tanks of oxygen and put the plastic tubes under his nose. He calmed down. Maybe he didn't have a choice because his once-strong body had been ravaged by cancer.

After that it didn't take long. He sat with his head bowed. His breaths grew more and more shallow. My family whispered stories about heaven and how happy he would be there. My mouth came open and I started mouthing words I didn't believe.

"Let go," I said. "You don't have to fight anymore. If you're worried about us, go up to heaven and be a liaison for us there."

His head bowed lower. His breaths were barely discernible.

And then they stopped.

jmm wrote:
We're all bound to this earth for now, and it's all we know. So of course it's going to be hard to deal with when you know that you'll never see a loved one again in the only context you've ever known (or at least the only one you remember).

Death is ugly, jmm. You know it and I know it. As a species, we fear it. All species fear it. Why? What is there to fear?

jmm wrote:
when you know that you'll never see a loved one again in the only context you've ever known (or at least the only one you remember).

Precisely. And what guarantee do we have that there is another context? A few words scribbled in ancient texts? The word of preachers, priests, imams and rabbis? Urban legends? Cold readers? A gut feeling? I believe. I believe. I believe. I believe. I believe...oh Lord, help Thou my unbelief?

What good are ancient texts, holy men, urban legends, cold readers and a gut feeling in the face of what is known? We are born and we die, becoming once again the stuff of the stars. Do we have any memory of what preceded birth? No. Not unless you believe urban legends. Will we have any memory of what proceeds after death? I very much doubt it.

The truth is we have no good reason to believe in an afterlife.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I grieve for my children's

I grieve for my children's loss, the loss of loving arms, the loss of comfort and wisdom, the loss of an awesome feminine influence in their lives. 

I spent the majority of my life a soldier, I know nothing about being a girl, yet I have to raise three of them.  I can't do that nearly as well as she could have. 

I know next to nothing of what women want, expect and deserve from men, for I'm something of a boor, yet I have to provide guidance for five young men in that arena.

The woman who was "flesh of my flesh" is no more.  I am alone right now.  Maybe that is selfish, I don't know.  But there was a time before the fear and sickness and suffering.  I feel so incomplete.

Perhaps the Bard of Avon summed it up best in Hamlet "...that fear of something after death, the undiscovered country from whose bourne no traveler returns, fills us with a certain dread, and makes us rather face those ills we know than fly to others we know not of.  Thus conscience does make cowards of us all."

Perhaps the grief is for what could have been.

My faith, what I believe helps to assuage this anger, takes the edge of this grief, but to say that it could ever be eradicated by that faith is totally false.

Hope I quoted that Shakespeare correctly because I'm working from memory here.

Hope this doesn't sound to disconnected here, because this touchy-feely stuff is not my forte.

"With its enduring appeal to the search for truth, philosophy has the great responsibility of forming thought and culture; and now it must strive resolutely to recover its original vocation." Pope John Paul II

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote:

Nero wrote:

Well, Iruka, I posted a response to this before, and the RRS universe chose not to accept it. So, I shall try again.

When humans manifest grief for the dead, it is generally an egocentric reaction. "Oh no, she's dead. I lost a resource, someone to talk to, someone to make me food, someone to comfort me." Rarely do we see someone say, "Oh no, she's dead. She will never have a headache again or enjoy many of earth's little joys." They might say, "She won't know my children." This again looks a bit like self-interest.

All people have this reaction because people are egocentric. We're bred that way. Theists apply salve to their loss by rationalizing that "she's in a better place now, and paradise is all around her." So, in an attempt to avoid the natural, egocentric reaction, the theist layers the entire grief-scape with the benefit that the person is in heaven.

What does that really mean though? Does it mean that we are really happy she is in paradise, or does it mean that the resource is not completely lost? I think the latter. "Thank goodness, she is not lost to me. I have not permanently lost my resource; she is just 'away' for a bit." It actually curls back around to the egocentric view.

I agree that there is a selfish component to grief. It's interesting that fundamentalist Christians, who are really down on human nature, don't seem to catch onto this. Or rather, they don't spend time lambasting each other at funerals...unless you count Fred Phelps. Eye-wink

However, I don't think grief is entirely selfish. The sense of loss may reflect the bond shared between the deceased and his or her survivor. As for my father, I felt badly for him when he was in pain. Because my relationship with him was otherwise strained, most of what I feel really is pain on his behalf. I have shed few tears since the night he died because his pain was over.

I did strike some nerves. Maybe part of it is the "selfish" component of grief. The biggest nerve, though, is the one we don't like to talk about: FEAR OF DEATH.

A very huge chunk of religion is built upon and exploits that very natural fear, giving it truly eternal dimensions. The fundamentalists carry the ultimate carrot and stick: eternal life in heaven or hell.

Religion simultaneously inflates and comforts the fear. This is the ultimate manipulation, the ultimate mind-fuck.

That's why I dragged death itself, kicking and screaming, out of the dark into the light of day. I described how my father died. Yes, it was frightening and painful. It was also natural...NOT supernatural. My father did not go to heaven and the ultimate holodeck in the sky, but he didn't go to hell either.

Religion keeps us from confronting death as it actually is. It keeps us from learning how to grieve by giving us empty promises of life eternal while threatening us with hellfire.

Dan Barker wrote:

This song is for those people who were raised with religion, who had quite a struggle breaking free and who have learned that life as an unbeliever is unbelievably good:

Life is Good by Dan Barker

Life is good.
Life is good.
Life is unbelievably good.
The superstitious monkey is off of my back.
I'm thinking for myself and I am back on track.
And I can tell you that life is good.

They used to tell me
That I was condemned
To be punished for eternity,
But not to be sad.
I should be glad
Because Jesus set me free.
Then I started thinking, "Pardon me?
But something here is terribly wrong."
It makes me happier to learn
That I don't need to be forgiven.
I was innocent all along.

Life is good.
Life is good.

How can I be free
If I must die to myself
To be a slave to a dictator's will?
How can I be happy
If I think that my friends and my loved ones
Will end up in hell?
How can I be glad
When I am always afraid
That I haven't measured up as I should?
The day that I abandoned all of the above
Is when I truly learned that life is good.

Life is good.
Life is good.

Giving up religion
Was a real smart move
From the ridiculous to the sublime.
Living a life of learning and love
And laughter is certainly no crime.
What a great feeling
To be finally free
Not needing a master or Lord
Every breath that I breathe
Belongs to me
And life is its own reward.

Life is good.
Life is good.
And I can tell you
Oh, let me tell you
I will tell you
That life is good.

Isn't life good?

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vessel wrote: The Pascal's

Vessel wrote:

The Pascal's Wager comparison seems to come from out of left field. Explain to me how the OP relates to Pascal's Wager.

I too find it odd that this question has received the responses it has. Do you theists not beleve in an eternal afterlife (whatever that is supposed to mean)? Do you not believe that your dead loved ones are now residing in paradise? I can not at all understand how this would be something I would be upset by if I actually believed it to be true.

Instead of calling the question ridiculous, or attempting to explain it away with an appeal to natural emotion, tell me from a reasoned perspective why this should be upsetting to the theist. Don't worry with why it is upsetting, but why should it be? Shouldn't death be welcomed?

To use the oddly refrenced example of Pascal's Wager , if the atheist was simply to reply with "That's a stupid question. Its just human nature." then I would expect them to reconsider until they had a well reasoned response as well.

So, why should the death (murder, natural, whatever) of a loved one not be a welcomed event for the true believer? It really isn't a ridiculous question in the least from my perspective.

Thank you, Vessel.  You got at what I was trying to say.  I think dragging the religiously-motivated wars in the Middle East into the equation muddied the waters a bit.  The fact that religion leads to violence makes death an even more bitter pill to swallow.  

I ask why those who believe in an afterlife still obviously fear death and grieve for those who have died.  The emotional reaction is completely overblown if death is impermanent.  I'm saying it's awfully hard to conceptualize the afterlife in light of the fact of death.  I'm saying that belief in an afterlife seems to be awfully nebulous.  Suicide bombers...now those are some true believers!

Now I must sign off.  It's late.  I am tired.  I meant to get to all of the replies, but I simply cannot.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:

If there's an afterlife, why do theists get so angry when someone murders a loved one? Shouldn't Muslims, Jews and Christians be thanking one another for sending their loved ones to paradise? Instead, they seem to be rather angry. If they really believe in an afterlife, isn't this reaction rather odd?

*pulls the No true scotsman*

LOL, just kidding, Iruka, mostly..... I mean it does seem if you belief in the eternal soul you shouldn't have a marred view of death. But in all seriousness, it's not quite so simple in practice.

I've thought about this a lot... call me what you will for it, but I have always innately been unemotional about death itself. What is good about that is I have given the gamut of bereavement the most ludicrously objective once over on more than one occasion. What I find I believe about emotional reactions to death is that they aren't about the death itself so much as the assault on the persons senses that death represents. I don't mean the question of afterlife here, either, I feel this has much more to do with life than soul. What death represents to a person is quite individual, but to generalise, I think that the emotion felt is personal loss, personal injury, as opposed empathy for the loss of life. Forgive me, but I personally find it hard to believe there is a real empathy to be felt, I've looked pretty hard for it too, but found nothing.

So grief and emotion for lost loved ones, I think, and forgive my boldness please, is not about afterlife and has nothing to do with afterlife, or what happens after to the one we have lost. It is life and an instance of life injuring our own personal values and expectations which brings about the emotion and humans, of all creeds, then, are simply reacting to life, not death.

JMHO

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, that Life is Good song

Yeah, that Life is Good song is great. I have that CD.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think the perception of

I think the perception of hostility is a bit over-wrought. I'm sure as heck not upset. Regarding the framing of the question, perhaps it was unclear enough to warrant some clarification.  Meh.

THe answer is really quite simple. Theists are not perfect. On some high level of abstraction, belief in the afterlife as a better place  should trump any feelings of grief. But I think it is a rare person so in tune with their beliefs that they can set aside grief in an emotionally healthy manner. We are human. It hurts to lose a loved one. And anger is a natural response, especially in situations like a murder.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

I think the perception of hostility is a bit over-wrought. I'm sure as heck not upset. Regarding the framing of the question, perhaps it was unclear enough to warrant some clarification. Meh.

Maybe I inferred more hostility than was present, but I'd really rather not poke a stick in a hornet's nest if I can help it. When we are writing and have no non-verbal communication on which to rely, it's hard to accurately gauge emotional responses.

wavefreak wrote:
THe answer is really quite simple. Theists are not perfect. On some high level of abstraction, belief in the afterlife as a better place should trump any feelings of grief.

Why is belief in an afterlife so abstract?

wavefreak wrote:
But I think it is a rare person so in tune with their beliefs that they can set aside grief in an emotionally healthy manner.

Why is it so rare? If belief in an afterlife is tenable, why is it so hard to put aside grief?

wavefreak wrote:
We are human. It hurts to lose a loved one. And anger is a natural response, especially in situations like a murder.

Yes, it does hurt to lose a loved one--or anyone for that matter. In the past couple of years I've lost friends. They weren't extremely close friends, but they were close enough that I feel the pang of loss.

One was a colleague of mine. Back when I was reasonably healthy, I used to breed exotic birds. She had a bigger business than I did and I would rely on her expertise. She also hand-raised a lot of my babies when my health took a nosedive. We had been out of touch the past few years. I learned that her husband died suddenly. Within a year, she died, too. I found out a couple of months after the fact and felt guilt, grief, loss, etc. I worried about what happened to her large flock of exotic birds.

This is a very small town. I run into people I know constantly, so when I see someone who resembles Judy, my heart gives a little jump of gladness...then plummets into sadness. It happened recently and Judy has been gone for a couple of years now.

However, if I believed that Judy was in heaven and that I would see her at my life's end, the grief I feel would be ameliorated considerably. The same is true of my father.

If there was a heaven, it would be easier to gloss over all human suffering, wouldn't it?

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: If

Iruka Naminori wrote:

If there was a heaven, it would be easier to gloss over all human suffering, wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, there are probably theists that have this attitude. Sort of "they're in heaven so don't worry, be happy". But that is such a gross simplification of human feelings that I can't accept it. Even if a loved on is in a place of bliss we are not and an important part of our lives is no longer there. Is it selfish to feel this way? Maybe partly. But I think it is far more complex. Human emotions are rich and varied. The simplifications of dogmatic thiesm doesn't really do justice to them.   IMHO, that is.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Unfortunately, there are probably theists that have this attitude. Sort of "they're in heaven so don't worry, be happy". But that is such a gross simplification of human feelings that I can't accept it.

I don't see it as an over-simplification of human feelings. I honestly believe that grief over a death would be much less if people had some kind of tangible concept on which to base belief in an afterlife. There is no good evidence of an afterlife, so it's no wonder the cold reality of death trumps a nebulous belief.

My nephew used Hawaii as an analogy. I've never been to Hawaii, but everyone in my immediate family has been there...in fact, very recently. Not only that, but I can go online and buy a flight to Hawaii (couldn't pay for it, but that's beside the point. Eye-wink ). I have seen videos of Hawaii and pictures my family brought back. There is good evidence of the existence of Hawaii. Such evidence is completely lacking in the case of life after death.

So, if I knew my friend was in Hawaii and I couldn't see him again (or at least for a long time), it would be much, much less shocking than if he died.

wavefreak wrote:
Even if a loved on is in a place of bliss we are not and an important part of our lives is no longer there.

Yes. But the grief over a death would be much more than the grief experienced if a loved one moved to Hawaii and couldn't contact you. Perhaps some of this has to do with the pain and suffering that more often than not accompanies death. Still, even if my loved one suffered a completely painless death, I'd be a lot more grief-stricken than if he moved to Hawaii and couldn't see or talk to me for a long time

wavefreak wrote:
Is it selfish to feel this way? Maybe partly. But I think it is far more complex.

I agree with you on this. Yeah, it's selfish, but grief shows a true bond existed. At least I'd like to believe humans are more than completely selfish creatures. Unfortunately, what one wants to believe and what is actually true aren't always the same.

wavefreak wrote:
Human emotions are rich and varied. The simplifications of dogmatic thiesm doesn't really do justice to them. IMHO, that is.

You are always entitled to your opinion...or should be if the Western countries retain their freedoms. Obviously, I think there is a contradiction between overwhelming grief and a belief in an afterlife.

OT: You must be a surfer.  If my body would cooperate, that's a sport I would learn.  I love the ocean.  Where do you surf? 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Yeah,

MattShizzle wrote:
Yeah, that Life is Good song is great. I have that CD.

Dan Barker is a very cool bloke.  I've corresponded with him a bit.  He became an ordained minister in my very insular little county.

He's a wizard of a pianist and I rather like his freethought folk music.  I have his two-CD compilation, Friendly Neighborhood Atheist

I'm a little jealous that he got his parents to follow him out of theism.  I wish I knew his secret! 

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: OT:

Iruka Naminori wrote:

OT: You must be a surfer. If my body would cooperate, that's a sport I would learn. I love the ocean. Where do you surf?

Yes. I am a surfer. My avatar is a picture of me standing on a boat launch on Lake Erie getting ready to jump in. I grew up in San Diego and have surfed in California, Mexico, Hawaii and several East Coast states. I live in Buffalo and regularly surf on the Great Lakes. I plan on retiring in Hawaii. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, I really think some

Okay, I really think some clarification is needed here.

There is a huge difference between belief and knowledge.  I believe that my loved ones (the Christian ones) will go to heaven when they die, but I do not know this to be a fact.  If I knew that a blissful afterlife was an irrefutable fact, then I would have killed myself a long time ago.  

Plus, like wavefreak said, we're human too, just as much as the atheist.  A life of faith is a work in progress.  You don't just suddenly arrive one day with all of the tools necessary to live a perfect life.  That idea is just another example in the long line of straw men you guys love to set up here.  

That said, I certainly have my doubts, even as a Christian.  The afterlife seems absurd, as well as most everything else about my spirituality.  But that's just the problem:  I have the tendency to try and process my spirituality with the logical side of myself, and that never works.  Spirituality is not born from logic, so it is therefore rendered senseless when viewed logically.  

You know, my uncle is dying right now.  He has stage 4 (metastatic) lung cancer which has also spread to his kidneys and adrenal glands.  He's smoked 2 packs a day for probably 40+ years, so I guess it was inevitable.  The thing is, my uncle isn't a Christian.  He's the only person in my family who is not a Christian (aside from the fact that my family considers me a non-Christian, simply because my faith is weak and my beliefs so incredibly different than theirs).  His daughter (my cousin) is really starting to piss me off about the whole thing.  She's very actively involved in her local church, and she's taken this really pious attidude about the whole thing, saying shit like, "I'll miss having dad around, but what really bothers me is the thought of him going to hell."  

I mean, I sympathize with my uncle, definitely moreso than anyone else in the family.  I understand what it's like to simply be unable to believe.  I imagine that many of my family members have had the same nagging doubts, but ultimately lacked the courage to actually voice those doubts.  I'm just afraid that they're really going to start hounding him and pressuring him about "making a decision" in his final months, and that's fucking bullshit.  They need to cherish the time they have with him, and make sure he's able to die comfortably and peacefully, not scream and cry like a bunch of maniacs about heaven and hell.  He's a grown man, and if he doesn't believe, then he just doesn't believe, and it should be left at that.  The thing is, "just leaving it at that" is not part of the whole Christianity thing.  You never leave anything at that - you push it and force it until people break and "make decisions" out of guilt and pressure, or simply just to get you off of their back.  

I swear to God, if my dad or anyone else gets the bright idea to start talking about how "he's in hell" at the funeral, I'll kick their asses. 

So yeah, I'm probably not your standard Christian, but these are just my candid thoughts on the matter.  We have no knowledge of any of this, just these inner beliefs, so it doesn't really make any sense to act like a fool about shit you don't even know about.   

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Okay, I really

jmm wrote:

Okay, I really think some clarification is needed here.

There is a huge difference between belief and knowledge. I believe that my loved ones (the Christian ones) will go to heaven when they die, but I do not know this to be a fact. If I knew that a blissful afterlife was an irrefutable fact, then I would have killed myself a long time ago.

Thank you, Justin.  I was waiting for this response to appear and I did not want to post it myself for fear of being accused thinking this because I am an atheist.  There really is a huge difference, isn't there?

Justin, I am very sorry to hear about your uncle and I have no doubt that it means more to him than you know to have your support.  You are good people.  Keep reminding the family to do exactly what you said - spend time with him.   Set an example and do things with him that he enjoys and feels up to.  Most importantly, talk to him.  Everyone has a story and memories and enjoys sharing them.  Now is the time to remind everyone of the impact he has had on all your lives.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: You know, my

jmm wrote:

You know, my uncle is dying right now. He has stage 4 (metastatic) lung cancer which has also spread to his kidneys and adrenal glands.  . . . His daughter (my cousin) is really starting to piss me off about the whole thing. . . . saying shit like, "I'll miss having dad around, but what really bothers me is the thought of him going to hell."

I'm terribly sorry about your uncle.  Sometimes life sucks.  But just because he's a smoker and non-believer doesn't make someone who does horrible things.  Sounds to me like your cousin is judging in a very non xian way.  

I hope they give the man some peace and don't start giving him a hard time.

jmm wrote:
I swear to God, if my dad or anyone else gets the bright idea to start talking about how "he's in hell" at the funeral, I'll kick their asses.

You not only have my permission, but my encouragement to verbally kick their asses.  Feel free to point out something about casting the first stone.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you, Susan.  Just a

Thank you, Susan. 

Just a little bit of an update on my uncle.  He's gone from 240 lbs to 160 lbs in the last several months.  He's on his death bed right now.  My grandmother called me last night, which is something she never does, and said the oddest thing.  We were just talking about regular things, then she said, "Jim accepted the Lord last night."  And I didn't know what to say.  I truly didn't.  I wanted to be happy, but I know how wild-eyed and forceful my family gets about religion.  I mean, if Jim's happy, I'm happy.  That's all I want for him.  But I just feel like my family scared him into it.  You know, he's in a very compromised state of body and mind, so he's more vulnerable.  I just hope they didn't hound him until he gave in.  The last thing I want for him is for his last months to be filled with anxiety and religious idiocy.  

Ah, but anyway.  I dunno.