Dawkins' Central Argument for Atheism Fails

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dawkins' Central Argument for Atheism Fails

There is a lot of rhetoric and otherwise manipulative prose out there that we must be careful to avoid if we are to seek the truth about reality in an intellectually responsible and careful way. Whether you're theist or atheist, you should be on guard against all forms of sophistry; do not let quick soundbites, dazzling slogans, and other superficialities do your thinking for you. Instead, get to the heart of the matter by closely analyzing the actual arguments that people have.

An argument is valid when its premises lead logically to its conclusion; if we were to accept the premises of a valid argument, then we would be forced, as it were, to accept the conclusion. If an argument is valid, there will be a rule of logical inference that guarantees the conclusion, given the premises. With this in mind, let's look at what Dawkins calls his "central argument":

(1) One of the greatest challenges to the human intellect has been to explain how the complex, improbable appearances of design in the universe arises.

(2) The natural temptation is to attribute the appearance of design to actual design itself.

(3) The temptation is a false one because the designer hypothesis immediately raises the larger problem of who designed the designer.

(4) The most ingenious and powerful explanation is Darwinian evolution by natural selection.

(5) We don't have an equivalent explanation for physics.

(6) We should not give up the hope of a better explanation arising in physics, something as powerful as Darwinism is for biology.

Therefore, God almost certainly does not exist. (157-8, GD)

This argument is invalid, because the conclusion doesn't follow from the premises. If you disagree, then simply respond by stating the logical inference rule that permits one to derive the conclusion from the six antecedent premises. Here is a list of all the inference rules: http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/i9.htm#inru 

Cheers,

Gavagai

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: All attempts to

Quote:
All attempts to turn lead into gold have failed throughout history.... doesn't mean it won't happen at some point. Smiling

Feh.  I'll forgive you for this because I know you know better Eye-wink

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

evil religion
evil religion's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai wrote:

Gavagai wrote:

Vessel,

The fact that Dawkins' central argument is invalid is not as trivial a matter as you make it out to be.

And if you demonstrate this then we have something to discuss. So far you have misrepresented a summary of points as being his base premises. These are different things.

Quote:
Apparently, you haven't noticed that many people (here and elsewhere) find him quite persuasive. It only takes a modicum of experience in philosophy and logic to see that his arguments are flimsy.

Well I have more than a modicum of experience in both philosophy and logic having attained a degree in the subject and I can tell you I do not find his arguments flimsy. There is room for improvement in Dawkins work and by its own admission its not meant to be a complete philosophical work. There are many points where we could get into an interesting and genuine discussion about what Dawkins is saying in the God Delusion but this simply is not one of them I'm afraid. Any one with modicum of experience in philosophy or logic would know this.

Quote:
Many people in our consumer-driven culture don't like thinking too hard about things. They want quick fixes and easy answers. And this is what Dawkins has delivered, rather than rigorous and sound argumentation.

Indeed it’s a book for lay people. But this does not detract from the validity of the central message. Yes you can get technical on a number of points, we could get involved in a very detailed metaphysical discussion, or a discussion on the nature of causation or a number of other topics but that would not really have bean book that would appeal.

Also we can oft get caught up in philosophical mental masturbation with these issues. It’s really very simple when it comes down to it. As another poster summed its up

P1- Complex things can't magically pop into existence

P2- God is complex

C- God is either caused naturally by a process like evolution or does not exist.

It’s really that simple. The only reason we get caught up in over philosophizing on this very simple issue is due to millennia of cultural indoctrination. If the God Theory where proposed today as a new theory that no one had heard of before it would simply be laughed at, no one with a modicum of philosophical or logical experience would take it seriously. On its own merits it is a laughable theory, childlike in its Bronze Age reasoning.

The only reason we are even having this discussion is because God Theory is not allowed to be judged on its own merits, it has layers of cultural protection afforded to it like no other idea in human history. Once you strip away the layers of cultural protection and look at it for what it is its really really daft. It does not make any sense what so ever. It fails on so many levels that one is left wondering how anyone with a modicum of philosophical or logical experience can possibly fall for it. This I think is what Dawkins is looking to achieve in his book. If people can free themselves from this indoctrination and look at God Theory objectively and unclouded by the special protections so often afforded to God then any one with the necessary modicums of experience will see that its a load of old tosh. We don't need to get involved in technical philosophical discussions look at objectively God Theory it’s almost self evidently false.

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: You mean god

Quote:
You mean god couldn't have been clever enough to put enough um... whatever he needed... in the book to keep those silly uneducated bronze age folks in a proper state of kiss-ass and still slip in a little something about relativity for us smart folks that have figured out how illogical the rest of the religion is?

That's pretty.. umm.. "temporally-centric" of you.  Whose to say that we are not the "silly uneducated" people and 6000 years from now they won't see things differently? Laughing out loud

No.. seriously.. I mean.. if I apply the logic differently.  Heh.  Or perhaps I'm not serious.. I don't even know these days (it's pretty late, and my memo is coming along slowly).

Nonetheless, I'm sure the bronze age people didn't think they were uneducated. Smiling

Quote:
I mean, seriously... I don't usually argue about Christianity because it's so absurd.  I mean really... come on already... the premise is just stupid!  God, in his infinite wisdom, created man flawed, then punished him unless he killed goats properly.  Then, he fulfilled his divine and perfect master plan by coming down to earth and getting himself killed, thereby allowing himself to forgive us for being the way he made us, so that we can live forever and tell him how fabulous he is.

This makes so many assertions about Christians that are not necessarily true... or, perhaps, unreasonably misleading.. i don't know where to start.

Nor do I need to! I will just let it stand. 

Quote:
It's just crazy, and I'd much rather deal with the absurdity of a god in the first place.  (I wonder if the Christians here have considered that even if they could somehow prove a god they'd still have a very hard time making a connection to their god!)

I'm sure they have-- or at least some have. 

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Feh.  I'll forgive

Quote:
Feh.  I'll forgive you for this because I know you know better Eye-wink

Or was I? [Cue the three beat dramatic music]

Yes.. yes I was.  Partially-in-whole-none. 

Rev_Devilin
Rev_Devilin's picture
User is offlineOffline
RhadTheGizmo wrote: All

RhadTheGizmo wrote:

All attempts to turn lead into gold have failed throughout history.... doesn't mean it won't happen at some point. Smiling

fusion reactor Smiling

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:

Quote:

P1- Complex things can't magically pop into existence

P2- God is complex

C- God is either caused naturally by a process like evolution or does not exist.

Even if I accept P1-- people usually mistake P2 as self-evident. I would contend, however, that there iit is not.

God is not necessarily complex. God is not necessarily simple.

To give it give a way in which I might address the premise: "God is as simple as the culmination of all physical laws."

True, you could dismiss the premise out of hand-- however, if you consider it for a moment you are presented with a reasonable progression of thought:

P: God is as simple as physical as the culmination of all physical laws.

P: Physical laws came into existence, necessarily, through non-evolutionary means.

C: God could have come about through non-evolutionary means.

Granted.. once again, let me state, that someone will probably argue the validity of the analogy, stating that "physical laws is a concept of relationships and not an entity in fact, as God supposedly is."

Yet.. if this is the argument, then the arguer will merely be adding more assertions to the argument that have not yet been accepted or addressed.

Is God NECESSARILY an entity in fact? Hm... who knows. Perhaps he is merely a universal, relational, concept.

In anycase.. merely addressing the thing which is "really simple"--

RhadTheGizmo
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote: fusion reactor

Quote:
fusion reactor Smiling

Hasn't worked for me yet.. all my fusion reactor has done is blow up the lead.  Stupid fusion...... :P 

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai

Gavagai wrote:

Vessel,

The fact that Dawkins' central argument is invalid is not as trivial a matter as you make it out to be. Apparently, you haven't noticed that many people (here and elsewhere) find him quite persuasive. It only takes a modicum of experience in philosophy and logic to see that his arguments are flimsy. Many people in our consumer-driven culture don't like thinking too hard about things. They want quick fixes and easy answers. And this is what Dawkins has delivered, rather than rigorous and sound argumentation.  Even a very prominent atheist philosopher I know of has said that Dawkins makes him embarrassed to be an atheist.

Gavagai

Somewhere I read that Dawkins has a website. I've also heard that said website has a forum. Someone told me that in this forum you can leave questions. Maybe even questions like, "did you mean for the God Delusion to be a logical proof against God?"

This whole thread strikes me as mental masterbation when you can just ask the man himself.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: This whole thread

Quote:
This whole thread strikes me as mental masterbation when you can just ask the man himself.

Gasp!

What a crazy idea! It's just so crazy, it might work!

Now... I will reiterate what I have reiterated several times since my initial iteration...

"X could be different than we think it is, therefore Y is possible" is simply a deflection -- a red herring. Until and unless we have an actual proposition on the table for how a thing could be different, then all we're talking about is unsubstantiated speculation.

If there's a way for god to exist as a simple being, kindly explain how. If supernatural has an ontology, kindly provide it. Until then, please stop pretending that just because you can postulate something, that it has credibility, and ought to be viewed as a viable alternative to what we observe and deduce from existing ontologies and empirical data.

I'm tired of all the philosophical spooge on the inside of my monitor.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai wrote: With this

Gavagai wrote:

With this in mind, let's look at what Dawkins calls his "central argument":

(Set of six statements that follows snipped)

Gavagai: It may be factually incorrect to say that Dawkins calls this his "central argument."

Here's the actual introduction to the set of six statements you summarized:

"This chapter has contained the central argument of my book, and so, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I shall summarize it as a series of six numbered points."  (God Delusion p157)

It is clear from this statement that Dawkins says that the *chapter* contains his central argument. The antecedent of "it" in the second independent clause could be "argument" as you postulate, or it could be "chapter."  (There's no way to be sure because of the way that English is structured.)  If the antecedent of "it" is the chapter, not the argument, then the summary is not represented as an argument, but rather as a chapter summary.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vessel wrote: considering

Vessel wrote:

considering the fact that the purpose of this thread is stating that an obviously flawed argument (strawman or not) is flawed. I suppose I could keep up with the thread simply for entertaining usage of literary devices. 

It's not obvious to a lot of people, Vessel.

Gavagai

Rude, offensive, irrational jackass.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: It is clear from

Quote:
It is clear from this statement that Dawkins says that the *chapter* contains his central argument. The antecedent of "it" in the second independent clause could be "argument" as you postulate, or it could be "chapter." (There's no way to be sure because of the way that English is structured.) If the antecedent of "it" is the chapter, not the argument, then the summary is not represented as an argument, but rather as a chapter summary.

argument:

5.an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.
6.subject matter; theme: The central argument of his paper was presented clearly.
7.an abstract or summary of the major points in a work of prose or poetry, or of sections of such a work.

Books about atheism

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crimson, CrimsonEdge

Crimson,

CrimsonEdge wrote:

I would really enjoy a response to Rev_Devilin. The topic creator seems to be avoiding it, or perhaps he missed it. Whatever the case, I would enjoy seeing a response to it.

I would be glad to do so. I must have missed it. What did he say specifically that you feel deserves a response from me?

Cheers,

Gavagai

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, Hambydammit

Hamby,

Hambydammit wrote:

Also, what I see is theists saying, "See... he used the words 'number' and 'argument'. Therefore, he's making a logical argument!"

Right. By "argument" I take Dawkins to have in mind the ordinary sense of that word: roughly, a series of statements leading logically to a conclusion of some sort.  Are you prepared to suggest that when Dawkins says "argument" he doesn't mean "logical argument"? That would surely be interesting. 

Quote:
The point I, and lots of others, have been making, is that this is a very subtle (and very well articulated, yet again... props to the OP for being very well spoken... um... typen...) attempt to deflect/distract/conflate.

I don't see why that is. Dawkins is the one, after all, calling it his central argument. I'm just going along with what he says. The atheists here are coming up with the weird excuse that Dawkins doesn't really mean what he says.

Quote:
Whether Dawkins made an argument or not is irrelevant. We do not hold to Dawkins the way theists hold to their dogma. If Dawkins did mean that as an argument (which I doubt, but am open to the possibility) then he needs to refine it. If, as I suspect, he was writing six points, numbered for ease of separation, for laypersons not familiar with science or critical thinking, then this OP is disengenuous at best, and dishonest at worst.

It would be nice if those six statements were not intended as an argument, but rather bullet points or something. Unfortunately, Dawkins quite explicitly considers it his "central argument", so we need to evaluate it as such. How this makes me dishonest I do not know.

Cheers,

Gavagai

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

argument:

5. an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.
6. subject matter; theme: The central argument of his paper was presented clearly.
7. an abstract or summary of the major points in a work of prose or poetry, or of sections of such a work.

What's difficult about this?

Books about atheism

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
User is offlineOffline
Textom,I just noticed your

Textom,

Quote:

"This chapter has contained the central argument of my book, and so, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I shall summarize it as a series of six numbered points."  (God Delusion p157)

The antecedent of "it" in the second independent clause could be "argument" as you postulate, or it could be "chapter."  (There's no way to be sure because of the way that English is structured.) 

I just noticed your post. I have to hand it to you. That's a very good point. I see now that the sentence smacks of ambiguity. I think charity requires us now to assume that Dawkins meant to summarize the chapter in which his central argument can be found, but not the central argument itself (whatever it is). Point conceded. Subject dropped.

Cheers,

Gavagai

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you, G.  It means a

Thank you, G.  It means a lot to know that you're not here just to prove that you're correct, but rather to learn from the exchange of ideas.

I hope you realize that though we have disagreed on many points, I respect the fact that you're doing your best to actually answer objections and understand what we're saying.  If we never come to an agreement on all subjects, it's still a productive dialog for both sides, and that means a lot.  I wish more theists were like you.

Books about atheism

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai

Gavagai wrote:

Textom,

Quote:

"This chapter has contained the central argument of my book, and so, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I shall summarize it as a series of six numbered points." (God Delusion p157)

The antecedent of "it" in the second independent clause could be "argument" as you postulate, or it could be "chapter." (There's no way to be sure because of the way that English is structured.)

I just noticed your post. I have to hand it to you. That's a very good point. I see now that the sentence smacks of ambiguity. I think charity requires us now to assume that Dawkins meant to summarize the chapter in which his central argument can be found, but not the central argument itself (whatever it is). Point conceded. Subject dropped.

Cheers,

Gavagai

Thank you, Gav.  I concur with Hamby on your even-handedness.

Score one for grammar--the most overlooked of the seven classical liberal arts. 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Wyzaard
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai wrote: Yes, I

Gavagai wrote:

Yes, I think it's important to find out the truth about reality. What are you getting at?

Why do you think that's important?  Is this even a reasonable question? 

Quote:
Even with the conclusion "Therefore, belief in God for explanation is unncessary", the argument is invalid.

If there are reasonable alternative explanations for 'creation', then it is not necessary to believe in a 'creator' god.  Of course, you could go ahead and do so anyway... but there's no necessity to do so.