Atheistic Music

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistic Music

Can any atheist give me an example of an atheist musician or group. Music is transcendental and not exactly secular.

I love The Who and Pete; I find him talented and "spiritual", even though he questions his spirituality.

Does atheistic music exist?

I asked to be banned, so I was banned.

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's an

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Just another beautiful

"Just another beautiful story" by Regurgitator

all that i am and all i'll ever be
is a brain in a body
all that i know and all i'll ever see
is the real things around me

all i've heard and it's true
there ain't no god there's just me and you
i don't see a point to this place
but i'm happy to be floating in space

i won't mind if you're holding my hand
and life seems so fine when you don't understand it
the world turns around and it don't give a damn
if we all die away and we never come back again 

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greydon

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bad Religion Crass - very

Bad Religion

Crass - very anti-religion (anti-America too) they were a 70's punk band.  Pretty offensive for those that get offended. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Corporate Avenger has some.

Corporate Avenger has some. Also Dan Barker fro the Freedom From Religion Foundation (former minister, used to write Christian Songs.) Proclaim, Amanda Bloom, Kirsten Lems.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad that someone

I'm glad that someone created a thread about this, because I had been wondering something similar myself.  On this board I've seen very little talk about art, be it visual art, music, film, fiction literature, etc.  If any form of art is mentioned (usually film and literature), it's usually a documentary or a non-fiction treatise on atheism. 

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not sure atheist music can

Not sure atheist music can exist

Skyclad have always made me smile. Not really atheist..their name comes from Wicca and means ritual nudity.

This one is more about....essential 'desires'. There may be an atheist tone.

Sins Of Emission

There's a beast in the cellar
There since this building was made.
He's lurked in the shadows
From when its' foundations were laid.

From my "double-helix" he taunts me
His primal voice roars
It mocks my humanity
Turning the key in locked doors.

Sins of emission - an animal trapped in a civilised mind
Sins of emission - my formal facade for the deaf, dumb and blind.
Sins of emission - spilling my seed now the harvest is sown
Sins of emission - come feast on a banquet of blood, flesh and bone.

Though we try to deny
This primordial drive in us all
We will cease to exist
When we no longer heed nature's call.

I'm a puppet of lust and my instincts are pulling the strings
No, love's not an angel - it's merely a monkey with wings.

Sins of emission - enticing and thrilling
Sins of emission - the flesh is so willing
Sins of emission - down under my skin
Sins of emission - we're all "in like Flynn."

Temptation's the one thing we'll never resist
It flirts like a maiden that yearns to be kissed
Is throwing the cradle to hells raging fires
More sinful than nursing unacted desires?

Hold tightly the reins
Of your bestial instinct to breed
He's an unwelcome guest
In the "house-trained" existence you lead

How long can you muzzle this wild brute creation of yours?
You can't quarantine the primeval with walls, bars and doors.

Sins of emission - an animal trapped in a civilised mind
Sins of emission - my formal facade for the deaf, dumb and blind.
Sins of emission - spilling my seed now the harvest is sown
Sins of emission - come feast on a banquet of blood, flesh and bone.

And

A Clown Of Thorns

Walking my personal calvary mile to a do-it-yourself crucifixion,
It's a kingdom of clowns wearing martyrdom's frown -
I must fight for my hammer and nails,
We're an endless procession of lost, dispossessed unbelievers -
Whose prayers go unheard and unanswered,
(unheard and unanswered like junk mail for Jesus).

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
duh, me! sorry, i'm not

duh, me!

sorry, i'm not really that big of an ass. but seriously, i'm an atheist artist/musician. follow the links below on my signature line and you can see my artwork, hear my songs, view my music videos for said songs. my art isn't really atheist, just goofy comic-style horror themed stuff. but several of my songs are very atheism oriented, others are very political with an atheist slant. "godless america" seems to get the most attention on youtube. 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

AtheistInWonderland
RRS local affiliate
User is offlineOffline

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: Greydon

mindspread wrote:

Greydon Square

http://www.myspace.com/greydonsquare

He's not the best MC in the world, but the music on the first 3 tracks was surprisingly good.   

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it just me who thinks

Is it just me who thinks that people who label themselves as atheist musicians are committing the same dreadful error as Christian musicians?

Bluntly, who cares as long as the tune rocks? 

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: Is it

The Patrician wrote:

Is it just me who thinks that people who label themselves as atheist musicians are committing the same dreadful error as Christian musicians?

Exactly.  That's my thought on the matter.  I don't care what musicians believe, just as long as the music is esthetically and artistically pleasing.  I've never really been big on agenda-driven music anyway, be it political or religious or whatever.  The few Christian bands that I listen to find their way into my CD player because the music is good, not because they believe the same things I do.   

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
More to the point. What can

More to the point.

What can atheists make music about?

Atheist music thrives off theism! The motivation could never be just 'atheism'.

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Patrician wrote: Is it

The Patrician wrote:

I honestly don't know any band that would necessarily label itself 'atheist'.  There are certainly anti-religious bands out there but the only one I know of is Crass. Which was anti-everything. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: I'm glad that

jmm wrote:
I'm glad that someone created a thread about this, because I had been wondering something similar myself. On this board I've seen very little talk about art, be it visual art, music, film, fiction literature, etc. If any form of art is mentioned (usually film and literature), it's usually a documentary or a non-fiction treatise on atheism.

You're quite right.  There have been a few threads here and there, mostly pertaining to music, but the arts are a bit lacking.  From what I understand, there are a few artists on the forum.   Not quite sure why. 

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: From

pariahjane wrote:

From what I understand, there are a few artists on the forum. Not quite sure why.

why not? 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cernunnos wrote:   What

Cernunnos wrote:

Atheist music thrives off theism! 

i'm an atheist who makes music, and there's a million things i can make music about. when you write a song you're just expressing your opinion or telling a story. atheism affects my opinion on several issues and even if a song is not specifically about religion, it's still no suprise to see my atheist perspective represented in some way. out of the 17 or so songs i have on my website, only 2 of them actually center on religion as the main theme of the lyrics, but in at least a dozen others which cover a variety of social/political topics you can find some kind of atheistic reference, subtle or otherwise. so to answer the question "what can atheists make music about", i would say anything i damn well please. why in the world would there be any other answer?

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Randalllord wrote: Here's

Randalllord wrote:

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2pJp9ACg8 

This link did not work

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Randalllord wrote:

Here's an example:

This link did not work

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: duh,

djneibarger wrote:

duh, me!

sorry, i'm not really that big of an ass. but seriously, i'm an atheist artist/musician. follow the links below on my signature line and you can see my artwork, hear my songs, view my music videos for said songs. my art isn't really atheist, just goofy comic-style horror themed stuff. but several of my songs are very atheism oriented, others are very political with an atheist slant. "godless america" seems to get the most attention on youtube. 

I liked 'Godless America' and 'Enemy Within'.  Great job on the videos.

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I found this very

I found this very interesting.

"Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827) was raised Catholic but quit the church and adopted Goethe's Pantheism -- the belief that "god" is the same as the forces and laws of nature.  Although a lifelong atheist, on his death bed, he yielded to Catholic friends and let a priest administer the sacraments. When the priest left, Beethoven quoted the Latin words from the ancient Roman theater, "Applaud, my friends, the comedy is over."

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deviant wrote: I liked

Deviant wrote:

I liked 'Godless America' and 'Enemy Within'. Great job on the videos.

thanks Smiling 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline

Randalllord wrote:

Here's an example:

Fixed link. 

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: what can atheists

Quote:
what can atheists make music about", i would say anything i damn well please. why in the world would there be any other answer?

My post was in error. Sorry.

I guess pressed 'post comment' too quickly. I didn't mean atheists can't make music about anything they want. I just don't see why music should be catergorised as atheist (surely there aint that much 'no god' material!). Plus there's too many superfluous genres as is.

I tend to think of atheism as largely irrelevant, it is a single statement to me nothing else. Granted your view will reflect in your music. 

Quote:
atheism affects my opinion on several issues

We have different views on what atheism is.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cernunnos wrote: More to

Cernunnos wrote:

More to the point.

Atheist music thrives off theism! The motivation could never be just 'atheism'.

Atheists can make music about any number of things. You know, things that don't relate to a god at all.

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I guess that music and the

I guess that music and the arts are driven by inspiration. Some people find that inspiration through 'god' or being 'spiritual' or through nature or some other source. 

Agree with The Patrician:

Quote:

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Randalllord

BGH wrote:
Randalllord wrote:

Here's an example:

Fixed link. 

LMFAO Laughing out loud

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cernunnos

Cernunnos wrote:

Quote:
what can atheists make music about", i would say anything i damn well please. why in the world would there be any other answer?

My post was in error. Sorry.

I guess pressed 'post comment' too quickly. I didn't mean atheists can't make music about anything they want. I just don't see why music should be catergorised as atheist (surely there aint that much 'no god' material!). Plus there's too many superfluous genres as is.

I tend to think of atheism as largely irrelevant, it is a single statement to me nothing else. Granted your view will reflect in your music.

Quote:
atheism affects my opinion on several issues

We have different views on what atheism is. 

i guess the label "atheist musician" is a misnomer. the correct description would be a musician who is openly atheist. speaking for myself, i put atheism upfront in many of my lyrics because i'm proud of it and i don't care who knows. my song "godless america" is arrogant, i admit that. but i simply don't care, because my songs are my art and my art is me, and i'm an arrogant, proud atheist.

and there really are many, many ways that my atheism can be expressed that don't simply revolve around "no god". a song i'm recording right now, called "captivity", is about the oppression of women through religion, and disproving god isn't a factor in those lyrics. 

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
djneibarger wrote: i guess

djneibarger wrote:

i guess the label "atheist musician" is a misnomer. the correct description would be a musician who is openly atheist.

I totally agree and the title I gave to this thread may not have been the best choice of words.

Gavagai
Theist
Gavagai's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Quote: Crass - very

Quote:
Crass - very anti-religion (anti-America too) they were a 70's punk band. Pretty offensive for those that get offended.

Good call. I used to be a big fan of Crass (and Conflict, Zounds, Subhumans, et al.).

Dead Kennedys is also a good atheist-friendly punk band.

Rude, offensive, irrational jackass.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: The

pariahjane wrote:
The Patrician wrote:

I honestly don't know any band that would necessarily label itself 'atheist'.  There are certainly anti-religious bands out there but the only one I know of is Crass. Which was anti-everything. 

I know at least really obvious one... Smiling
http://www.myspace.com/atheisttheband   (unofficial myspace page for ATHEIST) 

Great progressive death metal, probably most like the later Death albums or someone like Pestilence or Gorguts.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gavagai

Gavagai wrote:

Quote:
Crass - very anti-religion (anti-America too) they were a 70's punk band. Pretty offensive for those that get offended.

Good call. I used to be a big fan of Crass (and Conflict, Zounds, Subhumans, et al.).

Dead Kennedys is also a good atheist-friendly punk band.

Dead Kennedys are the best!  Holiday in Cambodia, that's all I have to say.  lol.

Never heard Conflict or Zounds.  I'll have to look them up. 

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: I know

stuntgibbon wrote:

Great progressive death metal, probably most like the later Death albums or someone like Pestilence or Gorguts.

Is it me or did this link not work?

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wrote a song at the age

I wrote a song at the age of 13 about atheism called "don't believe".

My mother somehow found out and told me to delete all the copies of it I had and never sing it again, or she would sell all of my musical instruments and make me quit band. Her reasoning: "I won't let you write atheist music any more than I'd let you write Neo-Nazi music. They're basically the same thing."

What an asshole.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
theotherguy wrote:  "I

theotherguy wrote:

"I won't let you write atheist music any more than I'd let you write Neo-Nazi music. They're basically the same thing."

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deviant wrote: stuntgibbon

Deviant wrote:
stuntgibbon wrote:

Is it me or did this link not work?

Hmm, worked last night.  Here's another one:  http://www.myspace.com/atheist1 

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: I know

stuntgibbon wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/atheisttheband(unofficial myspace page for ATHEIST)

Link is fixed! 

Deviant
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: Link is fixed!

BGH wrote:
Link is fixed!

You are the man for fixing links!!! If I could prove 'god's' existence, I would say you are divine Laughing out loud

Perhaps you are just good at fixing things.