what about deists?

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
what about deists?

Diests believe in a kind of "higher power", but certainly not the theist god....I myself tend to go back and forth betweend deism and agnosticism. just wondering what the general opinion is on deism here?

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
My overall impression is

My overall impression is that deists catch a lot of flak from both sides.  I'm not sure why, but maybe it's a kind of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too stance on the existence of God.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
kind of, only deists believe

kind of, only deists believe in a natural god, that doesn't take an interest in the world and doesn't answer prayers. check out http://www.deism.com/

Fish
User is offlineOffline
The website seems to be

The website seems to be full of pretty weak arguments (mostly from design).

I have only been able to read a couple of the articles, and focused on the ones about deism v. atheism, so maybe you can provide more details, but for the most part it doesn't seem to be any different from any other religion in the sense that there is no compelling reason to believe in god (even a "passive" one).

blueocean
Theist
User is offlineOffline
true enough about the

true enough about the compelling reason, but deism doesn't bother me b/c it doesn't claim to have all the answers, it doesn't try to get into government and science, it doesn't demand that people follow blindly, it encourages questioning and reason. and most importantly, it doesn't tell you you're going to burn if you don't believe it. it's a take it or leave it thing. many of our founding fathers were deists. and they did a good job separating church and state (despite what some christians will tell you). as far as separation of church and state goes, a deist and an atheist would probably have very similar views. so deism doesn't bother me.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
friendlyagnostic

friendlyagnostic wrote:
Diests believe in a kind of "higher power", but certainly not the theist god....I myself tend to go back and forth betweend deism and agnosticism. just wondering what the general opinion is on deism here?

Some of my best friends are deists!!  LOL

Deism is fine (shrug) but IMO sort of useless.  Kind of a security blanket for believers, which is fine and since my main issue with religion is it's interference in government, deists don't bother me one bit.  There are some on this site along with some pantheists and for the most part I think they share similar ideology regarding critical thinking that atheists do.

Btw, finding a general opinion on any subject in a group of atheists is like finding a diamond in a sea of coal.  Sometimes I wonder if I should find less opinionated and dumber friends just so I don't have to work so hard intellectually, but then I realize I don't  want to go to church.  (j/k Wink)

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Deism is fine

jce wrote:

Deism is fine (shrug) but IMO sort of useless. Kind of a security blanket for believers, which is fine and since my main issue with religion is it's interference in government, deists don't bother me one bit. There are some on this site along with some pantheists and for the most part I think they share similar ideology regarding critical thinking that atheists do.

I agree with JCE here, deism seems to be an ultimate non-answer. If a god is going to be pushed so far out into the margins of knowledge, why use it as an answer? 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism sucks. What's the

Deism sucks. What's the point of having a god that doesn't do anything? At least my God is tasty.

friendlyagnostic
User is offlineOffline
thanks for all the comments.

thanks for all the comments. I definitely find them interesting. I've noticed deists and pantheists on here too..........

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
friendlyagnostic

friendlyagnostic wrote:
thanks for all the comments. I definitely find them interesting. I've noticed deists and pantheists on here too..........

I'm a waffle-ist 

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deism doesn't really bother

Deism doesn't really bother me, but I dont consider deists  to be very theistic at all. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:   I'm a

wavefreak wrote:

I'm a waffle-ist

Wavefreak, honey, I love you but you have seriously got to pull that fence post out of your ass and pick a side!! (j/k LOL)