Atheism does not exist

afreakofthejesustype
Theist
afreakofthejesustype's picture
Posts: 1
Joined: 2007-07-11
User is offlineOffline
Atheism does not exist

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

— Brennan Manning


Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
Posts: 428
Joined: 2007-02-11
User is offlineOffline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

Uh, no.  Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god.  You aren't an agnostic in regards to the tooth fairy, just because you can't know 100% if the tooth fairy exists, are you?   Thanks for the crappy, rehashed argument though.  And thanks for stopping by.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."


JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
Posts: 1219
Joined: 2007-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Roisin Dubh

Roisin Dubh wrote:
afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

Uh, no. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god. You aren't an agnostic in regards to the tooth fairy, just because you can't know 100% if the tooth fairy exists, are you? Thanks for the crappy, rehashed argument though. And thanks for stopping by.

I'm not god?  Damnit!  They told me I could be god in the last Atheists Anonymous meeting!! 


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

 

The problem with this is the difference between knowing and believing. Perhaps to KNOW there is no god you would have to know everything (how would you know that you know everything?. But it is not required to know everything to hold a belief. There are atheists that would change their stance if sufficient evidence were supplied.  


LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
Posts: 768
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

Also, to be a True Atheist (or a TA as I like to call them) you also have to put jelly beans in your nostrils, and then fire them at bypassers at the mall.

You must also be some sort of cat.


D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
Posts: 715
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

To be a true Christian you must have homoerotic fantasies about jerking Jesus off.  To simply jerk yourself off would, in return, make you Jesus yourself.

Two can play at stupid arguments.  Wanna go another round or is your keyboard too sticky? 


BGH
BGH's picture
Posts: 2772
Joined: 2006-09-28
User is offlineOffline
Wheeeee this is fun, a

Wheeeee this is fun, a re-hash of an argument refuted eons ago posted by a scared little theist who feels threatened by people who do not believe in his magic friend.

Guess what, according to your logic a true theist does not exist either. You do not know, nor can you prove that your 'god' exists, rather you just feel 'touched'. That, my friend, is not proof.

Therefore you are not a theist but rather you are also agnostic.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13481
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

You are right we have heard this before and you are wrong, we are atheists. The admision of  us hearing this before says you have a sever lack of contact with atheists and probibly dont know the history of the word atheist, theist or agnostic. If you did you wouldnt bother beating a dead horse with a fallacy.

I'd suggest you do more research before you bring an amature argument and present it to pros. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
Posts: 3221
Joined: 2007-01-28
User is offlineOffline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

 

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

I would not copy from Ray Comfort or CARM, as neither of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer. Here, you are commiting a fallacy of negative proof. Absolute knowledge is not required to make a negative claim! If it were, a proposition could be defended solely on grounds that the opposition cannot dismiss it due to lack of knowledge! It's an epistemic black hole. The burden of proof will always rest on the positive claimant. Also, I think you need some clarification of terms.

A weak atheist makes a negative claim I do not believe that God exists. A weak atheist holds that there is no evidence for God and proofs of God (cosmology, design etc) are invalid, hence there is no reason to accept God without evidence. In this case, the weak atheist is making a valid negative claim. This is cogent but non-binding, meaning that the weak atheist does not know without doubt that God does not exist, they never claimed that, hence making your claim an invalid non sequitor (the claim that absolute knowledge is required to dismiss the concept of God). this is false because the weak atheist position is that were evidence to come along for God, they would either counter it or abdicate their position. I have neve, ever heard a weak atheist claim they know beyond doubt that God does not exist. 
 
Another example of the fallacious CARM/Comfort reasoning you are employing is the person who claims that fairies do not exist. To say with absolute certainty that fairies do not exist would require absolute knowledge, hence the correct thing to do is say that it is utterly absurd to believe that fairies exist without evidence therefore, being that the burden of proof rests on the claimant (fairies do exist), the correct thing to do is to not believe in fairies, unless something comes to light which will make you revise your position (evidence). OR you could make a positive claim allowing you to say with confidence that fairies do not exist, for example, a deductive argument against faitries (physiologically impossible etc), this is analogous to the strong atheist position , shown below.

 

A strong atheist goes a little further and says I believe God does not exist. This is a positive claim. The strong atheist holds that in addition to the invalidity of theist arguments, there are deductive arguments against God. If there is a deductive argument against God, then absolute knowledge is not required to dismiss the concept.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism


Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
Posts: 296
Joined: 2007-06-27
User is offlineOffline
Some Jesusfag wrote: So

Some Jesusfag wrote:
So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

First of all, this is a No True Scotsman.

Second of all, atheism vs. theism answers the question, "Do you believe in God(s)?" Gnosticism/Agnosticism deals with whether or not people can(G) or cannot(A) know whether or not any gods exist.

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.


ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
Posts: 402
Joined: 2007-05-20
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Also, to be a True Atheist (or a TA as I like to call them) you also have to put jelly beans in your nostrils, and then fire them at bypassers at the mall.

You must also be some sort of cat.

Damn, I'm only half qualified.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
afreakofthejesustype

afreakofthejesustype wrote:

So here is my point, you may have heard this argument before but hey here is just once point.

To be a True Atheist you must know without a doubt that there is no God, which would make you all knowing, which in return would make you God yourself.

you cannot be an atheist only agnostic!!!!!

so, since YOU can't prove without a doubt that there IS a god, that would mean that Theism does not exist, either. you cannot be a theist only agnostic!! i love this game!!! wheee!!!

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


Fish
Posts: 315
Joined: 2007-05-31
User is offlineOffline
God came to me in a vision

God came to me in a vision and told me He does not exist. Therefore, through Divine Revelation, I am indeed a True Atheist.


MattShizzle
Posts: 7966
Joined: 2006-03-31
User is offlineOffline


LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
Posts: 768
Joined: 2007-05-22
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:
LosingStreak06 wrote:

Also, to be a True Atheist (or a TA as I like to call them) you also have to put jelly beans in your nostrils, and then fire them at bypassers at the mall.

You must also be some sort of cat.

Damn, I'm only half qualified.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Half-breeds aren't all that uncommon anymore. 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Stop it!!! You're making my

Stop it!!!

You're making my ears bleed!!!

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: God came to me

Fish wrote:
God came to me in a vision and told me He does not exist. Therefore, through Divine Revelation, I am indeed a True Atheist.

 

Only if you believe what he said was true. So lets examine this.

 

God said, "I do not exist".

 

If it is true that god does not exist, then it wasn't god revealing this to you and you can't call it divine revelation.

If it is false that god does not exist, then whoever revealed this to you was lying and is not god so you can't call it divine revelation.

Since you believe that it was divine revelation even in the face of logic, you are delusional.

 Therefor, all True Atheists are delusional


Fish
Posts: 315
Joined: 2007-05-31
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

...

Since you believe that it was divine revelation even in the face of logic, you are delusional.

Therefor, all True Atheists are delusional

1. One delusional True Atheist = all True Atheists are delusional?

2. Since when does a Divine Revelation need to follow rules of logic?


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: wavefreak

Fish wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

...

Since you believe that it was divine revelation even in the face of logic, you are delusional.

Therefor, all True Atheists are delusional

1. One delusional True Atheist = all True Atheists are delusional?

2. Since when does a Divine Revelation need to follow rules of logic?

 

I do hope you saw the facetious nature of my "proof". 


Fish
Posts: 315
Joined: 2007-05-31
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
Fish wrote:

wavefreak wrote:

...

Since you believe that it was divine revelation even in the face of logic, you are delusional.

Therefor, all True Atheists are delusional

1. One delusional True Atheist = all True Atheists are delusional?

2. Since when does a Divine Revelation need to follow rules of logic?

 

I do hope you saw the facetious nature of my "proof".

I'm fairly certain this entire thread is pretty facetious Eye-wink

(or at least all the replies) 


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
Consider:  The most


Consider:  The most powerful being in the universe... god... would be the one who could do absolutely anything, right?  Well, if he exists, then he cannot do absolutely anything, since he can't "not exist."  If, however, he could accomplish anything, including existing while not existing, then he would be the most powerful being imaginable.  His whisper, then, proves that he has accomplished this feat.

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
Posts: 1825
Joined: 2007-05-10
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Consider: The most powerful being in the universe... god... would be the one who could do absolutely anything, right? Well, if he exists, then he cannot do absolutely anything, since he can't "not exist." If, however, he could accomplish anything, including existing while not existing, then he would be the most powerful being imaginable. His whisper, then, proves that he has accomplished this feat.

 

 

 

Did you hear about the boat that could neither float nor sink? It's parked between a pair o' docks. 


Ophios
Ophios's picture
Posts: 909
Joined: 2006-09-19
User is offlineOffline
So do I have to KNOW

So do I have to KNOW everything
 to BELIEVE that there isn't milk in the fridge right now?

So I have to KNOW everthing to BELIEVE that There isn't a police phone booth floating in space right now?

 

You don't have to know, to believe or not believe.

You just have to believe, or not believe, simple as that.

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.


jcgadfly
SuperfanBronze Member
Posts: 6789
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: So do I have

Ophios wrote:

So do I have to KNOW everything
to BELIEVE that there isn't milk in the fridge right now?

So I have to KNOW everthing to BELIEVE that There isn't a police phone booth floating in space right now?

 

You don't have to know, to believe or not believe.

You just have to believe, or not believe, simple as that.

I've brought that up with several Christians recently - If I know something, I don't have to believe it. Knowledge is a stronger standard.

They look at me like they've never heard that before. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin