from your happy neighborhood theist :) Be nice!

GGalvez
Theist
User is offlineOffline
from your happy neighborhood theist :) Be nice!

My friends I've returned from a not-so-brief hiatus with foremost my apologizes(It's been too longFrown ). and I'd like to address a concern over the wealth of Ad hominem attacks against imaginary evil theists (I haven't seen too many contemptable people here but I could be wrong...) in the forum. Most of us Theists who actually do come to answer some questions here and have intelligent debate are oft to feel a little disenchanted when we see...

THEISM IS IRRATIONAL

I am rational, and I am theist. thus I resent the wording but not the content of this topic...I found it rather interesting(a few things were semihurtful but..) despite the attempt to engage how Rationality and belief in gods can exist...(I'll leave that for that part of the forum) I wanted to point out here how the topic itself is a personal attack on Theists rather than an invitation into debate.

Jesus Is NOT God

A priori. and a personal attack on Christians who believe this is true. I personally think people are people, but it's also an A Priori premise because I am NOT Christian myself.

How big is God's penis?

Need I really justify my reasoning here?

Christianity and Nazism

Ok let us not hold back too much on the issue here. Christianity is a faith, the Catholic church is an organization. Christianity has nothing to do with Nazism, but The Roman Catholic church was often accused of collaborating with the nazis. The truth is that they stayed the hell out of the way of Hitler and his likes often acheiving a cold ignoring which many argue is worse than collaboration. Organized religion is a hard thing to keep, look at Falun Gong in China and Tibetan Buddhism. Under the hand of any oppressive regime, good people will also falter to do deperate measures. Do be careful when associating this with faith. ok? This arguement seems too much like it's just going to lead into a blackhole of mudslinging(Not prettySad ).

I know that some theists can be real dicks (Most Theists call me heretic Smiling ) ...but the majority of them here aren't attacking anyone particular but trying to address some ideas.(I know for certain that I myself am trying to remain as neutral as possible) so I 'm just trying to point out that the Quality of Atheist-Theist discourse is starting to lack real substance without hurtful statements (I'm sure on both sides).

Just a message from your friendly theist, and now back to some good (and healthy) debate.

Peace be with you brothers and sisters.

G.G. 

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Did you read those threads?

Did you read those threads? Two of them were started by theists. And one of them appears to be a joke.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you read any of these

Have you read any of these forums?  Jesus is NOT God was started by a theist, for example.  Do not judge a thread by it's title, so to speak.

Please read the threads before you make snap judgments.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha, beat ya..

Haha, beat ya..

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
GGalvez

GGalvez wrote:

Christianity and Nazism

Ok let us not hold back too much on the issue here. Christianity is a faith, the Catholic church is an organization. Christianity has nothing to do with Nazism, but The Roman Catholic church was often accused of collaborating with the nazis. The truth is that they stayed the hell out of the way of Hitler and his likes often acheiving a cold ignoring which many argue is worse than collaboration. Organized religion is a hard thing to keep, look at Falun Gong in China and Tibetan Buddhism. Under the hand of any oppressive regime, good people will also falter to do deperate measures. Do be careful when associating this with faith. ok? This arguement seems too much like it's just going to lead into a blackhole of mudslinging(Not prettySad ).

That's my thread. I use the argument that some of Hitler's high ranking memebers were atheists to counter the argument that all Nazis were Christian. 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote: Haha, beat

Gauche wrote:
Haha, beat ya..

Damn!  I'm too slow!  lol.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah, don't sweat it you'll

Ah, don't sweat it you'll get the next one.

And remember there's no shame in being a pariah...oh wait.. 

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
GGalvez wrote: My friends

GGalvez wrote:

My friends I've returned from a not-so-brief hiatus with foremost my apologizes(It's been too longFrown ). and I'd like to address a concern over the wealth of Ad hominem attacks against imaginary evil theists (I haven't seen too many contemptable people here but I could be wrong...) in the forum. Most of us Theists who actually do come to answer some questions here and have intelligent debate are oft to feel a little disenchanted when we see...

THEISM IS IRRATIONAL

I am rational, and I am theist. thus I resent the wording but not the content of this topic...I found it rather interesting(a few things were semihurtful but..) despite the attempt to engage how Rationality and belief in gods can exist...(I'll leave that for that part of the forum) I wanted to point out here how the topic itself is a personal attack on Theists rather than an invitation into debate.

Jesus Is NOT God

A priori. and a personal attack on Christians who believe this is true. I personally think people are people, but it's also an A Priori premise because I am NOT Christian myself.

How big is God's penis?

Christianity and Nazism

I know that some theists can be real dicks (Most Theists call me heretic Smiling ) ...but the majority of them here aren't attacking anyone particular but trying to address some ideas.(I know for certain that I myself am trying to remain as neutral as possible) so I 'm just trying to point out that the Quality of Atheist-Theist discourse is starting to lack real substance without hurtful statements (I'm sure on both sides).

Just a message from your friendly theist, and now back to some good (and healthy) debate.

G.G.

Ok, so you dont think that theist say to themselves "Those atheists are full of crap"?

If I am not right according to you, then I am wrong according to you. So? What makes you think I would take offense to you saying "You are full of crap for not believing".

What I would do is say, "Ok, what evidence do you have that I am "full of crap".

All those titles of those threads are NOT personal attacks on YOU the individual or your right to believe. They are blasphemous to you but are mere criticisms to us as to the absurdity of the CLAIM not you, but the CLAIM you make.

But do not pull this "kumbya" stuff. No one is suggesting the opression of the opossition, not you, not me. But for you to be dishonest and deny that you dont think to yourself that we are "full of it" is dishonest. The only differance between you and I is that I dont sugar coat something just because it might make someone feel uncomfortable.

Insted of assuming that we are "insulting" you because YOU are stuck on words, why not actually read the threads and try to understand why we say what we say. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
GGalvez wrote: I know that

GGalvez wrote:

Actually, the majority of them do come here to attack atheists.  Those that stick around are the ones that do not do this.  There are rational theists out there and I am thankful for them otherwise this site would be boooooooring! 

Galvez wrote:

G.G.

Thanks for the message and glad you are back.

Thought be with you.

jce 

NarcolepticSun
User is offlineOffline
GGalvez wrote: THEISM IS

GGalvez wrote:

THEISM IS IRRATIONAL

I believe the thread is more to the point that theism (the concept) is irrational. You can be both rational and theist at the same time. For example, you can conduct nearly all of your life according to logic and reason - and, also believe in a deity. however, when it comes to belief in a deity, i have yet to hear a single argument, justification, and/or reason that remains within the realm of logic and reason.

every single statement i have ever heard has always been immediatly classifiable into an appeal to emotion and/or ignorance - OR it was a presumptious tautology based entirely on the theist's personal pretense... (which is BACKWARD logic).

The plain, simple and apparent presentation of the entire concept of a deity has always forced the theist defending it to exit logic and reason to support their claim, in my (and, essentially, everyone elses&#39Eye-wink experience. The claim "theism is irrational" is merely a reflection of such.

Quote:
Jesus Is NOT God

This cannot possibly be considered ad hominem toward a theist any more than the statement "Jesus IS God" as ad hominem toward an atheist.

Quote:
How big is God's penis?

These threads generally become entirely too serious. I posted this to give a light-hearted debate with candor.

Quote:
Christianity and Nazism

This thread was started by a theist in an effort to CONTRAST Christianity and Nazism.

SamSexton
User is offlineOffline
Belief in a God is not

Belief in a God is not irrational, let me just make that clear. In being rational we eventually come down to the question of what created the universe and i this inherently unknowable question all answers are valid. However, this means that deism can be rational but theism as we know it, that is, practacing a religion and attributing human emotions and thoughts to a god, that is irrational

NarcolepticSun
User is offlineOffline
SamSexton wrote: Belief in

SamSexton wrote:

Belief in a God is not irrational, let me just make that clear. In being rational we eventually come down to the question of what created the universe and i this inherently unknowable question all answers are valid. However, this means that deism can be rational but theism as we know it, that is, practacing a religion and attributing human emotions and thoughts to a god, that is irrational

I suppose so. The way I see it - deists are simply atheists whom failed to grasp the concepts of quantum mechanics (either because they rejected it, or have yet to learn it) - so... because of their disposition - they don't understand how to throw out the concept of god... so they retain this deistic version. There truly is a VERY thin line between deism and atheism.

Theism, on the contrary - latches itself explicitly against such things - and rides entirely on backward-logical pretenses and tautology. Instead of surveying what is - and concluding from it - theism attempts to hypothesize a conclusion - and delude the believer into altering seneroy perceptions to comply with the conclusion - instead of allowing them to contadict the pretnetious conclusion.

This is fine and dandy in the fantasy of your own head - however - rationale cannot possibly be applied when this fantasy and delusion is projected as a representation of reality.

A person can fantasize all they desire about an "invisible pink unicorn"... but when this fantasy is projected as reality - the person engaging in such MUST exit rationale to support their delusion.