Apology from Moderators of this forum required.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apology from Moderators of this forum required.

Two days ago, a Theist posted a topic in GENERAL conversations and humour.

This post and replies to it was moved to Freethinking anonymous forum by moderators, where the theist posts and replies were promptly destroyed.

Theist replies to this insult have also been deleted.

An apology is in order. The theists involved have not broken any rules, the moderators involved have contorted the rules of the forum to their own ends unjustly and unfairly.

That is all.

stuntgibbon
stuntgibbon's picture
User is offlineOffline
So are you saying you'd like

So are you saying you'd like to discuss 'The Secret' in here?

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
The rules for Freethinking

The rules for Freethinking Anonymous have been in place for quite some time. They were not contorted to fit anything.

I do not know who moved the posts, the moderator who deleted your comments was only doing his job. He had no way of knowing if your posts were moved there or if you posted there unaware of the rules.

You and Dylan can carry on your conversation in another forum and we are are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Mod team

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why would a thread started

Why would a thread started by a theist be moved to the atheist only forum? I think that is the relevant issue. Am I to expect topics that I post to be moved to a place where I can't particpate?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
Malice started the thread

Malice started the thread and Malice is not theist.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I dunno who moved

Well, I dunno who moved that, but bear in mind that all the mods come in part time, sometimes every day, sometimes not.  This is also not the most user-friendly board for mods, so I seriously doubt it was an intentional error.  For my part as a mod, though, I'm sorry for your inconvenience, and if I hear anything about how this happened, I'll do my best to avoid it in the future.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is not true AiiA. 

That is not true AiiA.  Dylan started his own thread and it was merged with Malice's thread. 

I ask only the same as wavefreak, can I expect my posts to be moved to an atheist only forum and deleted like this regularly?

BGH we cannot carry on the conversation, you and AiiA destroyed large paragraphs of it. At best we can rebegin the conversation, but as the topic is the same as Malice's topic how can we know no moderator would just move/merge that thread too?  

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
stuntgibbon wrote: So are

stuntgibbon wrote:
So are you saying you'd like to discuss 'The Secret' in here?

I'm saying that we were discussing it, in an appropriate forum for theists. Whether I want to is immaterial, why was I not allowed to is what I want to know.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Well, I

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, I dunno who moved that, but bear in mind that all the mods come in part time, sometimes every day, sometimes not. This is also not the most user-friendly board for mods, so I seriously doubt it was an intentional error. For my part as a mod, though, I'm sorry for your inconvenience, and if I hear anything about how this happened, I'll do my best to avoid it in the future.

Thankyou Hamby, I appreciate your sincerity.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: Hambydammit

Eloise wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

Well, I dunno who moved that, but bear in mind that all the mods come in part time, sometimes every day, sometimes not. This is also not the most user-friendly board for mods, so I seriously doubt it was an intentional error. For my part as a mod, though, I'm sorry for your inconvenience, and if I hear anything about how this happened, I'll do my best to avoid it in the future.

Well, you can do your part by not making assumptions about what was going on in the head of the person that merged the topics.

It is very common on many boards to merge posts that have the same topic. What it was actually moved to that forum is unknown here. It seems that the mods who have spoken in this thread are not making any assumptions either as to why, and have offered to look into it.

"Persicution" seems to start with the fallacy of "you are against me" from the start. If you are asking questions as to "why" this happened than you admit you dont know why. If you dont know why, dont assume.

And it wont get solved by dragging this out here. You have made your statement, the mods are now aware of your complaint. Take a deep breath without making assumptions, and let them handle it. I am quite sure whatever happened no one is "out to get you", even if an error was made.

The best thing you can do is move on and enjoy other threads and posts. The worst thing you can do is make accusations without knowing why happened.

I am not speaking as a mod myself, I am not a mod on this board. But I know from having been a mod on other boards that you seem to be damned if you do and damned if you dont.  I wouldnt read anything into it or make any assumptions as to motive.

Being a mod is akin to being a reff in sports. No matter how objective you strive to be, someone will always find a problem with how you are doing it. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
Eloise wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

Well, you can do your part by not making assumptions about what was going on in the head of the person that merged the topics.

It is very common on many boards to merge posts that have the same topic. What it was actually moved to that forum is unknown here. It seems that the mods who have spoken in this thread are not making any assumptions either as to why, and have offered to look into it.

only hambydammit has offered to look into it (or have it looked into alternately) of the three mods who have responded. i am justifiably upset by the actions of the other two.

Quote:

"Persicution" seems to start with the fallacy of "you are against me" from the start. If you are asking questions as to "why" this happened than you admit you dont know why. If you dont know why, dont assume.

And it wont get solved by dragging this out here.

on the contrary, it can only be dealt with out here without being summarily destroyed, discarded and subsequently denied by those who seek to use their respective privilege standing on hedonistic ceremony. i'm not making it up. the response prior to my posting here was to delete, ignore, point to specious matters.

Quote:

You have made your statement, the mods are now aware of your complaint. Take a deep breath without making assumptions, and let them handle it.

i fully intend to Brian. please do understand i reply to you now only to address te question of whether i am making unfounded assumptions. this isn't the case.

Quote:

I am quite sure whatever happened no one is "out to get you", even if an error was made.

i'm not saying any one is against me, and i full recognise an error was made. i am not upset that an error was made i am upset that two moderators having an error pointed out to them can only react with disdain and arrogance purely on the grounds of my having been saddled with the dreaded 'label'.

Quote:

Being a mod is akin to being a reff in sports. No matter how objective you strive to be, someone will always find a problem with how you are doing it.

i'm aware of that, but i was not given the impression that entailed privileged or capricious disrespect towards one of the teams when i came here, and i'm all too frequently encountering it now. things could be better is all, but they don't get better if you don't speak up when it's warranted.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: The rules for

BGH wrote:

The rules for Freethinking Anonymous have been in place for quite some time. They were not contorted to fit anything.

I do not know who moved the posts, the moderator who deleted your comments was only doing his job. He had no way of knowing if your posts were moved there or if you posted there unaware of the rules.

You and Dylan can carry on your conversation in another forum and we are are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Mod team

Please illustrate where the arrogance is in this post or in the other thread. I am merely clarifying the situation.

I am trying to remain diplomatic and you assume arrogance. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a "point of view"

This is a "point of view" issue.

"He said she said"

OK, but the bottem line is it is in the open and you certainly will not help your case by accusing mods of being arrogent. Again, I am not adressing this website. But having been a mod on other boards I have had that accusation unduely aimed at me.

My advice to you is now that has been aired, take a deep breath and move on and let the mods handle it without making any assumptions. I would not advise dragging it out.

Mods are not robots or computer programs and each case is unique and may not be as black and white as the accuser wants to make it out to be. Mods are not a "club" or a "gang".

Let it go. You wont be the worse for wear and you in turn can help maintain the flow of the board by not bogging down the board by dwelling on this. I have seen in the mod's responses that they are aware and will make the effort to take the issue under advisement. Let it go and let them do their job without making assumptions.

Having been a mod on other boards I am far to familure with being falsely accused of things I was not doing. Since you cant replicate the thoughts in their heads and stick them in your head, I dont think it is wise to assume intent.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise, please do not

Eloise, please do not assume that other moderators have not reviewed your thread or are not taking is seriously.  That is wrong.  The fact that only three have responded certainly does not mean others are not reading it and discussing it.  There simply is little more for me to say other than has already been stated.  You asked for an apology and have received one.  I have reviewed all of the posts and see no arrogance from the moderators.  You may think that this is because I am a moderator, but it is not.  It seems as though your feelings got hurt and for this I am sorry, but none of this was done intentionally.

In the future, if you have a problem with a moderator, please private message another moderator.  By starting this thread, you are in violation of the rules.  Out of respect for you, others are responding instead of deleting the thread.  As far as your question regarding how to avoid this in the future, it is a valid question and is being addressed.

I encourage you to re-read Brian37's post because I, too, feel that you have made a lot of assumptions without facts.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not quite sure accusing

I'm not quite sure accusing the moderators of arrogance is the right way to go about this.  All the mods that have responded have acknowledged that there may have been a mistake.  If they are not jumping to find out exactly what happened perhaps it is because they are doing something else right now and can't look into it at this time.  I am sure that some of these mods are checking posts while at work.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

The Patrician
The Patrician's picture
User is offlineOffline
An apology has been made

An apology has been made and accepted.  Any further discussion can surely be made by PM.

Suggest this topic is closed and everyone moves on with their lives. 

Freedom of religious belief is an inalienable right. Stuffing that belief down other people's throats is not.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: BGH wrote: The

BGH wrote:
BGH wrote:

Thank you,
Mod team

Please illustrate where the arrogance is in this post or in the other thread. I am merely clarifying the situation.

no, see, bgh, i am the one clarifying the situation and you in return are arguing that your ignorance of what happened excuses your behaviour.

Quote:

I am trying to remain diplomatic and you assume arrogance.

diplomatic would have been to apologise long ago when the opportunity was afforded. the fact that you took the time to ensure my responses were deleted before attempting so much as a weak hand waving refusal to address the facts dressed up with the sorry word makes an example of your priority imperative, and i'm sorry, it was not, in any obvious way, diplomacy.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
BGH wrote: BGH wrote: The

BGH wrote:
BGH wrote:

Thank you,
Mod team

Please illustrate where the arrogance is in this post or in the other thread.

i have illustrated the arrogance in the other thread, already.

the arrogance in this post is clear in you reiterating the specious matter of the fta forum rules having any relevance whatsoever, and your claiming not having known what was going on excuses you deleting my clarification of what was going on sans fair address.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Alright.  I think we have

Alright.  I think we have all seen what vinegar catches. Eloise, try honey next time.  In all instances, be pleasant.  Once you get what you want, then flip them the bird.  Geesh.

To the Mods:  Is there any way to bring back whatever gems of wisdom Eloise had squatted to produce on the forum?

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote:  All

pariahjane wrote:

All the mods that have responded have acknowledged that there may have been a mistake.

if that were true i'd have shut up by now, instead i have been asked repeatedly to defend my original position. now i chose the public forum for one reason, distrust was engendered in the original event by the moderators, i can only say it would have been further compounded if this thread was deleted too.

as that appears to have been acknowleged and respected by other moderators i am happy to let this go.

i realise this is not a huge issue, but i am compelled to stand my ground on the original greivance when it is questioned. that said it's right to move on now, and thankyou.

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote:

Eloise wrote:

no, see, bgh, i am the one clarifying the situation and you in return are arguing that your ignorance of what happened excuses your behaviour.

Whoa!! That is quite enough! When a thread is moved, there is no record of who moved it. BGH was simply trying to help to correct the situation and explain what happened.

Eloise wrote:
diplomatic would have been to apologise long ago when the opportunity was afforded. the fact that you took the time to ensure my responses were deleted before attempting so much as a weak hand waving refusal to address the facts dressed up with the sorry word makes an example of your priority imperative, and i'm sorry, it was not, in any obvious way, diplomacy.

How about this: BGH has been looking into what happened on his own time and working on preventing it from happening in the future. He did not ever owe you an apologiy, but he did offer one once he realized what had happened. He is not responsible for what happened but was offering you an explanation out of respect.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
jce wrote: Eloise

jce wrote:
Eloise wrote:

Whoa!! That is quite enough! When a thread is moved, there is no record of who moved it. BGH was simply trying to help to correct the situation and explain what happened. 

Eloise wrote:

How about this: BGH has been looking into what happened on his own time and working on preventing it from happening in the future. He did not ever owe you an apologiy, but he did offer one once he realized what had happened. He is not responsible for what happened but was offering you an explanation out of respect.

this cornering me to defend my grievance is only compelling the continuation of this thread. why should i accept responsibility for that while this continues?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: BGH

Eloise wrote:
BGH wrote:
BGH wrote:

Thank you,
Mod team

Please illustrate where the arrogance is in this post or in the other thread.

i have illustrated the arrogance in the other thread, already.

the arrogance in this post is clear in you reiterating the specious matter of the fta forum rules having any relevance whatsoever, and your claiming not having known what was going on excuses you deleting my clarification of what was going on sans fair address.

Let me repeat:

As one who has delt with other forums as a mod, I am telling you that pushing an issue and dragging it out WILL NOT HELP. 

Read and re-read as needed.

1. Mods are not robots.

2. Mods deal with conflict all the time and not just your conflict. Not just these mods on this board, but mods everywhere.

3. Do not assume intent.

4. Once the issue has been given to a mod, let them deal with it without dragging it out.

That is the best thing you can do. You do not help by continuing to drag it out. The mods are aware of what you have said. Take a deep breath, relax and let them deal with it. That is the best thing you can do.

No one is saying you are wrong or right. They are simply saying now that has been brought to their attention, let them deal with it without further conflict. 

Please take a deep breath and relax.  

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
No one is cornering you. I

No one is cornering you. I understand that you're upset but lashing out at the moderators really is not the best way to go about this.  PM a moderator and voice your grievance there. 

And follow Brian37's advice!!! Relax.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Methinks I smell the

Methinks I smell the beginning of a troll.....

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Methinks I

Nero wrote:

PLease Jane, relax and accept this is what you are asking and that is unfair all the more. I see noone telling Nero to relax.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: Nero

Eloise wrote:

Nero wrote:

PLease Jane, relax and accept this is what you are asking and that is unfair all the more. I see noone telling Nero to relax.

That's because I'm relaxed all the time.  I merely enjoy pointing out that your public attempt to chastise moderators is an act of gross irrationality.  In the future, send a PM if you do not want the "mob" to critique your poor choices.  With that said, proceed and make your choice of verbiage entertaining. 

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: Nero

Eloise wrote:

Nero wrote:

First of all, I posted prior to Nero's post, so I would be unable to anticipate what he would post.  Nor did I tell you to accept it.  You've made your grievance.  Instead of battering down the moderators in a thread, you should be PM'ing someone and discussing it. 

I don't see how that is unfair in the least. 

Quite honestly, this thread is becoming a bit troll-like.  I've read many of your posts and don't think you exhibit this kind of behavior on a regular basis.  You seem like you contribute reasonably.  That's why I'm suggesting that you PM someone instead of taking the route you have taken. 

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
This thread is being locked

This thread is being locked to prevent further escalation of this discussion.  The issue in question is being reviewed by the moderators.