Do I envy theists?
To me theism and atheism are not very different at all.
- I talk to myself in quiet hours too and I get many insights out of it. (I just don’t call it prayer.)
- I am part of something bigger, too – the universe, the Earth as a living planet, the human endeavor. (I just don’t call it God.)
- Good things happen to me all the time. (I just don’t call it a miracle.)
- I enjoy the beauty in the world: Nature, art, the magnificence of life itself. (I just don’t call it God.)
- I think I’m thoroughly moral, too and I feel the love for all human beings. (I just don’t call it God.)
To take all of this and force it all into one label to me is poor. And to imagine that this is a being that killed all the babies in Egypt to me is disgusting.
No, I don’t envy theists.
(I also posted this here: http://www.asktheatheists.com/questions/74_is_there_anything_you_envy_about_theists )