list of physical gods

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
list of physical gods

hey

i was wondering if someone has / can provide me with a link or a list of gods that have taken physical forms in their legends / stories?

i'm trying to google it but with the amount of Christianity stuff that comes up I haven't found anything very useful yet

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jesus, All the Greco-Roman

Jesus,

All the Greco-Roman Gods/Goddesses/Minor Deities

Pagan Gods

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Plus a few of the

Plus a few of the Mayan/Aztec gods, Norse gods took physcial form, various chinese gods (i can't remember them all and I am tooo lazy to google them right now) Hindu gods, Japanese, Native American gods nearly always took physical forms. I also believe a few polynisian gods took form as well.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Depends what you mean by

Depends what you mean by "physical form." In pre-Classical Greek near east, the god wasn't an abstract non-physical being that lived in a spirit realm--it was literally that carved piece of rock that lived in the temple (the god's house). The statue of Ishtar in the temple at Ur *was* the goddess in physical form.

The Arabs were *still* doing it this way up until Mohammed changed the situation in the 7th century C.E. That's why Mecca was the holy city: because that's where all the kidnapped gods were taken and set up as war tropies.

The idea of an abstract god who lives in a spirit realm away from the physical earth wasn't a widespread one until after the Greeks. It was one of the big innovations of the Hebrews after they got away from their whole worship-the-mountain-god period (at Sinai and Horeb during different periods): a non-material god that could not be kidnapped or destroyed by rival tribes.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Raiden - he took mortal

Raiden - he took mortal form to protect Earthrelm from the forces of Shao Khan by competing against his fighters from Outworld in mortal kombat. 

I think I'd be a believer if the bible was as cool as that Sticking out tongue

Finish Him 

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
* Heracles * Krishna *

* Heracles
* Krishna
* Mithras
* Quexalcote
* Buddha
* Attis
* Dionysus(Bacchus)
* Osiris
* Zoroaster
* Ra
* Apis
* Jove
* Amenkemp
* Horus
* Jason
* Adonis
* Bacchus
* Zarathustra
* Prometheus

My list anyway. 

"When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it." ~H.L. Mencken

Thank god i'm a atheist!

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
awesome...thanks all...keep

awesome...thanks all...keep um comin if you got more...but that may big good for my purposes Eye-wink