Christians why bother attacking evolution?

pokerpooner
pokerpooner's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians why bother attacking evolution?

Even before i ever heard of evolution in highschool I was atheist. The theist usually think if they can prove evolution to be wrong we'd start believing in God.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Usually it's only the fundie

Usually it's only the fundie types that do this, because evolution contradicts a literal interpretation of Genesis.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because they're silly.

Because they're silly.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Also same reason they

Also same reason they attacked the Heliocentric theory, germ theory of disease, etc, etc ,etc.

ParanoidAgnostic
ParanoidAgnostic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sometimes I think that

Sometimes I think that their motivation in this is not so much converting others but more that their own faith is threatened. Their god is a god of the gaps. A scientific explanation of how we came to exist makes those gaps a lot smaller. They are terrified that science is going to continue to shrink the places that God can hide so they are making their stand here.

Naturally that doesn't explain why they want creationism taught in schools. But then they don't seem to have such a good grasp of logic. It could just be that they get more certainty in their beleifs when more people agree with them... or maybe it's all just part of a scheme to sabotage science so that the god gaps can no longer be filled.

Oh, a lesson in not changing history from Mr. I'm-My-Own-Grandpa!

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic wrote: A

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:

A scientific explanation of how we came to exist makes those gaps a lot smaller.

Since we are "on the inside looking out" how can we know what gaps are left? Cosmology seems to be generating gaps as fast as they get filled. 

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually many fundies have

Actually many fundies have thought through very carefully exactly why they want to supress the teaching of evolution: they see it very consciously as the first step on a slippery slope away from their version of Christianity:

answersingenesis wrote:
In accepting evolution, liberal theologians reject a number of key Christian beliefs. ... If we cannot trust the Bible when it makes simple claims about when and by whom it was written, can we trust it when it makes much more important spiritual claims?

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v17/i1/god_evolution.asp

This dichotomy is the common doctrine of Bible literalists: either the bible is completely correct, or it is worthless.  So, since they genuinely believe this, they have to resist any attempt to show any inaccuracy in the bible.

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: Since we

wavefreak wrote:

Since we are "on the inside looking out" how can we know what gaps are left? Cosmology seems to be generating gaps as fast as they get filled. 

Yes, science generates more questions as we find answers but that's because the answers allow us to ask more specific questions. So there may be more gaps but that's only because we've broken big ones into smaller pieces.

As I said, the gaps get smaller.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
ParanoidAgnostic

ParanoidAgnostic wrote:
wavefreak wrote:

Yes, science generates more questions as we find answers but that's because the answers allow us to ask more specific questions. So there may be more gaps but that's only because we've broken big ones into smaller pieces.

As I said, the gaps get smaller.

I'm not trying to support the idea of the god of gaps. I am saying we can only talk about the size of the gaps we have already discovered. And new big gaps have been known to appear. One such gap is the disconnect between relativity and quantum mechanics. That gap was unkown in the 19th century and has persistently resisted solution throughout most of the 20th. I tend to side with history. We will continue to find large, difficult gaps even as we expand our knowledge.

ParanoidAgnostic
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: One such

wavefreak wrote:

One such gap is the disconnect between relativity and quantum mechanics. That gap was unkown in the 19th century and has persistently resisted solution throughout most of the 20th.

The disconnect between relativity and quantum mechanics only became aparent after we came up with quantum mechanics which filled a much bigger gap that we were aware of previously.

We couldnt explain the mathematical properties of black body radiation or the seemingly contradictory particle-wave nature of light. This was a masive gap. It was partially filled by quantum mechanics, only then did we become aware of the much smaller gap of the conflict between out model of very small things (quantum mechanics) and very large things (relativity)

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, pokerpooner. When

Welcome, pokerpooner.

When you get a minute, we'd love it if you'd hop over to General Conversation, Introductions and Humor and introduce yourself.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
From my experience, the

From my experience, the reason they fight it so hard is either one of a few reasons

1. They are threatened by it, they realize that it in many ways disproves their ideas and beliefs, as such they are afraid of this, after all change can be terrifying to some people.

2. They simply do not understand both the term of Scientific Theory (the majority that i have dealt have this problem) or understand the theory itself.

3. They cannot rationalize it in their minds at all, either the bible is true or science is true, it cannot be both and it cannot be science in their minds.

4. They have been so indoctrined with religion that they cannot see the faults in their arguements against evolution, and of course cannot see the fault in their logic for reasons against it.

5. Or simply because their parents didn't believe it, they won't believe it. This one have heard and debated someone about this. Pretty much falls under what i call the irish religion idea. Why do catholics hate protestants and visa versa? because me dad told me so.

simple theist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
I think we fight evolution

I think we fight evolution because it simply isn't true. When you can prove evolution to be true, I'm sure we'll stop fighting it. Why attack theism? I'm pretty sure that we would answer the evolution question the exact same way you just answered the why attack theism question.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
You want us to prove

You want us to prove evolution simple_theist? Fine, read my two posts here:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/yellow_number_five/evolution_of_life/7723?page=0#comment-77422

EDIT FIXED LINK 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

nonbobblehead
Theist
User is offlineOffline
"Even before i ever heard

"Even before i ever heard of evolution in highschool I was atheist. The theist usually think if they can prove evolution to be wrong we'd start believing in God."

It's kinda cute that in 2007, there are still people (usually young people, or school employees) that think they have an original thought on God versus no God. It brings a chuckle to my heart.

Here's something about atheism written centuries before Chucky Darwin was eevn born.

Psalm 14

1The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God "
         They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds;
         There is no one who does good.
    2The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men
         To see if there are any who understand,
         Who seek after God.
    3They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt;
         There is no one who does good, not even one.
    4Do all the workers of wickedness not know,
         Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
         And do not call upon the Lord?
    5There they are in great dread,
         For God is with the righteous generation.
    6You would put to shame the counsel of the afflicted,
         But the LORD is his refuge.
    7Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!
         When the LORD restores His captive people,
         Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Written thousands of years before Darwin was born. (Just a reminder to the ADD/ADHD crowd so ubiquitous in the Freethinker movement of the 21st century)

The bobbleheads have always moved in the same direction on their being no God. Even before bobbleheads were marketed.

"There's nothing new under the sun." 

Those Bible writers sure were intuitive.

0 x 0 = Atheism. Something from nothing? Ahhh no.
And Karl, religion is not the opiate of the people, opium is. Visit any modern city in the western world and see.

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I see now.  So because

Oh, I see now.  So because argument #62, the argument from absolute moral standards, was made a long time ago, it must be true.

Wow I can feel myself converting to Christianity as we speak.  Don't want to be called a "fool." 

"After Jesus was born, the Old Testament basically became a way for Bible publishers to keep their word count up." -Stephen Colbert

Textom
Textom's picture
User is offlineOffline
simple theist wrote: I

simple theist wrote:
I think we fight evolution because it simply isn't true. When you can prove evolution to be true, I'm sure we'll stop fighting it. Why attack theism? I'm pretty sure that we would answer the evolution question the exact same way you just answered the why attack theism question.

Aha, and so this is the same reason why theists fight the teaching of the theory of gravity or string theory in physics class (both of which have the same kind of scientific evidence as evolution, only maybe not as strong in the case of string theory).

Because the proper role and one of the main functions of religion in society is to police what is taught in science classes in secular schools.  Yeah, that makes sense.

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nonboblehead, I'm getting

Nonboblehead, I'm getting genuinely tired of your thinly veiled ad hominem attacks on atheists.

If you're going to insist that many of us are add/adhd, then you'd better have some statistics to back it up.

If you don't, you're just another pathetic theist who needs to attempt to neutralize us with insults because it's easier to ignore our message that way. 

Vorax
Vorax's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Even before i ever

Quote:

"Even before i ever heard of evolution in highschool I was atheist. The theist usually think if they can prove evolution to be wrong we'd start believing in God."

It's kinda cute that in 2007, there are still people (usually young people, or school employees) that think they have an original thought on God versus no God. It brings a chuckle to my heart.

It's kind of condescending when someone acts as if their world view is superior yet they are unable to show any evidence of it...correction that's not condescending, its laughable.

Quote:
Written thousands of years before Darwin was born. (Just a reminder to the ADD/ADHD crowd so ubiquitous in the Freethinker movement of the 21st century)

Yes, and thousands of years before that was written there were people who didn't believe in your god, infact no one did.  BTW: Do you know what ADD/ADHD is?  Read up then show how anyone on this thread has exhibited it....educate yourself, then speak again.

Quote:

The bobbleheads have always moved in the same direction on their being no God. Even before bobbleheads were marketed.

Who are these bobbleheads?  You mean like the dashboard jesus things? Sure some christians close their eyes to obvious facts but they aren't bobbleheads, just misinformed and brainwashed from child hood - it's a prison and they are victims... Eye-wink

Quote:

Well, they sure knew how to gather common sense and the stories of others and claim it as their own!  Research some history, large portions of the bible were "borrowed" (would be called plagiarism today, and probably have gotten them in legal trouble) from other sources.

"All it would take to kill God is one meteorite a half mile across - think about why." - Vorax

Visit my blog on Atheism: Cerebral Thinking for some more food for intelligent thought.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
nonbobblehead wrote:

nonbobblehead wrote:

Here's something about atheism written centuries before Chucky Darwin was eevn born.

Psalm 14

1The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God "
They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds;
There is no one who does good.
2The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men
To see if there are any who understand,
Who seek after God.
3They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good, not even one.
4Do all the workers of wickedness not know,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call upon the Lord?
5There they are in great dread,
For God is with the righteous generation.
6You would put to shame the counsel of the afflicted,
But the LORD is his refuge.
7Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!
When the LORD restores His captive people,
Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The bobbleheads have always moved in the same direction on their being no God. Even before bobbleheads were marketed.

Wow, I've never read the bible before...except for the first 21 years of my life when I studied it nearly every single day. Upon my 431st reading of the 14th Psalm, it finally makes sense. I'm going to renounce my atheism and embrace ignorance--er, fundamentalist Christianity--again. Not.

Now here's a little verse for you:

Matthew 5:22 "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Have fun roasting in hell. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Mattness
Mattness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maragon

Maragon wrote:

Nonboblehead, I'm getting genuinely tired of your thinly veiled ad hominem attacks on atheists.

If you're going to insist that many of us are add/adhd, then you'd better have some statistics to back it up.

If you don't, you're just another pathetic theist who needs to attempt to neutralize us with insults because it's easier to ignore our message that way.

Oh, they were veiled? 

Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. - Immanuel Kant