Rationality?

spiritisabone
User is offlineOffline
Rationality?

There is a lot of talk around here about rationality, being rational or irrational in relation to certain positions, etc.  In other words, rationality seems to be the standard by which what people say is judged.  However, how does this focus on rationality as the (seemingly) sole condition of the viability of one's position square with the developments of a good portion of 20th and 21st century thought?  I am thinking here of criticism leveled against rationality in disciplines such as psychoanalysis, literary theory, critical theory, continental philosophy, and so on.  I do not want to dismiss rationality completely; however, there have been important criticisms of rationality that should be taken into account.  

"The will to revolutionary change emerges as an urge, as an 'I cannot do otherwise,' or it is worthless." --Slavoj Zizek

theotherguy
theotherguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rationality is an immensely

Rationality is an immensely important in an argument. Sure, its not the only criteria for an argument, but it is the most important one.

"disciplines such as psychoanalysis, literary theory, critical theory, continental philosophy" -can you cite examples of the critisisms of rationality that these fields levy? I think its an interesting topic to explore.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Interesting... What

Interesting...
What criticisms of rationality could there be?
It makes me think that you've misunderstood what we mean by rational?

What do you mean by rational and what kind of criticisms are you thinking of? Perhaps you're thinking of positivism rather than rationality?