My answer to the "ultimate purpose". THEISTS READ THIS!

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
My answer to the "ultimate purpose". THEISTS READ THIS!

I have done alot of thinking, and I know that many Theists make the following point about Atheism:

"What's the point in living on this Earth for the blink of an eye known as human life? All people die someday, and it's as if their lives become meaningless after death. Ofcourse, people can make themselves a personal purpose in life, but does it even matter, when ultimately they are forgotten and their lives become meaningless?

If Hitler is not punished and Mother Teresa is not rewarded, then why should anyone have morals and try to live 'good lives', when ultimately it becomes completely meaningless? There has to be an ultimate purpose to life. If not, then there is no reason for us to exist."

I want to answer this question for Theists. Everyone likes to believe in life after death, me too, but I have found some sense in the "ultimate purpose" of  life. Let me start by telling you a story...

You are walking in a forest, and you come across an anthill. You see hundreds of dedicated, loyal ants swarming on top of it. All of who are ready to sacrifice their lives for their queen.

Then you decide to kick the anthill. You do so, and you see how ants are immidiately squirting acid at you, trying to attack you and repel you off. Then you start thinking, why are they doing this? It would hardly matter if I destroyed the entire anthill and killed every single ant, because in the end it wouldn't matter! Why is it that those persistent bugs think that their queen is so "important" that they would risk their totally insignificant lives to defend her?

Let's now assume that God exists, he's a good guy (unlike the one in the bible) and wants to save every human being. Jesus performed miracles and died for our sins. Let's assume that souls exist too.

Do you think that ANTS would have souls and go to heaven? Well maybe not, but if they did, then heaven would be swarming with ants and bugs! I can't see how humans can be anymore significant than ants. We are just ants living on a tiny anthill in the middle of nowhere. Why would God give a turd about something as insignificant?

The answer is, that there is no reason for ultimate purpose. That's not the way life works. Ants didn't evolve because they wanted to have an "ultimate purpose". They just want to live and do what they are meant to do, no matter how crazy it seems. 

Scientifically, evolution has no ultimate purpose. It just happens. There is more to life than just "meaning", so why wont you quit with your God delusions, and start enjoying your one shot chance to enjoy this life on earth? 

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

totus_tuus
Theist
totus_tuus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bummer!

Bummer!

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Larty

Larty wrote:

Scientifically, evolution has no ultimate purpose. It just happens. There is more to life than just "meaning", so why wont you quit with your God delusions, and start enjoying your one shot chance to enjoy this life on earth?

I rather enjoy my short life.It is just as annoying for atheists to assume theists are misrable as it is for theists to assume things like atheist sub-conciously believe in god.

Your logic is flawed.  Your claim is that there is no purpose or meaning. Your proof is to invoke a caring god, then say that it doesn't make sense that (s)he should care, therefore (s)he doesn't and hence the universe has no meaning.